Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

How To Treat Ocd When Comorbid With Bipolar?

bipolar ocd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Larkspur

Larkspur

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar ii, OCD, GAD, social phobia, attention deficit
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Lexapro, Wellbutrin XL, clonidine, PRN: Xanax, Restoril

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hi folks,

I have bipolar II and OCD (amongst other things). My OCD symptoms (compulsive hoarding/collecting, intrusive thoughts of injury, etc.) are totally out of whack since I went off Celexa. Celexa was great for my OCD, I had everything on lockdown, but then I had a hypomanic episode induced by Remeron....so now I'm only taking Seroquel and Depakote. The Depakote is short-term and will be switched to Lamictal at my next appointment.

Now, I know that once I am all the way up around 300mg of the Seroquel that it will start having serotonergic effects. I saw online also that there were promising studies about Lamictal helping with OCD. But by far, the best evidence seems to be for SSRI's or tricyclics.

Is there anyone else out there who is bipolar II and also OCD? I think I really want to try Prozac once I'm all levelled out, or maybe back to Celexa, but my pdoc is adamant right now that I can't take antidepressants until stable, and even then maybe not ever. I don't think I will be able to live a useful, fruitful life with my current levels of OCD/anxiety. I'm usually pretty lethargic, and I heard Prozac can be very activating and anoretic. I'm morbidly obese and also have ADHD so any "side effects" that would help with that would be great.

I feel like OCD is ruining my life. I have no motivation to walk my dogs, to clean my house, to work...but I am positively DRIVEN to expand my collection of nail polish, close all the blinds in the house and re-check to make sure they stay closed, etc.It's unpleasant, and fiscally unhealthy since I don't need to be spending my whole tax refund on nail art!!

Any other comorbid OCD/bipolars in the house? How do you and your doc treat it?

larkspur

Dx: bipolar ii; social anxiety disorder/social phobia, GAD, OCD, insomnia

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 curry

curry

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, bipolar 2, GAD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Zoloft, Ambien

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi Larkspur, I too have OCD and bipolar2.

I was first dx in 1994 with OCD and depression, and I took Anafranil and Prozac with HUGE success for 8 years. then I could not tolerate Anafranil anymore due to side effects and the crazymeds journey began.

I had Some relief with Effexor but never could get the clear mind like I had with Anafranil. In 2005 my pdoc decided I was bipolar2 and I tried nearly all the mood stabilizers, but still no relief so went back to effexor. Am starting over again now after a year from mood/depression hell. Taking lamictal ( super slow titrate as I had rash before) and pdoc insisted on 100mg Zoloft as I was so depressed. Zoloft did help depression but has made me extremely anxious, agitated and irritable so I just starting cutting back on it.

I am hoping for the best with lamictal but it will be a long time to get to a decent dose (titrating up 12.5 every 2 weeks; currently at 37.5mg).

#3 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have OCD, Trichotillomania/hair-pulling (which some people consider a part of the OCD spectrum, although it's more of an 'impulse control' disorder), and Bipolar I. I have tried various SSRIs/SNRIs for my OCD and Trich, none have worked. The atypical antipsychotics (especially abilify) works extremely well for my Trichotillomnia. BUT, it doesn't work for the rest of my OCD. This makes me think that OCD and Trich (at least in me) have different biological etiologies/work on different NT systems.

I have been on SSRIs, SNRIs, stimulants, and atypical antipsychotics...NOTHING has worked for my OCD. Honestly, I've sort of given up. I've tried CBT and hypnosis as well, and it didn't work either. I'm on Depakote now....we'll see if that does anything for my OCD, but I'm not holding my breath.

OCD can be really difficult to treat. *hugs*
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#4 sbrown1991

sbrown1991

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1, OCD
  • Current Meds:lamictal, latuda, viibryd

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

I have bipolar 1 and OCD. I take lamictal, viibryd which is a new ssri, and latuda which is a newer antipsychotic. Being on lamictal is great for my bipolar because I don't have any mixed episodes anymore which were terrible because I would rage, become psychotic, cry, be depressed, have suicidal thoughts and sometimes cut myself. Since you guys are bipolar 2 you probably haven't had a mixed episode but there hell compared to depression. I've only had straight mania once for 2 days and then I started drinking a lot of alcohol and it turned into a mixed episode fast. a mood stabilizer and an antipsychotic are the way to go for bipolar disorder. you may not even have to be on an antipsychotic. I only am because I hear voices, have paranoia, and sometimes have delusions. Now for my OCD I started having symptoms before my bipolar even came out. I didn't get diagnosed with ocd until 6 months after bipolar but I could tell what my ocd symptoms were for 3 years without even knowing I had ocd. Now when I had mood episodes my ocd was almost masked so it wasn't even a problem for 5 months. its like it went away because my mood problems were so severe. When I got my bipolar under control my OCD started up back in full effect. I have HOCD and other sexual obsessions like incest and sometimes pedophilia. I get extreme anxiety over this and it sometimes haunts me in my dreams. being on an ssri helps but I need CBT eventually.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bipolar, ocd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog