Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Generic Provigil Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Shatneresque

Shatneresque

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder,ADD, checking the stove.
  • Current Meds:Not a thing.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi Crazylandia inhabitants.

My pharmacy sent me a email saying I can now replace my Provigil ($125 a month) with the generic version and they need my okay to do so.

Before I say yes and say the money, I want to know if anyone has noticed any differences. I am very happy with the provigil and have been taking it for several years. Without it, I cannot function. (i.e. ADD, chronic fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Major depressive disorder)

Thank you! :)

I feel better already!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD w/Panic and Major Depression Symptoms
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg/24hr, .25mg Xanax prn

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I checked our drug information systems today regarding this.

It appears that Cephalon, the maker of Provigil, has been purchased by Teva, titan generic manufacturer. There are currently three manufacturers selling a generic labeled 'modafinil' : Cephalon (brand holder), Teva, and Par. All three are using the same brand name NDA license on file with the FDA. In addition, Elsevier's Clinical Pharmacology has images and references available for the generic product being shipped for all three drug companies.

They're all the same pill. Images of all three products show a white oblong tablet with "Provigil" on one side, and the strength on the other. All products have the same inactive ingredients.

At this time, it appears that Teva has purchased Cephalon, licensed the marketing of the drug to Par, but all three drug companies are distributing the same tablets from the same source. Basically, it may be labeled as a generic, but all references currently indicate that they're just redistributing brand name tabs.

This is a pretty welcome change, given that over the last five years, Cephalon has done some of the most insane price gouging I've ever seen with Provigil. We'll see if prices drop.

#3 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Sweet.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#4 SleepingUgly

SleepingUgly

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, sleep disorder, social anxiety disorder, daytime sleepiness
  • Current Meds:citalopram, modafinil

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

I have the same question. Unlike your experience, Shatneresque, my meds insurance provider just refused my prescription refill without explanation, and the pharmacy didn't know what was going on. I spent a week off the meds while this was getting straightened out, and the pharmacy (and then I) eventually learned that there was now a generic. I actually came to this forum looking for info on provigil withdrawal/rebound, which I'd been experiencing because of not being able to get the refill. I actually haven't found anything on that, which surprised me, since I lapsed into heavy somnolence without the provigil and spent days having great difficulty functioning. Given this experience, I'd like to know whether, if I eventually taper off the modafinil completely, I should expect a lengthy withdrawal period.

Anyway, I just started the generic today. I'll be interested in hearing whether people experience any differences with the generics.

Does this mean we won't have to supply piles of documentation anymore to get the medication??

Edited by SleepingUgly, 21 April 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#5 Shatneresque

Shatneresque

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder,ADD, checking the stove.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Serpens, thank you for looking up that information. If the generic is without glitches, this is a welcome change indeed.

SleepingUgly, I could just sign my name to your post, because this is exactly what happened to me. I was also without it for a month after my insurance just up and decided not to pay anymore. I could not function that month either. I could not think myself out of a paper bag.

Let us know how you do on the generic and I will do the same.

I feel better already!

#6 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

I have the same question. Unlike your experience, Shatneresque, my meds insurance provider just refused my prescription refill without explanation, and the pharmacy didn't know what was going on.
Anyway, I just started the generic today. I'll be interested in hearing whether people experience any differences with the generics.

Insurance companies and pharmacy processors rely on certain IT resources in order to figure out how to pay pharmacy claims. There are three primary ones: Medispan Master Drug Database, First Drug Bank, and Redbook. Depending on what field the company is in, there may be additional resources from the FDA or CMS, or state contracts.

One of the key fields is a indicator that identifies the product as a single-source brand name (N), a multi source brand product (M), a generic (Y) or a brand name drug with generics on the market (O). Depending on what value one of these products has determines wether or not a plan covers it, what the copay is, and how the pharmacy is paid for it.

In this case Provigil went from a single source brand name (N) with 80 repackagers (which no one pays for), to ~ 4 NDCs from three manufacturers with different indicators which changed several times over the course of several weeks. This wrecks holy hell with plan logic and can trigger mass confusion. Retail pharmacies in particular can be bad about these changes, as they do not look up in the master references what is available - they tend only to look at their stock, or the immediate stock of their suppliers. To top it off, all three of these companies are distributing the same brand name pill, from the same manufacturing plant, which takes a while to sort out.

Now, account managers and PBM staff check for these changes as they update into the live systems. When one of these crops up, they send notices to plan sponsors (e.g., Medicaid, your union/employer benefit office etc) that changes need to be made in order to keep things from blowing up. These requests to fix things are usually ignored by said sponsors until things blow up, totally defeating the purpose.

For instance, two medicaid programs I work with we have now been yelling at non-stop for 3 weeks or more to fix things.

Does this mean we won't have to supply piles of documentation anymore to get the medication??

Not right this second, but things may change. There are two big factors here, both relating to the company Cephalon that was selling Provigil. One was the absolute INSANE price increases they've steadily been tacking onto Provigil over the last 6-7 years.

The second relates to the prolific off-label use of the drug, most of which is supported by very weak, to no evidence. Some of the off-label uses have been heavily discredited, especially in Multiple Sclerosis. The primary indications for which the drug is approved are relatively uncommon.

The other is Cephalon's off label marketing. There have been several FDA warning letters regarding promotional materials which blatantly promoted it for uses it had never been studied for, basically stating that the drug should be offered to any patient who complains of any fatigue or sleepiness. In another incident, an MD paid by Cephalon gave a presentation to of all things, a State Medicaid P&T committee promoted the drug for uses it had never been studied for, uses in which it had been discredited as effective, and uses in which it had been found dangerous and the company had ended studies in.

All of which of course, results in a large volume of the drug actually being prescribed for those things. So a lot of this depends on how Teva handles itself going forward.

Serpens, thank you for looking up that information. If the generic is without glitches, this is a welcome change indeed.

Let us know how you do on the generic and I will do the same.

Well, at the moment, all resources indicate the 'generic' is the same pill as the brand name, with 'modafinil' on the label the pharmacy prints instead of 'pro vigil.

#7 SleepingUgly

SleepingUgly

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, sleep disorder, social anxiety disorder, daytime sleepiness

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hi, Shatneresque-

I'm back, and I'm interested in hearing about your experiences with the generic. In the three weeks or so that I've been taking the generic, I'm becoming really concerned. The modafinil, which I'm taking in the same dosage as the Provigil (200MG), is having no effect on me. At all. Ordinarily, I'm very sensitive to drugs, and, in fact, I don't even drink coffee because it takes me so long to eliminate it from my system that a cup in the morning keeps me up that night.

But with this generic, I'm logy, I'm having cognitive problems, and I've been falling asleep while I drive. It's scary. I don't know why a generic would be any different from the brand version, and I ordinarily take generic anti-depressants, pain relievers, etc. without any problem. (OK, I'm skeptical as to whether the anti-depressants have any effect for me either way, but that's another story).

If this were anything other than a drug, I'd take it back to the store and say "I want my money back---this clearly isn't working".

The bottle I have is manufactured by Cephalon, so wouldn't it be be exactly the same as Provigil, Serpens?

I'm really disappointed. The other meds I've tried haven't worked for me. Ritalin (actually, methylphenidate) didn't do anything. Adderall, which I was placed on some years ago, made me extremely irritable---in fact, while I was on Adderal, I went off on my supervisor and was fired. I refuse to take Adderal again, ever, even though my pdoc, my therapist, and my primary care doc kept encouraging me to do so. So I was really pleased with how well Provigil worked for me, without getting me wired, or interfering with my sleep..

I'm wondering if I should see about upping the dose, but I don't know why I would need to do that if it's exactly the same drug. Since I'm a small person and a slow metabolizer, I'd be nervous about a dosage increase.

I'm interested in hearing about your experiences, Shatneresque, and your thoughts, Serpens.

#8 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

The bottle I have is manufactured by Cephalon, so wouldn't it be be exactly the same as Provigil, Serpens?

Yup. According to every resource I can locate, at least as of a week or so ago, all the pills are coming from Cephalon, regardless of them being sold as brand or generic.

But with this generic, I'm logy, I'm having cognitive problems, and I've been falling asleep while I drive. It's scary. I don't know why a generic would be any different from the brand version, and I ordinarily take generic anti-depressants, pain relievers, etc. without any problem. (OK, I'm skeptical as to whether the anti-depressants have any effect for me either way, but that's another story).

I think dose may be an issue here. 200mg qd is kind of the bottom range of the dosing I've seen for sleep disorders. It's where people start. Generally, 200mg bid is way, way more common. Unfortunately I know this because of Cephalon's damned price gaming.

It may be worth giving Nuvigil a go, or tinkering with the dosing on Provigil. It's totally anecdotal, but I've pretty consistently seen doses escalate into the higher range for sleep disorders.

#9 Shatneresque

Shatneresque

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hi and thanks for the update. It's interesting you should post an update, as I came in here last last night to post in the ADD forum of my lack of focus and concentration.

SleepingUgly, I'm experiencing similar issues. In fact, I have questioned if I had actually took the pill that day or forgot to take it, it has been so ineffective. I have been on Provigil for years, and only doing the generic the past month, so it can't be a coincidence. And like most people, I cannot afford the $800 a month the non generic would be.

I feel better already!

#10 SleepingUgly

SleepingUgly

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

In fact, I have questioned if I had actually took the pill that day or forgot to take it, it has been so ineffective.

Same here, exactly!!

Generally, 200mg bid is way, way more common.

200mg twice a day sounds like a lot to me, but perhaps I should try it

It may be worth giving Nuvigil a go,

I'm between pdocs, but I'll check into it when I get a new one. Thanks!

#11 1Finngal

1Finngal

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:OSA
  • Current Meds:morphine for chronic LBP and modafinil

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hi, All! I just Googled "How does Provigil compare to the generic modafinil?" I came up with this site. The generic came out just a few months ago here in FL. I pay $10 co-pay vs. $40 for a 30-day supply. It may be the same ingredients, but I notice a definite difference. I don't feel awake anymore like I did with the name brand. It sucks! I've read that even though name brands and generics are supposed to be equivalent, patients often notice differences. I wish I knew for sure. However, I definitely notice a negative difference. I like the price, but I'm thinking about asking for the name brand next month - or else try Nuvigil again (http://www.internetd.../nuvigil-Coupon) - I didn't like it the first time I tried it. I'm frustrated because I just don't feel awake like I did while on the brand-name Provigil. I was looking to see if anyone else has seen a difference. I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in November 2008 and started Provigil in January 2009. It made a world of difference in my life.

#12 1Finngal

1Finngal

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

I was just reading up on the manufacturer's of Provigil and its generic modafinil.
I seriously think we're being scammed. In the US, it's pretty much a monopoly. I think Cephalon is deliberately mickey-mousing their generic so that patients will request their name-brand at the higher price. I'm going to look into filing a complaint. Hope you all join me.

Edited by Serpens, 18 August 2012 - 01:32 AM.
Link a violation of user agreement

#13 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

I was just reading up on the manufacturer's of Provigil and its generic modafinil.
I seriously think we're being scammed. In the US, it's pretty much a monopoly. I think Cephalon is deliberately mickey-mousing their generic so that patients will request their name-brand at the higher price. I'm going to look into filing a complaint. Hope you all join me.

Please refrain from posting links to any online pharmacies, particularly to a site that is so disreputable.

Also, see above, Cephalon has been bought out.

#14 1Finngal

1Finngal

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

Please refrain from posting links to any online pharmacies, particularly to a site that is so disreputable.

Also, see above, Cephalon has been bought out.

Thank you for setting me straight.

#15 ceinorb

ceinorb

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:narcolepsy
  • Current Meds:Provigil (generic)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm so glad to find this post.  Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.  

I was diagnosed with narcolepsy 2 years ago and have been taking Provigil.  I was only 200mg (starting dose for narcolepsy) and because there isn't a built-up of resistance and very few side effects (compared to the alternatives) I have choose to stick with it despite the out of pocket expense. **Side note- was paying $245 out-of-pocket till 3/31 when it went up to $294 -- about the time of the sale of the company... interesting)  Started the generic in May (out-of-pocket $258 month. Not sure there is a savings since they jacked the price up before they dropped it). I feel like I'm not taking anything and being taken advantage of!  

I'm always tired, taking naps like crazy, having sleep paralysis and very irritable.  It's hard to stay awake at work... Which pays for my medicine. 

Thank you for all the research.  I  don't think I would have ever connected the dots. Before I found this forum and I thought it was all in my head.   

I talked with my doctor last week and shared my concerns.  He wants me off the generic.  However, insurance won't pay for it till I'm due for a refill (9/14) and the insurance wants to penalize me $65 a month for not using the generic.  UGH!

I'm sure I could up my generic dose, but why? For 2 years I have been symptom free.  

The changes I felt when I went generic seemed normal considering the family dynamics.  At first I was thinking the added stress was causing the symptoms. I'm a mom of 4, 1 in collage, 1 graduating high school, 1 starting high school, I have a full time job and my spouse is a police officer with changing work shifts. Then I remembered, these are all things I have gone through before, but Provigil kept me awake and focus.   

I have a very high functioning form of narcolepsy.  I really worry about those who are not as fortunate. 

I have always wondered  what precious ingredient was in the pill (gold,  titanium) that made it SO expensive.  Now I know its not only the ingredient it's tiny Pharmaceutical company who has used those of us with "orphan" disorders to make millions.  

Thank you, again.  I'm interested in knowing if anyone has any success with the generic drug.  

#16 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

Just an update here.

A new generic by Mylan has appeared on the market. Unlike the Teva/Par and Cephalon 'generics', this does not appear to be the brand name pill being redistributed as a generic.

It currently appears to be priced similar to the brand name. It may be under some form of licensing from Teva, however I can't provide a great deal more information. Mylan is notoriously sluggish about providing updates to major pharmacological resources - things like pictures, ANDA#s etc. At this time I've only seen a physical description of the pill and its NDC#s.

#17 MarvinGardens

MarvinGardens

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Narcolepsy, potential dysthymia
  • Current Meds:Xanax,Celexa, Provigil, Adderall

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

Shatneresque,

Do you know how your insurance is going to cover the generic? I was on Provigil/Nuvigil for a number of years .. recently got transitioned to something different. It was my understanding the generic was not much cheaper than the Cephalon branded med. Many insurance companies (mine is one of them) has me pay a percentage of the med if it's costly. I was so psyched when I foudn out the generic was finally available and about cried when I found out it wasn't any cheaper.

Hi Crazylandia inhabitants.

My pharmacy sent me a email saying I can now replace my Provigil ($125 a month) with the generic version and they need my okay to do so.

Before I say yes and say the money, I want to know if anyone has noticed any differences. I am very happy with the provigil and have been taking it for several years. Without it, I cannot function. (i.e. ADD, chronic fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Major depressive disorder)

Thank you! :)

Fiction Over Fact Always Gets My Vote
Wrinkles Only Go Where the Smiles Have Been

#18 MarvinGardens

MarvinGardens

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Narcolepsy, potential dysthymia
  • Current Meds:Xanax,Celexa, Provigil, Adderall

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

As for the generics .. I have zero expereince with the US generic that recently becamse available. I have an Indian co-worker who is prescribed Modafinil as he has OSA. He buys his in India when he's there doesn't seem to be a really big deal in that part of the world. (he does have to work the math out at customs that this is a personally consumable amount). I've swapped him a couple of my Nuvigil or Provigil for a couple of his Indian Modalert or Modapro ... I couldn't tell a difference - neither could he. The BIGGEST difference I saw was that the Modalert came in a foil strip of 10 with the maximum selling price stamped on each strip. My friend indicated that based on his knowledge of rupees to dollars, it came out to less than $2 US for 10 Modalert.

That said, I couldn't tell any real difference between Provigil and Nuvigil - except Cephalon graciously provided a card that paid $50 of my copayment with Nuvigil - making it slightly cheaper than Provigil. Modafinil is funny stuff. I've met more than one person who has indicated they don't get a consistent reaction from it. Some days it helps .. some days you wonder if you took anything at all.

Of course your mileage will vary .. particularly if you run the air conditioner and drive a lot in heavy traffic.
Fiction Over Fact Always Gets My Vote
Wrinkles Only Go Where the Smiles Have Been

#19 Jessica82

Jessica82

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

I can not agree with you, as I take just generic provigil and I 've never had some feeling that it does not work.. Frankly speaking I have never taken brand one however I did not need as everything that I expected from it - I got from Modafinil!

Edited by Jessica82, 24 September 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#20 lavender

lavender

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Abilify, Effexor, Neurontin, Provigil

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

I just picked up generic Modafinil from the pharmacy, and the receipt says my insurance paid $1222 for a 15 day supply. (aparently my insurance wouldn't pay or the 30 days she wrote out). I was wondering what others pay for Madafinil. The price seems really inflated to me.

Edited by lavender, 24 September 2012 - 10:51 AM.

DX: Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, Alcoholism-sober for 9 years
Other Medical Conditions: Hypothyroid, Graves Disease, Fibromyalgia, Sleep Apnea, Migraines, Heart Palpitations
Current Meds: Abilify 7.5 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Neurontin 1500 mg, Provigil 200 mg, Armour Thyroid 150 mg, Metoprolol 25 mg am&pm
Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D, Iron, Fish Oil
Failed Meds: Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Wellbutrin

#21 cybersal

cybersal

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:sleep apnea
  • Current Meds:generic provigil

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

I can guarantee that Modafinil does not work the same as Provigil. Previously I took 1/4 a 200mg Provigil and skipped 2 days (1 200mg pill made to last a week). That 1/4 tablet worked rings around a 1/2 200 mg Modafinil. The Provigil is $1,200 per month for 30 (Walmart) and the Modafinil is over $700. Insurance finally accepted the generic but I used up my dollar part of drug allowance in 3 months. I take 1/2 a pill so can make the rx last 2 months. The funny thing is that the pills are stamped Provigil and the bottle says Modafinil and made in Canada.
Taking a whole Modafinil makes me extremly jittery at the end of the day whereas the REAL Provigil did not. May be my mind playing tricks but I get very little from the generic and I still have to pull over to sleep while driving.... Except when I can't..... One minute you think you are ok, enter the HOV lane and 30 minutes later you have a severe sleep attack at 70 MPH and no where to exit. Very scarey. If I won the lottery I'd put the money towards real Provigil.

Edited by cybersal, 27 December 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#22 tw0nk

tw0nk

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 160 posts
  • Diagnoses:Refractory Depression, OCD, derealization, IBS-C
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 20mg, Nuvigil 225mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Abilify 2.5mg

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm currently paying through the nose ( ~ $700 ) for Provigil since my insurance won't cover it since I do not have an indicated condition (my fatigue is from depression).  Does anyone have any updates on a cheaper version appearing in the US?

So right now I'm paying a ton of money every month for health insurance that doesn't pay for the only med that helps me.  Fantastic.

I love the smell of Nardil in the morning. The smell, you know that chemical smell. Smells like victory. Some day this war's gonna end...

#23 tpol

tpol

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:MS depression anxiety
  • Current Meds:provigil

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

I am not one to blog or post replies, but I feel very strongly that I must do so in the case of PROVIGIL vs the generic MODAFINIL. I have MS, with severe fatigue being a major symptom. Last Spring I had a major relapse. I did not realize until March of this year (based on the year-end summary of co-pay amounts) that I had been switched to the generic form of Modafinil. It finally dawned on me why I was totally wiped out and unable to concentrate despite taking the medication. I am back to taking the brand name - I have taken it for a month- and the difference is quite palpable.

This was truly a blind trial because I was not aware that I was taking the generic form (I was so out of it that I did not read the label on the bottle). I have taken generics before-an example is Lamotrigene. I really thought it was important to join this thread because both my neurologist and a CVS pharmacist told me that they are exactly the same as both are manufactured by the same company (to wit, both have the word PROVIGIL on the pill itself).

Since I called for a refill a few minutes ago and the pharmacist insisted that they are both manufactured by the same company, I was self-doubting and quite concerned that I could be so gullible (by the way I am not a hypocondriac and a major incentive to do well on the generic is financial). so I went to the internet. I read a lot but this page was the most useful, since it contains an account of personal experiences,  not FDA regulation standards or  other arguments that totally discount the validity of individual experiences.

So, my advice: listen to yourself. I do take advice, but I also know whether I am feeling more alert or not, It is reassuring to read that I am not alone on this matter.

Thank you to those who posted their experiences. People are fast to doubt others whose experience departs even a little from the majority's.

#24 korey1015

korey1015

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:check my signature

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

tpol, if your generic Provigil pills said "Provigil" on them, they were probably from Teva and were actually the same exact pills as the brand Provigil. I think the first approved generic Provigil manufacturer (Teva) had a 6-month exclusivity for selling the generic version of Provigil. And since the brand manufacturer of Provigil (Cephalon) is owned by Teva, they just used the same exact pills for both brand and generic. Your relapse may have been unrelated to your Provigil.

Current Rx:
Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 200mg, and Restoril 30mg

Things I have been prescribed:
Lexapro (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine), Wellbutrin SR/XL (bupropion), Eskalith CR (lithium), Topamax (topiramate), Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam), Tranxene (clorazepate), Ambien (zolpidem), Restoril (temazepam), Rozerem (ramelteon), Desyrel (trazodone), Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderall (amphetamine salts), Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), Inderal (propranolol), Lopressor (metoprolol), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Depakote (divalproex), Geodon (ziprasidone), Sinequan (doxepin), Somnote (chloral hydrate), ProSom (estazolam)

#25 Serpens

Serpens

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

tpol, if your generic Provigil pills said "Provigil" on them, they were probably from Teva and were actually the same exact pills as the brand Provigil. I think the first approved generic Provigil manufacturer (Teva) had a 6-month exclusivity for selling the generic version of Provigil. And since the brand manufacturer of Provigil (Cephalon) is owned by Teva, they just used the same exact pills for both brand and generic. Your relapse may have been unrelated to your Provigil.

This is correct. Actually Teva purchased Cephalon outright, the pills Teva distributed under the generic name with the brand name stamp are brand name pills from the same production chain.

#26 LisaBethHarold

LisaBethHarold

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm also really drowsey all the time. I just lost a job of 6 1/2 years. I felt like everything was slipping through my fingers. I was having trouble prioritizing. I decided to go back to school and I'm still exhausted. I've reduced medications that tend to have drowsiness as a side effect but it isn't working. I was thinking about it and typed the question "is generic Provigil as good as the real thing" and this site came up. It sounds like lots of people are having trouble with the generic.

#27 TJefferson

TJefferson

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Paxil 20mg, Provigil 100mg, Xanax 0.5

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

I haven't detected a difference. I was on Provigil for a while until I had to stop during pregnancy. Just restarted with the generic, and it is exactly what I remember. YMMV, of course, but it is worth a shot. And it is so much cheaper, for me at least.

#28 MotherHen

MotherHen

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Narcolepsy Ehlers-Danlos-hypermobility type
  • Current Meds:Provigil Savella beta blocker

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Just found this thread as I am trying to help a daughter ( narcolepsy and Ehlers Danlos) who relies on Provigil to get through the day, and has found her generic not working. The last refill of generic was a differently shaped pill, though the number on the pill still identifies it as modafinil. Her doctor advised her to call Walgreens and ask them what manufacturer they were using and to stop sending her those generics. Walgreens basically said they dispense what they get and they were unable to address her concern. They told her to send in a new script if he wanted to get the brand name, and pay for it.

There is no question that whatever generic they supplied to her this month is not working.

#29 Ruth

Ruth

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:MS
  • Current Meds:Privigi and rebiff

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

I googled generic provigil and i am so glad I found this blog, I started the generic two weeks ago and there is definitely a difference, so happy to hear it is not just me. I have MS and the provigil has helped me to continue working and make the long drove to work without falling asleep. Now with the generic it is all i can do to stay awake at work, and the drive has become very difficult again. Even the substance of the pill is different,  I took 100mg in the am and 100 mg in the afternoon by cutting the pill in half it cut clean and was somewhat hard. The generic is semi soft, crumbly and starts to melt in my mouth before swallowing. Something is not right with the modifinal?  I agree with the previous post that I think we have a scam... 

#30 davids36

davids36

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Generic provigil, modalert, etc are the same.  I buy generic provigil here without a prescription [link removed by moderator] it's cheaper than going to a doctor and more convenient and it works just as well as the name brand did for me when I used to buy it at my local pharmacy.

Edited by martasi2, 07 November 2013 - 01:45 PM.
link not allowed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog