Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Is It Normal To Feel Like Crap After Therapy?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Mood Disorder NOS, Epilepsy

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

I know my therapist is very good and experienced. and she has helped me a lot but, for me, it is very hard to deal with.
After some sessions I feel sooo depressed, etc., etc...
Have any of you felt this way after a therapy session?

Edited by lostanddelirious, 14 April 2008 - 08:19 PM.

Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 jenesaisquois

jenesaisquois

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS/Anxiety issues/Sleep difficulties
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, aripiprazole, venlafaxine XR

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:42 PM

I've felt pretty horrible after therapy. The first few months were a bitch. It's gotten better, but every so often I come out of a session that made me want to find a nice place to hide for eternity. I think its normal to have those crummy days.

Somewhere in my psychology textbook it says that therapy may have an effect on the amygdala. I can't find any articles off hand that explains it better, but it might be an interesting thing to look up when you have some time to kill.
Old Rx's: Lexapro, Remeron, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, trazodone, Seroquel, Klonopin, Ativan

Do not construe anything I say as medical advice - I just have a Philosophy degree.

#3 anywho

anywho

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII,PTSD Latest in Sig
  • Current Meds:See Sig

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:10 AM

LND, What type of therapy are you doing?
CBT made me feel better for the most part after each session because I was learning how to think and approach things differently. However once my life wasn't a weekly train wreck and it shifted more into talk therapy, delving into the past is where it went off the rails.
The type of therapy you are doing is almost as important as the type of meds you are taking.
Current Dx: BP NOS, PTSD, GAD, PCD, MDD, Fibromyalga
Rx: Lamictal 300mg, Valium 20mg, Abilify 15mg, Gabetin 300mg, Butrans 15mcg
Ex Rx: Zyprexa, Seroquel, Cymbalta, Nortryptaline, Effexor, Topamax, Klono

#4 In_Remission_Hallydakotacheyene

In_Remission_Hallydakotacheyene
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:45 AM

I used to always feel good after therapy. I liked my theraspist, and things were helpful. then I went a long time with out going, but then started to feel like I was having some problems. I went to see her, and she just dismissed all my problems, and said all of it was normal. I left the place feeling really bad, angry, etc. I never went back to her again. I'm seeing a really good psychiatrist now, that spends an hour with me each time. It's a better situation altogether.

#5 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:02 AM

Well I feel like sometimes it is good and sometimes I feel awful after. The past 3 times it was really good but yesterday I was Very depressed. I felt like I got nothing out of it. Or maybe I did. I started talikg about unrelated stuff and didn't make sense. She seemed more out of sorts then I did. Maybe because she just got back from vacation??? I don't know. Or maybe I am just sensitive. Sometimes she provides a lot of feedback but yesterday she didn't. We talked too much about my meds that I don't take every day. I felt like we were making progress but yesterday I think she forgot to look at her notes beforehand or something. Cuz I had told her somethinast week and wheb I brought it up this week she forgot about it. She usually remembrs everything.
I will try and just chalk it up to her coming back from vacation.
Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

#6 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

Therapy often didn't "feel good" to me and it isn't necessarily supposed to leave you feeling great afterwards. Though I agree that it would help to know what kind of therapy you're getting. Sometimes, before you get better, you feel worse for a time depending upon what your issues are.

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

#7 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

I sometimes felt depressed after therapy, but that was because painful stuff was discussed during the session. My "therapist" (a clinical psych grad student) warned me about it beforehand and asked whether I was at a point in my life when I could deal with the extra depression.
Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#8 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

I know my therapist is very good and experienced. and she has helped me a lot but, for me, it is very hard to deal with.

I guess this really depends on what type of 'ground' you're covering, your dx, your personality, etc.

Finding answers can be a powerful release for some people.
Some people don't want to know the answers because it causes too much pain.

jook

Thank u. Very true plus I am extremely sensitive to how she responds.
I think I feel a little bit of both. Release AND pain.

#9 rkontos

rkontos

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Diagnoses:DD, migraines, partial seizures, panic disorder

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:13 AM

Quite often in fact. I think it probably depends on what you are dealing with in therapy. I am dealing with trauma so often times I am in a bad way. It seems to me therapy brings it out and then you are left to assimilate it and put it away. Like cleaning a closet, you are left with stuff to find a place for. I guess for me, it is not always a settling thing to deal with and I grapple with thinking it is what I want to do. I question my decision to continue a lot. I have trust issues and it is hard to go to the places the therapist says I need to go. But then again, some of the places I think I need to go to. So yes, I often feel like crap. I often need to nap afterwards.

I did not understand the nature of therapy. I have realized that although you have a therapist their role at least to me is one of supervisor and you do all the hard crap. It is a lonely journey really. But I do have some where I feel better afterward. Those don't happen often at least not in the beginning. But now they happen a little more often.

Still I am unsure about therapy in general. but not ready to quit. Maybe in all, it is a necessary evil for some of us. You are right. It helps but it is hard to deal with.

rsk

Edited by rkontos, 16 April 2008 - 08:13 AM.

"I think there's a great beauty to having problems. That's one of the ways we learn."
-- Herbie Hancock, musician.

meds: wellbutrin-225mg. topamax-100mg. armour-45mg. xanax .75 and other shit for my adrenals
too much to name here.

#10 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

Absolutely, all the pain from that awful stuff needs to be drained like an infected wound for it to heal properly.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

#11 In_Remission_Rach

In_Remission_Rach
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

Quite often in fact. I think it probably depends on what you are dealing with in therapy. I am dealing with trauma... It seems to me therapy brings it out and then you are left to assimilate it and put it away. Like cleaning a closet, you are left with stuff to find a place for. I guess for me, it is not always a settling thing to deal with and I grapple with thinking it is what I want to do. I question my decision to continue a lot. I have trust issues and it is hard to go to the places the therapist says I need to go. But then again, some of the places I think I need to go to. So yes, I often feel like crap. I often need to nap afterwards.

I did not understand the nature of therapy. I have realized that although you have a therapist their role at least to me is one of supervisor and you do all the hard crap. It is a lonely journey really. But I do have some where I feel better afterward. Those don't happen often at least not in the beginning. But now they happen a little more often.
rsk

I honestly couldn't have expressed it better. As I delve deeper into a lot of the long term baggage that's been tucked away as a result of my illness, I find myself angrier and angrier and experiencing more intense emotions than I ever have as part of the therapy process - and going home and being extremely violent. That's not to say that that's a good way of dealing with it... but nonetheless... It's the assimilation of what's been talked about that week, the week before, what happens in between sessions - it all comes together. I spend a lot of time thinking abou stuff, writing... trying to make sense of what's going on in therapy to try and be insightful about it.

If you feel like crap, tell your therapist - call in between sessions and leave him/her a message if you have to - saying as much. It might be that the approach to how you discuss issues needs to be addressed, or maybe you need to change the frequencies of your meetings or something... I know that I did that with my therapist, and it helped... Your therapist won't know how much you're suffering unless you express it.

#12 She of the metaverse

She of the metaverse

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1, Borderline, Aspies
  • Current Meds:Edronax, Lithium

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:59 AM

I always feel like crap after any of my "treatments", I do however blame myself because I walked in saying "Take of the kiddy gloves, dont pander to me".

That was however my own personal choice, thinking back to when I actually started with counselling though..I didnt come out drained or wrecked as a kid, but then I never really took any positive out of it.

I do think it depends on what you are actually working on too, some things that may be semisettled for example wont be a draining as other events that havent been faced before.

So in reply I would say it is probably "normal" to feel like crap if you have been turning over some heavy duty issues, but perhaps not so "normal" if you leave feeling crappy because you felt you were neglected or totally misunderstood.
Current dx:Bp1, Borderline, Aspies
Former dx:PTSD, PND, Depression, Agoraphobia, SAD, GAD, OCD, MDD (beat em, yay me)
Current meds:Edronax (4mg am and pm), Lithium (500mg am and pm)
Have had:Prozac, Zoloft, Avanza, Cipramil and Risperdal

#13 Bipolar Bear

Bipolar Bear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I or II, depending on who you ask
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 200, Ultram, Vyvanse 50 mg, klonopin .5 mg prn

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

I'll weigh in here.

My therapist is AWESOME. And this is one of the reasons why.

I was pretty much dragged into therapy kicking and screaming. And when I got there, I showed up curled up in a ball on the couch staring at my therapist like he was a bomb about to go off.

We spent the first three months doing CBT type stuff. Sort of. It was relaxation exercises and stuff. Pretty much a lot of "here's how you get back to 'good' after a rough emotional thing." I had been having anxiety attacks and such, so it was helpful at the time. What I didn't realize at that point was that he was setting me up for success later on.

For the first year I scheduled therapy at the end of my day- when I didn't have to go to class or go to work afterward. If I needed to, I had time to just go "deal." And yes, there were many days where that was the case.

I guess the answer is yes. Sometimes it hurts more after a session, but there's probably a good reason for it. A good therapist prepares you for the fallout.

Remember kids, Snape didn't kill Dumbledore, Michael Gambon did.

"Ah, war. God's way of making Americans learn geography." ~ Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

Dx: Bipolar Something (depends on who you ask...), ADHD- inattentive type, some anxiety stuff, PTSD
Alt Dx: "Nutty as squirrel poo." (quote from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
Rx:Seroquel- 200 mg at bedtime, Vyvanse 50 mg, Klonopin .5 mg prn

Favorite things: Harry Potter, Seroquel, flannel sheets, my Tempur-pedic bed, pajama pants, massage, music, reading, Coca-Cola, Starbucks, sleep

Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.

#14 Darknessiss

Darknessiss

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I mania with psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia), ADHD (Combined Type)
  • Current Meds:Seroquel , Effexor XR, Vyvanse, Coumadin (warfarin)

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

I feel bad for the first month or so but I would feel no worse than I did prior to getting in with a therapist. It takes awhile to get out of the negativity and to actually trust my new therapist, after I begin to work on my core issues I start feeling a little more optimistic and then begins the "natural high" after each session.

I have had great success with therapy but currently I can't afford it due to lack of cash flow and no insurance :mad:

-Jason
Prescribed Meds: Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) 70mg, Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) 600mg, Effexor XR (venlafaxine Hcl) 300mg, Coumadin (warfarin) 5mg

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3 (fish oil gels), Mega Men's Supplement (for libido)

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

John Donne 1572 ? 31 March 1631

#15 Lazarus Prime

Lazarus Prime

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

Absolutely, all the pain from that awful stuff needs to be drained like an infected wound for it to heal properly.

Yes, and also for us Bipolars if you aren't facing your demons in therapy, IMO you're doing something wrong. I do not want to admit and make amends for all the shit i've pulled and pained i've caused, but I have to if I want to get healthy. In therapy I want to own up to every bad thing I did because of my psych- or biology issues, admit and acknoledge the pain I caused and do my best to 1) Make amends with those hurt and 2) Prevent it from happening again. Easier said than done, but I guess what i'm getting at is that "a normal person in therapy" doesn't necessarily have to own up to being in a violant rage or stealing a car or having sex with 5 people in one day -- someone who is Bipolar probably has done those things or more, and you need to work through it at some point. I know i'm sounding very ominous just trying to be realistic -- but keep in mind that the more stuff you work through, the better you will feel (overall) and the better person you will be :mad: Seeing yourself treat those around you fairly and yourself with respect is really important, so you may feel like shit for a day or week but you gotta look @ the big picture.

#16 In_Remission_Calliope

In_Remission_Calliope
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

I'll weigh in here.

\

We spent the first three months doing CBT type stuff. Sort of. It was relaxation exercises and stuff. Pretty much a lot of "here's how you get back to 'good' after a rough emotional thing." I had been having anxiety attacks and such, so it was helpful at the time. What I didn't realize at that point was that he was setting me up for success later on.

For the first year I scheduled therapy at the end of my day- when I didn't have to go to class or go to work afterward. If I needed to, I had time to just go "deal." And yes, there were many days where that was the case.

I guess the answer is yes. Sometimes it hurts more after a session, but there's probably a good reason for it. A good therapist prepares you for the fallout.

So true! I know when it's time to take a rest now, even if I don't do it quite right. In the long run, the anger and frustration can get better. In the past, I walked out of a session knowing full well that I HAD to take charge of some things and acknowledge others.

I've recently been back in therapy and have felt, maybe a day later, all sorts of regrets. Ended up calling my therapist to mention these feelings of remorse and angst. I leave a message, write it all down, and make sure to address it the next time.

My hardest question is, "How do you feel about...?"

#17 therapeuticbrigg84

therapeuticbrigg84

Would-be Neurologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Diagnoses:generalized anxiety, social anxiety, fibro/insomnia (schizotypal catch all)
  • Current Meds:GBP 300mg, HCTZ 25mg, ARTANE 2-4mg PRN, TRAZ 50mg PRN, fish oil

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

specially when you have a therapist how is like so dramatic and serious, it sucks to have one of those. you can care and still not be so serious.

dx: schizotypal personality disorder, dystonic neck and back pain, GERD. a bit of TD, akathisia, dysmorphic thoughts, affect is questionable

seroquel and inderal 60mg made me fatigued/ depressed. may hafta try lopressor or bisoprolol

inderal interacts with ssris and anti-psychs.

success HCTZ not only lowers my blood pressure and pulse more effectively. but it also has helped with the headaches ive been having. i should see a doctor about this.

[color="#0000FF"]rx: klonopin .5-1 prn, omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3 iu, albuterol sulfate inhaler, magnesium hydroxide(for the constipationg)

in flux: seroquel 50mg
up and coming: nuvigil

looking into injectables.

artane 2 mg PRN(rare), trazodone 50mg PRN, lyrica PRN?

#18 Lazarus Prime

Lazarus Prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

I thought i'd put in my 2cents after now being in 3 therapy sessions a week for the past 8 months or so.
I strongly believe that the answer is No -- I have not personally dealt with sexual abuse in my past, nor PTSD events such as rape or war trauma or major hospitalization, so I honestly can't comment on those. However, whilst working through my many amounts of personal bullshit acquired over my 25 years (yeah i'm young deal with it! :)) and also dealing with other issues such as sexual addiction, drug addiction, and major fuckups like having sex with people other than my girlfriend, saying terrible things that can't be taken back, and acting like a total fucking doucheface to people I care about, I can say that No, you should NOT feel like crap after therapy. At least not regularly. Taking responsiblity for the shit you've pulled is paramount (http://www.crazymeds.us/12step.htm) but the pain and shame and regret from that shouldn't last too long -- the point here is to OWN what you are and who you've done (EDIT: lol! meant to say own who you are and what you've done, but I suppose this works too for many of us), LEARN from it, MAKE AMENDS, and CHANGE. No where in there is "feel like a worthless shitbag" :mad: A friend of mine firmly believes that what's keeping us from being happy and enlightened 24/7 (not the MI, just people in general) is Guilt. Think about it, many many issues for MI or Normies can be traced back to guilt about something. I try to apply that to therapy -- being guilty and shamed and angry at yourself is natural, but it doesn't get you anything to hold on to it. Feel like a worthless piece of shit for a while -- some of us DID act like a worthless piece of shit, or worse, have been repeatedly treated like one. But the whole point of therapy IMO is to move past that. Fix it, forgive, yell at monkeys, make donations, whatever you need to do, do it, but therapy shouldn't make you feel more depressed or more guilty. I would say if that's the case, you are looking at Wrong Meds or Wrong Therapist. More often than not when I leave therapy, I feel great. I have a glow and a sense of peace and love, and want to call my friends and text I Love You to my girlfriend. THAT is a therapy session :)

Footnote: You may feel uncomfortable, I sure as shit know I do when working through all the weird shit in my past, but once you break through the stuff that makes you really uncomfortable, it feels great. Good therapy is liberating and makes you feel awesome.

Edited by Sduibek, 19 May 2010 - 08:35 AM.

#19 In_Remission_Dosey-doe

In_Remission_Dosey-doe
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

I have not been fond of therapy. Perhaps I have the opinion that I haven't found a good one yet (maybe one).

On the one hand, it is good to get things off your chest. On the other - too much focus on the shit, guilt, etc, depresses me. Cultivating friendships is most helpful, but not the whole ticket. Balance, support from many sources, best for health?

Isolating and keeping things too close to the chest - rx for depression, anxiety. thus the need for more meds?

this forum seems to help me. Nice to find a group to relate to. Hard for me to try to relate soley to folks who don't know first hand.

NAMI has been a good source of help and hope in that regard.

#20 Lazarus Prime

Lazarus Prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

Dosey-doe, might want to check out CrazyBoards too :mad:

#21 inOr

inOr

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, and ADD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, lexapro, bupropion, & sleep meds(2)

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

My 2cents based on years of therapy:
The most important thing in talk therapies is to talk! My unhappiness and distress after therapy is usually a result of something that happened during the session and my way of interpreting it. If you are getting uncomfortable with something that's happening in a session, say so. Don't feel you must have it all figured out before you say it. Don't feel you must stay on topic if the topic makes you uncomfortable (eg. angry at the therapist, ashamed, guilty) or your mind wanders. Letting these issues lie can block the process. What's happening in the moment during the process is important, and it takes mindfulness to identify your feelings of discomfort as they come up. In other words, one of the purposes of therapy (group as well as individual) is to develop mindfulness.
In particular, shame gets in my way in therapy and in life, generally. When I sense that a behavior, present or past, is going to create shame, fear sets in and I avoid that topic, or lie, or censor myself. In order to get over this problem, I need total acceptance from my therapist, and I think that's probably true of most folks.

#22 3jane

3jane

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Diagnoses:I guess it was Schizoaffective Bipolar type all along?
  • Current Meds:Risperidone PRN, 900mg Lithium, 100mg Lamotrigine, 100mg Trazodone for sleep

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Oh, yes. My first few sessions with the university counselor made me so uneasy afterwards I had to leave class. Unfortunately, the only time she was available was directly before my first class of the day. It's not that she wasn't accepting or she made me uneasy- she was very charming and I definitely felt comfortable with her. Its just talking about the things I needed to talk about dredged up some nasty emotions that bugged me all day.
I think it's pretty normal for the first few sessions with someone new (or your first few sessions ever) will be kind of... uneasy like that because you don't know what to expect.
Queen of the "edit" button!

#23 bergsonisme

bergsonisme

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Diagnoses:F31, F44, F82, F90
  • Current Meds:LTG, CPZ, Li2CO3, MFL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

This is common. BUT -- this is significantly [citation needed] more common with the psychodynamic/psychoanalytic therapies, which are all bunk, and sometimes harmful. Watch out for what kind of therapy you're getting.

I don't do therapy, but I get to talk for 40-60 minutes (after med checks, physical check-up, etc.) about my life prospects, whether I'm achieving my goals, whether they're realistic or there's something in the way pdoc2 thinks that can be corrected. It feels really good, if only because I'm talking about the wider needs, which really really few people get (why do you want to understand differential geometry 'better'? Why do you want to build a second robot? Why are you still using film for photography? What's with this DJ stuff now?) in the context of the limitations that the disease gives me, whether in a good or bad phase. Helps me focus, too -- no Big Bayesian Model of Urban Traffic yet, I figure.
I'm off the bus. I randomized my password punching the keyboard and copying-and-pasting it.

#24 forgetmenot

forgetmenot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar type), GAD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Wellbutrin XL, Haldol, Saphris

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

I've definitely felt like crap after a therapy session but more often than not, I feel better. I guess it's natural!

current rx: wellbutrin xl 450 mg, lamictal 300 mg, Haldol 0.5 mg, Saphris 5 mg

celexa, prozac, navane, xanax, klonopin, vistaril, effexor xr, lithium, abilify, benztropine, buspar, risperidone, trazadone, cogentin, latuda

#25 Manic Monday

Manic Monday

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII - rapid cycling, OCD, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Paroxetine, Sodium Valproate

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

I would almost always feel depressed, cry, go home and curl up on the couch etc after seeing my doctor/therapist. It still happens sometimes, but no where near as much or as often.

Bipolar II with rapid cycling (diagnosed 05/2010), OCD, PTSD
Current meds: Paroxetine, Sodium Valproate
Past meds: Moclobemide, Escitalopram, Fluoxetine, Venlafaxine, Duloxetine, Quetiapine
Also: PCOS, Lactose Intolerance

#26 MsNoir

MsNoir

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bo Polar 1, PTSD, Borderling personality. Angorphobic
  • Current Meds:Abilify, Oxcarbenzapine, Klonapine, Cymbalta, Propanalol

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Why keep therapy with just the therapist or Dr. I believe it is "therapeutic" to go for a drive and listen to music and sing my lungs out. Go fishing and get in touch with the sunrise and nature. Cook something like a really good pie and have a piece b4 dinner instead of after - or break some rules.
Yes I have spent years in therapy and have a great therapist and a new P Doc that seems to be working out but lets not limit ourselves to them

Yes I see the ? was about therapy in the sence of therapist - but I am trying to think outslide the box. Once your in the "box" and 6 feet under - there is no thinking at all - :mad:

Ms Noir

Edited by MsNoir, 28 March 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#27 facelessbelief

facelessbelief

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1 with Psychotic Features with Rapid Cycling.
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin SR 400mg, Zoloft 200mg, Latuda 160mg, and Abilify 20mg

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

I think it happens to all of us. I think sometimes when you are forced to look at the things that hurt the most, or make you think the most. Those are the times that you may feel like crap after therapy. But that is part of why we go to therapy, is to face those demons that haunt us the most.

MsNoir, you are right about doing things you find therapeutic to help yourself also.
Good news. The only scientific ways I know of to spread my brain cooties are for you to become my child.

This is my fight. The disorder may have won a few battles. But I will and have to win the war. For it is a war against the worst kind of enemy..... Myself.

Previous Meds: Lamictal 200mg, Tegretol 200mg, Paxil, Trazodone 200mg, Wellbutrin, Prozac 20mg, Geodon 120mg.

#28 whackthatquack

whackthatquack

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, eating disorder NOS, attachment disorder, anxiety
  • Current Meds:zoloft

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

yes omg I so often feel like crap...but I also often feel like "god I'm glad I talked about that" or relieved that she understands/cares about me. It definitely goes both ways. Sometimes at the same time.

#29 fitfrenzy

fitfrenzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Anxiety Disorder, Migraines, Hypothyroidism

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Yes.  Therapy can be very draining.  I call them "scab picking sessions."  Rip off the wound so you can work on those sore topics.

One time I had my hour long psych session and the only other time I could get in with my therapist was after the psych session. Two hours of different types of therapy.  I was exhausted and slept for several hours after that.

Sometimes I feel beat down after therapy, other times I feel upbeat. Just depends.

Current Med Cocktail:

Lithium 1350 mg,

Depakote 1000 mg,

Seroquel 400 mg,  

Levothyroxine 137 mcg.

Finally off the benzos and the propranolol!

#30 Red shoes

Red shoes

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:Nocte desvenlafaxine 200mg nocte amitriptyline 150mg

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yes. Last week I was so relieved when she said 'time's up'! Went to the nearest restroom and splashed my face in water.
I find it's helpful to sit somewhere afterwards and write about what came up. I find it can help clarify things a bit - finding the conversation difficult can trigger things (hopefully in a good way!) and make me go 'ohhhhh of course...'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog