Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Advice On Going Off Lamictal And What To Expect

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Brooke

Brooke

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression and took Lamictal and Lunesta for years, but now am off all meds.
  • Current Meds:5 HTP (supplement)

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hello,
I've always gotten good advice on CrazyMeds and thought I would ask for some in regard to this. I am currently tapering off Lamictal. I was taking 125 mg and have now been on 100 mg for 8 days. I have felt no effects.

What is your advice on a taper schedule to keep from having withdrawl symptoms? I have read the worst horror stories online. Is it possible to stop taking Lamictal without it being a traumatic experience? I am in no hurry, so I can do this as slowly as possible.

The plan was to lower to 75 mg in a week and see how I am. If good, go to 50 in two weeks, etc... Is that advisable? Does the titrating need to be really slow when getting to low doses? Like going to 12.5, then 6, etc?

Thanks for your advice.

Brooke

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Rane

Rane

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1
  • Current Meds:Lithium, Lamotrigine, Levoxyl, Lorazapam

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

i'd do 12.5 increments.
Lithium (0.9 @ 750mg/day), Lamotrigine (400mg/day), Levoxyl (88 mcg), Lorazapam (prn).

Fails: amitriptyline, zoloft, prozac, wellbutrin, depakote

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

You taper off the same way you did going on it, but in reverse.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#4 Brooke

Brooke

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression and took Lamictal and Lunesta for years, but now am off all meds.

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Yeah, cannot remember the titration schedule. Been way too long.

Thanks guys.

#5 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

If you can't remember, go by 12.5. 25 at the very most. I had to stop all at once because of "bad" rash and it was quite miserable. Tapering slowly should help you avoid all of that. Good luck!

Current Meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#6 Brooke

Brooke

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

thank you!

#7 PatientZero

PatientZero

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

I've slopped it from 200mg over 1-2 weeks several times without problems. YMMV
I have permanent sleep and cognition issues with lamotrigine, that's why i lost patience with it several times. Turned out though that nothing else helps my depression without making my hypomanic. That's why i am back on it now after 3 years of trying other meds.
So far only Ambien helps my sleep, but that's something thats not supposed to be taken long-term, so i am fucked i guess.

Past meds:
Lithium, Lamotrigine, Carbamazepine (Tegretol), Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal), Quetiapin (Seroquel XR), Valproic acid (Depakote) Pregabalin (Lyrica), Venlafaxin (Effexor), Citalopram, Zuclopenthixol, Chlorprothixene, Bupropion (Wellbutrin), Doxepin, Agomelatine (Valdoxan), Moclobemide (Aurorix), Flupentixol, Mirtazapine (Remeron), Geodon, Abilify, Tianeptine, Fluoxetine, Escitalopram, Sertraline, Duloxetine,

#8 Brooke

Brooke

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

Thanks. I'm glad you were able to stop taking it with no problem. The horror stories I read are scary. Hoping I don't experience any of that.

I'm sorry lamotrigine causes such problems for you. Have you tried the brand instead of generic? I was unable to take the generic. It messed me up.

Right now, for sleep I am taking 5 HTP (Pure Encapsulations) + Magnesium Glycinate + B6, as prescribed by not my pdoc, but another doctor of mine. Pdoc has approved. It is very helpful to give me good deep sleep. I notice a huge difference without it. You have to be careful with 5 HTP b/c it increases Serotonin, so if you have any med that does the same, it could be a problem.

I take Lunesta too. Have you tried up to 6 mg? I once had to take that much. Now I take 3 and am hoping to stop taking it with a few other natural sleep aids I am going to try per my doctor. I liked Lunesta better than any sleep med I tried. I only tried Seroquel (I do not recommend) and Ambien though. Anyway, Lunesta can be taken long-term.

#9 PatientZero

PatientZero

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

My pdoc says i can't take Ambien long-term, same goes for the other Z meds (Zopiclone and Zaleplon) which have a similar way of working.
I only had different generics so far, and it was the same with each one of them. Therefore i doubt it would change much. Good thing about several generics is, that they are free.

Past meds:
Lithium, Lamotrigine, Carbamazepine (Tegretol), Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal), Quetiapin (Seroquel XR), Valproic acid (Depakote) Pregabalin (Lyrica), Venlafaxin (Effexor), Citalopram, Zuclopenthixol, Chlorprothixene, Bupropion (Wellbutrin), Doxepin, Agomelatine (Valdoxan), Moclobemide (Aurorix), Flupentixol, Mirtazapine (Remeron), Geodon, Abilify, Tianeptine, Fluoxetine, Escitalopram, Sertraline, Duloxetine,

#10 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Just want to point out that 5 HTP could be BAD for people with bipolar. Sorry. Just a warning. :)

Current Meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#11 Brooke

Brooke

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

i wondered about that with bipolar. Glad you posted.

#12 in_media_res

in_media_res

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Diagnoses:Atyptical Depression, Features of Borderline Personality Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Just want to point out that 5 HTP could be BAD for people with bipolar. Sorry. Just a warning. :)

How so?

dx: Atypical depression with some features of borderline personality; Obsessive-compulsive disorders
rx: Ziprasidone 60 mg, Zolpidem ER 12.5 mg, Lorazepam .5 mg. Synthroid 112 mcg

hx: Stuff that didn't work: Lamotrigine, Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Straterra (for attention), 5-HTP, supplements. Some sort of a TCA early on -- don't remember which one.

May you be held in compassion.
May you be free from pain and sorrow.

May you find rest in a peaceful heart.

#13 Rane

Rane

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1
  • Current Meds:Lithium, Lamotrigine, Levoxyl, Lorazapam

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Here is some completely unverified opinion from Squidoo, BUT I've heard here and elsewhere that 5-HTP can work like a SSRI, which can cause mania in some bipolar people.

Just to say, I heard voices when I tried St. John's Wort. My pdoc was angry that I tried it without telling her. She said that it acts like an SSRI and just because it's herbal, doesn't mean it's safe.

link to squidoo about 5-htp
Lithium (0.9 @ 750mg/day), Lamotrigine (400mg/day), Levoxyl (88 mcg), Lorazapam (prn).

Fails: amitriptyline, zoloft, prozac, wellbutrin, depakote

#14 jackeeanne

jackeeanne

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar anxiety
  • Current Meds:lactimal

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

I am going of lamictal because the side effects actually became unbearable around the 75 mark. I was not sleeping, every muscle in my body ached so much it was hard to walk even with tylenol, i couldn't look at anything bright without having to lay down and close my eyes, my mental confusion was actually scary, and i was naseuous pretty much all the time.I could go on but really , but really the point is  I was beyond miserable and unable to function. I tried to hang in there and only stopped cause I had to miss so much work. My PA told me to go off it over the phone by titrating off at 25 mgs for a week. Well I've been done with that for almost a week and while I still feel MUCH better I am still achy,my sleeping is ridiculously disrupted, and I continue to have weird mental confusions breaks.I never had those problems before I went on this drug. I'm really scared that by taking this drug (for over a month which isn't really that long?) that these things are permenant. Am I being paranoid? or is this possible? Does it just take this long for it to get out of you system?I feel like I've poisoned myself in some way with how badly my body reacted to this drug and I've been on lots of different medication none of which has really worked but I didn't have these scary things happening.

If anyone has had any similar experiences or knowledge I'd appreciate it. I did have an appointment this week which i had to miss because my boss is really mad that I've pretty much used up all my sick/vacation days because of this and the problems that led to this. The next available appointment is over a  month away and I can never seem to get straight answers from my psych or the PA when  I do see them. They didn't warn me at all about anything that could happen besides the rash and pretty much dismissed my telling them how bad the side effects are getting however, there is very little mental health care here. Ugh! I'm rambling any information would be helpful sorry for the long post. I'm just frustrated and tired of feeling physically crappy on top of all the mental issues. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog