Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Need Substitute For Seroquel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 weatherphobia

weatherphobia

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, OCD
  • Current Meds:Abilify Lithium Lamictal Equetro Seroquel

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

I need to know a good substitute for SEROQUEL. I was/am taking 800mg per night of SEROQUEL.

I need it for sleep and the anti psychotic help it gives.

So if someone could name a substitute I might be able to tell my insurance company.
thanks

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 sorrel

sorrel

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Diagnoses: Bipolar I
  • Current Meds: lithium 1800mg (1 mmol/L)

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

I thought we had determined via your past posts that Seroquel doesn't even help you and you have intolerable side effects from it besides. (May I remind you of your post titled "The Seroquel is killing me now"?) Do you really need or want a substitute?

You are already taking another antipsychotic, Abilify, which should have you covered as far as psychotic symptoms are concerned. Again, going by your past posts, Abilify prevented psychotic symptoms where Seroquel failed to do so, anyway.

As for sleep, there are plenty of things that you could take for sleep that don't have the weight gain or other problems you've had with Seroquel, and which your insurance won't balk at either. Maybe trazodone?
It's terrible, Bob, to think that all I've suffered, and all the suffering I've caused, might have arisen from the lack of a little salt in my brain.

--Poet Robert Lowell, to publisher Bob Giroux, about lithium

#3 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

I need to know a good substitute for SEROQUEL. I was/am taking 800mg per night of SEROQUEL.

So if someone could name a substitute I might be able to tell my insurance company.
thanks

Those underlined words don't lead to any links.

Oh, wait, you were trying to get your point across by emphasizing particular words. Try using italics instead. It's less confusing.

In any event, the closest substitute in terms of what Seroquel does is a cocktail of haloperidol, cyproheptadine and dicyclomine.

Of course, as dicyclomine and cyprothptadine aren't psychiatric medications it would be a stretch to get a shrink to prescribe them. So you'd be stuck with just the haloperidol. Benadryl does some of what Seroquel and dicyclomine do, just not as well, but you can discuss with your doctor about adding that to haloperidol to help with sleep. No prescription or insurance hassles required.

That is if this is purely an insurance issue and one has to compound Seroquel from a cheaper standard antipsychotic and other cheap generic medications and/or over-the-counter stuff. It's the sort of thing people have to do at poor people clinics.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#4 weatherphobia

weatherphobia

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

I thought we had determined via your past posts that Seroquel doesn't even help you and you have intolerable side effects from it besides. (May I remind you of your post titled "The Seroquel is killing me now"?) Do you really need or want a substitute?

You are already taking another antipsychotic, Abilify, which should have you covered as far as psychotic symptoms are concerned. Again, going by your past posts, Abilify prevented psychotic symptoms where Seroquel failed to do so, anyway.

As for sleep, there are plenty of things that you could take for sleep that don't have the weight gain or other problems you've had with Seroquel, and which your insurance won't balk at either. Maybe trazodone?

Yes the seroquel has caused an obscene amount of weight gain, this is true. I recall posting about this but now I have no choice. The insurance company is determined to not pay for both Abilify and Seroquel. Since Seroquel has given more more mental health benefits I decided to stick with it, I know it seems crazy but what else can I do?

I need the Seroquel for both mania and psychotic features I suffer sometimes plus the sleeping issue.

Trazadone is not an option, I tried that years ago and it caused 24x7 erections 'priapism' which my reg-doc said was dangerous and so I stopped taking it.

If my posts sound confusing it is because I am very confused right now. I have been a test pig for nearly 50 medications in the last 20 years. I sometimes cannot remember how long or when I took a particular medication.

My apologies

#5 weatherphobia

weatherphobia

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

thanks

Those underlined words don't lead to any links.

Oh, wait, you were trying to get your point across by emphasizing particular words. Try using italics instead. It's less confusing.

In any event, the closest substitute in terms of what Seroquel does is a cocktail of haloperidol, cyproheptadine and dicyclomine.

Of course, as dicyclomine and cyprothptadine aren't psychiatric medications it would be a stretch to get a shrink to prescribe them. So you'd be stuck with just the haloperidol. Benadryl does some of what Seroquel and dicyclomine do, just not as well, but you can discuss with your doctor about adding that to haloperidol to help with sleep. dangerous phising site or insurance hassles required.

That is if this is purely an insurance issue and one has to compound Seroquel from a cheaper standard antipsychotic and other cheap generic medications and/or over-the-counter stuff. It's the sort of thing people have to do at poor people clinics.

I have an old bottle, 9 months ago, of Haldol prescribed when I was hearing loud voices and noises. I guess if the insurance route doesn't pan out I'll be forced to take some Haldol from time to time.

I really do appreciate everyone's help. I may seem frazzled but I do appreciate everyone's help on this board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog