Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Stimulants For Ocd

OCD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jjgiii

jjgiii

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD DEPRESSION
  • Current Meds:Lexapro

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hey guys. This is my first post. Love the site. I've tried a number of drugs for OCD and am getting desperate. Has anyone had any benefit from taking stimulants for OCD? There have been a couple studies showing that certain stimulants may help with OCD and I just want to know if anyone has a personal story to share. Thanks guys.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

Please don't post the same question in multiple categories, jigiii. It doesn't increase the likelihood that you'll get answers more quickly. Read the FAQ.

Welcome to Crazy Meds. Be patient, and I bet you'll find the discussion board useful.

#3 jjgiii

jjgiii

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Ok sorry about that. Im just very desperate at this point. Thanks for the heads up though.

Joe.

#4 jjgiii

jjgiii

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

One question though Blue Heron...I set all of my topics I started to "follow" but no notifications showed up on the notification box when you replied to this topic I started, as well as the two others, where people replied, yet no notification. Any idea why that is happening?

Joe.

#5 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Read "Following Topics."

#6 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD, GAD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's, BPD, RLS
  • Current Meds:depakote, abilify, cymbalta, dexedrine, ativan, iron supplements

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've been on a variety of stimulants for ADHD, and they all make my OCD wayyy worse. But my ADHD is so bad that I have to be a on stimulant anyway. I can't imagine a stimulant making anyone's OCD *better*.

What has worked for my OCD (especially my hair-pulling) is the atypical antipsychotics. Of those, Abilify has worked the best. Have you tried an atypical antipsychotic for your OCD?
Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#7 Rainman56

Rainman56

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 92 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD,GAD,OCD
  • Current Meds:Luvox 200mg,Zyprexa 5mg prn,lorazepam.5mg prn.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Good to know Abilify can work for OCD...How much of a difference did you notice in reduction of symtoms?

To the original poster,I,d be surprised if stimulants would help OCD.I,d think they,d be the opposite but I could be wrong.I,m sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

#8 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Good to know Abilify can work for OCD...How much of a difference did you notice in reduction of symtoms?

To the original poster,I,d be surprised if stimulants would help OCD.I,d think they,d be the opposite but I could be wrong.I,m sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Abiilfy has almost completely stopped my hair pulling (I used to pull all day, every day). It has been a dramatic change. I still pick at my scalp, but much less than before (I don't make it bleed anymore).

Edited by metatrix, 27 March 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Age: 23; Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD, OCD, Trichotillomania, Tourette's Syndrome, GAD, Social Phobia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Restless Legs Sydrome; Current Meds: Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine SR) 35 mg, Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 60 mg, Aripiprazole (Abilify) 4 mg, Divalproex sodium (Epi-Val/Depakote) 1000 mg; Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg prn; Iron Supplements Past Meds: Paroxetine (Paxil), Citalopram (Celexa), Sertraline (Zoloft), Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Zeldox), Amphetamine (Adderall XR), Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

#9 Rainman56

Rainman56

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 92 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD,GAD,OCD
  • Current Meds:Luvox 200mg,Zyprexa 5mg prn,lorazepam.5mg prn.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Glad to hear its working well for you.I,m assuming it needs to be used in conjunction with another med to help with depression/ocd?

#10 metatrix

metatrix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

Glad to hear its working well for you.I,m assuming it needs to be used in conjunction with another med to help with depression/ocd?

For hair-pulling, can be used on it's own. For depression, needs to be used in conjuction with an antidepressant, generally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog