Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Cogentin Alternative

cogentin tremors risperdal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 colaman

colaman

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

I take risperidone 4mg nightly and also divalproex. I take generic cogentin as well because if I don't my hands shake all day, and my teeth often move back and forth. The shaking has gone away with the cogentin but I feel a little bit like I'm not as oriented as before and my memory isn't as good. I am getting older, yes, but I just feel I am not doing as well now as I did 6 months ago when my hands shook but my mind seemed clearer. I also seem to sleep more than I did before but perhaps I am just bored. I don't know if I can do OK on a reduction of the risperidone so I was wondering if there is something I could take to control the shaking other than cogentin. I'm on a low dose of it so I don't know if I could reduce it any to see if that would help with the mental fog I seem to be in without getting the shakes back big time. (A little bit of shaking would be OK).

I go to a VA doctor and he doesn't seem to have a lot of time to work with me on meds, but if I can get some ideas, and also some help from my sister in talking to the doctor about changes, maybe I can figure something out.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Are the shakes a side effect of one of your drugs? It would be helpful to know what your Cogentin dose is too.

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Lamictal 200mg;  Wellbutrin 150 mg;

For sleep (rotating):   trazodone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel,  Abilify,  Ambien, Viibryd, Chantix, Luvox

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have a tremor due to Abilify and take propranolol.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#4 colaman

colaman

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

I assume the shakes are from the risperidone but I'm not really sure. I have taken the divalproex (Depakote) and risperidone (risperdal) together for some time now. The Cogentin (actually benztropine) is 1 mg every night with the other meds.

#5 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

If it is med induced propranolol is a good option.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal)

#6 colaman

colaman

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Ready for the MCAT: I will look up the med you mentioned. I assume you have no side effects from that? Also, when my hands shake, is that considered "tremor"? I read the info on this site and am a little confused as to what tremor is and TD and all that is, but basically without the cogentin I just have shaky hands (and teeth moving sideways a little) but the hands are moving quite a bit - not just a little bit of shaking, but enough to be a pain.

Also, Mutant, I see benztropine 1/2 mg in your signature. Maybe I could ask if I could cut my meds in half and see if 1/2 mg will make the shaking manageable...

#7 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

My name in notfred, "Ready for the MCAT" is automatically added by the board software when you hit some number of posts.

No, no side effects, it has been around a long time. If the tremor is from TD things like propranolol will not help. A tremor is an involuntary, somewhat rhythmic motion of the hands. It is a general term. there is an extended release formulation of propranolol (ER) that allows for once a day dosing. Propranolol will not have a significant effect on blood pressure at low doses, less than 100 mgs.

#8 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

When I had akathisia from Abilify I took 1mg or more of benztropine, which stopped the akathisia but left me with vision problems. When I started Latuda I ran into the akathisia again. This time I did some more research and ended up on 80mg propranolol and only 0.25mg benztropine. That works for me. But is the tremor problem the same kind of thing as akathisia?

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Lamictal 200mg;  Wellbutrin 150 mg;

For sleep (rotating):   trazodone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel,  Abilify,  Ambien, Viibryd, Chantix, Luvox

#9 colaman

colaman

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think it is considered tremors, not the other things. It is similar to people I've seen who have (I guess) had too much caffeine, but my shaking is much, much more pronounced.

Sorry notfred and baseru - my first time on here and I didn't realize what your names were.

So I'm a little confused: if I have Parkinsonian type tremors, is the propran. likely to work or not work for that? Also, is it the generic drug? VA only dispenses generics and I don't have health insurance or medicare to cover anything else.

#10 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

But is the tremor problem the same kind of thing as akathisia?

Tremor induced by AP's would generally be part of EPS. Akathisia is part of EPS. Propranolol would work well on conditions caused by EPS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog