Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Wellbutrin Anxiety Side Effects?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_lolcat

In_Remission_lolcat
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

Hi all,

Been hanging round the site for a bit but here's my first official post!

Have a question about Wellbutrin SR. First a little background, if that's okay. I was diagnosed with some mild anxiety issues about 18 months ago. Saw a counselor for a bit. Was given celexa 20mg and occasional xanax .25, both prescribed by my GP. After about a week of cottonbrain and thick tongue, I seemed to adjust to the celexa and did okay. Didn't get anywhere with the talk therapy and dropped out but continued on the celexa. got by. In the last few months, I started having much greater anxiety, sleep issues (I couldn't) and my general disorganization and inattentiveness at work seemed to reach more epic proportions.

So, started seeing a new therapist (much better one) and was evaluated by a pdoc. Lo and behold, I have ADHD. He's switching my meds around, which I'm in the midst of doing. Started on Wellbutrin SR--up to 200mgs a day for about 2 weeks. Just started easing off the celexa. (cutting back a 1/4 tab a day). Next week I add Vyvanse into the mix.

I seem to be tolerating the wellbutrin sr fairly well. I have a bit of cottonbrain but I expected that after my initial weeks on celexa. One thing that is concerning is I seem to be having bouts of anxiety every afternoon. It's not debilitating, like a full-blown panic attack, but I get a bit of heart racing and shortness of breath thing. A bit of an issue when I'm in a meeting at work and trying to participate in the conversation and not look like a doofus. I've found that a .25 xanax seems to help smooth it over--but am not too thrilled with taking that at work.

So, long story short, (as if that's ever possible for me!), is the afternoon anxiety delight likely to go away after a bit or is this something I should be worrying about? Is adding in the vyvanse going to make things worse or better? eesh.

Thanks!

lolcat

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Sasha

Sasha

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 200mg, Wellbutrin XR 450mg

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

Both Vyvanse and Wellbutrin can exacerbate anxiety, espescially when you first start taking them. You should let your pdoc know what's going on, and see if he or she wants to change your dosages or slow down your titration of either med.
"I tell you, if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman... S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what." - Edith Bouvier Beale

#3 In_Remission_lolcat

In_Remission_lolcat
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

Both Vyvanse and Wellbutrin can exacerbate anxiety, espescially when you first start taking them. You should let your pdoc know what's going on, and see if he or she wants to change your dosages or slow down your titration of either med.

Thanks for the reply. It seems to be getting better each day so I'm hopeful it will pass completely. Now I'm only getting some of the symptoms of anxiety---muscle tension or feeling like I can't take a deep breath--but it passes and there is no mental anxiety along with it. I'm hopeful!

lolcat

#4 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. It seems to be getting better each day so I'm hopeful it will pass completely. Now I'm only getting some of the symptoms of anxiety---muscle tension or feeling like I can't take a deep breath--but it passes and there is no mental anxiety along with it. I'm hopeful!

lolcat

Am always "a bit more sore" while on Wellbutrin. Less so after being on it a few weeks. No more full blown panic attacks, but I beat that one to death in therapy. Overall, I'd say (after having been on both) that Welbutrin is less activating to overall anxiety than out and out stimulant medications, so pDoc may be on to a good choice for you if anxiety is part of the big picture. Starting with the Welbutrin rather than the Vyvanse, I mean. For me, don't get extra "mental" anxiety sx., in fact if anything the provigil slows my brain down. Do get a little jittery, physically, at first on Provigil (another stimulant med). Was easy for me to mistake this feeling for sx. of a panic attack, at least early on. If anxiety's really severe though, you might want to run it by pDoc to manage sx. Do you take XR, or SR, or what? Welbutrin, as it is short acting, may actually be causing REBOUND sx of jitteriness in late afternoon, if you get what I mean. I sort of felt jittery at first right after taking dose of Welbutrin., but also later as it was decreasing out of my system. These changes are subtle though. Could have been all in my head.

Gosh. Just d/c provigil due to mixed E., and damn! It's so very very fun to have BP sx. and ADHD sx. all at once! Sorry if the above makes no sense.... Better go do something brainless.

I sometimes wonder, since there's blood pressure things, and stuff, if this overall more active body thing with Welbutrin is sort of related to the way the med works. I mean, for ADHD, Welbutrin can function as a stimulant. Also seems to take less time to build up in the system, as compared to say, SSRIs.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#5 In_Remission_lolcat

In_Remission_lolcat
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

Getting better but I wish I could get this damned elephant off my chest!

Seriously, I'm not feeling anxious and the lightheadedness and fuzzyness have largely gone away but this feeling like I cannot take a deep breath is really getting me down. I feel like I have to really focus on breathing and have to fight to take anything but a shallow breath; like I have a heavy weight or pressure on my chest. Yet if I get distracted by something that takes my mind off it, it passes. As soon as I'm no longer engaged, back comes the weight. Anyone experience this? If I know it'll pass, I'll grit my teeth and wait. I'm at day 16, taking 200mg SR daily. Not adding vyvanse to the mix til I'm adjusted to the WB.

thanks!

#6 In_Remission_World's Worst Accident

In_Remission_World's Worst Accident
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:30 AM

Seriously, I'm not feeling anxious and the lightheadedness and fuzzyness have largely gone away but this feeling like I cannot take a deep breath is really getting me down. I feel like I have to really focus on breathing and have to fight to take anything but a shallow breath; like I have a heavy weight or pressure on my chest. Yet if I get distracted by something that takes my mind off it, it passes. As soon as I'm no longer engaged, back comes the weight. Anyone experience this? If I know it'll pass, I'll grit my teeth and wait. I'm at day 16, taking 200mg SR daily. Not adding vyvanse to the mix til I'm adjusted to the WB.

thanks!

I'd had periods of heart racing and chest pressure while starting Wellbutrin XL but never a constant heavy weight. Mine did ease up after about 3 weeks but I'd call in and chat up the doc and be sure everything is okay.

#7 imposslimbo

imposslimbo

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Delusional Disorder
  • Current Meds:Abilify - 5mg; May soon start back on WellbutrinXL @ 300mg.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:14 AM

elephant off my chest!

this feeling like I cannot take a deep breath is really getting me down. I feel like I have to really focus on breathing and have to fight to take anything but a shallow breath; like I have a heavy weight or pressure on my chest. Yet if I get distracted by something that takes my mind off it, it passes. As soon as I'm no longer engaged, back comes the weight.

Have you ever had these symptoms before taking Wellbutrin? I had symptoms very similar to these one summer at school, long before I even ever heard of Wellbutrin. It was my first and hopefully last full blown panic attack. I have overall problems with anxiety, mostly social anxiety, but that was a panic attack I experienced when I couldn't hardly breathe and my chest kept pulling really tight. I suffered through it for a couple days because, like you said, the feeling will go away if you can get deeply engaged in something. After a couple days though, I couldn't take it anymore and asked a friend to take me to the hospital. The doc at the hospital gave me some muscle relaxants and something else that I can't remember. It calmed me down and was really effective in preventing/alleviating that heavy chest symptom. This had nothing to do with Wellbutrin though, but maybe similar meds could help you out still.

#8 bluegirl

bluegirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

thanks!

Hi, I'm new.

I'm going through this exact thing right now. Just started Wellbutrin about five days ago. I have never had issues with panic attacks or much anxiety at all really but I do have these physical symptoms. There's no corresponding mental axiety though.

Also, I go from hot to cold and back again all day long.

But wow am I ever amped up. Is it possible for an a/d to kick in for someone this fast? I went from feeling like the walking dead, no motivation, ready to just lay down and die depressed when I dragged myself into the doctor's office. And now, I've got energy to burn. It's almost too much. I'm hoping it'll level off a bit as I adjust.

I did not see a pdoc. Probably not the best idea but my insurance makes you jump through hoops to see mental health professionals. Complete bullshit if ya ask me. It's just easier for me to go to my regular doctor. I don't necessarily agree with family doctors handing out these meds but... you do what ya gotta do.

This isn't the first time I've been on Wellbutrin, or meds in general. Last time I was on it I don't remember feeling like this but then it was being used as an add-on to my Effexor, trying to fix my broken orgasms... didn't work but drove my sex drive through the roof. So that was even more frustrating.

With my last major depression the first med the pdoc threw at me was Effexor and it was like my miracle drug. I didn't know life could feel like that. Then I started feeling so good that the side effects became more of an issue and I stopped it and went on the med go round and nothing ever quite worked as well as the Effexor.

I'm hoping this time around the Wellbutrin will be enough to pull me up out of this.
Dx:
"I have a working Dx of Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits."~pdoc
Tdoc says possibly BP II

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin 300mg, Ritalin LA 20mg, Klonopin .5mg, Geodon 80mg
PM Geodon 80mg, Klonopin .5mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil, zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#9 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:53 AM

Hi all,

Been hanging round the site for a bit but here's my first official post!

Have a question about Wellbutrin SR. First a little background, if that's okay. I was diagnosed with some mild anxiety issues about 18 months ago. Saw a counselor for a bit. Was given celexa 20mg and occasional xanax .25, both prescribed by my GP. After about a week of cottonbrain and thick tongue, I seemed to adjust to the celexa and did okay. Didn't get anywhere with the talk therapy and dropped out but continued on the celexa. got by. In the last few months, I started having much greater anxiety, sleep issues (I couldn't) and my general disorganization and inattentiveness at work seemed to reach more epic proportions.

So, started seeing a new therapist (much better one) and was evaluated by a pdoc. Lo and behold, I have ADHD. He's switching my meds around, which I'm in the midst of doing. Started on Wellbutrin SR--up to 200mgs a day for about 2 weeks. Just started easing off the celexa. (cutting back a 1/4 tab a day). Next week I add Vyvanse into the mix.

I seem to be tolerating the wellbutrin sr fairly well. I have a bit of cottonbrain but I expected that after my initial weeks on celexa. One thing that is concerning is I seem to be having bouts of anxiety every afternoon. It's not debilitating, like a full-blown panic attack, but I get a bit of heart racing and shortness of breath thing. A bit of an issue when I'm in a meeting at work and trying to participate in the conversation and not look like a doofus. I've found that a .25 xanax seems to help smooth it over--but am not too thrilled with taking that at work.

So, long story short, (as if that's ever possible for me!), is the afternoon anxiety delight likely to go away after a bit or is this something I should be worrying about? Is adding in the vyvanse going to make things worse or better? eesh.

Thanks!

lolcat

I started Wellbutrin 3 wks ago and I'm also having trouble with anxiety side effects. Just found your post and wondered if you're still on the Wellbutrin and if you're feeling better?

Karen

#10 In_Remission_lolcat

In_Remission_lolcat
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hi Karen,

Yeah, it gets better. I'm still at 200mg WB SR daily and have added in Vyvanse at 40mg per day. While I don't have quite the level of "hooray, it's a new day!" euphoria with the WB as I did in the first few weeks, I am feeling pretty good. Anxiety has largely subsided, as have the breathing symptoms. I get a teensy bit of tenseness in the afternoons but it's from the Vyvanse and passes easily. So, stick with it and it will get better.

lolcat

I started Wellbutrin 3 wks ago and I'm also having trouble with anxiety side effects. Just found your post and wondered if you're still on the Wellbutrin and if you're feeling better?

Karen
[/quote]

#11 Darknessiss

Darknessiss

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I mania with psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia), ADHD (Combined Type)
  • Current Meds:Seroquel , Effexor XR, Vyvanse, Coumadin (warfarin)

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

I had terrible anxiety attacks while taking Wellbutrin 300mg sr and it only got worse the longer I was on it. I don't see why Wellbutrin would be useful for ADHD. I know that it is prescribed sometimes to adults with ADHD but it did not help with any of my ADD symptoms. Vyvanse will probably reduce anxiety (dextroamphetamine almost totally eliminated my anxiety).
Prescribed Meds: Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) 70mg, Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) 600mg, Effexor XR (venlafaxine Hcl) 300mg, Coumadin (warfarin) 5mg

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3 (fish oil gels), Mega Men's Supplement (for libido)

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

John Donne 1572 ? 31 March 1631

#12 The Lightning Stalker

The Lightning Stalker

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, Aspergers, GAD, Other stuff no one can figure out
  • Current Meds:Trazodone 50, Pristiq 50 BID, Vistaril 50 BID

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

Yeah, the Vyvanse really is wonderful stuff. It gives you energy and makes you feel great all at the same time. Some people do get the anxiety though. The thing with anxiety is that the more you try to fight it, the more you get. You just have to give up fighting it and it will eventually disappear. Not fighting it is one of the hardest things to do but the more you do it the easier it gets. I know it doesn't make sense but that's just the way it happens, trust me. Also controlling your breathing will help eventually as long as you don't force the issue. It takes about 8 weeks to work if it's going to work, but it's better than any drug. This is one of the things they teach you in psychotherapy (if they know what they're doing). You should really go to some kind of psychotherapy in addition to the drugs because they will work together.

#13 Shatneresque

Shatneresque

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder,ADD, checking the stove.
  • Current Meds:Not a thing.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

Just reviving this old thread because I'm searching for answers to my shortness of breath. It's not anxiety, it's real shortness. Like walking up the stairs or doing anything and I sound like I'm 90 years old. I'd like to stay on it if I can but that's a bit scary. I've only been attempting to take this for several days.

Anyone else?

Edited by Leener, 11 November 2008 - 10:58 PM.

I feel better already!

#14 In_Remission_nycgirl

In_Remission_nycgirl
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

thanks!

Hi,
I am having the exact same experience. I started on wellbutrin about a week ago and just started having this problem around two days ago. I was wondering if it is getting better?
Thank you
o

Edited by nycgirl, 14 April 2009 - 03:15 PM.

#15 creepy

creepy

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:200mg sertraline 300mg lamotrigine

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

Im having some minor physical anxiety symptoms from wellbutrin as well. Im working on getting a prescription for the name brand version to see if the anxiety sticks around.
I dont get panic symptoms like shortness of breath or rapid heartrate, but I do get very nervous and fidgety
Im just sick and tired of my pharmacy changing generic brands on me right and left. One month its global, the next its watson or teva. Im convinced each is slightly different from the other in terms of potency and side effects. What makes it more complex is that in order to get to 450 I have to take a 300 and a 150 so there are two different generics in the mix.
Zombiez ate my brain
and spat it back out, blecch...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog