Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

Pharyngolaryngeal Pain

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GingerPeach

GingerPeach

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD or Bipolar NOS
  • Current Meds:225mg Effexor, 15mg Abilify

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Side effects = Anatomy Lesson

I've been taking Cymbalta for 5 days. Two days at 30mg, two days at 30mg twice a day, and 60mg once today (all taken with meals, breakfast or breakfast/lunch). My mood has been normal, compared to four weeks of crushing depression on Lexapro (stopped the night before starting Cymbalta). The mood seems to be great, the mild headaches leading to a full on throbbing in throat, sinuses and ears today - not so much.

Yes, this could be a cold, but it's listed as a side effect on the PI sheet (page 19 on the pdf) and I hurt in a very specific place. Here, in fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharynx

I've tried Mucinex D (nothing), Tylenol (a little) and nasal irrigation (a little) but the fan on my computer still feels like ants crawling into my ears.

I sympathize with all ye flu symptom sufferers coming off Cymbalta, but if I'm going to feel flu-like the entire time I take it, I'd rather just switch now to avoid as much withdrawal as possible.

This is listed as an infrequent side effect, but I'd love to know if someone else has experience with it. Does it end?
Meds: 10mg Lexapro, 25mg Seroquel, 15mg Mirtazapine, 25mg Trazodone prn, Ambien, Lithium 0.77, 60mg Cymbalta, .5 Lorazepam , Risperidone, 150mg 300mg Effexor, 15mg Abilify

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Silver

Silver

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Do you have heartburn/GERD symptoms as well?
Bipolar I

Science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. It is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good. --Terry Pratchett

#3 GingerPeach

GingerPeach

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

Only the occasionally mild twinge of heartburn, but acid reflux is definitely way up (not a problem when I'm not medicated, now anytime I lean over or sit down it seems) and my sinuses definitely feel inflamed, and there's chronic ear itchiness/pain. (I'm working off a Wikipedia definition.) Do these count?

Thinking it's the stomach acids? I could see that, but I'm wondering why it's just the upper portion of my throat/nasal area.

Any remedy?
Meds: 10mg Lexapro, 25mg Seroquel, 15mg Mirtazapine, 25mg Trazodone prn, Ambien, Lithium 0.77, 60mg Cymbalta, .5 Lorazepam , Risperidone, 150mg 300mg Effexor, 15mg Abilify

#4 Silver

Silver

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

Talk to your FP/psy about it, but it seems like it would be worth maybe a trial of a reasonable dose of a PPI or an H2 blocker for a week or so. Reflux shows up in weird sneaky ways. Irritation of the esophagus translates to irritation elsewhere. It's a good idea to let someone shine lights in your ears and nose and listen to your lungs. You could just as easily have seasonal allergies, etc.
Even if it doesn't address the oropharyngeal pain, it might help with the reflux per se.
But definitely talk to your prescriber/s first to get their blessing.
Bipolar I

Science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. It is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good. --Terry Pratchett

#5 GingerPeach

GingerPeach

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

Thanks Silver, will give the pdoc a call tommorrow.

#6 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

Thinking it's the stomach acids? I could see that, but I'm wondering why it's just the upper portion of my throat/nasal area.

Any remedy?

GERD can go all the way up there. Till I treated mine I had sinus infections and ear infections almost monthly.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Eszopiclone 6 mg, Vyvance 70 mg, Levetiracetam 2,000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg, Alprazolam 1-2 mg, Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg, Propranolol 20-40 mg

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#7 laursmd

laursmd

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Diagnoses:docs cant decide between BP II or Persistent Depression w/MDD, also PTSD, possibly OCD
  • Current Meds:LTG 150 mg, Brintellix 10 mg, Remeron 15 mg, Requip 0.5 mg, Klonopin 0.25 mg QAM, 0.5 mg QHS

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

Side effects = Anatomy Lesson

I've been taking Cymbalta for 5 days. Two days at 30mg, two days at 30mg twice a day, and 60mg once today (all taken with meals, breakfast or breakfast/lunch). My mood has been normal, compared to four weeks of crushing depression on Lexapro (stopped the night before starting Cymbalta). The mood seems to be great, the mild headaches leading to a full on throbbing in throat, sinuses and ears today - not so much.

Yes, this could be a cold, but it's listed as a side effect on the PI sheet (page 19 on the pdf) and I hurt in a very specific place. Here, in fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharynx

I've tried Mucinex D (nothing), Tylenol (a little) and nasal irrigation (a little) but the fan on my computer still feels like ants crawling into my ears.

I sympathize with all ye flu symptom sufferers coming off Cymbalta, but if I'm going to feel flu-like the entire time I take it, I'd rather just switch now to avoid as much withdrawal as possible.

This is listed as an infrequent side effect, but I'd love to know if someone else has experience with it. Does it end?

You arent the only one. Ive got it too................blergh.......................
dx: who the f knows? I've been told BP II or Persistent Depressive D/O with MDD.  Everyone agrees on PTSD and possible OCD, RLS, essential hypertension, severe seasonal allergies, asthma
ncurrent rx: Lamictal 150 mg, Brintellix 10 mg, Remeron 15 mg, Klonopin 0.25 mg QAM, 0.5 mg QHS, Requip 0.5 mg Diovan HCT 160/25 mg, Amlodipine 5 mg, Pulmicort 180 mcg 2 puffs BID, Albuterol sulfate 2 puffs PRN, Xyzal 5 mg, Azelastine 1 gtt each eye BID, Patanase 2 squirts each nare BID, Nasonex 2 squirts each nare QHS, Vit D 2000 IU, Omega 3,6,9, Calcium, Magnesium, prenatal vitamin, and the oddest of odd 12-24 oz coconut water daily the week of the full moon (something about water-lyte balance in the brain, and soon to star immunotherapy for my allergies
past meds: Prozac, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, Lexapro, Abilify, Paxil CR, Ambien CR, Trileptal, Cymbalta,Amitriptyline, Zoloft

#8 In_Remission_badgene-etics

In_Remission_badgene-etics
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for over a month, now at 60 mg. Just finished fazing off Effexor which was virtually inefective but I tried for 6 months or so to make it work. Have had pharyngeal and laryngeal pain, swollen glands (mostly unilateral) and red throat for practically the whole month but just recently made the possible connection. As usual, my doc's have never heard of this symptom. Even went to the ENT to get a culture. Put me on first allergy meds. No improvement. Then prilosec for GERD. I had no symptoms of GERD otherwise. The Prilosec made me nauseaus and seems to actually give me GERD symptoms, ironically. And the throat still hurt. If anyone else has any more pharyngreal pain with Cymbalta, I'd be interested to hear about it. And thanks for the posts. You make me realize I'm not crazy. Oh wait...I am. : )

#9 GingerPeach

GingerPeach

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

Bummer - mine went away after a week or two, but also amounted to 4 or 5 days that felt like an awful sinus infection. Ever tried nasal irrigation? It seemed to help, as would a humidifier I imagine.

#10 In_Remission_Lou

In_Remission_Lou
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:17 AM

I have taken Cymbalta in the past (I now take Bupropion)...in any case, I also have GERD. It may be that these particular AD's can contribute to acid reflux...

but so can bending over a lot, lying down too soon after taking pills, not drinking enough fluid when taking pills, sleeping on your right side, tight pants, tight bra, alcohol, caffeine, mint, eating too much or too close to bedtime, excessive stomach acid, SOD, hiatal hernia...the list is endless.

I sympathize!!... not only is reflux painful, it can cause serious health issues. The cure? Start with lifestyle changes; because if Cymbalta is a good AD for you, it should be the last thing you eliminate.

We recently raised the head of the bed six inches. By morning my poor husband is half way down the bed with his feet hanging over the edge :mad: . ..and the fitted sheets keep popping off at the top.

Next I'm going to try one of those therapeutic bed wedges.

Gurggle...

Edited by Lou, 23 May 2008 - 05:48 AM.

#11 rebnej

rebnej

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Diagnoses: BP I - mixed ep/rapid-cycling, Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta Abilify Lamictal Klonopin Inderal

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:14 AM

Wow, I'm so glad I found this post. I thought I was just experiencing the longest cold ever. Thanks, now I know what to talk to my pdoc about (well, another thing to talk to her about).

#12 Rayjean

Rayjean

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

I had larnygeal pain while on Cymbalta and hardly had any voice along with it. This occurred in the first few weeks of treatment. My doctor & I thought I was depressed and that was why my voice was different. People wouldn't even recognize my voice on the phone. Eventually, we figured out that I was having vocal tremors so my voicebox hurt & was weak. Eventually, (and I mean up until 2 mos. after it was stopped), it completely went away.

#13 In_Remission_badgene-etics

In_Remission_badgene-etics
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

Started on over the counter famotidine (pepcid) 10 - 20 mg once daily at the same time as I took the cymblata and this eliminated the laryngeal pain relatively quickly. I think it would have been immediate had it not taken so long to figure this out. My throat was trashed by then and it took like a week to recover. If I try and skip the famotidine, the pain returns. Seems pretty straight forward now but it took a while to figure out. The ENT doc was the one to diagnose and make the connection not my psych doc. Hope this helps!

#14 In_Remission_Nicky R.

In_Remission_Nicky R.
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

I have been on Cymbalta for over a month, now at 60 mg. Just finished fazing off Effexor which was virtually inefective but I tried for 6 months or so to make it work. Have had pharyngeal and laryngeal pain, swollen glands (mostly unilateral) and red throat for practically the whole month but just recently made the possible connection. As usual, my doc's have never heard of this symptom. Even went to the ENT to get a culture. Put me on first allergy meds. No improvement. Then prilosec for GERD. I had no symptoms of GERD otherwise. The Prilosec made me nauseaus and seems to actually give me GERD symptoms, ironically. And the throat still hurt. If anyone else has any more pharyngreal pain with Cymbalta, I'd be interested to hear about it. And thanks for the posts. You make me realize I'm not crazy. Oh wait...I am. : )

I am also having unilateral swollen glands that I can only attribute to Cymbalta. I haven't had a sore throat, just the swelling and pain on that side. Did you learn anymore about the side effect, like if it was dose related? Did it eventually go away?

#15 In_Remission_kdoaktown

In_Remission_kdoaktown
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

...So I am not going crazy...(well, that's relative)...I've had that weird sore throat and sinus thing for weeks...it developed sometime after I went up to 60mg...it is finally starting to fade, but it is still there...I too was wondering if this was the weirdest cold ever...one day I even felt so bad I was convinced I had the stomach flu...I am so wanting cymbalta to work for me, but I feel like it is making things worse...especially now that I am on 90mg...I took this drug because I really didn't want to take effexor again...I think these side effects might be worse...I am also taking buspar with the intent that it counteracts any possible sexual side effects from cymbalta...I am able to have orgasms (not on effexor or zoloft), but since I started talking buspar and cymbalta at the same time, who is to say that it is buspar that is allowing that to happen?

#16 Nutter 6

Nutter 6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Diagnoses:see sig
  • Current Meds:see sig

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:00 PM

I developed a sinus infection not too long after going on cymbalta--don't know if there's a connection or not. But a sinus infection is a hell of a lot worse a thing than I knew! I had fever/chills, severe aches all over in addition to headaches, extreme fatigue, bad smells and tastes in my head...

My family care doc wound up putting me on an antibiotic. That along with ibuprofen and ice packs on my head did the trick.

If you're having these symptoms, see your family care doc. Sinus infections, once established, don't go away without antibiotics.
Dx: OCD, GAD, PD, ADHD, Pain due to jaw injury hyperirritable trigeminal, facial, and spinal accessory nerves following jaw injury (Two Three Four Five months now, and counting...)
Psycho Rx: Cymbalta, 90; Vyvanse, 30; Klonopin, PRN, up to 1.5 x 3;
everchanging Pain RX: Neurontin, 400; Acetaminophen 650 x 3 (sometimes with codeine); Voltaren, PRN; Physio, Upper and lower jaws splinted, Lots and lots of ice...some nutters wear tin foil hats; I like ice hats...

---
'But I don’t want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can’t help that,' said the Cat. 'We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.'
'How do you know I’m mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,” said the Cat. 'or you wouldn’t have come here.'

#17 beek

beek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

Shit. This post explains a lot.

I thought I was crazy since the pain in my throat was lower than a typical sore throat and my voice was weak for a several days. This was after an increase to 90mg- a 30 with lunch and 60 at bedtime.

It's been a few weeks and the pain is fading and my voice is normal. I will probably discontinue or lower my Cymbalta anyway, since it crapped out on me and I slid into a moderate depression on it. Lamictal is my new buddy.
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions