Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Transition From One Generic Manufacturer To Another....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GrayEyes777

GrayEyes777

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Depressive Disorder ???
  • Current Meds:Prozac 40 mg/Trazodone 50 mg/.5 mg of Xanax at bedtime

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

I need help with this.

I've been taking generic Trazodone made by Mylan for YEARS, works like a charm. No problem whatsoever with it.

Now Mylan has discontinued making it and I've had another manufacturer sent to me (I think it was "Apotex"?).

Anyway, I tried just switching from one to another overnight as if there would be no problem. No such luck, not when it comes to me and my sensitivity to any possible changes in my "cocktail".

So while I still have some old Mylan pills left over, I'm wondering if there might be an easier way to transition. Because the day after I took the new Apotex pill was the day I felt like complete shit, anxiety, panic attacks, headache, nausea - all the classic withdrawal symptoms. So my assumption is my body is reacting not just to the new pill but still craving the "old pill" also. (Hey, tell me if I'm wrong here, just my rational head thinking about this).

So since I take 50 mg at bedtime, I was wondering if I could mix 25 mg of Mylan with 25 mg of Apotex and gradually get off the Mylan that way. ????

Or should I just jump cold turkey and deal with the crappy symptoms in whatever way necessary?

This totally bites.....but I'd appreciate any recommendations! :mad:
Current Meds: Prozac 40 mg, Seroquel 50 mg for sleep, Xanax

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Tryn

Tryn

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Enabler
  • 390 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:23 AM

I would think that splitting the dose between the two manufacturers is a good idea. It will give your body some time to slowly adjust to the new chemicals that are being introduced.

Are the pills in a form that is easily split?

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,399 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

I would not expect many withdrawal problems from Trazodone

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvanse 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 16 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#4 GrayEyes777

GrayEyes777

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Depressive Disorder ???
  • Current Meds:Prozac 40 mg/Trazodone 50 mg/.5 mg of Xanax at bedtime

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, most "normal" people don't get Trazodone withdrawal symptoms - unfortunately, I'm one of those super sensitive people that feels EVERYTHING (I've had to "wean" myself off Trazodone before). I just didn't expect to feel such a difference between two different generics.

Girrl88, yes, both pills are easily split. I think I'll try it that way and hope for the best!
Current Meds: Prozac 40 mg, Seroquel 50 mg for sleep, Xanax

#5 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

I just didn't expect to feel such a difference between two different generics.

That's why I've kept writing, since 2004, that big pharma, and various groups like the AMA, have been lying about all generics being equal and generics being the same as brand. That there can be significant differences between generics is all over the page on brand vs. generic drugs.

Girrl88, yes, both pills are easily split.

According to the NIH page on Apotex's trazodone, their flavor of it isn't scored. You can tell if it's Apotex if it has APO and T50 as the imprints.

From the NIH site. Mylan's inert ingredients: SILICON DIOXIDE MAGNESIUM STEARATE CELLULOSE, MICROCRYSTALLINE STARCH, CORN SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE SODIUM STARCH GLYCOLATE TYPE A POTATO FERRIC OXIDE YELLOW

Apotex inert ingredients: FERUMOXSIL MAGNESIUM STEARATE CELLULOSE, MICROCRYSTALLINE STARCH, CORN SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE SODIUM STARCH GLYCOLATE TYPE A POTATO

If Apotex did make it and the inactive ingredients are the same as what the NIH has listed, ferumoxsil must not be as stable as silicon dioxide. Or something like that. You're getting into pharmacokinetic chemistry that is way over my head.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#6 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

And rule of thumb: if a tablet isn't scored, then splitting it will screw up the pharmacokinetics even more. So expect the results to be less predictable.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog