Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Does The Side Effect Of Blurred Vision Ever Go Away?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ghosts

ghosts

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Enabler
  • 295 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP I, OCD, TBI
  • Current Meds:lithium, methylphenidate, NAC, diazepam

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I believe that Abilify is causing blurred vision (of course I'm on 5 meds, but I think it is the Abilify). It's annoying and difficult as in my profession I have to do a lot of reading. Does blurred vision eventually resolve itself like some other common side effects?

10+ years and counting--stops on the med-go-round: Lexapro, citalopram, sertraline, Effexor, Cymbalta, buproprion, lamotrigone, Lamictal XR, gabapentin, divalproex, Abilify, Geodon, quetianpine, risperidone, amantadine, pramipexole, methylphenidate, propranolol, atenolol, lorazepam, clonazepam, diazepam, temazepam, Ambien, lithium, Cerefolin, N-acetyl cysteine.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Sunset Soon Forgotten

Sunset Soon Forgotten

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Diagnoses:asperger's, major depression, C-PTSD, panic disorder, fibromyalgia, Long QT Syndrome
  • Current Meds:Remeron (mirtazapine), Lamictal, Xanax, Zanaflex, and a handful of heart meds

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have't been on Abilify specifically, but have had blurred vision and double vision from the combo of amitriptyline and Lamictal. In my case, it's passed, except when I'm very tired. I've been on the combo for almost a month.

Many of my posts are edited or have typos because I often post from my phone. I do my best to edit before any responses have been made.

Current meds, which sort of work: Remeron (mirtazapine) 30mg hs, Lamictal 100mg bid, Xanax 0.5mg qid, Zanaflex (tizanadine) 2mg bid, and heart meds

Crazy Meds that didn't work, or made me worse, or had side effects from hell, or were discontinued because my pdoc was playing med roulette: (definitely incomplete, in alphabetical order, mostly but not exclusively by trade names): Agomelatine, Ambien, Amitriptyline, Ativan, BuSpar, Celexa, Clozapine, Cogentin (for oromandibular dystonia due to APs and AAPs), Depakote, Deseryl, Effexor, Imipramine, Klonopin, Lexapro, Lithium, Mellaril, Paxil, Perphenzine, Prozac, Risperdal, Tegratol, Triavil (at a different time than just amitriptyline or just perphenazine), Valium, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Zopiclone, Zyprexa 

I'm a new day rising

I'm a brand-new sky to hang the stars upon tonight

But I'm a little divided

Should I stay or run away, and leave it all behind?
- foo fighters

#3 Cthebird

Cthebird

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar type I, migraines
  • Current Meds:Lithium ER, Tegretol XR, Lamotrigine, Thiothixene, Ziprazidone, Seroquel XR, Clonazepam

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Tegretol XR has given me blurred vision/double vision (mostly double vision) and it eased depending on the time of day I took it. If my blood level is too high, it happens again. Blood level changes often happen during the day if I take the medication too close to each other.

Current psych meds:  Lithium ER (900 mg), Tegretol XR (1400 mg), Lamictal (100 mg), Geodon (160 mg), Navane (5 mg), Seroquel XR (100 mg), Klonopin (.5 mg).

"As needed meds:  Ativan (1 mgs - up to 3 per day) and Seroquel Ir (25 - 50 mg)

Other meds:  Levothyroxine (150 mcg), Propranolol (40 mg)

Old meds from the past:  Buspar, Prozac (maybe 1 week), Paxil (maybe 3 weeks), Effexor (maybe 3 weeks), Lexapro (2 months), Zyprexa,  Risperdal, Naltrexone, Neurontin, Cymbalta (maybe 2 weeks), Campral, Trileptal, Pristiq (maybe 2 weeks),  Abilify, Vistaril, Cogentin,Seroquel ir, Provigil (total of 4 weeks - Ya hoo!!), Depakote, Invega, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XR, Perphanazine.

Yum yum!

#4 Stargazer

Stargazer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, OCD, ADHD-Inattentive
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Klonopin .5mg prn, Adderall IR 15mg tid

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I have had vision changes as well. I believe for me it is the Lamictal. I can't wear my contacts anymore because anything up close is blurry. I have to wear my glasses so I can remove them to see anything up close. I am blind as a bat and have never had problems reading with my contacts or glasses until now.

I started Lamictal four months ago and have had this problem ever since. I was hoping it would resolve with time but I think it's here to stay as long as I am on Lamictal.

#5 CircaM

CircaM

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Cogentin (Generic: benztropine) destroyed my close vision.

After 1 day off it got better and after 2 days without the med, my vision was back to normal.

Edited by CircaM, 23 January 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#6 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Abilify didn't affect my vision, but the 2mg Cogentin I took with it for akathisia did. I saw an ophthalmologist and then a neuro-ophthalmologist; they were perfectly willing to blame the Cogentin. I cured it by stopping both the Cogentin and the Abilify. (I now take Latuda with propranolol and only 0.25mg of Cogentin for akathisia. No problem.)

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Lamictal 200mg;  Wellbutrin 150 mg;

For sleep (rotating):   trazodone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel,  Abilify,  Ambien, Viibryd, Chantix, Luvox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog