Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Vistaril

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Idle Rambling

In_Remission_Idle Rambling
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

I'm just getting my depression a bit more managable. I'm on cymbalta 60mg for it and it seems to help, except around my lady times. Still having major drops in mood there. But now my main problem is a whole hell of a lot of anxiety. My pdoc had me go to the hospital when I was feeling more self loathing, to the point of light cutting, and they put me on abilify there as well, but I couldn't do anything when on it. I couldn't even sit still. I was still having the same thoughts and feelings, but was unable to concentrate on anything for more than 10 minutes in general.
My pdoc took me off of it and added vistaril 25mg to my meds a couple days ago. Still having trouble with the restless anxious feelings, but they seem to be worsening now. I just started vistaril today, and it isn't doing anything for it. My question is, is the dose too low, is tat why I feel no relief? What else can I do with this? I feel so wretched and cant sleep. All I do is wander about and sometimes eat to distract myself.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Tryn

Tryn

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Enabler
  • 390 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

Okay, one of the most common side effects when you first start Vistaril is sleepiness and usually Vistaril kicks in pretty quickly, I've had it a few times and it didn't take long to work, worked well and it made me sleepy as hell. If it was me I'd give it a little bit longer then if it's still not helping I'd call the pdoc and ask what to do. It may just be that your dosage is too low, that's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post, or it may be that Vistaril isn't the right med for you. The only way to know is to give it a try. If it's still not working your pdoc can tell you what to do to get some relief.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#3 In_Remission_StevieJ870

In_Remission_StevieJ870
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

I have really awful anxiety and panic issues. and since he can no longer write me benzos (which seems to be his go-to), my pdoc has been experimenting with all kinds of other shit, and last week it was Vistaril. He started me on 100 mgs/ 3x daily (I do have a pretty high tolerance to meds, which sucks). I took it for a couple days and didn't notice anything but a little bit easier time falling asleep at night. When I went back and told him I didn't notice any effect on my anxiety, he said he didn't really expect it to work, and wasn't surprised. I have heard it works really well for some people, though, so it might be worth a shot for a little while, especially since it seems like there are few side effects to it.

#4 In_Remission_Idle Rambling

In_Remission_Idle Rambling
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

I took twice the perscribed amount because I just couldn't take it anymore. It took the edge off, and I slept a little, I think. I'm not sure if I was dreaming or if I did stuff and remember it now. Like I thought I got a popsicle to eat and now I don't remember eating it, and can't find it anywhere. I threwup tonight because My anxiety got to be too much for me. I also cut myself and then later sobbed like a baby over an argument I had with my room mate. I feel so out of control right now. I got some kind of root suppose to help with anxiety naturally and don't know if that contributed to me getting sick or what. Monday seems like years away and I just want to scream. Ugh. I'm trying to give this crap a chance, so until Monday I'll keep taking it as perscribed and hope it does something. Thank you for your comments

#5 LunaLovegood

LunaLovegood

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Diagnoses:anxiety insomnia substance abuse ADHD BPD depending on therapist mood crash
  • Current Meds:ritalin 10 mg IR BID - quetiapine XR 300mg - cyamemazine 75mg + PRN

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

Idle Rambling,

I currently take hydroxyzine (brand name here is atarax, it's the same as vistaril) for anxiety and as sleep aid. 25 mg is very mild (for me). 2 weeks ago, I have been agressed at work, and I became very anxious, felt a lot of fear etc. I took 7 of those 25 mg pills between 10 : 30 AM and 3 AM (during the night following that awful day), it was just enough to stop me to cry...

I don't know your age and I don't know if you have hepatic or other pathologies, but 25 mg seems a weak dosage for anxiety.
I hope you will feel better quickly :mad:
please excuse my poor english
Past meds :
AD : citalopram, doxepin (little effective sleep aid), anti-anxiety/sleep aid : hydroxyzine, stimulant : ritaline
failed meds :
mirtazapine (no effect on mood, just an awful headache from the fisrt taking untill last taking), bromazepam (you want to get me angry ? give me 2 quarters of a bromazepam pill), valerian + aubepin... (I can swallow 10 of these pills or more, I feel no effect), buspirone (for rage ?), sodium valproate,alprazolam, as sleep aid : amitriptyline, mianserin, alprazolam.

#6 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

25 mgs is a very low dose. Check with pdoc about upping it or switching to something else. Low dose of Seroquel might be better.

Current Meds:  Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#7 apetasticaL

apetasticaL

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar NOS
  • Current Meds:abilify, lamictal, topamax

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

i have been prescribed 25mg hydroxyzine PRN for anxiety while i was forcefully committed and pregnant, because apparently it was the only thing they could feed me in my condition. it was just -barely- enough to keep me from bouncing off the walls, but that was an extremely stressful situation to begin with. i was also on 50mg at bedtime for insomnia and anxiety, but i was told to use it PRN for anxiety. i noticed a mild sedating effect, but no different than like 100mg of diphenhydramine, which would make sense considering they are both antihistamines.

i hate CSBs who can't prescribe benzos. *sigh*

Edited by apetasticaL, 25 February 2012 - 06:18 PM.

smiling despair. no solution, but constantly exercising an authority over myself that i know is useless. the essential thing is not to lose oneself, and not to lose that part of oneself that lies sleeping in the world. -albert camus

axis I dx: bipolar NOS
rx: lamotrigine 200, aripiprazole 15, topiramate 100

past rx: lithium carbonate, divalproex sodium, gabapentin, levetiracetam, paroxetine, fluoxetine, doxepin, trazodone, quetiapine, paliperidone, ziprasidone, risperidone, olanzapine, trifluoperazine, methylphenidate, phenobarbital, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam, clonazepam, lorazepam, temazepam, buspirone, hydroxyzine, zolpidem, ramelteon

#8 VisualSnow

VisualSnow

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Diagnoses:Migraine, Anxiety, RLS, Akathisia
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Zofran, Protonix, Mirapex

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Vistaril can worsen movement disorders in some people, so if you already have akathisia or something, maybe it is fueling it a bit? Regardless, you need to get in contact with your doctor ASAP and let him or her know what is going on. Especially if you trust your doctor, it's better to get input and alternate options from them rather than playing around with the dosages of your meds on your own. I have only taken Vistaril for GI issues, and it had no effect on my anxiety, but some do have luck with it. It sounds like the current setup isn't working for you, so it's time to get input from the doc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog