Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Aspartame

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AMC

AMC

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:treatment resistant depression, dysthymia, ADD, NVLD
  • Current Meds:celexa, strattera, effexor, concerta, klonopin, omega 3, magnesium, tyrosine

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

When i drink diet soda or otherwise ingest aspartame i get brain zaps and dizziness just like ssri discontinuation syndrome? Any others? Any insight?

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 guest10935

guest10935

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:schizotypal? major depression, anxiety?
  • Current Meds:trazodone, (lexapro), cheap of the cheap lorazepam

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Don't drink it: the chemical crosses the blood brain barrier and could be a secret cause of the explosion of mental illness today. The other artificial sweeteners are not as bad but still bad. I drink unsweetened but flavored seltzer water mostly.
Current Meds: Lexapro, Ativan , Trazodone Bupropin SR

Past meds: Serax, Stelazine, Prozac, Trilifon, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Cogentin, Celexa, Geodon :(, Risperdal, very brief time on Haldol brief time on an older antidepressant (prob tricyclic) and cheap awful generic wellbutrin from hell

Current dx: Schizotypal disorder with major depression and anxiety

Past dx: Borderline disorder, major depression, paranoid personality disorder, "affective" disorder, whatever that is

Alternatives: Fish Oil, AC Vinegar, Diet Pills

#3 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Don't drink it: the chemical crosses the blood brain barrier and could be a secret cause of the explosion of mental illness today. The other artificial sweeteners are not as bad but still bad. I drink unsweetened but flavored seltzer water mostly.

Do you have any citations from mainstream medical journals to back up your assertion that aspartame is a source of mental illness? We deal in facts here, not Internet-fueled scaremongering.

#4 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraine, Anxiety, RLS, Akathisia
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Zofran, Protonix, Mirapex

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'm not sure about MI in general, but aspartame has been indicated in lowering migraine thresholds. Of course, not all the medical literature agrees, so take it with a grain of salt. I get migraines for sure if I consume it, and it increases my existing vertigo as well. A 20oz. bottle will do it for me. Honestly, I think a lot of it depends on individual brain chemistry and other confounding factors, so not everyone will have issues. If it causes you negative side effects, I would just stick with regular soda or sparkling water flavored with juice.

http://onlinelibrary...1010.x/abstract
http://www.nejm.org/...198608143150712

#5 In_Remission_LovelyThoughts

In_Remission_LovelyThoughts
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

I know my Mother can't have it because it makes her depressed. Even on meds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog