Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Seroquel Giving Me Panic Attacks And Blocked Nose "sometimes"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GregFisk25

GregFisk25

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 2
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 300mg + Lamicatl 200mg

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:36 AM

I am taking 200mg of seroquel, and have been for about 2 months.
SOMETIMES, it completely blocks my nose, and usually at the same time, the sedation and 'stoned' feeling are stronger. I often have a severe panic attack when feeling like this.
I'm planning on trying the XR version, but won't be till next week.

My question is:are there things that make it more likely to do this sometimes. Does it make any difference with/without food? Taking it with lots of water or little? How much sun I had during the day? I don't know. What common things would change the effect it has on me 30mins after taking it?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 blart752

blart752

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mood disorder NOS

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

I get this too, I really dislike this feeling, even when im off of it i still get it. I feel like my nose is always stuffed.

#3 RileyBell

RileyBell

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:Panic Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, Severe Insomnia
  • Current Meds:Xanax 1mg, Xanax XR 4mg, Neurontin 2400mg, Seroquel 300mg, Ambien 10mg

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

I can only respond to the Panic feelings that seem to hit sometimes (and sometimes not at all. It's SO frustrating!). Since my pDoc (I do hope I'm using that term correctly) has me using it for sleep... what I have to do is literally start at a quarter dose, wait 25 minutes to see if panic hits, if it doesn't take another quarter dose, and so on and so forth.
What HELPs me, however, is that a fairly small dose of a benzo (such as .5mg {likely .25 if you have no tolerance} of Xanex) blocks or resolves the panic response extremely well (meaning if that same level of panic hit me from a situation or unknown source, I'd need a much higher dose of a benzo to help).

I have NO idea if it'd do anything for the stuffy/pressurized nose. I know Afrin helps, but that crap is SO addictive that I don't suggest ever using it more than once a week ever in your life or major 'rebound' results.
I live by two mottos:

Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

and

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

#4 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 657 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, Cymbalta

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

I am taking 200mg of seroquel, and have been for about 2 months.
SOMETIMES, it completely blocks my nose, and usually at the same time, the sedation and 'stoned' feeling are stronger.
I'm planning on trying the XR version, but won't be till next week.
My question is:are there things that make it more likely to do this sometimes. Does it make any difference with/without food? Taking it with lots of water or little? How much sun I had during the day? I don't know. What common things would change the effect it has on me 30mins after taking it?

I recently started taking Seroquel XR during the daytime instead of only at night, when I can mostly sleep through this effect, and it's been quite bad. I find that if I can get my nose unblocked the sedation and spaced out/dazed feeling go away. To that end, I've been taking a once-daily snort of Zicam Intense Sinus Relief Gel. It fixes the problem within minutes.

I only need it once a day. The "I'm being smothered" effect seems to come pretty consistently about three (?) hours or so after my morning dose of Seroquel. And I know you're not supposed to use sprays like this for more than a few days at a time because they can cause rebound congestion, but congestion has been an issue for me the entire time I've been taking Seroquel, which is about eight years now. If this fixes it, I'm totally willing to add a daytime dose-one daytime dose-of Zicam to my list of meds. I'll just go one enduring the nighttime problem.

So what are the odds that this will keep on working and not become an escalating need that will land me on one of those "my strange addiction" shows? And does anyone have a better suggestion? Please don't say neti pots. They have never, ever worked for me.

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,  60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3,

Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#5 Larkspur

Larkspur

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar ii, OCD, GAD, social phobia, attention deficit
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Lexapro, Wellbutrin XL, clonidine, PRN: Xanax, Restoril

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

I have had a mild to moderately congested nose/sinus ever since I started Seroquel. However, when I went up to 600mg (from 300mg) I had that sensation of COMPLETE nose blockage. It was momentarily terrifying. I opened my mouth huge and took deep, heaving breaths through my mouth. It took a couple of tries laying back down to feel comfortable and like I wasn't suffocating. It hasn't happened since.

If my attitude towards that experience seems blasť, that's because it was my first negative experience after several months on Seroquel. I knew congestion was a potential side effect, so I was able to talk myself through it. If it happens to you regularly and you're having difficulty, ask your pdoc if there's anything you can do to avoid that side effect. One thing that worked for me with Seroquel congestion is Breathe Right strips.

larkspur

Dx: bipolar ii; social anxiety disorder/social phobia, GAD, OCD, insomnia

#6 RocketMan

RocketMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS - up for debate now?, OCD, Major Anxiety Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Current Meds:Seroquel XR 100mg, Lamictal 50mg, Clonazepam 1mg / 3xday

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Terrible stuffed nose for me as well on GENERIC. I went back to brand IR and all was well. Later switched to XR with no problems. Don't know about the increase in anxiety?

#7 ci317

ci317

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Diagnoses:Ultradian Rapid Cycling Bipolar, Insomnia, Hypersomnia
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Abilify, Ritalin IR

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

After a few months of 400mg my nose is less stopped up than when I started. In the beginning i'd blow solid crap out of my nose for a few minutes every morning.

#8 paellamagi

paellamagi

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar
  • Current Meds:Epilim 2000mg, Lexapro 10mg, Abilify 20mg, Lamictal 200mg, Temazepam 10mg prn

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I've had the blocked and or runny nose since I started Seroquel. It's really annoying. I chalked it up to a winter cold coming on but now I'm not so sure.

Happy Pills: Epilim 2000mg, Lexapro 10mg, Abilify 20mg, Lamictal 200mg, Temazepam 10mg prn.

#9 blart752

blart752

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mood disorder NOS

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:13 AM

Yah, i do not enjoy the generic too much. It worked okay for awhile. But IMO it's better than the brand. The brand made me kind of restless. Where i couldnt sit still at times.

#10 GregFisk25

GregFisk25

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

I changed to XR which got rid of the panic attacks 99% of the time. If I take the tablets with a hey meal, they can be very sedating still.
I did find a fix to the blocked nose tho just recently.
Nyal decongestant nasal spray.
Ingredient is 5mg/ml phenylephrine hydrochloride. 1 spray per nostril and my nose is completely clear.
I only use it when necessary so I hope it works long term, but I really wish I had known about it at the start for those times I felt like I was suffocating.

#11 amylourou

amylourou

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, OCD, Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:Prozac, Ambien, clonasapam

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I was just recently prescribed Seroquel 50mg as needed for panic attacks. He also started me on Prozac 10mg, which I'm working my way up to 60mg. So far, the Seroquel either doesn't help me during a panic attack or it makes it worse. I am having several panic attacks a day and the nausea is horrible! I'm vomiting at least once a day. I just started taking these meds Friday due to last meds ( Trazodone as needed for panic attacks and Remeron) caused high heart rate and constant panic attack feeling for about an hour and a half after taking. I really hate to call my doctor again complaining about these new meds but I feel like I'm going crazy!! I spend most of the day shut up in my room hiding from the world because any little thing can cause me to flip out! My main question is, Has anyone ever taken Seroquel as needed for panic attacks? And how long should I wait before I call my doctor? Several years ago I was on Xanex for panic attacks and I never felt like this when I took them!

#12 GregFisk25

GregFisk25

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi,
Seroquel CAUSES panic attacks in me. Its horrible stuff until you get used to it. I was taking xanax regularly to combat the panic caused when the seroquel cuts in.
I used to have bad panic disorder, so I know how you feel. Xanax is a wonder drug for it (and as far as I know its main use). Yes, you do become dependant on it when you take it long term, and it doesn't do your memory any favours, but it really really works. I found that citalopram helped me control the panic on a long term basis, and enabled me to stop taking xanax (I presume thats what the prozac is being used for in your case).

Also, just be sure you aren't bipolar, as I am, and prozac is like speed for me - hypes me up like crazy and that isn't going to help with panic attacks (obviously it affects everyone differently, however I have heard of bipolar people having this reaction more commonly)

Also, when I was having my bad panic disorder, I was lead to believe that the best overall 'cure' was to use things like CBT and not to take drugs for it.
In my case I dont think I could have done that, and xanax was probably a lifesaver for me but it may be something to look into.

But the short answer to your question, and ONLY based on my experiences and a lot of anecdotal internet research is that seroquel as needed is not a great idea for panic attacks.

#13 amylourou

amylourou

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, OCD, Panic Disorder
  • Current Meds:Prozac, Ambien, clonasapam

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I don't really know which symptoms come from which meds. but I can honestly say I feel worse now than when I started them. I can't stop moving, I just run back and forth through my house, Also I noticed that my tonsils were swollen this morning and it hurts to swallow. I just figured I'd caught something from my kids or their friends, But I noticed on here that it could be one of the bad side effects. Seeing how my pdoc just put me on these Friday. ( He had to squeeze me in due to the bad reaction to the previous med ) I'm a little afraid to bother him. That he might get annoyed with me complaining so soon after the last incident.I just don't know what to do. All I know is I'm going crazy and nothing seems to help! I can't hide under my bed forever, but it's all I've got right now.

#14 Boom

Boom

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety, insomnia, depersonalisation syndrome (wtf that is)
  • Current Meds:Nothing...eeek

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

You are not alone, seroquel made me have terrible panic attacks, they set in around 30 mins after swallowing it, then id fall asleep.. My pdoc didn't believe it was possible, suggesting i was getting paranoid! Being off it for 1 year i feel so much more at ease. I also have anxiety, luvox has been the stand out in helping, of course it has its side effects, but well worth a look.

#15 lildropofsunshine

lildropofsunshine

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, OCD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, Seroquel

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

I've been on Seroquel (IR) for about a month and a half now, after switching from XR.

I just upped my dose from 300mg/day to 450mg/day because I've been pretty depressed lately (when my pdoc prescribed it he said to start w/300mh and go up to 450mg if needed), and I've noticed that a little while after taking it, my nose gets extremely stuffed up. I've read that this can occur with Seroquel, but my question is, will it stop eventually? I never had this problem at 300mg.

I also have a much worse cough after taking it. Is this normal? I've had a cough for about 2 months now (so I know it's not being caused by the Seroquel since it started before I started the Seroquel), but it gets a lot worse after taking it, and I've also been experiencing some chest tightness.

Ugh. I really hope I don't need to change meds. That's always a pain in the butt...but I can't go around not being able to breathe at night since that means not sleeping...I mean, I could go back down on my dose, but since I've been pretty depressed lately, and I'm already on a high dose of Lexapro (20mg), it made sense to do it...

Edited by Blue Heron, 28 November 2012 - 10:46 AM.
merged with a similar topic

Dx: Bipolar II, OCD, GAD
Current meds: Lexapro, Seroquel

Previous meds: Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Lamictal, Zyprexa, gabapentin, Depakote, Geodon

#16 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Seroquel side effects like a stuffy nose or a dry mouth may go away after a couple of weeks after a dose change.

Get that persistent cough checked out. It could be the cause of the chest discomfort.

Heating systems often dry out the air, which can cause a stuffy nose--something else to consider.

#17 lildropofsunshine

lildropofsunshine

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, OCD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, Seroquel

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

It was just my body adjusting to the higher dose, thank God. The stuffiness has diminished greatly and is almost gone now.
Dx: Bipolar II, OCD, GAD
Current meds: Lexapro, Seroquel

Previous meds: Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Lamictal, Zyprexa, gabapentin, Depakote, Geodon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog