Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Love And Serotonin

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Social Anxiety, General Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Prozac 40mg, Wellbutrin XR 150mg

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

Hi.

I'm new here and i'm not absolutely sure i'm posting my question in the right section, so i beg pardon if i'm mistaken.
I noticed that there are some well informed people here that have some knowledge beyond what you can find on google so i figured i'd ask about this.

I read a few articles that claim that when in love, Serotonin levels drop to the levels found in people who suffer from OCD. The articles claim that SSRI's for that reason, prevent or hinder your ability to fall in love.
I'm treated with Prozac, which is working more or less, but i don't want to lose my ability to fall in love.
I was wondering, do love and SSRI's really work the same way? As i understand, SSRI's inhibit the ability of the brain to produce enzymes that reduce serotonin levels and in that way, more serotonin is left around. Does love work the same, wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume the brain just produces less serotonin to begin with? Anyone has a clue?

Should i really be worried about this? How many people really noticed an inability to fall in love while on SSRI, beyond the people who get the side effect of generalized numb emotions? (I don't have that).

I understand that Dopamine is involved too, maybe just adding Wellbutrin and raising your dopamine levels would cover for that and enable one to fall in love?
Any other information about the subject would be happily accepted as well.

Thanks.
Meds tried: Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor, Celexa.
Supplaments tried: Magnesium, Rhodiola Rosea.
Treatments tried: Psychotherapy, CBT, Biofeedback.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 gspotfox

gspotfox

DIY Trepanist

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:chronic depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:20mg Lexapro, 4mg a day lorazepam

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

i dont no about stopping you falling in love, but it sure stop,s you makeing love ,which dont go down well to a new partner. Then again if its just delayed orgasm in a male that could be a bonus to a partner ;)

#3 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Antacid, love is more than just a feeling. It's also a choice you make every day you stay with someone. If you're able to get your anxiety and depression under control, that could actually make it easier for you to find someone to fall in love with, who'll love you in return. I can understand your concern, but I hope you won't let it prevent you from doing what you need to do to take good care of yourself.

The cocktail of hormones that people get when they're first in a relationship wears off after a couple of years, anyway. The butterflies don't last, and relationships that aren't built on a foundation of respect, shared interests, and "getting" each other, as well as mutual attraction, tend to start fading at that point, if they haven't already.

And if sexual performance is a concern, keep in mind that the person who's a good match for you will be someone with whom you can talk about it, and who will be understanding.

Are you in counseling? That's usually the best place to address any interpersonal concerns you may have.

#4 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hi Blue Heron.

I'm aware that that particular hormones' effects don't last beyond two years. I'm not worried about two years into a relationship. I'm worried about the first period, the first month, i don't think you'll reach the period of stability that comes later in a relationship without the initial falling in love, because there will be no relationship. Unless you start a relationship for other reasons than love.

As for sexual performance, it is a concern, but not as important.

I'm not in counseling right now, been there, done that, many times, many years.

#5 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

I believe you're overthinking and oversimplifying this. The serotonin effect isn't as cut-and-dried as you're making it out to be. And if you're not feeling incredibly numbed, chances are, you'd feel the stirrings of loving feelings if you were to meet someone you found attractive. Are you feeling other emotions, like enjoyment when you do something appealing? If so, you'll probably be fine.

It'd be helpful if you could give us links to the articles that have you concerned, so we could see the data in question.

#6 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Well, i'm asking this because i had a few dates with nice girls and i felt nothing. Of course, the actual date involved a lot of anxiety so that might have blocked any sort of positive feeling. I don't know.
I do have periods of numbed emotions as a result of depression or anxiety. Those periods are less frequent when i'm on Prozac, for what it's worth. I know i need treatment. But if Prozac disables you from being obsessive about a person and you can't fall in love it's catch 22.

As for links:
http://www.biopsychi...om/lovesero.htm

http://www.mcmanweb.com/love_lust.html -- Scroll down to Love at Risk for the part about Serotonin.

Btw, another theory i have is that the first stage of falling in love is the lust stage, and because prozac reduces your libido, that stage doesn't happen. In that case, the solution would be adding Wellbutrin to the Prozac to restore the libido, am i right?

#7 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Well, i'm asking this because i had a few dates with nice girls and i felt nothing. Of course, the actual date involved a lot of anxiety so that might have blocked any sort of positive feeling. I don't know.
I do have periods of numbed emotions as a result of depression or anxiety. Those periods are less frequent when i'm on Prozac, for what it's worth. I know i need treatment. But if Prozac disables you from being obsessive about a person and you can't fall in love it's catch 22.

As for links:
http://www.biopsychi...om/lovesero.htm

http://www.mcmanweb....e_lust.html -- Scroll down to Love at Risk for the part about Serotonin.

Btw, another theory i have is that the first stage of falling in love is the lust stage, and because prozac reduces your libido, that stage doesn't happen. In that case, the solution would be adding Wellbutrin to the Prozac to restore the libido, am i right?

Yes, when you're focused on anxious thoughts, it can make it difficult to relax and enjoy someone else's company. Romantic chemistry between two people can be elusive in the best of circumstances, too.

As for "Alteration of the platelet serotonin transporter in romantic love," the main point is that people in love have a similar level of serotonin in their systems as those who have OCD. (I'm summarizing for the benefit of other people who may read this, but don't have the time to look at the links. It'll also help me think this through for you.)

Your second link didn't work for me, for whatever reason, but I found the page in question: "The Brain in Love and Lust." It's a personal page, not an article from a scientific journal, but it appears to be well-constructed. Here's the passage you referenced:

At a different APA forum, "Sex, Sexuality, and Serotonin," Dr Fisher warned that antidepressants may jeopardize romantic love. As well as high dopamine and norepinephrine, she said, romantic love is characterized by low serotonin. Low serotonin would explain the obsessive thinking attached to romantic love. In her MRI study, her subjects reported that they thought about their loved one 95 percent of the day and couldn’t stop thinking about them. This kind of obsessive thinking is comparable to OCD, she said, also characterized by low serotonin.

Serotonin-enhancing antidepressants, she said, blunt the emotions, including the elation of romance, and suppress obsessive thinking, a critical component of romance. "When you inhibit this brain system," she warned, "you can inhibit your patient’s well-being and possibly their genetic future."

This sounds overdramatic to me, and perhaps not applicable to your situation. You're actually seeking out dating partners, right? It sounds like you're interested in meeting new people. It looks to me like this is your anxiety talking. If you meet someone you're interested in, and who likes you in return, but you don't feel like you can muster up the enthusiasm to take part in activities that will deepen your relationship, then that's something to bring up with your pdoc. If you believe you're already there, do it now.

Otherwise, it's probably time to spend more of your energy looking for someone you could hit it off with, and less time looking at articles on the Internet about the possible side effects of Prozac. Deal with them as they come up, rather than giving yourself more to worry about that may not actually happen.

Wellbutrin can be helpful in minimizing or countering sexual dysfunction, but it has its own set of possible side effects, as outlined in the Crazy Meds Wiki. Think carefully about adding another med to your regimen; it might be better to replace the Prozac with another AD instead.

You'll also want to consider the circumstances that led you to go on an AD in the first place. Long-term anxiety and/or depression is unhealthy for your brain, and a little dulling of your feelings may be a price worth paying in order to be more stable.This is all a cost-benefit analysis that is unique to each person.

Potential romantic partners may also be unwilling to commit to someone who is anxious and/or depressed, too. Factor that into the equation.

Have you been in CBT counseling (cognitive behavioral therapy)? It can be quite helpful in tackling the habit of worrying about the unknown.

Best wishes to you.

#8 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

This sounds overdramatic to me, and perhaps not applicable to your situation. You're actually seeking out dating partners, right? It sounds like you're interested in meeting new people. It looks to me like this is your anxiety talking. If you meet someone you're interested in, and who likes you in return, but you don't feel like you can muster up the enthusiasm to take part in activities that will deepen your relationship, then that's something to bring up with your pdoc. If you believe you're already there, do it now.

Otherwise, it's probably time to spend more of your energy looking for someone you could hit it off with, and less time looking at articles on the Internet about the possible side effects of Prozac. Deal with them as they come up, rather than giving yourself more to worry about that may not actually happen.

The girls i met, i wasn't interested in. Eventhough, they were cute, nice etc. and i was supposed to feel something. That's why i suspected the prozac, it could be just my anxiety or low libido. Or just the fact that i never had a relationship and i can't really picture myself in one. I don't know the reason. But i figured it's worth the time to try and understand the relation between Serotonin, SSRI and love.

Wellbutrin can be helpful in minimizing or countering sexual dysfunction, but it has its own set of possible side effects, as outlined in the Crazy Meds Wiki. Think carefully about adding another med to your regimen; it might be better to replace the Prozac with another AD instead.

I tried many types of SSRIs, as well as Effexor (withdrawal from hell) , none helped like Prozac, well Paxil maybe, but that was a long time ago and i can barely remember. I never tried a med that raises dopamine levels, it might be worth a try, especially if the reason i don't feel anything towards the girls i date is low libido.
Another reason is that i find that at least for me, the effect of prozac is on obsessive thoughts and through that on the anxiety and depression those thoughts create. But at times i had a type of depression that came from other sources, just a deep feeling of despair that takes over and doesn't let you feel anything else, not related to obsessive thoughts. with that sort of depression, Prozac didn't help.

Yep, tried CBT. Didn't help.

#9 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

"I was supposed to feel something." According to whom? The only first date during which I fell head over heels for someone, was with my husband. If you don't have much dating experience, it's possible you've bought into Hollywood's version of how it's supposed to work.

Could you please list (as many as you can remember of) the drugs you've already tried, but didn't work for you, in the signature part of your profile? It'd help us make constructive suggestions about what else might work better for you, if there's something you and your pdoc(s) haven't considered.

#10 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

I added some info to my signature.

I agree, I don't know if i should have felt something... i only dated 5 girls, none of them more than 3 dates, most less. But on paper, they were my type... so i got confused. the last time i dated was 2 years ago, since then i'm obsessed with thoughts about feelings. Do i feel enough? do i feel like other people? do i have what it takes to fall in love? etc. I stopped Prozac and started it again several times during that period for that reason. But i haven't been able to make myself date anyone anyway.
Not sure if my story is really relevant to this forum though.

#11 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Well, your original question was appropriate, but venturing into the relationship side of things is getting a little outside the parameters of the forums. I've some more feedback for you about that, so I'll PM you.

Maybe some other members will have feedback for you about serotonin, and/or other med possibilities. Thanks for adding some more information to your profile.

#12 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hi. I already posted my question in the depression forum, but i figure this forum is more about the chemistry of the brain.
If it's not allowed to post a question twice in two different forums let me know.

You're not supposed to post a question twice in two different forums, Antacid. I merged the two topics together here, so you'll be able to see replies to your query in one place. For more tips, please look at the FAQ.

Thanks,
BH

Edited by Blue Heron, 10 September 2012 - 07:14 PM.
see above

#13 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,319 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Do you think you can fall in love while depressed ?

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#14 ChockFullO'Nuts

ChockFullO'Nuts

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, GAD, Agoraphobia
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Trazodone, Hydroxyzine Pamoate, Xanax, Deplin

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

Are you speaking of actually "falling in love" or a general disinterest in women and dating? Any or all of the above can be affected by depression. Hell, half the time I could stay in bed without showering or eating. But during times of hypomania, I can be in love at the drop of a hat. During those times and when I'm at "in between" stages I am attracted to others and could fall in love. That's just me though. And I am on an SSRI on top of a mood stabilizer.

However, when depressed, stay the fuck away. I think it has more to do with mental and emotional moods than medications, personally. Are you feeling "obligated" to date? Do you WANT to date? Do you WANT to fall in love? If so, you will.

But if you feel like its something that's expected of you and you're going through the motions, why do it? It's unfair to you and to the women you date. Date when you have the desire and are able to handle a relationship on top of the other issues going on in your life.

There is no "deadline" for love. It happens when we are open and ready for it, not because we try to make it happen.

In other words, CHILL.

:-)
Who am I, you may wonder? I am someone you know very well.For I am every man you meet and I am every woman you meet.

#15 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

No, i wasn't talking about the effects of depression. I'm talking about the effects of SSRI, which means, when the SSRI is effective and you feel ok, more or less. And i'm only talking about the element of obsessive thinking about the other person which makes you fall in love. That according to the links i posted would be missing when Serotonin levels are high. It's kind of a catch 22, not on the med means you are depressed and aren't interested anyway. If you are on the med and feel alright, you can't fall in love with the people you date, eventhough you are interested.

But the input that you are able to fall in love and you are on SSRI is valuable.
Oh wait, i read another article where it says the effect is not the same for women and men...

As for falling in love while depressed, it's been known to happen to people. Sometimes it was the cure.

Edited by Antacid, 08 September 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#16 Jmirov

Jmirov

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Diagnoses:Dysthymia
  • Current Meds:Effexor (225mg/day)

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Antacid,

I think there might be something to the apparent correlation between obsession/serotonin/sex...Before I was ever on medication, I was prone to fixated/obsessive/impulsive thinking which could center on all types of thoughts:pleasurable, painful, risky, safe etc....When I'm on Effexor, I feel less impulsive and prone to obsessive thinking (which is good) but also less ability to experience raw pleasure (particularly sexual). I basically feel inert - less anxiety but also less good stuff too. I have this theory that because my plumbing (naughty parts) is sealed off, my aura stops emitting a sexual vibe, effectively rendering me asexual. A woman can usually tell upon talking to me that there's something there preventing me from wanting to flirt and/or seduce them (which would be my normal course) and I end up just making boring small talk without emitting subtle sexual cues (which would normally naturally happen) because its like what's the point if I can't physically do anything......I understand your problem because you're thinking that you can't facilitate the necessary early phases of the relationship (like sex and mild infatuation) to get to the point where you could openly discuss mental health issues and medication and such. You can't just start out saying hey yeah uh I have this problem and I take medication for it which causes me to blah blah etc....When i'm on meds women don't sense that I'm into them because that subtle sexual infatuation (the obsessiveness) isn't there.....A woman wants to feel as if she has some kind of affect on you which is usually communicated to her by your drive to persue her sexually and otherwise but primarily sexually. This gives her confidence that you'll be likely to be faithful to her. But if you're simply not giving her that impression because the meds make you basically incapable of transmitting that vibe - you will literally fail to keep her interest and stoke the flames of an early spark necessary for the fire to come.........

#17 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Jmirov,

I agree with most you said, although i'd seperate the obsessive thinking factor from the sexual attraction factor. I think those are two different processes, both can be damaged when on SSRI/SNRI. But you might suffer from only one of them.
Why don't you try something like Wellbutrin that is supposed to help with your libido?

#18 ChockFullO'Nuts

ChockFullO'Nuts

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, GAD, Agoraphobia
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Trazodone, Hydroxyzine Pamoate, Xanax, Deplin

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

It can happen, but I personally don't believe love can "cure" MI. Just my opinion :-)
Who am I, you may wonder? I am someone you know very well.For I am every man you meet and I am every woman you meet.

#19 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

It can happen, but I personally don't believe love can "cure" MI. Just my opinion :-)

I agree. Being in love with a person who loves you can provide you with a mood boost, but it's not permanent. And you'll stil have your own difficult thoughts, emotions and problems to deal with, plus you'll be taking on some of the other person's problems. It can be comforting to be with someone who understands what you're going through, but you've got to watch that you don't depend on him or her too much, too.

Love is wonderful, but it doesn't solve all of a person's problems. It's not like a pill you can pop. And popping a pill (or stopping taking a pill, for that matter) to try to fix interpersonal problems is akin to putting a small bandage on a large gaping wound. It may make you feel like you're doing something useful, but it's not going to heal the hurt. Counseling is the best treatment for relationship troubles, including feeling lonely. And, just like how it can take a lot of time and effort to find the right med/med cocktail to treat a mood disorder, it can also take a while to find a therapist you click with, but when you do, it's amazing how much progress you can make in a short period of time.

#20 Jmirov

Jmirov

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

I plan to add Mirtazipine, Trazodone and then Wellbutrin - one by one and in that order...If none of those work then I'll look into alternative SSRI/SNRI meds to replace the Effexor.......

#21 Ferdy

Ferdy

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, PD w/severe agoraphobia, PTSD, OCD
  • Current Meds:For brain cooties: 15mg Remeron, 3mg Klonopin, 20mg Prozac, 25mg Atarax

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Be sure to take the mirtazapine and trazodone at night...and be ready for bed when you do...when you first start out on those, they will almost surely knock you out....and be prepared for a few groggy mornings where you will find it hard to get up too...:-)

BRAIN DX: Treatment resistant unipolar MDD (major depressive disorder), GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), PD (panic disorder) w/severe agoraphobia, PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), OCD (obsessive/compulsive disorder)

PHYSICAL DX:  hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia (this all adds up to metabolic syndrome X---yeah, I'm a walking heart attack)

CURRENT BRAIN MEDS: 15mg/night Remeron (mirtazapine), 3mg/day Klonopin (clonazepam), 20mg/day Prozac (fluoxetine), 25mg/night Atarax (hydroxyzine)

CURRENT PHYSICAL MEDS: 25mg/night  Tenormin (atenolol), 100/25/day Hyzaar (losartan/hctz), 1250mg/day Glucophage (metformin), 20mg/day //@lipitor// (atorvastatin), 1000mg/day Niacin (nicotinic acid)

PRIOR UNCONVENTIONAL BRAIN TREATMENT MEDS:  Seroquel (quetiapine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Namenda (memantine HCl---yes, I've even tried an Alzhiemer's med---for it's action on the glutamatergic system as a glutamate antagonist)

PRIOR CONVENTIONAL BRAIN MEDS: YES, MY MEDICINE CABINET LOOKS LIKE A PHARMACY!  All the SSRI's (completely intolerable) except Lexapro (escitalopram---barely tolerable) and Prozac (fluoextine---best of the bunch, far from great, but it's the one I've gone back to), all the SNRI's (intolerable)---and now add Viibryd (vilazodone) to the list, Desyrel (trazodone) (caused severe hypotension and palpitations, PVCs, PACs), Neurontin (gabapentin---ineffective), Atarax  (hydroxyzine----ineffective but good as a sleep agent), BuSpar (buspirone---probably the nastiest poison I've ever taken), and the med shown in my avatar...OMG WATTA DRUG---lucky for me they outlawed that one...it's now classified Schedule I in the USA...it is sorely missed cause I know for damned sure IT would work...it's hard to be anxious and depressed when you're taking what is essentially heroin in pill form...and if you don't know what it is, you're showing your youth, lol!  And before you comment or ask why, the TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants) and the MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) are OUT of the question for me, due to the high risk of potential cardiac side effects...

#22 Blah

Blah

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, severe depression
  • Current Meds:Venlafaxine

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

Just think of it as having one less thing cluttering your thoughts I guess. Most guys think about sex too much anyways. I was eight years into a relationship when I started medications and now we're pretty much just friends because the intimacy is gone. I'm completely unplugged from those emotions.

#23 Antacid

Antacid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

I read about Trazodone, it says it's an SARI, what would be the benefits of adding it if you are already on a med that works on Serotonin? Sounds like overkill.

#24 Velthir

Velthir

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

If an SSRI is helping but not effective enough, a SARI may potentially help by stimulating the release of even more serotonin. Additionally, trazodone antagonises a few serotonin receptors that may actually be more responsible for its antidepressant effects.

Dx: Dysthymia, recurrent treatment resistant depression, Bipolar  II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Daily Rx: 400 mg lamotrigine, 800 mg carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), selegiline 5mg
Failed meds: Citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: bupropion (Wellbutrin),nortriptyline, moclobemide, aripiprazole (Abilify), reboxetine

#25 Jmirov

Jmirov

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Adding the Traz is not for the depression/serotonin, but for libido...It apparently can have a similar libido-enhancing effect like the Mirtaz & Wellbutrin....Check it out on the web...

#26 Lycopene

Lycopene

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Diagnoses:Paranoid Schizophrenia, Anxiety disorder, Asperger's, IBS, Tardive Dystonia, Tardive Myoclonus
  • Current Meds:Amitriptyline 50mg, Citalopram 40mg, Temazepam 30mg, Diazepam 15mg b.i.d., Benztropine 2mg b.i.d.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Jmirov, I can testify that to you firsthand. My libido was COMPLETELY shot whilst on Zoloft, and just adding 200mg to help with sleep, it completely reversed the problem and it was as if the Zoloft wasn't even there.
Current meds: Amitriptyline 50mg, Citalopram 40mg, Temazepam 30mg, Diazepam 15mg b.i.d.

Previous meds: Sertraline, Lorazepam, Quetiapine, Olanzapine, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Trazodone, Mirtazapine, Propranolol, Hydroxyzine, Zolpidem, Risperidone, Clozapine, Paroxetine, Haloperidol, Latuda, Amantadine, Abilify, Benztropine

#27 Jmirov

Jmirov

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Lycopene,

Wow that's awesome (the Trazodone?). Did the reversal last a while? I read someone reported having an emergency-room warranting erection upon starting the Traz and then the effect seemed to dissipate with time (the SE reversal effect that is). Also, with the combo did you feel more or less the same as with just the Zoloft (minus the SEs)?

#28 lisablair

lisablair

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety, PMDD, Depression
  • Current Meds:Zolfoft, Clozapan, Effexor, Topimax, Trazone

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

I completely agree I can not fall in love...think i may feel it for a minute, but nope...definitely the meds. However, my sex drive has not been effected what so ever. May take me a little longer to orgasam but I want it more and more. I do truly want that ONE to settle with and to truly get off these meds. Anyone have any suggestions?

#29 kennedyhancock

kennedyhancock

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, Panic Attacks, GAD, ADD, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Migraines,
  • Current Meds:Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Topamax, Clonazepam, Inderal

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Oh...... no....no....

I just don't buy that meds stop people from feeling love. Love comes in many flavors, but it is basically the same. A mother doesn't stop loving her children when she starts on SSRI's or they would not be used for postpartum depression. A wife or husband doesn't stop loving their significant other because they suddenly have to take an SSRI. A father doesn't stop loving his kids when he goes on an SSRI. I love many people in my life and I love my dog this all before and after the SSRI's and all the other meds I have been on. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me, unless we are only speaking of sex, then, yes there are some issues with that and SSRI's but sex and love are not the same thing. Granted some forms of love lead to a couple having sex but sex is not a necessary requirement in true love.

Who doesn't get it?

Lust is not Love!

I think you are confusing things here....who in the heck falls in love on a first date? Or just meeting someone in the hallway for the first time? Nope....really??? there are some lines crossed over some where in this conversation and SSRI's et al are being made the scapegoats.

Sorry guys I think you are sorely off track in blaming the meds.
Current RX: AdderallXR 30mgx1 A.M. Adderall  30x1 P.M.  Clonazepam 1mgx2  PRN, Propranolol 10mgx3 PRN  Butalbutal-APAP-CAF 50-325-40mg Topiramate 100 mg.
Other: Simvastatin 40mg, Benazapril HTCZ,12.5 mg low dose aspirin.Omega 3s: EPA 300mg,DHA 200mg, Fish Oil 1060mg. Multi Vitamin w/ Vitamin K, Metafolin.

Past Rx: Dilantin(Steven Johnson's Syndrome -the rash?= almost fatal), Mysoline, Tegretol, Paxil(10 years and pooped), Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa, Symbrax, Seroquel, Xanax. Pristiq( hated it,worst withdrawal syndrome ever) Prozac don't think it was doing much anymore.

Some of my panic attacks are symptomatic of having Mitral Valve Prolapse, take propranolol and prophylaxis antibiotics when I have dental work for the MVP. Fear of having a seizure, especially in public, GAD and social phobias respond well to clonazepam. Still have lots of bad depressive days but manage them enough now that my ADD is being treated as well. My current meds seem to be just what I need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog