Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Help! Possible To Have Valium Withdrawals From 5Mg To 2.5Mg?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ghosts

ghosts

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Enabler
  • 307 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP I, OCD, TBI
  • Current Meds:lithium, methylphenidate, NAC, diazepam

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi all.

I'm really having some mood issues and I don't know what to do.

My inpatient pdoc gave me gabapentin as a mood stabilzer (I am aware of the studies, lawsuit, etc.) He thinks it can work on treatment resistant BP people with anxiety (me). I'm on 300mg 3 times a day. I'm on zoloft 50mg (pdoc also didn't believe SSRIs caused cycling).

He gave me valium with options. I could take it evening and morning, or just evening (for night anxiety that keeps me from sleeping). I chose just a night dose as I have difficulty sleeping. I could regulate the dose as needed. I seem to be very sensitve to meds and generally get by on very low doses. I left inpatient on only 2 mg of valium at night. I was given a rx for 5mg bid. I hit some anxiety a few weeks ago and went up to 5mg at night. I've been exercising more and have been really tired at night so reduced to 2.5mg. I've been 2.5mg for about a week.

Here's the thing. I feel like my mood might be changing. My anxiety is way up and I have more of the signs--depression, self destructive thoughts, paranoia etc. I talked to my regular doc and he said to try to hold out to my appt in 2 weeks with a new pdoc (took 5 months to get an appt--I was inpatient end of January. Inpatient pdoc does not have an outpatient office and regular doc was supposed to cover until new pdoc appt).

I've had nasty withdrawal symptons from klonopin a few years ago. Is it at all possible I can be experiencing withdrawal symptoms from that small reduction in valium?

Normally I'm pretty logical, but I will admit I'm freaking out a lot. It is a small reduction........

help.

10+ years and counting--stops on the med-go-round: Lexapro, citalopram, sertraline, Effexor, Cymbalta, buproprion, lamotrigone, Lamictal XR, gabapentin, divalproex, Abilify, Geodon, quetianpine, risperidone, amantadine, pramipexole, methylphenidate, propranolol, atenolol, lorazepam, clonazepam, diazepam, temazepam, Ambien, lithium, Cerefolin, N-acetyl cysteine.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 magenta

magenta

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Diagnoses:anxiety disorder
  • Current Meds:lexapro xanax

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

I've had nasty withdrawal symptons from klonopin a few years ago. Is it at all possible I can be experiencing withdrawal symptoms from that small reduction in valium?

Normally I'm pretty logical, but I will admit I'm freaking out a lot. It is a small reduction........

Basically U answered it. if you had "nasty" withdrawel from klonopin then U are probably prone to that sort of thing. Go slower. One way would be to tak 5 one day and then next day take 2.5 etc. or 5-5-2.5 then repeat 5-5-2.5 if after a week or so your stable the pattern can become say 5-2.5-2.5 then repeat. Of course you need to talk to your doc who is hopefully informed on the whole benzo paradigm-

#3 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

It might be. If you are prescribed 5 ang 5 keeps you feeling safer, keep 5 as your dose till you see the new doctor. Priority one until then should be survival.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#4 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

Thanks Mr West. One of these days I am going to ask you how you know so much about meds. I'm not necessarily refering to your post on this thread, but many posts I've read on this forum.

Anyway, I am more stable and not freaking out. It was not the valium. It was my old nemesis, akathisia. I had to get off the propranolol because it was reducing blood flow to my kidneys (which don't work well) and was giving me asthma. That started it. Lowered sertraline, and it's gone (mostly). It got pretty hellish--leg shaking, anxiety, doom, dread, self-destructive thoughts. One of these days I will start an akathisia thread. I've had it from every AAP, SSRI, SNRI I've been on (and Li, and antihistamines including things like dramamine). A frontal lobe injury seems to increase my susceptibility to it. I've got a lot of pubmed articles on it. I just need to take the time to write it up.

My understanding is that akathisia occurs when dopamine is reduced in the frontal lobes (VTA pathway to frontal lobes, not substantia nigra to striatum witch creates the extrapyramidal symptoms). Raising seratonin (and norepinephrine) can lower dopamine--or the AAPs simply lower it.

I will ask new pdoc next week how to control depression without SSRIs, SNRIs or AAPs. I may bring up provigil--see what he thinks. I am keeping with the 5mg valium--my only option to help with akathisia right now.

Thanks for your responses.

I might have an answer to that first question at some point. The simplest answer is reading, listening, and holy shit the internet is huge.

How's your blood pressure? It may be time to ask about an old fashioned stimulant.

Akathisia, the exprapyrimidal symptoms, and movement disorders in general happen when catecholamine (dopamine, *pinephrines) neurotransmitters and cholinergic neurotransmitters get knocked out of whack. The different particular ways and pathways this happens along are documented better in some situations than others. The drug classes you list that aggrevate your akathisia all have a definite anticholinergic action.

You've got a complicated situation and the frontal lobe injury can add some uniqueness to the way your situation has to be considered relative to how things work for other people, but there is always hope. You seem to be having quite the luck with gabapentin and valium, given what they are supposed to work for (also they aren't drugs with anticholinergic effects).

I know you've mentioned the frontal lobe injury a while back, but no doctor's trialed you on a stimulant yet?
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#5 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

It sounds like the new doctor is setting you in a nice direction. You're on something rather unique, a big part of it in all the things that aren't a part of it anymore because of the anticholinergic thing. It will be interesting to see how you feel over the next few weeks as this sets in with the akathisia hopefully gone.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog