Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Photo

Zoloft/ Yawning & Hypersensitive Gag Reflex?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lizziegoatgirl

lizziegoatgirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Diagnoses:PMDD, MDD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg, Deplin 15, Lo-loestren, Xanax 0.5mg PRN

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Started Zoloft, today was day three. I am actually feeling the depression lifting a little bit. So far I like it. I am having some of the typical side effects: dry mouth, shaky, tired. I am noticing that I am yawning a lot and also having the urge to gag. I am not nauseous in any way. This happened when I tool lexapro years ago, and Paxil years before that.

Is that a side effect that anyone else has experienced? (yawn/gag)
Thanks,
Liz
What my actual diagnosis is: PMDD/MDD/GAD
Past Diagnoses
: Cyclothymia, Dysthymia, Depression, Seasonal Affective disorder, BPII

Other meds that I have tried
: Wellbutrin XL, zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Welbutrin SR, Abilify, Buspar, 5-HTP, Lamictal

Supplements
: Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, B-complex, Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit E, multivitamin,
Possible pertinent info
: eat a gluten free/ dairy restricted diet. exercise regularly, spend a lot of time outside, I have a regular sleep cycle, in a great relationship, have a great life, and have really no reason to be depressed or anxious.
<p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The question you have to ask yourself in these types of situations is: how crazy can you take it? -RLMay all beings shine to the light of their true nature. -Abe Lincoln
Don't look at bipolar as a bad thing; it makes you creative, intelligent, intuitive and gives you the ability to feel a full intense spectrum of emotions then most people ever could understand. -Dr. P
[font=georgia]From what I know so far about you, I see no evidence that you have bipolar disorder in any way. -Dr. B

#2 laursmd

laursmd

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Diagnoses:docs cant decide between BP II or Persistent Depression w/MDD, also PTSD, possibly OCD
  • Current Meds:LTG 200 mg, Lithium Carb ER 1200 mg, Prazosin 1 mg QHS, Vistaril 50 mg QHS, Requip 0.5 mg QHS

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Yep, happens to me every time I start an SSRI. Sometimes I get bruxism too (teeth grinding)
dx: who the f knows? I've been told BP II or Persistent Depressive D/O with MDD.  Everyone agrees on PTSD and possible OCD, RLS, essential hypertension, severe seasonal allergies, asthma
ncurrent rx: Lamictal 100 mg BID, Lithium Carbonate ER 600 mg BID, Prazosin 1 mg QHS, Requip 0.5 mg,Vistaril 50 mg QHS,Losartan 50 mg q day, Flonase 1 squirt each mare BID, Zyrtec 10 mg
past meds: Prozac, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, Lexapro, Abilify, Paxil CR, Ambien CR, Trileptal, Cymbalta,Amitriptyline, Zoloft, Brintellix, Remeron, Klonopin

#3 lizziegoatgirl

lizziegoatgirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for responding! I also get bruxism as well. It used to happen all the time with welbutrin, but was gone or minimal for a long time. when I started Zoloft it came back.

Why does that happen, does anyone know what the mechanism of action is?

Thanks!
LGG

Past Diagnoses

: Wellbutrin XL, zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Welbutrin SR, Abilify, Buspar, 5-HTP, Lamictal

Supplements
: Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, B-complex, Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit E, multivitamin,
Possible pertinent info
: eat a gluten free/ dairy restricted diet. exercise regularly, spend a lot of time outside, I have a regular sleep cycle, in a great relationship, have a great life, and have really no reason to be depressed or anxious.
The question you have to ask yourself in these types of situations is: how crazy can you take it? -RLMay all beings shine to the light of their true nature. -Abe Lincoln
Don't look at bipolar as a bad thing; it makes you creative, intelligent, intuitive and gives you the ability to feel a full intense spectrum of emotions then most people ever could understand. -Dr. P
[font=georgia]From what I know so far about you, I see no evidence that you have bipolar disorder in any way. -Dr. B

#4 talene

talene

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Diagnoses:Dysthymia with recurring Major Depressive Episodes
  • Current Meds:Zoloft

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

From this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10665633
Buspirone as an antidote to SSRI-induced bruxism in 4 cases.

"One hypothesis to explain selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)-induced bruxism states that SSRIs increase extrapyramidal serotonin levels, thereby inhibiting dopaminergic pathways controlling movement.

I think there's more too it than that, but I don't think it's well understood by anyone.

#5 lizziegoatgirl

lizziegoatgirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I'm on buspar too. Weird.

Past Diagnoses

Supplements
Possible pertinent info

#6 dilligaf_sf

dilligaf_sf

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Diagnoses:anxiety, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft & MMJ

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

nothing happened with my gag reflex...but the yawning?!? Oh $hit....the YAWNING! Happened when I first started Zoloft....when I went up from 25mg to 50.....COULD NOT STOP YAWNING FOR ABOUT A WEEK! Was just told to go up this week to 100....and next week to 200..... so I'm really curious/nervous what's gonna happen! The fun never stops!

UPDATE 2/20/13:   No huge problems with yawning when I went up to 100/200 mg -- but the FRIGGING DULL HEADACHE THAT LASTED FOR ALMOST TWO WEEKS..... :(  :mad:  :thumbdown:   pffffffft!

Edited by dilligaf_sf, 20 February 2013 - 03:03 PM.

o_O Stephanie O_o

Copula eame se non posit acceptara jocularem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud