Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Haldol Prn For Anxiety Vs Clonazepam Prn

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Revan

Revan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Diagnoses:persistant depressive disorder(dysthymia)/GAD/OCD / insomnia
  • Current Meds:doxepin/clonazepam/buspirone

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

A while back, almost a year ago when I was on risperidone. The weight gain got very out of hand, so I went off of it and lost all of the weight I gained. I was amazed on how fast the weight came off (about 30lbs).Then again...I DO jog everyday. My pdoc mentioned in a slightly suggestive way 'haliperidol' ("have you ever tried haloperidol", he said). At first I had the common knee jerk reaction when they recommend a typical AP...Am I THAT crazy...but we ending up putting me on depakote instead. ...I'm not on that anymore either though.

However, being the open minded person I am. I did a little research and came to the conclusion that haldol might be worth a try.
My pdoc said that haloperidol works much better as a PRN than risperidone and has less weight gain. I think if I were to go back on an AP I would want it to be PRN. It felt good on risperdal to actually be able to think clearly, but sort of took away my personality. I have never been on a med so emotionally numbing. Even the SSRI's were not as bad as risperdal in this regard. From what I understand haldol has similar therapeutic effects to risperdal.

The relief the risperdal gave from the moods episodes with the anxiety combined with really disturbing,morbid and intrusive thoughts. That feeling I just described is not constant it just comes in whenever I am under extreme stress and I get those horrible thoughts sometimes at the same time as when I get a panic attack,...no fun. ...If haldol could help that right away (prn) that would seem like the perfect solution. And I might not have to take it every day, so I could continue to have my normal range of emotions.

Whenever I get the intrusive thoughts I find myself needing to take extra clonazepam to get through it (which does not dull me emotionally whatsoever). I am wondering if perhaps the haldol could reduce the need for clonazepam as well? I don't like having to take so much of it ... When I get really bad I need to take 6mg a day (I take 2mg PRN), but I try to keep it much lower than that, like once or twice a day (2-4mg)

I would love to hear your experience with this med (or others similar to it) for anxiety (or whatever)! Either way I will bring it up to the pdoc and see what he has to say.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

I moved from klonopin to haldol. Haldol works much quicker and is much more effective for anxiety than klonopin, in my experience.

Current Meds:  Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#3 Revan

Revan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Diagnoses:persistant depressive disorder(dysthymia)/GAD/OCD / insomnia
  • Current Meds:doxepin/clonazepam/buspirone

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for the reply Nurse Ratched!... I guess giving it a try would not hurt.

Do you find it more or less as sedating than clonazepam, or not much different?

#4 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

It's definitely more sedating but I've taken klonopin for three years and I don't remember how sedating that was at first. Not so bad during the day if you're in the midst of a panic attack. It just brings you way down. However, I take one every night before bed and I have to find a place to lie down within 20 minutes.

Current Meds:  Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#5 Skamwise

Skamwise

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, panic
  • Current Meds:Propranolol ER 80mg, Bupropion SR 100mg b.i.d.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hmm I need something that works for my anxiety, and my pdoc is very reluctant to prescribe benzos because I've had a past issue with alcohol, although benzos have worked very well for me. Maybe I will really look into this Haldol...

#6 BipolarJustin

BipolarJustin

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar type 1 /Anxiety/ADHD

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

I not know anything about haldol but klonpion does wonders for me.

(Effexor Xr 150mg.) (Seroquel XR 600mg bedmeti.)  (Klonopin 1mg TID) (Flovent 250mcg.) (Detrol LA 4mg.) (Desmopressin Acetate 0.2mg. QHS) (Omeprazole40mg BID.) (Voltaren XR 100mg) (Losartan 100mg) (Topamax100mg BID) (Vyvanse 40mg)

#7 lcfrogs

lcfrogs

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, MDD, ADHD, EDNOS, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:Adderall XR, Effexor XR, Ambien, Klonopin

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

I took haldol for over a year. For me, I wouldn't use it as a PRN because I don't think it brings immediate relief for anxiety. But by taking it every day my anxiety was much less intense overall and I didn't have a need for a benzo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog