Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Warning: Topamax And Weed - Let's Maturely Talk About It.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 In_Remission_marisa.sherwood

In_Remission_marisa.sherwood
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

First of all, no, I am not going to sit here and advocate weed, but let's be honest, a lot of us smoke it to cope with disorders during phases such as medicine transitions or withdrawals, whether legally medically or illegally. I have bipolar disorder along with all the happy anxiety and horrible depression that comes with it, as well as post-traumatic stress disorder, and tourette's syndrome. I have been on countless medications over the last year and a half to try to find the right mixture, so far to no avail. Even being on quite a good amount of klonopin along with four or five other drugs at a time (trying to figure out what the hell the right mixture is, long story), my panic attacks and crying fits still are uncontrollable until I smoke up. It has literally been the ONLY thing that has consistently brought my fits, etc., down to a calm level. Please, do not berate me for what I need to do in order to keep my job, not hurt myself, or harm others. Like I said, I'm not here to convince everyone to go out and by a g.

SO, WHAT I AM HERE TO WARN YOU ABOUT is the effect that Topamax had on me when I smoked weed with it. I still have the hospital bracelet on from last night's visit to the emergency room. About 15 minutes after taking 2 hits off of a pipe, (I was standing), the room began to go black and I went unconscious. Fortunately, my husband caught me and brought me to the couch. I woke up a couple minutes later, not having any idea what had just happened, and having temporary amnesia. After that, I stayed sitting on the couch for safety, but continued to both fall unconscious and into complete catatonic episodes every few minutes. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stay coherent or conscious. My husband began putting ice in my hands and quizzing me on simple things (like naming sodas and what you did that day - a very useful trick similar to Mindfulness in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, in case it helps anyone). Once it got to a point of me not being able to respond to my husbands questions, he took me to the emergency room where I continued to fall in and out of consciousness. I have almost no recollection of the hospital visit until the very end. It was one of the most terrifying experiences of both my husband's and my life. I am fine now on the next day, but am still getting light headed when walking around.

WHAT ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY HAPPENED: The hospital told me that what physically happened was that the weed and Topamax were affecting the same portion of my brain, therefore overloading it, causing my blood pressure to drop to a dangerous level. That was why I continued to fall unconscious again and again - or Syncope as the paperwork officially said.

PLEASE be aware of my reaction so that you can be aware of what you are doing. Be sure to do plenty of research before mixing medication with marijuana because obviously they don't print it in the paper they give you with the pill bottle. I should have done my research and I paid by risking my life. I hope this helps those who use marijuana either legally and medically, or just on their own.

Be safe.

PS - This reaction never happened with Wellbutrin XL, Klonopin, Buspar, Abilify, or Lamictal, but DID happen with Luvox (see my post in the Luvox section). I am also officially getting off all medication after the reactions that I've had, both weed and non-weed/just-plain-side-effect related reasons, and going with a Chinese Medicine route. If anyone is interested, please feel free to comment and follow my posts).

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Closed per: CrazyMeds is not Erowid
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog