Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Benzo Equivalency Chart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elocinintherain

elocinintherain

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Diagnoses:296.42/300.23/migraines
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

I searched forever for this information for my own needs recently, because I just wasn't satisfied with being told that 1=1. Anyways, for your consumer satisfaction needs, here it is:

http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/bzd.html

From: Clinical Handbook of Psychotropic Drugs, 4th revised edition, Bezchlibnyk-Butler et al. editors (Clarke Insitute of Psychiatry, Toronto), Hogrefe & Huber.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benzodiazepine DOSE Comparative Time to peak plasma level Half-life

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alprazolam .5 1 - 2 9 - 20
Bromazepam 3.0 .5 - 4 8 - 30
Chlordiazepoxide 25 1 - 4 24 - 100
Clonazepam .25 1 - 4 19 - 60
Clorazepate 10 variable 1.3 - 120 * (unreliable absorption)
Diazepam 5 1 - 2 30 - 200 *
Estazolam 1 .5 - .6 8 - 24
Flurazepam 15 .5 - 1 40 - 250 *
Halazepam 40 1 - 3 30 - 96 *
Ketazolam 7.5 3.2 30 - 200
Lorazepam 1 2- 4 8 - 24
Nitrazepam 2.5 .5 - 7 15 - 48
Oxazepam 15 2 - 3 3 - 25
Prazepam 10 2.5 - 6 30 - 100
Quazepam 7.5 1.5 39 - 120 *
Temazepam 10 2.5 3 - 25
Triazolam .25 1 - 2 1.5 - 5

* metabolites

Current Daily Meds: 150mcg Synthroid, 25 mg topamax x 3 daily (introduced 1/10/13, titration dosage), 100mg Wellbutrin x 2 daily, .25 to .5 mg clonazapam prn.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar ?, Asperger syndrome, OCD, ADHD

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

This deserves a pin.
Lamictal 350mg/day, Adderall 15mg/day, spironolactone 25mg/day, loxapine 15mg/day, metformin 500mg bid, Vitamin D 3,000 IU/day, Tri-Sprintec

#3 Silver

Silver

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

This chart (from Arana & Rosenbaum) is another good one. It matches the one I find in Kaplan & Sadock's text.
The oft-cited Ashton chart can be found here. I'll put my money on A&R, though.
Bipolar I

Science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. It is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good. --Terry Pratchett

#4 Suboxer

Suboxer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective - BP Type. PD w/ AG. GAD. PTSD. HPPD. ADD. Epilepsy. Opioid Dependency. Insomnia.
  • Current Meds:See signature.

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

The thread originator's chart is only one of many - it may be the Heather Ashton chart, but I do not precisely recall. If so, it is about the equivalency of benzodiazepines for the purpose of tapering and withdrawal, which she herself acknowledges is not the same as therapeutic equivalency. As we all know, some BZDs are more sedating (think flurazepam, estazolam, or nitrazepam), others more anxiolytic, (think clonazepam or lorazepam), along with different occurences the other three effects: amnesic (think midazolam), anti-epileptic (think clonazepam) and muscle relaxant (think diazepam).

These differing effects are due to a different binding profile of the specific drug at subunits of the GABA-A-BZD receptor. Sedative-hypnotic effects are seen in BZDs that are GABA-A-BZD-α1-selective (as well as Z-drugs which are also α1 selective), etc. Benzodiazepines, unlike barbiturates, are not direct agonists of the GABA-A receptor. They are what is called a "positive allosteric modulator," which essentially means they affect the action of the endogenous neurotransmitter in such a way that it becomes more potent when both the endogenous neurotransmitter and the PAM are bound to the same receptor. BZDs make GABA more potent. A "positive allosteric modulator" of the mu-opioid receptor (none have been developed, and according to current knowledge, it is likely impossible to develop one - although endorphine reuptake inhibitors are in the works) would bind to a tertiary site on the mu-opioid receptor and increase the activity of the endorphines (for analogy).

A more thorough chart, compiling several different authors' list of equivalencies, is much better. Different authors using different methods have come up with vastly differing comparisons of relative potency. Ashton compares clonazepam 500µg of to diazepam 10mg; several other authors put that figure between 1mg and 2mg, and others as high as clonazepam 4mg to diazepam 10mg.

Benzodiazepine Equivalency Chart (bottom of the page).

There is also a PDF that compares indications, interactions, elimination half-lives, and several other parameters available. Caveat: it only covers benzodiazepines available in Canada. Uploaded to RapidShare:

Canadian Benzodiazepine Comparison Chart (PDF Download)

Edited by Suboxer, 27 May 2010 - 03:10 PM.

Dx: (currently under revision) schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, GAD, PD w/o agoraphobia, opioid dependency, PTSD, HPPD, temporal lobe epilepsy, refractory insomnia, paranoid personality disorder.

Medical might cost $600 a month, but pays for $5k in treatment. Try getting "Batshit crazy - with a heroin addiction" covered as a pre-existing condition.

℞:
Anxiolytics: lorazepam 2-4mg PRN; clonazepam 2mg TID; pregabalin 300mg TID
Mood-stabilizers/anti-epileptics: sodium valproate 500mg BID; lamotrigine 150mg BID
Neuroleptic(s): quetiapine 200mg BID
Addiction management: buprenorphine 8mg BID; 60mg baclofen QID; 1 Camel Wide cigarette q30m
Sedative-hypnotics: estazolam 4mg or flurazepam 60mg or lorazepam 2-4mg QHS

I walk The Path of Bullshit Reduction: join me.

#5 DancingQueen1918

DancingQueen1918

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, BPD, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft, Lamictal, Adderall XR, Klonopin, Xanax

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

That's very interesting. When I was in the hospital my (idiot horrible) doctor used 1mg of Xanax, Klonopin and Ativan interchangeably. No wonder.1mg of Ativan did nothing for me when I'm used to 1mg of Klonopin at home. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog