Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Photo

Aspartame

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AMC

AMC

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:treatment resistant depression, dysthymia, ADD, NVLD
  • Current Meds:celexa, strattera, effexor, concerta, klonopin, omega 3, magnesium, tyrosine

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

When i drink diet soda or otherwise ingest aspartame i get brain zaps and dizziness just like ssri discontinuation syndrome? Any others? Any insight?

#2 guest10935

guest10935

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:schizotypal? major depression, anxiety?
  • Current Meds:trazodone, (lexapro), cheap of the cheap lorazepam

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Don't drink it: the chemical crosses the blood brain barrier and could be a secret cause of the explosion of mental illness today. The other artificial sweeteners are not as bad but still bad. I drink unsweetened but flavored seltzer water mostly.
Current Meds: Lexapro, Ativan , Trazodone Bupropin SR

Past meds: Serax, Stelazine, Prozac, Trilifon, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Cogentin, Celexa, Geodon :(, Risperdal, very brief time on Haldol brief time on an older antidepressant (prob tricyclic) and cheap awful generic wellbutrin from hell

Current dx: Schizotypal disorder with major depression and anxiety

Past dx: Borderline disorder, major depression, paranoid personality disorder, "affective" disorder, whatever that is

Alternatives: Fish Oil, AC Vinegar, Diet Pills

#3 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Enabler
  • 3,955 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's, med-sensitive
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, med for Raynaud's

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Don't drink it: the chemical crosses the blood brain barrier and could be a secret cause of the explosion of mental illness today. The other artificial sweeteners are not as bad but still bad. I drink unsweetened but flavored seltzer water mostly.

Do you have any citations from mainstream medical journals to back up your assertion that aspartame is a source of mental illness? We deal in facts here, not Internet-fueled scaremongering.

Diagnoses: epilepsy (well-controlled), bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's, med-sensitive

Current Crazy Meds: lamotrigine (generic Lamictal), paroxetine

Other Current Medications: asthma/allergy meds (Advair, Nasonex, Singulair, Zyrtec), med for Raynaud's (pentoxifylline)

Previous Crazy Meds: gabapentin (generic Neurontin), citalopram (generic Celexa), BuSpar

Areas of Expertise: How to navigate the forums (FAQ) and Medication Wiki, and get the answers you need; Lamictal/lamotrigine questions; drug interactions; finding and evaluating sources of medical information. I also know a good bit of general information about the conditions Crazy Meds addresses, and the medications used to treat them.

Please do not send me requests for medical advice via private message. I answer such questions only in the forums.

#4 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraine, Anxiety, RLS, Akathisia
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Zofran, Protonix, Mirapex

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'm not sure about MI in general, but aspartame has been indicated in lowering migraine thresholds. Of course, not all the medical literature agrees, so take it with a grain of salt. I get migraines for sure if I consume it, and it increases my existing vertigo as well. A 20oz. bottle will do it for me. Honestly, I think a lot of it depends on individual brain chemistry and other confounding factors, so not everyone will have issues. If it causes you negative side effects, I would just stick with regular soda or sparkling water flavored with juice.

http://onlinelibrary...1010.x/abstract
http://www.nejm.org/...198608143150712

#5 In_Remission_LovelyThoughts

In_Remission_LovelyThoughts
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

I know my Mother can't have it because it makes her depressed. Even on meds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud