Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Quetiapine Causing Underactive Thyroid?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:200mg lamotrigine; 300mg quetiapine IR; Agomelatine, 50mg; thyroxine, 125mg

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

I've done a search, but can't find anything here on the possible connection between quetiapine and hypothyroidism. I found this http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10772436 (and there are a few other studies to the right of that page) and http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html, which reports a decrease in T3 and T4 levels, and an increase in TSH levels.

Does anyone have any further information on this? I'm interested in getting a sense of how common this problem is, and at what dosages it tends to become a problem.

(Reason for asking: My TSH levels had been level for a while and everything seemed fine. However, about 4 weeks after increasing my quetiapine, I went to my GP to complain about a return of symptoms; a blood test showed that my TSH levels had increased. I'm wondering whether there's a relationship there. I'd never had any problems with my thyroid levels until about 2 months after I started quetiapine.)
Previous dx: postnatal depression

Failed med's: Sertraline, Citalopram, Trazodone, Olanzapine, Quetiapine XR, lithium, Abilify

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

The most obvious place to start research is with the PI. You want section 5.14:

http://www1.astrazen...pi/Seroquel.pdf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvanse 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 16 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

I was not on a computer that could copy and paste from a pdf, here you go:

5.14 Hypothyroidism
Adults: Clinical trials with quetiapine demonstrated dose-related decreases in thyroid hormone
levels. The reduction in total and free thyroxine (T4) of approximately 20% at the higher end of
the therapeutic dose range was maximal in the first six weeks of treatment and maintained
without adaptation or progression during more chronic therapy. In nearly all cases, cessation
of quetiapine treatment was associated with a reversal of the effects on total and free T4,
irrespective of the duration of treatment. About 0.7% (26/3489) of SEROQUEL patients did
experience TSH increases in monotherapy studies. Some patients with TSH increases needed
replacement thyroid treatment. In the mania adjunct studies, where SEROQUEL was added to
lithium or divalproex, 12% (24/196) of SEROQUEL treated patients compared to 7% (15/203)
of placebo-treated patients had elevated TSH levels. Of the SEROQUEL treated patients with
elevated TSH levels, 3 had simultaneous low free T4 levels.
In all quetiapine trials, the incidence of potentially clinically significant shifts in thyroid
hormones and TSH were*: decrease in free T4, 2.0% (357/17513); decrease in total T4, 4.0%
(75/1861); decrease in free T3, 0.4% (53/13766); decrease in total T3, 2.0% (26/1312), and
increase in TSH, 4.9% (956/19412). In eight patients, where TBG was measured, levels of TBG
were unchanged.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvanse 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 16 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#4 historymum

historymum

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:200mg lamotrigine; 300mg quetiapine IR; Agomelatine, 50mg; thyroxine, 125mg

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thank you! I've never seen one of those before - I'll know about that for the future.
Previous dx: postnatal depression

Failed med's: Sertraline, Citalopram, Trazodone, Olanzapine, Quetiapine XR, lithium, Abilify

#5 viking_munchkin

viking_munchkin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia, Fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:Quetiapine 300mg, Fluoxetine 20mg, Synthyroid 100mcg, Diclofenac 75mg Ferrogradument 275mg

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

I was literally just wondering the same thing... I have never had any trouble with my thyroid before, but since I have started on quetiapine I have developed what my GP calls "borderline hypothyroidism".
Diagnosed with: Depression; Anxiety; Insomnia

Current Meds: Quetiapine 300mg

Experience in: Citalopram 60mg; Temazepam 10mg; Mirtazapine 30mg

"We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes-
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile"

~ Paul Laurence Dunbar

#6 Meylis

Meylis

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I, Rapid Cycling, OCD, ODD
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine (100mg), Zyprexa (10mg), Prozac(20mg)

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

I started having Restless legs since taking Seroquel. One of the causes of RLS is hypothyroidism. I thought it was coincidence, now it is getting closer to a fact.

#7 LadleFullOfNeurons

LadleFullOfNeurons

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Affective Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 700mg, Prozac 60mg, Levothyroxine 100g, Lithium 1200mg, Lansoprazole 30mg,

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

Yes, I have been taking 700 mg of Seroquel XR and after 1 year I had to be put on 100 micrograms of Levothyroxine to negate the effects of Seroquel on my thyroid. 1 year later, my thyroid is going even more out-of-whack. I have 6 monthly bloods to check liver function and thyroid and Lithium levels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog