Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Depression Caused By Parasite, Not Brain Chemistry?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 participant

participant

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Diagnoses:misdiagnosed with mental illness
  • Current Meds:none

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

I found this story about a recent study. Basically they think that depression might be caused by a parasite and inflammation in the brain, rather than brain chemistry. There is a correlation between suicidal attempts and Toxoplasmosis infection, there is also a correlation between Bi-Polar and toxoplasmosis infection.

http://www.doctortip...l-attempts.html

Essentially the parasite affects behaviour and mood in some people and that Serotonin deficiency is simply a symptom of inflammation in parts of the brain affected by this parasite rather than the cause of the depression. It also can affect dopamine production which might account for the Bi-Polar.

It makes sense to me. It's like how HPV (the virus that causes genital warts) causes ovarian cancer so a vaccine like Gardasil can prevent cancer.

It would also explain cycles of depression and why people become depressed when their immune system is low (like women post-pregnancy or people after surgery).

It also might explain why different meds work or don't work for certain people. I have found that they have never worked for me.

It might also explain why ECT has a positive (if short lived) affect on people, maybe shocking the brain interferes with the parasite in some way causing relief for a certain period.

All of this is still early research... but it makes sense and I hope something comes from it.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 Grin

Grin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Diagnoses:pure O OCD
  • Current Meds:sertraline 300mg

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Interesting... I'm wondering though, 1. how can you find you have toxoplasmosis in your brain? and 2. how would they explain the genetic factor?

- It's a journey, not a destination. -

Currently on: Mapron 300mg
Previously on : Cipralex, Risperdal, Effectin, Citalon, Coaxil, Olanzapine, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Tegretol

#3 Artemisia

Artemisia

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression
  • Current Meds:sertraline, cetirizine, zolpidem

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

Because of how much I've been hanging out around cats my entire life, I probably have T. gondii. My own depression is pretty mild, though, in the grand scheme of things.

It'll be interesting to see where this research goes. I don't know how one would go about killing Toxoplasma inside the brain.

Grin, the argument could be made that the genetic predisposition could partly have to do with your predisposition for getting infected or fighting it off. Again, it'll be interesting to see where this research goes.

Edit: Of course Toxoplasma has also been implicated in schizophrenia--but the vast majority of the infected don't develop schizophrenia.

Edited by Artemisia, 21 August 2012 - 07:08 AM.

Current meds: sertraline 100mg, cetirizine 5mg, zolpidem 2.5 mg

#4 Velthir

Velthir

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

This has been posted a few times on the site, Jerod actually tried out treating toxoplasmosis in himself: http://www.crazymeds...nal-evaluation/

Dx: Dysthymia, recurrent treatment resistant depression, Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400 mg lamotrigine, 800 mg carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg of bupropion SR (Wellbutrin)
Failed meds: Citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: duloxetine (Cymbalta), nortriptyline, moclobemide, aripiprazole (Abilify), reboxetine

#5 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

I think all of us are carriers of toxo. In general I do not go for the one unifying cause for any kind of mental illness.

Edited by notfred, 22 August 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder PI, Refractory Insomnia, CSA, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor
Psyc meds: Aplenzin 522 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Lunesta 6 mg, Levetiracetam 2000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
Other: Fenofibrate, Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Hctz, Asprin, Metformin, Januvia, Ranitidine, Cetirizine, Nasalide, Montelukast
PRN's: Lorazepam, Alprazolam, Dextroamphetamine, Propranolol, Cyproheptadine, Patanol, Prednisone, Ipratropium, Ondansetron, Hydrocodone, Doxepin
Supplements: Fish Oil 6 g, Multi-vitamin/mineral, vitamin D 1,500 IU

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. ADD, insomnia, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage.
Arthur Rimbaud, Les Illuminations, Parade

"I think you are on enough medications." --my pdoc

Dr. Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.

Igor: What hump?

#6 participant

participant

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

It's something to look into and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Around 20% of people are infected with the parasite (depending on where you live).
Around 20% of people experience a major depressive episode at least once in their life, and
Around 20-30% of have no response to anti-depressants.

This doesn't prove anything, but it sure is one hell of a coincidence. Especially since the parasite has already been linked to Post-natal depression, schizophrenia and bi-polar.

To answer some questions:

1. It can be treated with any of the medications usually used to treat Malaria and similar parasites that affect the brain.

2. There may not be a genetic cause, but rather a genetic predisposition. It is entirely possible that the family cat infects parents and children alike, or potentially one parent and one or more children. It is also common for people who grew up with cats as kids to own them as adults... which could then pass the parasite onto their children. So what seems like a genetic factor might actually be an external environmental factor.

I really hope this research turns up some concrete results.

#7 Grin

Grin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

But, how do you know you have it? Antimalarics tend to have nasty side effects, so it's not like someone would take them just in case.

Also, wouldn't it show on your blood? A year ago I had a regular check-up and the bloodwork showed severe eosinophilia, which, as my gp explained, usually means parasites. Sure enough, a box of pills later, my eosinophil count was back to normal.
So, wouldn't a brain parasite trigger a similar reaction in the body?

Previously on : Cipralex, Risperdal, Effectin, Citalon, Coaxil, Olanzapine, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Tegretol

#8 Velthir

Velthir

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

I seem to recall reading something from Jerod when he was talking about it/considering trialling it that tests for it aren't standard bloodwork. Can sometimes be detected with PCR, otherwise brain biopsy so people tend to just treat it if it's seriously suspected.

Dx: Dysthymia, recurrent treatment resistant depression, Bipolar II/III (antidepressant induced mixed states/hypomania)
Rx: 400 mg lamotrigine, 800 mg carbamazepine (Tegretol XR), 600 mg of bupropion SR (Wellbutrin)
Failed meds: Citalopram (Celexa), agomelatine (Valdoxan), lofepramine, mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), quetiapine (Seroquel), trimipramine (Surmontil)
Partial-success: duloxetine (Cymbalta), nortriptyline, moclobemide, aripiprazole (Abilify), reboxetine

#9 Sasha

Sasha

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 200mg, Wellbutrin XR 450mg

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

I don't think anyone associated with that study wad claiming the infection was responsible for ALL depression. Just some, probably a relatively small proportion.

And way too many studies have found strong correlations between depression and specific genetic variations for it to be anything like reasonable to discount genetics as a causal factor.
"I tell you, if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman... S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what." - Edith Bouvier Beale

#10 Zoidberg

Zoidberg

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADD-Inattentive, Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
  • Current Meds:See signature...

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Suddenly, this board's use of the term "Brain Cooties" takes on a new meaning! :smiley:

Current Meds: Effexor 300mg; Terazosin 5mg; Propranolol ER 120mg; Trazodone 100mg PRN; Alprazolam 2mg PRN, Simvastatin 10mg
Previous Meds: Lamictal, Zoloft, Diazepam, Ambien, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil, Serzone, Buspar, Pristiq, Effexor, Seroquel, Remeron, Strattera, Wellbutrin, Geodon, Topamax, Dextroamphetamine, Desipramine, Ritalin, Adderall, Abilify, Concerta, Provigil, Lorazepam

#11 paellamagi

paellamagi

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar
  • Current Meds:Epilim 2000mg, Lexapro 10mg, Abilify 20mg, Lamictal 200mg, Temazepam 10mg prn

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

I suddenly feel this crawling sensation in my ears. It seems a little flimsy to me though. It's like saying a third of the population wears hats, and that the suicide rates are higher amongst hat wearers. My skeptic is showing.

Happy Pills: Epilim 2000mg, Lexapro 10mg, Abilify 20mg, Lamictal 200mg, Temazepam 10mg prn.

#12 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

I don't think anyone associated with that study wad claiming the infection was responsible for ALL depression.

Not what I am reading from the article:

Depression is more likely to be caused by inflammation in the brain, from an infection or parasite rather than a serotonin reduction. According to professor Brundin, when parts of the brain are inflamed, its chemistry changes, which can easily cause depression and even suicide thoughts.

Read more: http://www.doctortip...l#ixzz25KMtIwZe

Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder PI, Refractory Insomnia, CSA, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor
Psyc meds: Aplenzin 522 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Lunesta 6 mg, Levetiracetam 2000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
Other: Fenofibrate, Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Hctz, Asprin, Metformin, Januvia, Ranitidine, Cetirizine, Nasalide, Montelukast
PRN's: Lorazepam, Alprazolam, Dextroamphetamine, Propranolol, Cyproheptadine, Patanol, Prednisone, Ipratropium, Ondansetron, Hydrocodone, Doxepin

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. ADD, insomnia, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Dr. Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.

#13 Grin

Grin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

Of course, if ADs don't work well for you, it makes sense to try other options.

Good luck!

#14 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Those "other options" include a variety of other meds.

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

"What's your true self and what's your fake self. Yeah, and where are you on that scale? And how's it working for you? And sometimes you got to go with the fake one, and sometimes faking it 'til [you] make it is the best path, ... I mean sometimes for ... anybody I've known who's struggling ... you got to put your feet on the ground every day and say, you know, don't embrace the struggle, you're going to sink like a rock."

-- David O. Russell, the director of Silver Linings Playbook, in an interview with Terry Gross

(I took out most of the "you knows.")

#15 participant

participant

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

Psychiatrists are nothing more than the retail arm of pharmaceutical companies.

#16 Velthir

Velthir

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 661 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

Apart from the fact that a number of the 'other options' are generic out of patent drugs. Lithium and lamotrigine (generic Lamictal) both being good options for people with treatment resistant depression. Ditto for instant release quetiapine (Seroquel), risperidone (Risperdal), along with the MAOIs and tricyclics if you haven't tried them. All the SSRIs apart from Viibryd(SP?) are generic now, ditto for Effexor and Wellbutrin, so those being prescribed isn't down to big pharma marketing.

#17 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

This is a pro-med site. Sure, some pdocs are nothing but glorified pill-pushers, but most people here benefit from their expertise.

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

"What's your true self and what's your fake self. Yeah, and where are you on that scale? And how's it working for you? And sometimes you got to go with the fake one, and sometimes faking it 'til [you] make it is the best path, ... I mean sometimes for ... anybody I've known who's struggling ... you got to put your feet on the ground every day and say, you know, don't embrace the struggle, you're going to sink like a rock."

-- David O. Russell, the director of Silver Linings Playbook, in an interview with Terry Gross

#18 Grin

Grin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

This may be true (even if quite overgeneralized) but, as someone who's tried a lot of things before finally giving in and going for the meds - I don't care :) meds work, for me and many other people. I don't really care who profits from it as long as it helps me.

#19 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

UPDATE: So I got tested, and I showed up positive for a previous infection. Unfortunately where I live they will not treat Toxo unless you are HIV positive.

So I am looking into travelling to China, Indonesia or India to get treated. Antidepressants do not work for me. They only make things worse. So I am going to take the initiative and get my toxo treated. Yes, antimalarials are horrible... but Antidepressants give me serotonin syndrome so I am never going to take them again.

I will let you know how I go.

What country are you in now? It probably in most countries would cost less to find a doctor in private practice to just write you a script for some malarone.

Have you considered traveling to somewhere that malaria is endemic? Most doctors will prescribe antimalarial prophylaxis just for having travel plans there, but the dose will be lower than necessary to treat an active infection by quite a bit.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#20 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Painting it a bit broad here, I think.

WTF do you expect them to do ? They are MEDICAL doctors so the solutions will be MEDICAL.

Edited by notfred, 11 September 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#21 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Aspergers, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 300mg, TPM 325mg, protriptyline 60mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 60mg EPA 600

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

UPDATE: So I got tested, and I showed up positive for a previous infection. Unfortunately where I live they will not treat Toxo unless you are HIV positive.

The reason for that is because Toxo in adult humans is generally a problem only if your immune system is compromised, or you're pregnant. In the latter case it's your litter of little humans who are at risk. While I don't have HIV, my immune system, while never great to begin with, was made even worse by a chemical exposure in 1996. My white cell count is always below normal and my T-cells are fucking morons who can't recognize a strain of influenza they dealt with if it's been longer than two months.

So I am looking into travelling to China, Indonesia or India to get treated. Antidepressants do not work for me. They only make things worse. So I am going to take the initiative and get my toxo treated. Yes, antimalarials are horrible

Having just gone through a second course of them my advice is - try erythromycin first. Prior to starting the second course of Malarone I came down with a nasty case of strep throat and ended up taking two grams of amoxicillin a day for over a week. Once I was done with that social anxiety wasn't in my vocabulary. I still did the Malarone because I wanted those rat bastards deader than dead.

I actually enjoyed walking around downtown Seattle. I don't think I could live in that sort of environment, but cities don't bother me all that much right now.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#22 sircuit

sircuit

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1 and ADD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 300mg, Seroquel 50mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 200mg

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Participant:

"Around 20-30% of have no response to anti-depressants."

Then 70 to 80% have a response to anti-depressants. How can this be if depression is the result of a parasite?
  • Tried; Parnate, Celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Pristiq, Nardil, Manerix, Tegratol, Lamictal, Seroquel, Lithum, Zyprexa, Tofranil, Cipralex, Serzone, Remeron, Norpramin,Luvox, Pamelor, Topamax, etc., etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"If all the world's a stage, where does the audience sit?" George Carlin

#23 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

Something to consider: One of the more common anti-malarial treatments can cause psychiatric side effects. The New York Times ran a personal essay by someone who experienced them in today's paper.

A disclaimer: I'm posting this as food for thought, not to say that I agree with everything included in the essay.

(edited to add disclaimer)

Edited by Blue Heron, 08 August 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#24 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

More grist for the mill, with links to information from related studies: A lesson learnt: the rise and fall of Lariam and Halfan (full-text article from PubMed)

#25 Onlyme

Onlyme

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD
  • Current Meds:300mg Venlafaxen ER (2-150mg daily doses) 100 mg bupropion , klonopin 2 mg/day, 100 mg seroquel

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Participant:

"Around 20-30% of have no response to anti-depressants."

Then 70 to 80% have a response to anti-depressants. How can this be if depression is the result of a parasite?

Because it's human nature to believe in things that can be seen and killed, rather than something that is more ephemeral and requires a large amount of trial and error to effect what is in many cases a partial cure that often requires medication for life.

What? Me worry?

meds tried so far, cymbalta caused SEVERE sweating, wellbutrin + ativan, ativan worked but there was no effect from welbutrin, celexa + ativan, same effect. lexapro, no effect. lamictal, vivid bloody nightmares, fluoxitine was a bad trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts