Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Melatonin And Prozac

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jendaizbee

jendaizbee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder, hypothyroidism, Fibromyalgia, Sjogren's Syndrome
  • Current Meds:Prozac, Latuda, Clonazepam, Vistaril, Ambien, Risperdal Consta IM, Melatonin

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hey folks,

Does anyone have a clue how SSRI's like Prozac interact with Melatonin? I've been using Melatonin for about two years almost every night, because I have horrible insomnia. Lately, I've had to use ridiculous amounts some nights just to be able to sleep at all - I mean up to 50 mgs. (the highest form they come in over the counter that I've seen is a 10 mg capsule). I know this is abnormal and weird, as well as probably a bad idea. But my rheumatologist who I see for an autoimmune disease and Fibromyalgia told me "It's impossible to overdose on Melatonin" once, so, you know, I get desperate for sleep and take desperate measures.

My question is: I've been on Prozac for a couple of months now after going off Wellbutrin because I have mild OCDD and the Prozac helps with that. But I'm wondering whether or not taking all this Melatonin is counteracting the Prozac's effects on my Seratonin, or, if to the contrary, it's compounding the effects. Either way, I really have no clue about it.

Any information would be helpful.

I was on 60 mgs. of Prozac for a couple weeks because that's the recommended dose for OCD but my psychiatrist thought I was becoming hypmanic and so he reduced it back down to 40 mgs last week. Some nights I take 20 mgs of Melatonin but anything less than that fails to be effective - probably because I've been using it for so long.

"Its Latin name may come from bellis, meaning beautiful, so Bellis Perennis can be translated to perennial beauty, as the daisy flowers for so long. Or bellis may come from bellum, Latin for war, because it grew in fields of battle, and can staunch bleeding and reduce bruising and shock. One of the daisy's old names is bruisewort.

The cheerful little daisy is a symbol of innocence because of its association with children, and of survival.
Daisies adapt to almost any landscape and soil type, and will survive being trodden underfoot and all the indignities of the hoe and the lawnmower."
-Anne McIntyre, Flower Power

http://www.suicidalnomore.com

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Type

Current Meds: Trilafon, Clozaril (going off now), Prozac, Valium, Vistaril, Melatonin, Ambien, and non-psych meds for thyroid and Lupus

Past Meds: APs - Seroquel, Risperdone, Geodon, Abilify, Haldol and Thorazine (those 2 in hospitals)
Antidepressants: Prozac, Paxil, Effexxor, Anafranil, Elavil, Tofranil, Remeron 
 Prozac 50 mgs, Latuda 80 mgs, Clonazepam 1.5 mgs, Vistaril 100 mgs, Ambien 10 mgs, Risperdal Consta injections - 50 mgs biweekly, Melatonin for additional sleep help, other non-psych meds and other SSRI's I can't recall

Mood Stabilizers: Neurontin, Lithium, Lamictal, Depakote, perhaps others
Others: Luvox, Ritalin, Cogentin and others like it, Restoril, Trazadone plus more I cannot remember

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Shatneresque

Shatneresque

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder,ADD, checking the stove.
  • Current Meds:Not a thing.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

When I take melatonin, I have to stop for a few weeks to get the benefits, if I just keep taking it it actually disrupts my sleep. I'm new to Prozac myself and have found my anxiety (which can veer into OCD-Land) is much worse. Including night -time anxiety. But it's kicking depressions butt.

Edited by Shatneresque, 29 May 2012 - 07:32 AM.

I feel better already!

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

No reactions that I know of and a med interaction check does not turn any up. Given how common these two meds are if there is a serious interaction it would be well know. People get tolerant to Melatonin. Caffeine increases the effectiveness of Melatonin, that's to only interaction I came up with.

Edited by notfred, 29 May 2012 - 07:43 AM.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog