Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Non Controlled Substance/narcotic Anxiety Med

anti anxiety suboxone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fairymonkey

fairymonkey

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Migraines, Severe Memory Loss
  • Current Meds:Adderall 10mg,Valium 10mg, Klonopin .5 mg ,Melatonin 1.5, Rozeram 8,Atarax 50, Maxalt, Celebrex

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Need an option for non narcotic anxiety medication that wont become addictive and does not interfere for suboxone (opiate blocker) medication. Just want some advice- will be asking a doctor but do not have a psychiatrist currently. I heard Burspar could be one (but hardly works), but are there any other options? I know there is B13 vitamin and herbal treatments.

Thank you.
My actual diagnosis: It's still a debate. Psychologists can't seem to diagnose me. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder w/ Depression and anxiety. co-dependency issues.
Past meds: Effexor, Lexapro, Fluoxetine , Bupropion XL ,Klonopin, Ativan, Nortriptyline ,Remeron
Supplements: Melatonin
Diet: Strictly Vegetarian

“Sometimes fate is like a small sand-storm that keeps changing directions. You change direction, but the sand-storm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before death. Why? Because this storm isn't something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you.”
Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Let's see.....one is hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril) which is an antihistamine used frequently for anxiety. Dose would be 50-100 mg four times daily. Another really good one is gabapentin (Neurontin), with a highly variable dose to be taken about three times daily. Both of these are generic and pretty inexpensive.

A cousin to gabapentin is pregabalin (Lyrica), a low-level narcotic (schedule V drug, which means a very low potential for abuse). It is used for anxiety also, but it is not generic and therefore very expensive.

For emergencies when I don't have anything to relieve my anxiety, I have found that taking 50-100 mg of diphenhydramine (Benedryl) will calm me down. However, because it causes marked drowsiness you must make sure that you do not have to drive or do anything dangerous.

The best antidepressant for anxiety (non-MAOI) is IMO mirtazapine (Remeron), which is dirt cheap, quite calming, and taken at bedtime helps with good sleep. Downsides are some weight gain and drowsiness at first.

IMO, Buspar (buspirone) is pretty worthless. People that really, really benefit from it seem to be few and far between. However, it cannot hurt to start taking it with on of these other more immediate-acting drugs, since it can take a month to work.

I hope you find something that works for you. I personally recommend gabapentin at several hundred (300-800 or more) mgs taken three times a day. It seems many people have success with it, and my old primary care doc had no problem prescribing it.. Good luck!

James

Edited by egodystonic_james, 27 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

Diagnoses:

1. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD - atypical type)

2. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

3. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)(in partial remission)

4. Cotard's Delusion (removed prior to DSM IV in 1994(in partial remission)  

Medications:

1  Cymbalta (duloxetine DR) 60 mg QAM

2. BuSpar (buspirone) 15 mg QID

3. Desyrel  (trazodone) 150 mg QHS 

4. Xanax (alprazolam) 2 mg TID

5. Lunesta (eszopiclone) 3 mg QHS

6. Soma (carisoprodol) 350 mg TID

#3 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Need an option for non narcotic anxiety medication that wont become addictive and does not interfere for suboxone (opiate blocker) medication.

Fairymonkey,

Are you taking suboxone now?

#4 fairymonkey

fairymonkey

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Current Meds:Adderall 10mg,Valium 10mg, Klonopin .5 mg ,Melatonin 1.5, Rozeram 8,Atarax 50, Maxalt, Celebrex

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

All the ones you listed I actually own. LOL. No I am not on suboxone. I was simply curious of options.

Edited by Fairymonkey, 27 December 2012 - 07:42 PM.

My actual diagnosis: It's still a debate. Psychologists can't seem to diagnose me. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder w/ Depression and anxiety. co-dependency issues.
Past meds: Effexor, Lexapro, Fluoxetine , Bupropion XL ,Klonopin, Ativan, Nortriptyline ,Remeron

“Sometimes fate is like a small sand-storm that keeps changing directions. You change direction, but the sand-storm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before death. Why? Because this storm isn't something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you.”

#5 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Why mention the suboxone, then? Are you writing on someone else's behalf?

#6 fairymonkey

fairymonkey

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

I was simply asking due to just my own research. I wanted to relate controlled substances anti anxiety meds with people who struggled with addiction and are on suboxone (studying to be a substance abuse counselor). I also don't like the fact that valium is the only thing that works for me (all the things listed didn't work for me).

My psychiatrist told my valium could cause dementia later on, don't know if thats true.

#7 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

When you're asking out of general interest, instead of about your own particular situation, please make that clear in the initial post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog