Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Depakote And Hair Loss

depakote

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 crowseph

crowseph

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder with Schizotypal attributes, PTSD
  • Current Meds:400mg Lamictal

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

I've been off of Depakote for a week now, still losing handfuls of hair. If what I read was correct, it takes 2-4 days for it to clear out of the system. I was on 750mg a day for four months - that's not a large dosage, nor a long time. I'm not a guy - baldness doesn't even run on my mother's side of the family! Anyone else have this problem? What gives?
Current DX: Bipolar/Schizotypal, PTSD

Current RX: 400mg Lamictal

Past RX: Abilify, BuSpar, Celexa, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Lithium, Viibryd, Zyprexa.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

I've been off of Depakote for a week now, still losing handfuls of hair. If what I read was correct, it takes 2-4 days for it to clear out of the system. I was on 750mg a day for four months - that's not a large dosage, nor a long time.

It will probably take longer to clear out due to your dose and length of treatment. But the real factor is your hair's growth cycle. It takes time for the hair follicles to shed, rest and then regrow new hair. If you're going through a new growth cycle, it can take a while (3-6 months) to start growing in a whole head of hair..

And there's another surprise: sometimes hair that's lost due to Depakote grows back a different color (like gray - everyone's favorite) or texture (like curly instead of straight). So your new look will give you someting to talk about too. You want to make sure you're getting adequate nutrients that were depleted by the Depakote. This will help with hair regrowth.

#3 jakentoby

jakentoby

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:Depakote, Trileptal, Seroquel, Ativan, Wellbutrin

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

This is very discouraging to hear.  I have short wavy hair already, unhappy to be losing it and fearful that I'll have to go bald before seeing it grow back, if I quit dep.  Been on 750 mg Dep ER for about 4 months also and my hair loss is worsening.  Now my scalp is itchy, a little greasy, and scaley as well.

The Depakote has also been, so far, the only thing that helped me be friendly on the inside, instead of always just trying to fake it until I could be alone and not overstimulated again.  I have also been able to think clearly and slow down in my head.  

I have tried abilify, been on trileptal forever, seroquel at higher doses (just made me angry and sluggish), prn zyprexa (loved it but it has a bad profile), and I can't recall what else.  Got a red rash on Lamictal... doctor and I were concerned.  

I'm hoping maybe a lower dose of depakote will remain useful and the hair/scalp problem will stop... any thoughts anyone?

thanks much!

#4 Greta Garbo

Greta Garbo

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Diagnoses:left side of brain has electrical malfunction
  • Current Meds:Prozac 20mg, Zyprexa 5mg, Epival 750mg

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm loosing hair so much that I'm afraid to comb :o

Is there something I can do to avoid as much as possible this SE?

Thank you

meds:

1997-2002 Prozac 20mg, Rivotril 3drops

2008-2009  Altruline 100mg, Trileptal 300mg

2009- 2012 Prozac 60mg , Zyprexa 5mg

2012-  current   Prozac 20mg, Epival 750mg, Rivotril 2drops. (Lamictal25mg)

#5 fitfrenzy

fitfrenzy

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Anxiety Disorder, Migraines, Hypothyroidism

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

three months on  Depakote and haven't had an issue with hair loss.  Hair is still pretty thick and coarse and wavy like it normally is.  I'm a tad fatter though.  grr.

I'm having blood work done tomorrow so should know where my levels are in a day or two.

Current Med Cocktail:

Depakote 2000 mg,

Seroquel 300 mg, 

Alprazolam .5 ER and IR 

Levothyroxine 137 mcg.

#6 fitfrenzy

fitfrenzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

... and started losing hair two weeks ago.  It is all over the place. Clogging  the drain and the vacuum, you name it.  I get done blowing my hair dry and styling it and there is enough hair on the floor to build a muppet!

I have been down this road before with Lamictal.  I am thinking it is the Depakote, but maybe it is the Topamax?  I haven't really had any side effects on that one. My thyroid dose was upped about 6 weeks ago as well.

Any takers as to what is causing the hair loss?  Do you think it would start falling out 4 months after starting Depakote?

Current Med Cocktail:

Depakote 2000 mg,

Seroquel 300 mg, 

Alprazolam .5 ER and IR 

Levothyroxine 137 mcg.

#7 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

This is very discouraging to hear.  I have short wavy hair already, unhappy to be losing it and fearful that I'll have to go bald before seeing it grow back, if I quit dep.  Been on 750 mg Dep ER for about 4 months also and my hair loss is worsening.  Now my scalp is itchy, a little greasy, and scaley as well.

This sounds like psoriasis. It can exacerbate hair loss. I find that fluocinanide topical solution solves that problem.

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Lamictal 200mg;  Wellbutrin 150 mg;

For sleep (rotating):   trazodone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel,  Abilify,  Ambien, Viibryd, Chantix, Luvox

#8 jakentoby

jakentoby

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

Thank you... Been back and forth with Doc on dep er dose and liver tests... Decreasing aleve dose by half has helped keep liver tests lower although she has me on 1000 daily now & its time for another check... Haven't had the hairloss etc since February issue, but now my trunk and shoulders just itch like mad. I hear that happens with dep. Weight increase has also begun :( .

#9 fitfrenzy

fitfrenzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Thank you... Been back and forth with Doc on dep er dose and liver tests... Decreasing aleve dose by half has helped keep liver tests lower although she has me on 1000 daily now & its time for another check... Haven't had the hairloss etc since February issue, but now my trunk and shoulders just itch like mad. I hear that happens with dep. Weight increase has also begun :( .

count those calories and stay active and you should be ok.  My weight gain slowed down. Other than that, is the Depakote helping your mood like it was intended to?

Current Med Cocktail:

Depakote 2000 mg,

Seroquel 300 mg, 

Alprazolam .5 ER and IR 

Levothyroxine 137 mcg.

#10 jakentoby

jakentoby

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Well, its a mixed bag... I think so. I'm off the seroquel we had me on so that's a bonus, and I'm on less trileptal. And less aleve for the fibro pain because apparently Depakote helps with that. Oh and I'm off the Wellbutrin because that just over activates me. Now I'm on Depakote er 1000, trileptal 600, Ativan 1.5, and one tab aleve. I seem to be doing well :) . I'm not as drugged up but on the other hand I'm therefore less patient with people. I do have more energy now and have started walking again, so perhaps the weight thing can be managed :) . Thank you for asking!

#11 jakentoby

jakentoby

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm loosing hair so much that I'm afraid to comb :o

Is there something I can do to avoid as much as possible this SE?

Thank you

Hi all - wanted to say that I have been on Depakote ER for about one year, varying doses while we manage other meds too.  I am now on 1000 mg a day divided in two doses.  At first I was experiencing a lot of hair loss and itchiness on my scalp.  Eventually I found a post somewhere on the web that mentioned Biotin, Methyl Folate, and also Centrum Silver.  I take Biotin and Methyl Folate at night and the gobs of hairloss I had going on, and the itching scalp resolved.  WIth that said, I just went through a bout of itchy scalp but it's also settling down.  No additional hairloss tho :).

Slight weight redistribution and a little gain tho (couple pounds only, so far).  Weight seems to be moving to my middle, which I understand isn't such a good thing.

However... I am on fewer meds, lower doses of what I was on, and generally my thinking is more clear.  We'll see how it all goes.  Been a month since dropping two or three other meds so it's early days yet.

Best wishes!

#12 lostincornflakes

lostincornflakes

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1 rapid cycling w psychosis, PSTD, anxiety, and ADHD.
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Depaoke, Klonpin, Wellbutrin, Levothyroxine

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

I'm currently taking 1000 mg. Of depakote at bedtime. I had horrible hair loss when my pdoc increased it to 1250 mg. I had my dose changed back room 1000 mg. No more hair loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog