Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy
Photo

Is Trazodone A Weight Gainer?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ankh

ankh

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Diagnoses:anxiety, depression, sleeping disorder
  • Current Meds:100 XR seroquel, klonopin prn

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

Hi,

I've read most topics but rarely see as a side effect weight gain or hungerstrike. What's the average on trazodone?
I am asking this cause I am on seroquel now and put on weight, while I am already overweight. Besides it isn't working for sleep anymore. So chances are I am gonna switch.

thanks, Ankh
Since 2001 Paxil in various doses. Weaned off. Other meds tried: Citalopram, Fevarin, Prozac (allergic?), Effexor (sent me to the roof) and Remeron (no more sleep after stressfull period).
zyban for quit smoking (sent me to the roof)
dogmatil (speed)
100 mg XR seroquel for sleeping.
Had all the benzo's and some sleeping meds.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Trazodone causes weight gain (over 6 kg) in greater than 2% but less than 10% of patients with chronic use at therapeutic doses.
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#3 OnceARunner

OnceARunner

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Prozac 30 mg Clomipramine 150 mg, Risperadal .75mg Ativan 1 mg PRN Metformin 1000mg

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

I haven't found it to cause weight gain but that might not be your experience.

Good luck.

#4 ankh

ankh

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

thanks, now I have an indication in case of....
Since 2001 Paxil in various doses. Weaned off. Other meds tried: Citalopram, Fevarin, Prozac (allergic?), Effexor (sent me to the roof) and Remeron (no more sleep after stressfull period).
dogmatil (speed)

#5 chelle25

chelle25

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Diagnoses:Phychotic disorder NOS
  • Current Meds:geodon 20 mg once a day

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

It hasn't caused weight gain for me. In fact I'm not getting up night eating like I used to. I found that the 50 mg was making me too groggy in the am after taking it for a while so I started cutting them in half.

#6 ankh

ankh

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hi Chelle,

Good to hear! At what time do you take the trazodone? Does it make you sleep well? Cause of my sleeping disorder...
dogmatil (speed)

#7 chelle25

chelle25

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi ANKH,

I take trazodone at my bedtime which is 8:30pm. I take it along with my Geodon. For the last 2 years I have developed some kind of sleeping problem. I do not sleep restful and I get up every 1-2 hours but had no problem getting back to sleep. Even when I was sleeping it was not restful. I was getting up eating 2-3 times a night.

I have recently added the trazodone. I still get up but not quite as often and I find I'm not looking for food either. Trazodone is giving me a more restful sleep. A softer sleep, more comfortable.

#8 ankh

ankh

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Hi Chelle,

Maybe something's wrong with your REM-sleep.
I am glad however that your sleep has improved with trazodone.
I went to my doc today and she wanted to try melatonine 5 mg first before adding a med to my cocktail. Taking it with 50 mg of seroquel. On the seroquel alone I don't sleep. Only "advantage" I am not going to kitchen for food (never done) :smiley:

See what its gonna do...
dogmatil (speed)

#9 chelle25

chelle25

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Pdoc thinks my sleep problem is due to going through menopause. Melatonin sounds good it's supposed to be a more natural, holistic approach. I have not tried that yet.

#10 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

I don't know what the therapeutic dose referred to above is but if you're taking it for sleep you're likely to be taking far less than a therapeutic dose for depression. I'm prone to obesity and never gained weight on it or at all for about ten years of the twenty or so years i took it. There is an endocrinologist near me who is about 180 years old but still in practice who routinely prescribes it even for his patients who are on a very strict diet as he feels it's the gold standard for sleep.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#11 ankh

ankh

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

Hi Chelle,

Your pdoc could be very right! I started a tread on menopause on the women topic. I actually had severe sleeping problems when my menopause began, although before that I slept more or less great on paxil. But that stopped and got me sleepness, sleepness. First I did not know what the heck was wrong but then I got a blood test that said I was lacking extrogen which messes with your sleep. I got injections every 3 months like sort of the pill - got to look up the name, my doc called it "depot". and it helped a good deal.

Now my sleeping is reasonable with 5 mg melatonin, 50 mg of seroquel and xanax prn.

Val,
do you mean the dose of melatonin?
For depression I have started Lex and I am weaning off paxil.
dogmatil (speed)

#12 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:200mg lamotrigine; 300mg quetiapine IR; Agomelatine, 50mg; thyroxine, 125mg

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

I'm not sure about this as my appetite has certainly increased since I started Trazodone, but I think that's because my mood has lifted. When I'm super-low I stop eating. I think that the increased appetite is a product of 1) that the Trazodone seems to suit me and is working, even at 50mg, ii) My body's been deprived of nutrients for a few weeks.

Given the relationship between mood and appetite, I think it's very difficult to separate side effects of some medications from other factors. (Although, to be clear, I know that some med's very clearly increase appetite. I've experienced that myself.)

Edited by historymum, 28 May 2012 - 02:40 AM.

Previous dx: postnatal depression

Failed med's: Sertraline, Citalopram, Trazodone, Olanzapine, Quetiapine XR, lithium, Abilify

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions