Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Anxiety And Racing Thoughts During Pms

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 faith_tx

faith_tx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, GAD, Panic disorder
  • Current Meds:Citalopram, Clonazepam

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

I take 15mg of Citalopram (yes I do some creative cutting) and 1/2 of a .5 Clonazepam a day. For a week before my cycle I've been taking an extra 1/4 or 1/2 of a Clonazepam. It seems to help, but then I seem to get tired and sort of in a "blue" mood.

I have taken Citalopram for about 2 years and a few months ago I did a trial on Lexapro and then Luvox, and then went back to Citalopram. I seem more tired on it than the others, but the Lexapro made me angry, and the Luvox made my obsessive thoughts worse.

So, my PNurse now has suggested instead of just increasing the Clonazepam during that week, instead I should try going up on the Citalopram for a week a month.

Lately I get tired, so then I have a Dr Pepper, which after a few days builds up to more anxiety, then I crash for a couple days after and have to wean off the caffeine (only drink one a day). My system is so incredibly sensitive.

Anyway I guess the question is, is it likely to make me more tired compared to the Clonazepam? Anyone have experience with going up and down on it like that? I know I'm on a very low dose. In fact, my PNurse seems to think that if I tried counseling (again) with the "right" therapist, I could possibly get off my medication.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by faith_tx, 19 March 2012 - 03:14 PM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 VirginiaWolf

VirginiaWolf

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depression, major anxiety, panic attacks
  • Current Meds:escitalopram oxalate (lexapro) 10mg am, 5mg pm. Temazepam 10 mg pm.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

I can't directly answer your question about citalopram versus clonazepam, but I can contribute. I'm on escitalopram 10mg am/5mg pm and recently added Temazepam 10mg pm to that.

Escitalopram has made me feel more like myself and much less drowsy than I have on any other meds. It stops me from falling down the black hole, which is the important thing, and yeah, I'm angry, but I was angry off it too. I address the issues/anger via social/behavioral therapy rather than the drugs.

When I started going on escitalopram, it took me a while to get over the initial drowsiness and headaches. I eliminated the side effects by taking it at exactly the same time every day, and by splitting up the dosage by taking 10mg in the am and 5mg in the pm. Too much at night made me feel drowsy during the day. Too much in the morning did the same thing.

Relating to clonazepam. I find that any of the azepams make me drowsy, but I've just started taking 10 mg of the good old Temazepam at night. It wears off fast and I don't feel as drowsy when I wake up (compared to some other azepams).

Drinking high caffeine drinks to stay alert drained me so much that I crashed, got drowsy and got the blues. Not worth it.

Shrinks are important. I've learned that meds can only do so much, and sometimes switching them can make things worse. Social therapy really helps, but I have to be compliant or it doesn't work.

Am still looking for ways to address PMS. I've recently been looking into light therapy and sleep routines to improve my mood alongside the drugs.

I hope some part of this helps.

Edited by VirginiaWolf, 20 March 2012 - 05:42 PM.

Virginia Wolf Howls

#3 faith_tx

faith_tx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Thanks. That helps a lot. This month I didn't go up on Klonopin or Celexa and I did pretty well. I still feel like I worry all the time about stupid stuff. My 12 year old mentioned it yesterday. I don't know if that just means I need more counseling or medication. I want to be a better role model and be more at peace.

#4 dolly

dolly

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Diagnoses:PD,GAD,OCD
  • Current Meds:Buspirone 15mg, Alprazolam or Lorazepam 1mg PRN, Zolpidem 12.5mg PRN

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi faith, my Dr. put me on the pill for PMS (Yasmin). It really helped even out my mood swings. On PMS week all I would do is cry at my desk and hate on everyone, it was terrible. I've been on it since 2006.

hugs, dolly
Dolly
Dx: Severe PD, GAD, OCD; depression that comes and goes
Currently prescribed Buspirone 7.5mg 2X/day, Alprazolam 1mg, Zolpidem controlled release 12.5mg; also on Yasmin BCP for PMDD.
Past meds: Venlafaxine 150mg, Citalopram 30mg, Duloxetine 60mg, Escitalopram 10mg, Paroxetine 20mg, Sertraline 100mg Lorazepam 2mg, Klonazepam 1mg, Temazepam 30mg.
18 years on and off meds for brain cooties... this is getting old

#5 faith_tx

faith_tx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

I tried the pill. I'm 45 so maybe it's different. But, I gained 20 lbs and was so lethargic I could hardly get up off the couch. And I'm normally thin. (5'6" 127). It also made me have heartburn. I took it for years before babies. Just doesn't any more.

#6 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

I get a lot of anxiety that week of the month, too. My gyno prescribed 20mg prozac to take on top of my other meds just for that week. I've only done it one month so far but it was a notable improvement. I can see how upping the celexa for a week could be similar.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

#7 betty_box

betty_box

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Diagnoses:Panic and Anxiety, OCD, Cyclical Major Depression, Chronic Insomnia, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Amitriptyline 80mg, Ambien 10mg, Imitrex 50mg, Metoclopramide 5 mg

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Celexa and Lexapro are GREAT for hormonally induced anxiety and depression. I'm not exactly sure why it's better than other SSRIs, but it definitely is. Maybe it acts faster? That said, if you're already tired upping the dose might make you feel sedated (although I was on it for 4 years and never had that problem--but them again I can take 10mgs of Ativan or 40mgs valium in one sitting and feel aces (don't do either of those things, btw). That said, if you're already tired from such a low dose of the clonazepam (Klonopin--you're my girl), the Celexa is probably preferable.

I'm surprised you still get drowsiness from the benzos after being on them regularly though, and at such a low dose. Have you thought about switching your benzo? Clonazepam is definitely more sedating than, for example, Ativan or Xanax. Xanax is particularly mild, in my experience.

-Betty
Previous meds: Ativan, Celexa, Doxepin,Hydroxizine (worthless) Lexapro, Klonopin, Neurontin, Topamax, Trazodone, Terazosin, Valium (does this actually work for ANYONE? Seriously.), Xanax, Zoloft.

#8 faith_tx

faith_tx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

I've been on Xanax in the past but it made me feel too much up and down like a roller coaster. I could try ativan I guess. It might not even be the meds. My thoughts racing sometimes make me tired too! It's hard to tell sometimes what causes what. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog