Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Going From Pristiq To Viibryd

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Viibryd, Abilify, lamotrigine, levothyroxine

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Has anyone had the experience of going off Pristiq quickly and straight on to Viibryd? How was the transition for you?
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg
Protonix 40mg qam for GERD

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 OnceARunner

OnceARunner

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Prozac 30 mg Clomipramine 150 mg, Risperadal .75mg Ativan 1 mg PRN Metformin 1000mg

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

How's the transition going? Viibryd is a drug I've talked to my pdoc about.
I tried Pristiq briefly but couldn't tolerate it.

#3 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

How's the transition going? Viibryd is a drug I've talked to my pdoc about.
I tried Pristiq briefly but couldn't tolerate it.

I think I am liking the Viibryd, even tho I am definitely still in the transition. Pristiq has me in its clutches. When I went off it completely it was too fast and my head was sloshy and dizzy. So now I am back on 25mg Pristiq/10mg Viibryd. (10mg is starter dose) Next I will go to every other day on the Pristiq and see how it goes. What I like already is the extra energy and motivation to do things that is coming on. My previous cocktail had me very flat, neither happy nor sad nor motivated. I know AD's can do that, but I thought it time to try something new and Pdoc suggested Viibryd. I am seldom having nausea, but can tell my appetite is down. I gained a few with my last combo, so I would love to think I could lose some now. We can always hope.
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#4 OnceARunner

OnceARunner

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Prozac 30 mg Clomipramine 150 mg, Risperadal .75mg Ativan 1 mg PRN Metformin 1000mg

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the update. Hope it goes well. I'm going to push my pdoc to let me trial it.
I need to get off Abilify before I need to buy new clothes!

#5 gingersnap6

gingersnap6

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Pristiq

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

This is exactly what I'm about to ask my doctor for--to switch from Pristiq to Viibryd. Any more feedback on your progress? I've already weaned myself down to 2 Pristiq pills a week, but I'm nervous about stopping it altogether.

#6 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is exactly what I'm about to ask my doctor for--to switch from Pristiq to Viibryd. Any more feedback on your progress? I've already weaned myself down to 2 Pristiq pills a week, but I'm nervous about stopping it altogether.

I started Viibryd 10mg before the pristiq was all gone and took 25mg, then cut that in half for a few days before I went on up to 20mg. It really was not bad changing over, although I went down too fast at first and had to restart Pristiq at a low dose and ride it out longer. Just took a little patience, which is not always my strong point! Now I am on the odd dose of 30mg because 20mg was not enough (I was irritable, negative, unhappy). I went for a month alternating 20mg one day, 40mg the next (pdoc dosing) and when that went ok, my pdoc put me on 30mg. He really didn't want me at 40mg because I am also on Abilify.

I really like Viibryd now that the transition is over and it has had time to work. I feel much more positive, have interest and energy to do things around the house, things like cooking and cleaning that I have not wanted to do in a long time. It is easier to get myself out of the house also.

Maybe your pdoc would let you go ahead and start it with a reduced dose of your pristiq still on board. I know Pristiq says not to cut it, but I did anyway for reducing my dose since so many people on here do it that way and seem to have no problems. That way you will have a smaller dose every day instead of a larger dose every few days. It's something for you to consider. That method certainly worked well for me.

If you try it, let us know how it goes. Good luck.
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#7 fairymonkey

fairymonkey

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Migraines, Severe Memory Loss
  • Current Meds:Adderall 10mg,Valium 10mg, Klonopin .5 mg ,Melatonin 1.5, Rozeram 8,Atarax 50, Maxalt, Celebrex

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

I've only been on effexor for a few days now (similar to pristiq) and I have a trial of viibryd (and extremely scared to start taking it). I have IBS and GERD and a very sensitive stomach. Does anyone out there have IBS and went on viibryd and experienced a lot of diarrhea?
My actual diagnosis: It's still a debate. Psychologists can't seem to diagnose me. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder w/ Depression and anxiety. co-dependency issues.
Past meds: Effexor, Lexapro, Fluoxetine , Bupropion XL ,Klonopin, Ativan, Nortriptyline ,Remeron
Supplements: Melatonin
Diet: Strictly Vegetarian

“Sometimes fate is like a small sand-storm that keeps changing directions. You change direction, but the sand-storm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before death. Why? Because this storm isn't something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you.”
Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

#8 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I thought I would update my experience because of my odd Viibryd response. I was on alternating days of 20mg and 40mg for a month, then started taking 30mg. It didn't work the same. I felt much better alternating 20 and 40mgs. Then my headaches started returning, that had gone away when I started Abilify. So I went back to 20/40mg dosing and upped Abilify to 10mg (which had made me sleepy before, but not this time.) Now my headaches are gone again, plus I feel more energy again. Of course, I didn't do all this dose tweeking; my pdoc did.
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#9 PhoenixRising

PhoenixRising

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:chronic depression, mild ultra rapid cycling bipolar
  • Current Meds:viibryd, lamictal, diazapam

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

My doc titrated me off Pristiq while titrating me on Viibryd. It worked well for me but then turned awful.
For the first month, Viibryd was my miracle drug.... same as the Pristiq was in the beginning.
Good lawd, I just realized I talk about my crazy pills like my friends talk about their crazy series of boyfriends...

I've been on Viibryd for about 10 weeks. The side effects are piling up on me and I've got an appointment set up Thursday to kick Viibryd to the curb.

Gastric issues. The Med Wiki saying the effect is like drinking a glass of Tijuana tap water is no exaggeration. I am a mother. I have worked in places with awful smelling trash bins or body odors. I can handle a lot. I can tell you that the stench of my own potty trips made me gag. The stench was so powerfully 'chemical' that my eyes and throat and poor butthole would burn. This is a daily occurrence, often multiple times a day. A half dozen times recently, I've have been relegated to the toilet for excruitiatingly painful 30+ minute spells of diarrhea, the butthole burning types. I was crying as described it to my husband in the only way I know how -- my butthole was having a dry heaving spell at the end of the episode. It's like my GI system contains molten lava now. From an artistic aspect, the palate is amazing. I don't believe I saw this many colors in poo even during my own daughter's childhood. And as an added bonus, sometimes it's been difficult to distinguish between the passing of gas or the needing to poo, and has resulted in the dreaded shart *hangs in head in shame*

General .... weirdness.... in my tummy. Random severe bouts of acid reflux that last a night and don't reappear. (I had GERD years and years ago.) My sodas have started tasting funny... a little more acidic.... (I remember this was a side effect of topomax, which I did NOT do well on).... My stomach feels bloated often, but II'm blowing through everything that enters my tummy! And I know that I AM eating more, because that is often how I would hold off nausea in my lifetime. Eating more and poo'ing it all back out in the most painful manner has contributed to my last 10 lbs of weight gain.

GOOD TO KNOW: Kids chewable Pepto tabs saved me during a two day meeting for work out of town.Intentional constipation was the only viable work around.

Exhaustion. Who hasn't been exhausted? Who isn't tired? I have gone through my "normal" spells. I went through my "I can't get enough of this guy I'm dating" exhaustion spells. I've been through my "something ain't working right, my life is normal and I'm exhausted" spells. What's helped me? 5 Hour Energy drinks. I drink them occasionally and they work. They don’t' even TOUCH the exhaustion I have after 10 weeks on Viibryd. I'm drinking Gatorade daily (The G2... the performance enhancer one... to energize) but really that's because it seems to help me able to have a less volatile poo than to have energy. Does help to stabilize my swimmy head though! Anyhow, nothing is helping the exhaustion I'm having now. Just nothing. Last weekend, the hubby took care of the kids and I was able to get what I needed.... 2 naps that day, at 3 hours a piece, after waking at 9am and going to bed at 10pm. The next day, my energy levels felt right.

I have to go pee all the time.... sometimes. On any given day, you'd think I was dehydrated. Another day, you'd think I was drinking water by the gallons. Both times... same level of liquid intake.

Headaches: more frequent now. All the time. I've got the imitrex I've relied on for years.... and it won't touch these buggers. I have about 4 migraines a year. I haven't had a migraine free day in the past two weeks now. The pain level rolls up and down all day.

Crazy dreams? Yup. Can't remember not having wicked, wild, stressful, intense, unwanted dreams since I started with "The Meds" in 2009. Comes with the territory.

To the person with the IBS question.... just my personal opinion, I'd stay away. Maybe it wouldn't bother your gastric system but it's trying to cause a science-fair blue ribbon project with mine over here.

To those wanting info on the Pritstiq - to - Viibryd switch: it was a cinch for me. I lowered the dose of the Q and upped the doses of the V and all went well. I remember my only question to her was, "Would either of these cause me to have bloody diarrhea occasionally???" and she blamed it on the Pristiq withdrawal. Ummm, kinda doubting that was the case now.

FYI on Me (since this is my first post and I'm not sure what profile info shows)
` treatment resistant depression
` bi-polar.... rapid cycler.... "mild" manias, ghastly depressions

` viibryd (for another couple days, till I tell her to titrate me OFF this mess)
` lamictal (bi-p)
` blood pressure med (hi pristiq! -- side effect)
` imitrex for migraines, albuterol for asthma, valium for panic and sleeping

Current meds:
Viibryd 40mg
Lamotrigine 200 mg, twice daily
Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/25mg
Claritin 10mg
Jolessa
diazapam 5mg

Previous meds.:
Protonix (GERD)
trazadone - left me groggy
Wellbutrin - no effect
Topomax - allergic reaction
Chantix - help me not wanna smoke? yes. Plunge me into a major suicidical episode? yes.
Abilify - allergic reaction
Geodon - extreme allergic reaction, two week recovery
Pristiq - went well for more than a year, seemed to fizzle out

#10 Domesticdiva

Domesticdiva

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:He has not told me that! Eating disorder, OCD?
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin 1/2 of 75mg, 20mg Viibryd, 50mg Pristiq

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I weaned off of 100 mg of Pristiq while starting 20 mg of Viibryd and 75 mg of Wellbutrin.
I then went 50 pristiq and same as above, ok, not great. a tough five days or so of feeling vertigo and just not here.
Then 25 mg of pristiq and 40mg of Viibryd same 75mg of Wellbutrin. I was going through withdrawal after 11 hours or so of taking
the pristiq at 25 mg. I felt fluey, shakey and barfy. It was like I imagine getting off of heroin.
No thanks, lets just get this over with. SO, I went cold turkey of the Pristiq. (with my docs ok) No brain zaps, nothing, apart from 4 days of
feeling vertigo and wooshing in my head. I am now clear of that awful drug and having no issue with Viibryd. I suffer from inflammation
and a very sensitive digestive system which I am always constipated. So the looser bowels are welcome!! I have lost weight but I am
also in recover for food addiction and in Food addicts in recovery.org. So I know that because I am weighing and measuring my food,
its not substantial weight loss from the meds. I am 110 pounds currently. I was really worried about the food cravings coming off trying to replace
the seratonin and I had some bad food days. I was driven by the devil to get the flour and sugar in my body, but it has past....
Now I wait till the flour and sugar withdrawal subside and see how I really feel being off the Pristiq. I am currently puffy and inflamed
but its only been 3 days since I ate sugar. Will keep people posted. So far, so good. OH, and I dont know if Pristiq was the same as cymbalta (which I was on first) but the lower back pain I have from mild, closed spina bifida is brutal. Could be inflammation from the sugar. Time will tell.
DD
I feel optimistic!! I just wish it was not so costly (the Viibryd)

Edited by Domesticdiva, 02 November 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#11 IGOT SCRIPTS

IGOT SCRIPTS

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:see sig.
  • Current Meds:see sig.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I have tried so many crazy meds. and different cocktails it would be too long of a list to post. However, I stopped Pristiq cold turkey do to extreme rise in BP. Switched to Viibryd within a couple days off Pristiq. Had no major problems doing this. Viibryd did cause some G.I. issues for a few days but nothing serious. Been on Viibryd for 7 weeks. Began with starter kit and titrated up to 40mg daily. Have not seen any major improvements but am going to stick it out for a few more weeks with hope that it just takes a little longer to provide positive results. Hope this helps.

DX: BP II rapid cycling, mdd, gad, ptsd, trd, add non-hyperactive

RX: current cocktail: welbutrin SR 200mg am/pm, lexapro 10mg, trileptal 150mg am/pm, levothyroxine 50mcg, ritalin 20mg x 3, klonopin 2mg am 2mg prn, abilify 10mg, ativan 1mg pm. non-crazy meds. : ziac, pravastatin, lyrica, famotidine, nasonex, metrogel, dovonex.

tried & failed (either side effects or ineffective): depakote, lithium, saphris, risperidone, effexor, prozac, paxil, cymbalta, citalapram, lamictal, remeron, doxepin, zoloft, vistaril, trazadone, topomax, xanax, pristiq, viibryd, luvox, valium, tramadol, gabapentin.

#12 longterm

longterm

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

I am considering trying Pristiq because I had success with Effexor in the past for a long time.  I went off Effexor looking for something with no sex side effects.  Gained 20+ pounds on Lexapro, which dropped off easily when I quit taking it.  Tried Luvox, which had worked a little in the past, and had the welcome side effect of controlling my benign essential tremor (hand tremor).  Became severely depressed as if I was taking nothing.  Pretty much everything I've ever taken has worked for me except the luvox, I just occasionally switch around depending on what side effects I'm getting tired of. Went to Viibryd because of libido issues supposedly being better on it, plus it gets you more serotonin more quickly than anything else and I was way down in the non-functioning place.  I took Viibryd for 2 years and it worked quite well, and I had a libido for the first time since college.  I had to go on Viibryd VERY slowly because of the side effects--they were extreme.  Headaches and sleepiness, but it did work well and now I'm unaware of specific side effects, I just wonder if something else might work better, I wonder if viibryd might make me more anxious, and I hate that if I forget to take it even one night, already the next day I have to force myself out of bed because the half-life seems so short.  On effexor, and numerous others i've taken, if I forgot one day, or even 2, it wasn't so bad.  3 days was always the day I started feeling spacey.  I'm going through a divorce, so right now having zero libido would be welcome under my circumstances, and I'm thinking of Pristiq instead of Effexor because my pdoc said it also often helps pre-menopausal women with hot flashes. 

I'm open to suggestions!  Also, I know it may not make sense to switch anything right now, which is what i decided yesterday at the doc office, but then last night forgot my viibryd and woke up feeling awful, which sent me to the computer to spend/waste time comparing various side effects of 5 different anti-depressants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog