Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Best Way To Get Off Trileptal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Hallydakotacheyene

In_Remission_Hallydakotacheyene
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hi guys, I'm a new member, but not new to this site. I have a question, but I'll give you a little back ground first. This whole thing started a little over 2 years with tons of horrendous panic attacks. My regular doc put me on clonazepam, which was a life saver, and celexa which was the pits!!!!! I eventually went to a Pdoc , they knew I had panic attacks, panic disorder etc, but were trying to decide if I was bipolar2. I eventually got off celexa, got on more clonazepam, and went through 2 Pdocs, and a therapist. I tried paxil, and went through torture to get off that. My new pdoc in dec. 2007 decided i am bipolar2 , she started me on Trileptal, I Mpdoc said ok, just go down by 75 mg every week. I'm down to 675 mg now, I also have been decreasing my clonazepam and am down to 2 mg a day. I have had a really hard time going down on clonazepam. I might also be having with drawal from trileptal. Has anyone gone off of trileptal? If so, How was it for you? I am open to the idea that if I go into a not good place, either up or down, that I will go back on trileptal, but for now, I want to be med free except for the 2 mg of clonazepam. I appreciate any help that you can give. Thanks,
Dakotacheyene

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_Krizzy

In_Remission_Krizzy
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hi. :mad: I was on Trileptal from 2004-2005. I was up to 600mg (2 300mg tablets).

I would go down half a tablet at a time for one week.

450mg - 1 week
300mg - 1 week
150mg - 1 week

And had no problem stopping after weaning.

Good luck!!

PS: It took me 2 YEARS to find a doctor that would help get me off of the Paxil. What a pain in the royal a** that was. I ended up having to go on the liquid suspension form and wean down 1mg at a time. Took forever, but once I was able to get off of it, it was like the best day of my life!

Edited by Krizzy, 14 March 2008 - 03:30 PM.

#3 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

Hi guys, I'm a new member, but not new to this site. I have a question, but I'll give you a little back ground first. This whole thing started a little over 2 years with tons of horrendous panic attacks. My regular doc put me on clonazepam, which was a life saver, and celexa which was the pits!!!!! I eventually went to a Pdoc , they knew I had panic attacks, panic disorder etc, but were trying to decide if I was bipolar2. I eventually got off celexa, got on more clonazepam, and went through 2 Pdocs, and a therapist. I tried paxil, and went through torture to get off that. My new pdoc in dec. 2007 decided i am bipolar2 , she started me on Trileptal, I Mpdoc said ok, just go down by 75 mg every week. I'm down to 675 mg now, I also have been decreasing my clonazepam and am down to 2 mg a day. I have had a really hard time going down on clonazepam. I might also be having with drawal from trileptal. Has anyone gone off of trileptal? If so, How was it for you? I am open to the idea that if I go into a not good place, either up or down, that I will go back on trileptal, but for now, I want to be med free except for the 2 mg of clonazepam. I appreciate any help that you can give. Thanks,
Dakotacheyene

First off, you need to talk to your Pdoc and find out which she wants you off of, Trileptal or Klonopin. It sounds as if she is tapering you off of both, simultaneously. While that may be the case, it makes it difficult to establish what the hell you're feeling, and, IMO, is shitty medicine. Change. One. Thing. At. A. Time.

Now, as to discontinuation, from the main page on discontinuation:

You must work with your doctor! You are not qualified to make this decision on your own. Got that? What you and your doctor need to do is work out a discontinuation schedule for any medication. This is the reverse of the titration schedule (if any, which I'm actually against), which was the plan of how your dosage was increased. The discontinuation schedule is the plan of how you'll decrease the amount of a med you'll take. Ask your doctor what it is based on. There are three things a discontinuation schedule should be based on:
the half-life of a drug

looking for the return of any symptoms

experience with taking someone off a med

The last one is either other people going off the same med or you coming off of the same or other meds. Or both.

and

So if you take the half-life of a med and multiply it by five that's the minimum number of hours between when you can next lower your dosage by whatever the lowest dosage the med comes in is. The problem, of course, is that some meds get metabolized more than once, they have active metabolites, or they have really short half-lives and you'd be coming off to fast to give yourself a good idea to know if it was a good idea or not to stop taking this particular med. However, I do note in most of the med's profiles what the minimum amount of time that I recommend is between stepping down each dosage.

But you really need to go read the entire page.

And call your Pdoc for clarification.

Dymphna

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#4 In_Remission_Hallydakotacheyene

In_Remission_Hallydakotacheyene
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hi, Thanks for the info, I know what you mean about the paxil. I think I felt the worst going off of that!!!! I told my Pdoc that I will never take another SSRI again!! Ugh!!! It's good to see how you were able to go down even faster than I am on the trileptal. My Pdoc approves of my schedule, but I wonder if I could go faster. I am no longer lowering my clonazepam. I am planning to stay at 2 mg, so hopefully I won't have any more problems from that. Just one question, did you feel dizzy when you were going off trileptal? I occassionally get a dizzy feel , sometimes when I'm sitting up, but often when I first lay down. It's kind of a weird thing!! Any way, Thanks.
Dakotacheyene

Hi. :mad: I was on Trileptal from 2004-2005. I was up to 600mg (2 300mg tablets).

I would go down half a tablet at a time for one week.

450mg - 1 week
300mg - 1 week
150mg - 1 week

And had no problem stopping after weaning.

Good luck!!

PS: It took me 2 YEARS to find a doctor that would help get me off of the Paxil. What a pain in the royal a** that was. I ended up having to go on the liquid suspension form and wean down 1mg at a time. Took forever, but once I was able to get off of it, it was like the best day of my life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog