Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Insomnia (4-5 Days W/o Sleep)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 RileyBell

RileyBell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:Panic Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, Severe Insomnia
  • Current Meds:Xanax 1mg, Xanax XR 4mg, Neurontin 2400mg, Seroquel 300mg, Ambien 10mg

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

To begin, I want to be clear that when I say I have insomnia, I don't mean that falling asleep is 'difficult' or that I wake up often during the night and have to fall back to sleep. What I mean is that to sleep AT ALL is a struggle. It's a battle every single night. I can't even fathom how amazing it would be to go to bed the same time as my husband and actually fall asleep next to him.

When I tell my doctors, they almost laugh a bit and tell me, 'When your brain gets tired enough, it's GOING to fall asleep. That's simply how our brains work.'
I try to explain that I can go 4-5 days/nights without sleep, but I get the sense that they just don't believe me. I'm not saying it's always that way. But when it's at it's worst, that's how it is. When it's at it's best, I takes me 4-8 hours to fall asleep (thankfully I work from home. But that is changing soon. If I can't get this under control... I don't know what I'll do.)

I have good sleep hygiene. I've taken all the 'natural' things like melatonin, etc (which will work for about one day and then my brain already has a tolerance for about the next year).

I get extremely tired, but fail to ever feel sleepy.
The only way I am currently able to sleep at ALL is because of Seroquel. But because it causes severe panic on totally random nights, I have to continue to take a higher dose of xanex (as a preventative sort of thing. The panic is the worst I've ever felt in my life when Seroquel randomly causes it) than I or my doctor would like for me to take.

My pDoc seems frustrated with trying to fix anything after all these years and just keeps refilling the exact same meds I'm on unless I know exactly what to ask for.

So I'm begging you guys for some suggestions...

The Ambien I take only calms racing thoughts. It doesn't make me tired. The Nuerontin doesn't cause sleepiness either. And of course the Xanex hasn't made me sleepy since the first year I was on it.

I just want some sort of medication that I can count on to put make me sleepy.
I don't tolerate SSRIs very well. And tricyclics are a hit and miss on whether I can tolerate them. Most other medications I can do alright with.
I live by two mottos:

Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

and

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

What about an anti-histamine? Ever tried taking benadryl or gravol? Knocks me right out.
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#3 RileyBell

RileyBell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Current Meds:Xanax 1mg, Xanax XR 4mg, Neurontin 2400mg, Seroquel 300mg, Ambien 10mg

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Tried anti-histamines, hydroxyzine, 5-htp, melatonin, GABA, (whatever that stuff is that it's turkeys), hops,....... pretty much everything that's ever been available over the counter. I'm thinking there's got to be an atypical anti-psychotic (or just aaaaanything!) that knocks ya off your feet. That's the kind of intensity it feels like I need.

I've done the meditation, the refraining from naps, every wives tale treatment that's been thrown at me. I swear I feel like the collective knowledge of this forum is my last hope!
I live by two mottos:

and

#4 Rockie

Rockie

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, panic, agoraphobia, bipolar features, IBS
  • Current Meds:Valium 5 mg QD and 5mg PRN, Calcium and Magnesium Supplements

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

You're on a pretty healthy dosage of Xanax, and it sounds like you've been taking it for a while. How long has this been going on? When and how much are you taking, and is your anxiety under control during the day?

If you've developed physical dependence and tolerance to your current dosage, varying the frequency and amount you're taking, which it sounds like you are, can easily cause backlash anxiety manifesting in the symptoms you're describing. This could also explain the panic attacks you're experiencing on Seroquel (i.e. Seroquel is knocking you out, but withdrawal is waking you up with a panic attack).

Med suggestions are difficult if the above is the case. I'll wait for your reply before making any recommendations.

Previous Meds
AD's: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox, Celexa, Cymbalta, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Emsam, Imipramine, Nortriptyline,Trazodone, Viibryd, Nefazadone
AED's: Topomax, Trileptal, Klonopin, Ativan, Lamictal, Oxazepam, Triazolam
AP/AAP's: Seroquel
Other: Buspar, Ambien, Nadolol, Propranolol, Pramipexole, Hydroxyzine

"The pink ones keep you from screaming".
- Grandpa Simpson

#5 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Tried anti-histamines, hydroxyzine, 5-htp, melatonin, GABA, (whatever that stuff is that it's turkeys), hops,....... pretty much everything that's ever been available over the counter. I'm thinking there's got to be an atypical anti-psychotic (or just aaaaanything!) that knocks ya off your feet. That's the kind of intensity it feels like I need.

I've done the meditation, the refraining from naps, every wives tale treatment that's been thrown at me. I swear I feel like the collective knowledge of this forum is my last hope!

Geodon knocked me out. Like, I would fall asleep in the middle of sentences, while eating dinner at the dinner table, everywhere. People thought I was on heroin it was so bad. But, people react differently to drugs, and some people don't find Geodon sedating at all!

By the way, have you had a proper physical exam and blood work to rule out any medical conditions?

Edited by metatrix, 17 March 2012 - 06:06 PM.

Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#6 RileyBell

RileyBell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yes, blood work is all normal. I haven't done a sleep study yet mostly because the thought of sleeping in a lab freaks me out. But the regular kind of check-ups have gone fine. I've also been avoiding a brain scan because... well because I'm bat-shit crazy (as in, there is no good reason, I am just avoiding it like the plague)

Yes, while my dosage of xanex can be viewed as high, it's a lot lower than it used to be. Right after my PTSD started, doctors somehow saw it fit to put me on 8mg Xanex and 8mg Xanex XR, every day, for years and years on end. About two years ago I found another doctor who was willing to slowly bring me down. Withdrawls have been hell. But seeing as the 1mg of regular Xanex is as needed for anxiety (which only seems to be when Seroquel acts up, which will either hit EXACTLY 25 minutes after ingestion or not at all. [leaving me to take 75mg or so, wait and see if it's giving me anxiety or making me sleepy... if neither, another 75mg and so on until I'm sleepy {that way if I get the panic reaction from the Seroquel, it's the most mild possible. Because, say I go ahead and take 300mg and that's a night I'm going to panic from it... well in that case the panic is going to be so severe, it'll land me in the ER}. I know that sounds weird, but it's exactly how it happens. My pDoc hasn't taken the time to listen to my full explanation or understand it). And the Xanex XR is being taken 2mg morning and 2mg at night.
Between the Xanex XR (which I feel I'm ready to go down to 1mg morning and night) and the Gabapentin, it's fairly rare I get anxiety (and when I do, I can calm myself down and distract myself to get through it without medication) and it's almost never that I get a panic attacks separate from 25 minutes after taking Seroquel (I would never take it again if it weren't for the fact that 85% of the time, or so, it helps me sleep and without it, as I said, I will seriously go days without sleep!)
Hope that gives the info so I can get some guidance! :-)
I live by two mottos:

and

#7 RileyBell

RileyBell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

BTW, has anyone used Thorazine for sleep? I've had to use them for 18hr+ hiccups and slept amazingly well on it the two nights I was able to use it.
I live by two mottos:

and

#8 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 653 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, Cymbalta

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

When I tell my doctors, they almost laugh a bit and tell me, 'When your brain gets tired enough, it's GOING to fall asleep. That's simply how our brains work.'

I have had exactly that conversation with more pdocs than I care to remember. It got to the point where I started wanting to yell "No, you fuckwit, that's how your brain works. I have bipolar disorder-my brain does something else!" Considering how badly not sleeping messes up the rest of your life, it's astonishing to me how lightly a lot of doctors treat it.

Have you tried taking less Seroquel? If you aren't taking it as an anti-psychotic, you may be taking too much to get the best of the drowsiness effect.

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,  60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3,

Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#9 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Agree that Geodon is extremely sedating but very unpredictable. I fell asleep standing up taking it. And I couldn't wake up taking it. Really messed with sleep stages, too.

Ever try depakote or zyprexa for sleep?

Haldol could be an option, too, or the thorazine that you know worked.

Current Meds:  Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#10 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Agree that Geodon is extremely sedating but very unpredictable. I fell asleep standing up taking it. And I couldn't wake up taking it. Really messed with sleep stages, too.

Ever try depakote or zyprexa for sleep?

Haldol could be an option, too, or the thorazine that you know worked.

Heh, speaking of unpredictable reactions, I'm getting insomnia on depakote. Which is really weird, given that I find practically every drug in the world to be sedating. I'm just a generally sleepy person. But I have trouble falling asleep on depakote, and I wake up in the middle of the night, totally alert. What the hell?

#11 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

That is really weird. Different strokes I guess.

Former meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#12 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Right after my PTSD started, doctors somehow saw it fit to put me on 8mg Xanex and 8mg Xanex XR, every day, for years and years on end. About two years ago I found another doctor who was willing to slowly bring me down. Withdrawls have been hell.

You might need some other answer, like PTSD therapy or a therapy technique (EMT, hypnosis, etc.) that helps relax your body. Your muscles are probably too tense and that makes it hard to relax enough to sleep. You also might want to ask your PDoc to take you off Xanax entirely and, while you're doing that, try a longer-acting benzo that won't trigger so much rebound anxiety. Seroquel also has a paradoxical reaction in some people that makes them more revved up and agitated. I'm not saying this is the case with you, it's just something to factor in.

#13 RileyBell

RileyBell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

First, I just have to say thank you so much to everybody! I've never found a more helpful bunch. My friends swear my chamomile tea and don't understand why that doesn't work.

So I'm in bio-feedback therapy, which, of all the things I've tried over the years (you name it, I'd tried it, from the major types of counseling, to really strange ones, to hypnosis, etc), has been massively helpful.

When you say a longer acting benzo, martasi2, is there a longer acting one than Xanex XR? If I could get the sleep thing figured out I'm positive I could end up on only it.

I haven't taken depakote, zyprexa, or Haldol for sleep. I'm insanely good at (and have always made a habit of) acting like I'm very high functioning during my pDoc visits. I kind of feel like she'd laugh at me for even mentioning those meds. But I'm definitely going to do it. Ahh, even imagining bringing that up makes me feel really nervous. I'll just stop by the forums ahead of time to remind myself how un-alone I am.

I'll try to make a habit of taking a lower dose of seroquel and giving myself longer than just the 30 minutes I normally give myself to see if it's going to work before taking another dose. We'll see if that does effect things at all.
I live by two mottos:

and

#14 Rockie

Rockie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Safe to say that you've tried the usuals - Remeron, Trazodone? If not, they're worth trying since they have different mechanisms of action for sedation.

I'm also wondering if a combo will work for you for just that reason. When I added Trazodone into my cocktail, I got (and am still getting) hit with a lot of additional sedation. And this on top of the Remeron and gabapentin sedation. I suppose you could also try them in addition to the Seroquel, though it might be better if you can phase that out due to the high dosage you're requiring for sleep (not to mention the weird panic reaction).

Previous Meds
AD's: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox, Celexa, Cymbalta, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Emsam, Imipramine, Nortriptyline,Trazodone, Viibryd, Nefazadone

- Grandpa Simpson

#15 RileyBell

RileyBell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

So I do I go in and ask for Remeron (haven't tried that), Trazodone (don't remember if I've tried that)? Or do I ask for major sedatives like depakote, zyprexa, or Haldol? I somehow just don't trust going in and asking my doctor to figure something out..... :-/
I live by two mottos:

and

#16 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

So I do I go in and ask for Remeron (haven't tried that), Trazodone (don't remember if I've tried that)? Or do I ask for major sedatives like depakote, zyprexa, or Haldol? I somehow just don't trust going in and asking my doctor to figure something out..... :-/

I wouldn't call depakote or zyprexa major sedatives. My guess is that trazodone and remeron would be more sedating than depakote or the atypical antipsychotics. Although I haven't been on trazodone or remeron, so I'm not sure.

p.s. I'm awake at 4 AM on depakote again. wheeee.

Edited by metatrix, 18 March 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#17 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 653 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, Cymbalta

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

I've taken depakote and geodon...Geodon was the absolute worst drug I've ever taken in terms of sedation, but ti didn't work as a sleep med because there was no rhyme or reason to when it would make me fall asleep. Like Nurse, I could fall asleep standing up, or at stop signs, but still be unable to go to sleep at bedtime, and then in the morning be unable to wake up and end up staying in bed for 14 hours semi-concious. Depakote made me feel sort of drained, but not sleepy, exactly.

I've tried amitriptyline, Klonopin, Ativan, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Sonata and temazepam for sleep. The only thing that works is Ambien CR 12.5 mgs, 75 mgs of Seroquel IR, and I take my Seroquel XR and topiramate at bedtime too, so they're probably playing a role as well.

Good luck to you. Insomnia is horrible and dangerous. I hope you get it dealt with soon.

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,  60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3,

Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#18 Rockie

Rockie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'd try low dosages of Remeron and Trazodone first, since they tend to have fewer side effects (besides sedation). Remeron below 15mg is pretty much just a super powerful antihistamine, similar to Seroquel at low dosages. Trazodone at low dosages (say 25 - 150mg) works in a different way - antagonizing H1, alpha 1, and 5-HT2a - to achieve sedation.

I'd try Remeron first, starting at 7.5mg up to 15mg, assuming Seroquel doesn't work out. If that doesn't do it, I'd try Trazodone starting at 50mg up to 150mg. If you're still not sleeping, I'd try both at the same time. BTW, the sedating action of the two together is not very different from Seroquel at 300mg. Also, since they're both anxiolytics, you may get some anxiety relief as a side benefit.

Edit: Just wanted to add that between your sleep situation not being taken seriously and not trusting your pdoc to properly handle it (with meds), I'd be shopping for a new pdoc.

Edited by Rockie, 18 March 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Previous Meds

- Grandpa Simpson

#19 Tryn

Tryn

• Enabler
  • 390 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

If you don't remember whether or not you've tried Trazodone I'd go with that first. You'll be able to tell within a few nights if it's going to work for you so you can have a backup plan (or prescription) in place in case it doesn't work. Remeron is a very good one to try as well.

I am also concerned that you don't trust your pdoc to be able to help you get through this. Maybe it is time to start quietly looking for a new pdoc, or to talk to your pdoc about your concerns that he/she is not taking your insomnia issues seriously enough. Insomnia is a very serious issue as it can complicate and exacerbate MI not to mention the fact that you can become drowsy or fall asleep at dangerous and inappropriate times.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#20 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Trazodone worked for me at a time in my life around '94 when nothing else was working and I'd had insomnia since early childhood however, there are times when it would termporarily stop working. I went on Saphris in August...it's not something I'd run to for sleep problems as it's really hitting hard with an AAP but if nothing else works, it might work for you. Gives me some of the best sleep I've ever had without waking up feeling groggy or sedated though occasionally, I don't sleep that long on it. I take it for other reasons though so again, I wouldn't run to it unless all else fails and I think Zyprexa (which was also very sedating for me) is probably cheaper.

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

#21 RileyBell

RileyBell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

I realize now that I did take Remeron for a while (remembered it under the name Mirtazapine). It did work amazingly well for sleep. But made my hunger insatiable!!! I would be starving every 30min to an hour. I gained 50 pounds in 4 months! I was on a very low dose. And I'm not gonna sit here and whine about insomnia but be vain. It's not vanity, it was that the weight gain's end was nowhere in sight! So I'm pretty sure that's a no go.

I'll do a lot to research/look into all the meds you guys suggested and try to have a really serious talk with my pDoc. If she doesn't take is seriously, I'll start looking into someone else. I just have this real fear of ending up with one of those pDocs who are crazy against benzos. And while I will likely be off them (or to a very low dose) within 6 months, having to do a hardcore withdrawal isn't something I can handle right now.
I live by two mottos:

and

#22 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Not all doctors will do it but see if it's possible to have a brief discussion with one before seeing him/her to get an idea of their opinion of your desire for a gradual withdrawal. If not, you can keep your pdoc while you look for another.

As to sleep studies....I barely slept for mine, it really is difficult if you have severe insomnia to sleep during a sleep study but even if you don't sleep...it's going to track what's going on in your head while you're trying to sleep and it might be helpful for a doctor who actualy knows about different sleep disorders.

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

#23 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

I wouldn't call depakote or zyprexa major sedatives. My guess is that trazodone and remeron would be more sedating than depakote or the atypical antipsychotics. Although I haven't been on trazodone or remeron, so I'm not sure.

p.s. I'm awake at 4 AM on depakote again. wheeee.

Any of Depakote, Zyprexa, Trazodone, or Remeron can be very sedating. The last three at any given dose and Depakote increasingly as the dose moves up. Often as a group the typical antipsychotics are referred to as major tranquilizers while benzos are referred to as minor tranquilizers. This is not a very clean or effective description though.

None of these are hypnotics though. Ambien, Temezapam, others, these are hypnotics. Sedatives make you drowsy, but hypnotics make you sleep.

If you are largely one one class of drug like anticonvulsants, using something from another class like seroquel in this example may be reasonable. Or in reverse largely being on APs and AAPs temezapam may be a great sleep med. You just can't count on hitting the same receptors with the same actions and count on it working unless it does.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#24 ci317

ci317

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Diagnoses:Ultradian Rapid Cycling Bipolar, Insomnia, Hypersomnia
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Abilify, Ritalin IR

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Is it possible that you have bipolar disorder? Panic/anxiety/insomnia can all come as symptoms when you're up on the high side. Some mood charting might shine some light on patterns.

#25 facelessbelief

facelessbelief

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1 with Psychotic Features with Rapid Cycling.
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin SR 400mg, Zoloft 200mg, Latuda 160mg, and Abilify 20mg

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Geodon has a sedating ability? Damn, I missed that bus. Instead I have to take Ambien for sleep. But am worried about it long term. My Pdoc actually has helped me address my insomnia. Bipolar disorder does make our brains run differently. Its like theirs run on gasoline, while ours run on nuclear fusion. Or some kind of comparison. (may be a bit strong of a comparison)(But i made it anyways.). Ambien was good for the first three weeks. But is starting to loose its muster I think. Or I am just going into a hypomanic phase. Not really sure what is going on right now. Life has been a little goofy.
Good news. The only scientific ways I know of to spread my brain cooties are for you to become my child.

This is my fight. The disorder may have won a few battles. But I will and have to win the war. For it is a war against the worst kind of enemy..... Myself.

Previous Meds: Lamictal 200mg, Tegretol 200mg, Paxil, Trazodone 200mg, Wellbutrin, Prozac 20mg, Geodon 120mg.

#26 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Geodon has a sedating ability? Damn, I missed that bus. Instead I have to take Ambien for sleep. But am worried about it long term. My Pdoc actually has helped me address my insomnia. Bipolar disorder does make our brains run differently. Its like theirs run on gasoline, while ours run on nuclear fusion. Or some kind of comparison. (may be a bit strong of a comparison)(But i made it anyways.). Ambien was good for the first three weeks. But is starting to loose its muster I think. Or I am just going into a hypomanic phase. Not really sure what is going on right now. Life has been a little goofy.

I realize now that I did take Remeron for a while (remembered it under the name Mirtazapine). It did work amazingly well for sleep. But made my hunger insatiable!!! I would be starving every 30min to an hour. I gained 50 pounds in 4 months! I was on a very low dose. And I'm not gonna sit here and whine about insomnia but be vain. It's not vanity, it was that the weight gain's end was nowhere in sight! So I'm pretty sure that's a no go.

I'll do a lot to research/look into all the meds you guys suggested and try to have a really serious talk with my pDoc. If she doesn't take is seriously, I'll start looking into someone else. I just have this real fear of ending up with one of those pDocs who are crazy against benzos. And while I will likely be off them (or to a very low dose) within 6 months, having to do a hardcore withdrawal isn't something I can handle right now.

Crazy against benzos isn't bad. Crazy against evidence is though.

BTW, has anyone used Thorazine for sleep? I've had to use them for 18hr+ hiccups and slept amazingly well on it the two nights I was able to use it.

In theory it sounds like a much cleaner version of seroquel. It should be cheaper too. Thorazine should be worth a fair trial. A lot of the older typicals will carry less side effects than the AAPs.

Yes, blood work is all normal. I haven't done a sleep study yet mostly because the thought of sleeping in a lab freaks me out. But the regular kind of check-ups have gone fine. I've also been avoiding a brain scan because... well because I'm bat-shit crazy (as in, there is no good reason, I am just avoiding it like the plague)

If you try hard enough a physiologicall problem can probably be found. Screening can be great though for ruling out the nonsensical.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#27 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

I say Haldol! Good stuff. I take it and an hour later, I cannot keep my eyes open. Good hard sleep and no hangover the next day. So, my opinion has definitely changed.

#28 allieincrazyland

allieincrazyland

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1, PTSD, GAD, PD
  • Current Meds:20 mg Saphris,.2 mg Clonidine BID, 150 mg Wellbutrin, 1 mg Xanax prn, 50 mg Pristiq

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

I have chronic insomnia and have for most of my life. I have been on countless meds to control it and none of them worked long-term. I will say that Trazodone worked well for a few months. I went from 100 mg to 400 mg in 3 1/2 months and then it started sending me into mania so that was it. While it worked, though, it was awesome. I tried Haldol but it didn't work for me at all - again, I was manic instead of sleepy. I've had to learn a lot about sleeping by myself because many pdocs don't take insomnia seriously enough. Forget 4-5 days without sleep - I've gone as long as 9 with absolutely no sleep and as many as 13 with a few episodes of falling asleep for a few minutes at a time.

One of the things I do is chant a mantra over and over as I'm trying to sleep. I say outloud three words, "Sleep, just sleep". It slows my thoughts down and sometimes allows me to fall asleep even if I don't stay asleep long.

I sincerely hope you find something that works for you. Insomnia has an affect on all aspects of our lives and whatever flavor MI we have, it only worsens the symptoms.

Unlike you, I will take naps. Anytime I'm sleepy, I stop what I'm doing and I go to sleep. I'd rather have an unusual sleep pattern than none at all. I know my circadian cycle is permanently screwed and I don't see me as ever being one of those people who can fall asleep at night and wake in the morning. There is an advantage to that - I get a lot of work done when the house is quiet, the phone is not ringing and there's no one around. My little dog would appreciate it if I would sleep normally but she's a puppy, she'll get used to my oddities soon!

"We are all wonderful, beautiful wrecks. That's what connects us - that we are broken, all beautifully imperfect." Emilio Estevez

#29 thief of light

thief of light

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Diagnoses:DSM: 296.89, 300.01, 300.02, 307.42, 309.81.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

I know you've said you're anxious about getting a sleep study done, but I highly recommend it, just to rule out anything else that might be going on. I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep myself, and I just found out that a major reason I'm not sleeping through the night most nights is that my oxygen saturation rates were dropping into the 70s when they should be in the 90s! No wonder I couldn't sleep.

A lot of hospitals have space in a hotel, rather than a lab. You can always ask and see what the facilities are like, even tour them. Another option would be to have one done in your own home - the doctor can have some of the equipment sent over.

Either way, it's definitely worth it to have it done just so you know what's going on.

Current DX: Bipolar II, GAD, panic disorder, PTSD, migraines, hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, and endometriosis.

Current RX: 5mg Saphris, 200mg Seroquel, 1mg Klonopin nightly with an extra .5mg prn

Potentially Revisiting RX: Zonegran - we shall see. 

Past RX: Amitryptiline, Ambien, BuSpar, Celexa, Clomipramine, Cymbalta, Doxepin, Effexor, Flexeril, Lamictal, Latuda, Lexapro, Lithium, Lunesta, Lyrica, Mirena IUD, Neurontin, Nortryptiline, Prazosin, Prozac, Paxil, Remeron, Risperdal, Soma, Tegretol, Topamax, Trazodone, Vistaril, Wellbutrin, Zoloft

#30 jendaizbee

jendaizbee

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder, hypothyroidism, Fibromyalgia, Sjogren's Syndrome
  • Current Meds:Prozac, Latuda, Clonazepam, Vistaril, Ambien, Risperdal Consta IM, Melatonin

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

I wish I had an answer for you, because then I'd have one for myself too. I have had insomnia all my life. When I was hypomanic, obviously it was worse, but I'm not usually hypomanic. I always have insomnia. Like you, I have tried pretty much everything, including Thorazine which worked in the hospital, but my Pdoc won't prescribe it (and honestly, I don't really want to take it because of tardive dyskenisia). I am currently on Ambien, Vistaril, Clonazepam, and huge dosages of Melatonin, just to sleep. Still, it takes hours to fall asleep. Sometimes I am simply awake all night or I sleep for two hours. I was recently on too high a dosage of Prozac and began becoming hypomanic, but in all honesty I wasn't sleeping much better before that when I was definitely not the least bit manic. This has been going on for so long, I don't know what to do anymore. I had a sleep study in like 2003 and they actually told me I did not have a sleep disorder (unbelievable). I told my pDoc recently it would take chloral hydrate to make me sleep. Of course, he's not interested in trying that. I started doing biofeedback this week and I only hope the universe is kind enough to let it work for me, because I have a good doctor and he's at a loss as to what will help me. I've tried herbal things like Valerian Root, huge dosages of Benadryl, and pretty much everything normally prescribed for sleep except stuff that's not covered by Medicare. It's a nightmare not being able to sleep. I'm thinking I need another sleep study. Good luck!

Edited by jendaizbee, 04 May 2012 - 10:13 AM.

"Its Latin name may come from bellis, meaning beautiful, so Bellis Perennis can be translated to perennial beauty, as the daisy flowers for so long. Or bellis may come from bellum, Latin for war, because it grew in fields of battle, and can staunch bleeding and reduce bruising and shock. One of the daisy's old names is bruisewort.

The cheerful little daisy is a symbol of innocence because of its association with children, and of survival.
Daisies adapt to almost any landscape and soil type, and will survive being trodden underfoot and all the indignities of the hoe and the lawnmower."
-Anne McIntyre, Flower Power

http://www.suicidalnomore.com

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder, Bipolar Type

Current Meds: Trilafon, Clozaril (going off now), Prozac, Valium, Vistaril, Melatonin, Ambien, and non-psych meds for thyroid and Lupus

Past Meds: APs - Seroquel, Risperdone, Geodon, Abilify, Haldol and Thorazine (those 2 in hospitals)
Antidepressants: Prozac, Paxil, Effexxor, Anafranil, Elavil, Tofranil, Remeron 
 Prozac 50 mgs, Latuda 80 mgs, Clonazepam 1.5 mgs, Vistaril 100 mgs, Ambien 10 mgs, Risperdal Consta injections - 50 mgs biweekly, Melatonin for additional sleep help, other non-psych meds and other SSRI's I can't recall

Mood Stabilizers: Neurontin, Lithium, Lamictal, Depakote, perhaps others
Others: Luvox, Ritalin, Cogentin and others like it, Restoril, Trazadone plus more I cannot remember

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog