Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Anesthesia And Psych Meds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lizziegoatgirl

lizziegoatgirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Diagnoses:PMDD, MDD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg, Deplin 15, Lo-loestren, Xanax 0.5mg PRN

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hey everyone,
I have to get surgery tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has any insight on how anesthesia will interact with my meds, if at all. I don't necessarily trust the anesthesiologist to know much about psych meds to be honest. I am a nurse and have worked with anesthesiologists before and know where their scope of understanding ends.

Wellbutrin
Lamictal
Buspar

That's my drug cocktail. Any input? Any experiences?
Thanks,
LGG
What my actual diagnosis is: PMDD/MDD/GAD
Past Diagnoses
: Cyclothymia, Dysthymia, Depression, Seasonal Affective disorder, BPII

Other meds that I have tried
: Wellbutrin XL, zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Welbutrin SR, Abilify, Buspar, 5-HTP, Lamictal

Supplements
: Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, B-complex, Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit E, multivitamin,
Possible pertinent info
: eat a gluten free/ dairy restricted diet. exercise regularly, spend a lot of time outside, I have a regular sleep cycle, in a great relationship, have a great life, and have really no reason to be depressed or anxious.
<p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The question you have to ask yourself in these types of situations is: how crazy can you take it? -RLMay all beings shine to the light of their true nature. -Abe Lincoln
Don't look at bipolar as a bad thing; it makes you creative, intelligent, intuitive and gives you the ability to feel a full intense spectrum of emotions then most people ever could understand. -Dr. P
[font=georgia]From what I know so far about you, I see no evidence that you have bipolar disorder in any way. -Dr. B

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 lavender

lavender

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Abilify, Effexor, Neurontin, Provigil

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

I had a procedure a couple weeks ago, and was given demerol with no problems.

DX: Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, Alcoholism-sober for 9 years
Other Medical Conditions: Hypothyroid, Graves Disease, Fibromyalgia, Sleep Apnea, Migraines, Heart Palpitations
Current Meds: Abilify 7.5 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Neurontin 1500 mg, Provigil 200 mg, Armour Thyroid 150 mg, Metoprolol 25 mg am&pm
Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D, Iron, Fish Oil
Failed Meds: Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Wellbutrin

#3 korey1015

korey1015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Social Phobia
  • Current Meds:check my signature

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Just be sure to tell the nurses and doctors what medicines you're taking. I think they ask that question regarding all medicines and supplements, not just psych meds. I only know of MAOIs and sedatives having bad reactions with anesthesia, so your cocktal looks safe to me. But I'm not a nurse or a doctor, so make a point to tell the nurses and doctors what you're taking. Bring a list of your meds and such. They should understand that you're just being precautious.

Current Rx:
Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 200mg, and Restoril 30mg

Things I have been prescribed:
Lexapro (escitalopram), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Remeron (mirtazapine), Wellbutrin SR/XL (bupropion), Eskalith CR (lithium), Topamax (topiramate), Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam), Tranxene (clorazepate), Ambien (zolpidem), Restoril (temazepam), Rozerem (ramelteon), Desyrel (trazodone), Ritalin (methylphenidate), Adderall (amphetamine salts), Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine), Inderal (propranolol), Lopressor (metoprolol), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Abilify (aripiprazole), Depakote (divalproex), Geodon (ziprasidone), Sinequan (doxepin), Somnote (chloral hydrate), ProSom (estazolam)

#4 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

Just be honest with the anesthesia people. If they are unfamiliar with things, the will probably look them up. Make sure you let them know about any bad anesthesia experiences and don't lie about past alcohol use patterns in the window of time they care about (it can differ).

An example of a bad anesthesia experience to note would be when I was 14 under general getting my wisdom teeth cut out and woke up taking swings at the dentist. The left side of my mouth can't salivate anymore and a big wad of scar tissue in my cheek may be contributing to that. Abnormal reactions to anesthesia go with MI though. Less sudden death, but more waking up incredibly pissed. My medical peculiarities card I carry request's restraints if I am anesthetized now. This happened in the summer when I was too young to know what was what so I may have been running as manic as hell. My memories of that summer are seeing a lot of people with nice but and then eating only chocolate ice cream and pain as I tried to return to playing the Tuba.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#5 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraine, Anxiety, RLS, Akathisia
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Zofran, Protonix, Mirapex

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:25 AM

Definitely let them know exactly what you're taking, regardless of whether or not you think they'll know what to do. I'm surprised they didn't go over any of that with you in the pre-op. When I had my surgery last year, they told me in pre-op that amitriptyline and anesthesia was a really bad mix and I had to be off of it for the surgery. Still, the meds you're on aren't unusual or anything, so odds are they have encountered them before.

I'm sure people have been under anesthesia with practically every med at some point (after all, not all procedures come with a convenient advance warning), but it may warrant a change in the agents they use and the dosages. The time I had emergency surgery, I was taking Topamax and Benadryl at the time, and I'm still alive to tell the tale, but of course a single piece of anecdotal evidence regarding completely different medications doesn't mean much.

If you're worried about it, I would call and ask to speak with someone to put your mind at ease.

Edit: You can even look up the interactions yourself if you know what agents they will be using, but that's probably not a great idea if you're the type to worry or obsess over the information (not that I would know anything about that...), and of course don't replace that info with any instructions your surgical team has given you.

Edited by VisualSnow, 12 March 2012 - 04:38 AM.

#6 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

It's impossible to say what the interactions will be, if any, because each anesthesiologist uses a different cocktail of meds to put you under and keep you under. MOST LIKELY it will be something like:
1. midazolam
2. fentanyl
3. lidocaine
4. propofol
5. some muscle relaxant
6. volatile anesthetic mixture

In that order.

It is super important that you let your anesthesiologist know what meds you are on. He/she will likely look them up, and it may influence what cocktail he/she decides to use.

In REALITY though, the process is a dynamic one, and anesthesiologists are trained to sort of 'go with the flow'. They know that many patients will lie about what they are taking (or in trauma situations, the patient is not awake to say what they are on). So putting and keeping a patient under is a dynamic process, and they will monitor your vitals, and adjust the drugs they give you based on how you respond. So, I wouldn't worry too much. Except if you get one of those anesthesiologists who decides to fall asleep or leave the room while you are under....which I have seen happen more often than not, unfortunately.
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#7 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Two weeks ago, I had a short procedure using propofol and had no ill effects or mood effects whatsoever. Just felt like I had a nice sleep and woke up feeling refreshed. I've had the same results with propofol with fentanyl but with the exception that I had a slight, good elevation in mood from the fentaynl. It didn't last long. I've had surgery while on lamictal, wellbutrin and abilify with no ill effects and had dilaudin afterwards with nothing but what I imagine was a normal dilaudin reaction...bit whoozy. I didn't have any nausea but again experienced a slight elevation in mood in a good way....helped along by the fact that I had no pain for the first time in decades. I don't think this is particularly unique to being bipolar II though as I've seen friends with no MI have similiar reactions. The anesthesiologist on my recent procedure, called me the night before to insure I would be taking all my medications in the morning, particularly my blood pressure medicine, using a small sip of water. As a nurse, you've seen the worst but I'm sure you've seen the best as well. In all my million times of dealing with anesthesiologists for family members, they've always done an excellent job working with people who were hard to keep alive to begin with.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#8 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

oops...just realized you must have already had the procedure.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#9 lizziegoatgirl

lizziegoatgirl

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Diagnoses:PMDD, MDD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Emsam 6mg, Deplin 15, Lo-loestren, Xanax 0.5mg PRN

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm home now, did fine w anesthesia. The even let me take the lamictal at my usual time before the surgery. Appreciate the feedback
LGG
What my actual diagnosis is: PMDD/MDD/GAD
Past Diagnoses
: Cyclothymia, Dysthymia, Depression, Seasonal Affective disorder, BPII

Other meds that I have tried
: Wellbutrin XL, zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Welbutrin SR, Abilify, Buspar, 5-HTP, Lamictal

Supplements
: Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, B-complex, Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit E, multivitamin,
Possible pertinent info
: eat a gluten free/ dairy restricted diet. exercise regularly, spend a lot of time outside, I have a regular sleep cycle, in a great relationship, have a great life, and have really no reason to be depressed or anxious.
<p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The question you have to ask yourself in these types of situations is: how crazy can you take it? -RLMay all beings shine to the light of their true nature. -Abe Lincoln
Don't look at bipolar as a bad thing; it makes you creative, intelligent, intuitive and gives you the ability to feel a full intense spectrum of emotions then most people ever could understand. -Dr. P
[font=georgia]From what I know so far about you, I see no evidence that you have bipolar disorder in any way. -Dr. B

#10 forgetmenot

forgetmenot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar type), GAD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Wellbutrin XL, Haldol, Saphris

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

glad it went well!

current rx: wellbutrin xl 450 mg, lamictal 300 mg, Haldol 0.5 mg, Saphris 5 mg

celexa, prozac, navane, xanax, klonopin, vistaril, effexor xr, lithium, abilify, benztropine, buspar, risperidone, trazadone, cogentin, latuda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog