Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Zoloft/ Yawning & Hypersensitive Gag Reflex?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lizziegoatgirl

lizziegoatgirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Diagnoses:PMDD, MDD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg, Deplin 15, Lo-loestren, Xanax 0.5mg PRN

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Started Zoloft, today was day three. I am actually feeling the depression lifting a little bit. So far I like it. I am having some of the typical side effects: dry mouth, shaky, tired. I am noticing that I am yawning a lot and also having the urge to gag. I am not nauseous in any way. This happened when I tool lexapro years ago, and Paxil years before that.

Is that a side effect that anyone else has experienced? (yawn/gag)
Thanks,
Liz
What my actual diagnosis is: PMDD/MDD/GAD
Past Diagnoses
: Cyclothymia, Dysthymia, Depression, Seasonal Affective disorder, BPII

Other meds that I have tried
: Wellbutrin XL, zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Welbutrin SR, Abilify, Buspar, 5-HTP, Lamictal

Supplements
: Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, B-complex, Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit E, multivitamin,
Possible pertinent info
: eat a gluten free/ dairy restricted diet. exercise regularly, spend a lot of time outside, I have a regular sleep cycle, in a great relationship, have a great life, and have really no reason to be depressed or anxious.
<p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The question you have to ask yourself in these types of situations is: how crazy can you take it? -RLMay all beings shine to the light of their true nature. -Abe Lincoln
Don't look at bipolar as a bad thing; it makes you creative, intelligent, intuitive and gives you the ability to feel a full intense spectrum of emotions then most people ever could understand. -Dr. P
[font=georgia]From what I know so far about you, I see no evidence that you have bipolar disorder in any way. -Dr. B

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 laursmd

laursmd

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Diagnoses:docs cant decide between BP II or Persistent Depression w/MDD, also PTSD, possibly OCD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 50 mg, Remeron 15 mg, Requip 0.5 mg, Klonopin 0.25 mg QAM, 0.5 mg QHS

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yep, happens to me every time I start an SSRI. Sometimes I get bruxism too (teeth grinding)
dx: who the f knows? I've been told BP II or Persistent Depressive D/O with MDD.  Everyone agrees on PTSD and possible OCD, RLS, essential hypertension
ncurrent rx: Lamictal starter pack, Zoloft 50 mg, Remeron 15 mg, Klonopin 0.25 mg QAM, 0.5 mg QHS, Requip 0.5 mg Diovan HCT 160/25 mg, Atenolol 50 mg BID, Amlodipine 5 mg, Vit D 2000 IU, Omega 3,6,9, Calcium, Magnesium, prenatal vitamin, and the oddest of odd 12-24 oz coconut water daily the week of the full moon (something about water-lyte balance in the brain
past meds: Prozac, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, Lexapro, Abilify, Paxil CR, Ambien CR, Trileptal, Cymbalta,Amitriptyline

#3 lizziegoatgirl

lizziegoatgirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for responding! I also get bruxism as well. It used to happen all the time with welbutrin, but was gone or minimal for a long time. when I started Zoloft it came back.

Why does that happen, does anyone know what the mechanism of action is?

Thanks!
LGG

Past Diagnoses

: Wellbutrin XL, zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Welbutrin SR, Abilify, Buspar, 5-HTP, Lamictal

Supplements
: Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, B-complex, Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit E, multivitamin,
Possible pertinent info
: eat a gluten free/ dairy restricted diet. exercise regularly, spend a lot of time outside, I have a regular sleep cycle, in a great relationship, have a great life, and have really no reason to be depressed or anxious.
The question you have to ask yourself in these types of situations is: how crazy can you take it? -RLMay all beings shine to the light of their true nature. -Abe Lincoln
Don't look at bipolar as a bad thing; it makes you creative, intelligent, intuitive and gives you the ability to feel a full intense spectrum of emotions then most people ever could understand. -Dr. P
[font=georgia]From what I know so far about you, I see no evidence that you have bipolar disorder in any way. -Dr. B

#4 talene

talene

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Diagnoses:Dysthymia with recurring Major Depressive Episodes
  • Current Meds:Zoloft

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

From this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10665633
Buspirone as an antidote to SSRI-induced bruxism in 4 cases.

"One hypothesis to explain selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)-induced bruxism states that SSRIs increase extrapyramidal serotonin levels, thereby inhibiting dopaminergic pathways controlling movement.

I think there's more too it than that, but I don't think it's well understood by anyone.

#5 lizziegoatgirl

lizziegoatgirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I'm on buspar too. Weird.

Past Diagnoses

Supplements
Possible pertinent info

#6 dilligaf_sf

dilligaf_sf

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Diagnoses:anxiety, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft & MMJ

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

nothing happened with my gag reflex...but the yawning?!? Oh $hit....the YAWNING! Happened when I first started Zoloft....when I went up from 25mg to 50.....COULD NOT STOP YAWNING FOR ABOUT A WEEK! Was just told to go up this week to 100....and next week to 200..... so I'm really curious/nervous what's gonna happen! The fun never stops!

UPDATE 2/20/13:   No huge problems with yawning when I went up to 100/200 mg -- but the FRIGGING DULL HEADACHE THAT LASTED FOR ALMOST TWO WEEKS..... :(  :mad:  :thumbdown:   pffffffft!

Edited by dilligaf_sf, 20 February 2013 - 03:03 PM.

o_O Stephanie O_o

Copula eame se non posit acceptara jocularem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts