Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

Seroquel And Hypoglycemia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EnergizerHoney

EnergizerHoney

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 300mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1-3mg prn, Ambien 10mg prn.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

I've only been taking seroquel ir for about a week now. Helps tremendously with my sleep and depression (until it wears off after about 12 hours). My problem is I'm feeling hypoglycemic with it. Not craving sugar, just am getting the low blood sugar shakes.

Is this typical? So far at one week point I've not gained anything but the hypoglycemia worries me. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what did u do about it? Does this symptom mean I'm gonna gain weight?

Weight gain is a deal breaker for me. Lady year I lost 70# and I look great! Not giving that up lol
Bipolar 1, Panic Disorder
Lamictal 400mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1mg prn
Failed: all anti depressants

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Ferdy

Ferdy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, PD w/severe agoraphobia, PTSD, OCD
  • Current Meds:For brain cooties: 15mg Remeron, 3mg Klonopin, 20mg Prozac, 25mg Atarax

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

Seroquel usually has the opposite effect that you describe. How do you know you're going hypo? Do you have a blood glucose test meter? Those symptoms could be something totally different from what you percieve as being hypoglycemic. As a matter of fact, my pdoc told me that his patients that might be prone to developing blood sugar control, pre-diabetes, or full blown adult onset diabetes, when he Rx's Seroquel, he will also Rx metformin prophilactically in those cases. I suppose you know that metformin is a drug that LOWERS blood glucose levels---

BRAIN DX: Treatment resistant unipolar MDD (major depressive disorder), GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), PD (panic disorder) w/severe agoraphobia, PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), OCD (obsessive/compulsive disorder)

PHYSICAL DX:  hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia (this all adds up to metabolic syndrome X---yeah, I'm a walking heart attack)

CURRENT BRAIN MEDS: 15mg/night Remeron (mirtazapine), 3mg/day Klonopin (clonazepam), 20mg/day Prozac (fluoxetine), 25mg/night Atarax (hydroxyzine)

CURRENT PHYSICAL MEDS: 25mg/night  Tenormin (atenolol), 100/25/day Hyzaar (losartan/hctz), 1250mg/day Glucophage (metformin), 20mg/day //@lipitor// (atorvastatin), 1000mg/day Niacin (nicotinic acid)

PRIOR UNCONVENTIONAL BRAIN TREATMENT MEDS:  Seroquel (quetiapine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Namenda (memantine HCl---yes, I've even tried an Alzhiemer's med---for it's action on the glutamatergic system as a glutamate antagonist)

PRIOR CONVENTIONAL BRAIN MEDS: YES, MY MEDICINE CABINET LOOKS LIKE A PHARMACY!  All the SSRI's (completely intolerable) except Lexapro (escitalopram---barely tolerable) and Prozac (fluoextine---best of the bunch, far from great, but it's the one I've gone back to), all the SNRI's (intolerable)---and now add Viibryd (vilazodone) to the list, Desyrel (trazodone) (caused severe hypotension and palpitations, PVCs, PACs), Neurontin (gabapentin---ineffective), Atarax  (hydroxyzine----ineffective but good as a sleep agent), BuSpar (buspirone---probably the nastiest poison I've ever taken), and the med shown in my avatar...OMG WATTA DRUG---lucky for me they outlawed that one...it's now classified Schedule I in the USA...it is sorely missed cause I know for damned sure IT would work...it's hard to be anxious and depressed when you're taking what is essentially heroin in pill form...and if you don't know what it is, you're showing your youth, lol!  And before you comment or ask why, the TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants) and the MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) are OUT of the question for me, due to the high risk of potential cardiac side effects...

#3 EnergizerHoney

EnergizerHoney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 300mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1-3mg prn, Ambien 10mg prn.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

I've always had problems with hypoglycemia, including passing out in the middle of Walmart,.etc...so I know what I'm feeling. I also have a blood sugar monitor to know what my numbers are (I'm an RN). I just find it unusual. Wanted to know if anyone else had this experience with being hypo instead of hyper on it. My fasting and regular blood sugars are always around 80 so there's no signs of diabetes at all. I'm thin (not that that means much I guess).
Bipolar 1, Panic Disorder
Lamictal 400mg, Seroquel 200mg, Klonopin 1mg prn
Failed: all anti depressants

#4 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

EnergizerHoney,

It's worth discussing with your PDoc to figure out the cause. Whether it's blood sugar levels, a kind of dyskinesia (movement problem) or the interaction of meds - you'll want to know what it is and what to do about it.

#5 RocketMan

RocketMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS - up for debate now?, OCD, Major Anxiety Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Current Meds:Seroquel XR 100mg, Lamictal 50mg, Clonazepam 1mg / 3xday

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yes, I take Seroquel XR 150MG at night for a couple of years now. I struggled with hypoglycemia prior to starting Seroquel and still, to this day, have to watch my diet in-order to maintain proper sugar levels. In that, I mean keep the sugar levels up, so protein and carb snacks throughout the day help that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions