Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Trazodone And Melatonin

Insomnia

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alluraleigh

alluraleigh

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:anxiety, fibro, insomnia
  • Current Meds:Trazodone, neurontin

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi, I'm new to crazy meds forum. If this question has already been discussed, I apologize in advance. I've been experiencing extreme anxiety and have not been able to sleep at night. I had been taking Ambien for a couple of years which started decreasing in it's effectiveness to where even after taking it, I was wide awake after 2 hrs and up most of the night trying to get back to sleep, often taking another pill. The doctor gave me an Rx for Trazodone and told me to start at 25mg for 3 nights and then if needed to take 50mg a night. Well, it took me quite awhile to fall asleep (Ambien knocked me out rather quickly) and then I woke up after only 2 hrs and was extremely frustrated. My question is, has anyone heard whether it's okay to take a Melatonin after you've taken Traz....it seems to help me unwind. Haven't tried it with the Traz yet, just don't want to over-sedate myself or cause any interactions. Thanks for your response.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 celeste

celeste

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Diagnoses:anxiety disorder bouts of depression
  • Current Meds:celexa 40mgs

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Not a good move taking Melatonin while on psych meds. It can cause dreams which can make you feel like you are on LSD.

It is not available without an Rx anywhere else except the US.
Paxil '96 - '06 ~ Lexapro '06 - '09 ~ Imipramine '08 - 2012 ~ Celexa 40mgs

#3 bipolarceliac

bipolarceliac

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Diagnoses:Panic disorder w/o agoraphobia, Bipolar II, GAD
  • Current Meds:citalopram, lorazepam, trazodone, lamotrigine, abilify

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

I don't know about taking melatonin with trazodone. I do take celexa and have taken melatonin, with my dr's blessing btw. I have always had strange and vivid dreams so even before I was on meds so I can't really comment on that. When in doubt, ask your dr.

Managing multiple disorders/disease, both crazy and other. 

Current crazy med doses: citalopram 30mg, lamotrigine 200mg, lorazepam .5-1mg, trazodone 100mg (new dose), abilify 25mg (new).

#4 lindy

lindy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

I've taken trazodone and melatonin together for years with no apparent ill effects, although still have issues with early waking. Research indicates that melatonin is useful in getting to sleep but less so in staying asleep.
It is not only the US where you can get it without a prescription, but it's still a good idea to discuss this with your doctor.

Edited by lindy, 10 May 2012 - 04:30 AM.

#5 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraine, Anxiety, RLS, Akathisia
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Zofran, Protonix, Mirapex

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Discuss with your doc. Generally, you're not supposed to take melatonin on top of any other sedating drugs. Sometimes I take Benadryl to help me sleep, and my doc was not keen on both at the same time.

Edit to add: If your doc okays it, there is supposedly a benefit to the extended release version for folks who can't stay asleep. When I was on melatonin, that's what I took and had better results with it. There is some research that shows the extended release are indeed quite different, like in this abstract

Edited by VisualSnow, 10 May 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#6 lindy

lindy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

VisualSnow is right that the extended release melatonin is more effective in helping people stay asleep. I just wake earlier than I'd like. Doctors seem to vary on the advisibility of combining melatonin with other products, (mine said no problem) but individuals' reactions obviously vary too. As melatonin is produced naturally in our bodies, it would make sense that small doses of it would be safe with a variety of other products and I can't find any research which indicates trazodone plus melatonin is harmful- which was the original question by alluraleigh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog