Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Batshit Crazy mug
Batshit Crazy

Lexapro (Cipralex, Seroplex, Lexamil, Etc.) Vs. Escitalopram

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Rifke

In_Remission_Rifke
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi! I was just wondering whether anyone knows of any studies comaring Lexapro with the generic escitalopram as well as whether anyone's willing to share personal experiences.

Many thanx.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 ohboy

ohboy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 20 mg; Bupropion XR 150

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

I began taking the Mylan generic at the begining of this month. I take bupropion and like it so I was happy about getting the price break of the generic. However, after about a week my mood worsened despite being on vacation with friends. I think it has continued to worsen. Today, I called the doc to switch back to name brand Lexapro. Hopefully, I will be back to my normal soon.

#3 beek

beek

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lithium 600, Lexapro 20

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

I am about to take my first dose of the generic 20mg Teva version.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Past meds: Lamictal, Celexa, Seroquel, Rispirdal, Abilify, Duloxetine, Geodon, Lorazepam, Clozapine, Inderal, Clonazepam, Lunesta, Ambien, Rozerem.
Posted Image

#4 psicozzy

psicozzy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar type II
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine + Venlafaxine

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

It drove me into a deep depression as I'm a type II bipolar refratary to most antidepressants.
But I have friends that take it and love it.
Don't believe everything you think

#5 American Idle

American Idle

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Recurrent Depressive Disorder with Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, Welbutrin, Ativan as needed

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about this seeing how widely Lexapro is prescribed and how eagerly I for one awaited generic, at least while under crappy insurance.

I started generic two weeks ago, and I have to say I've been fighting depression pangs for the first time in a couple of years. Notice I say "pangs" which is how I describe Whale Shit On the Bottom of the Ocean. I still occasionally struggle with the can't motivate myself to do shit depression, but Lexapro generally kept the other stuff in check.

That said, when I do go through major bouts of depression pangs it's usually this time of year, so I'm going to give it a month or so before I conclude it's the generic doing it.

#6 ohboy

ohboy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 20 mg; Bupropion XR 150

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

I switched back to the name brand and have seen my mood start to come back up. I wonder if its just the Mylan version with issues. Interested to hear if other generics work.

#7 itsalisap

itsalisap

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety Disorder and PMD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro - now generic ;o(

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

I have been on Lexapro since September of 2011 and made hugh strides in GAD, which I didn't realize was my problem all along - another doctor didn't want to "label" me so said I just had really bad PMS, which I do, but I knew it was much more. A switch in doctors and from prozac to Lexapro has given me my life back, I'm me again, my concentration is improved, I want to go out more, I do not have panic attacks it has been wonderful....then..Along came the generic form....slowly all my strides in improvement have gone so far down hill, I cannot stand it. Makes me upset, the anxiety is back, the anger from the anxiety is back...the I cannot do anything because I'm so overwhelmed is back and to top it all off I'm itching all over - without a rash - and without a change in any soaps, shampoos, detergents, or foods. The generic just doesn't work for me. I've called my doctor and I want back on Lexapro nongeneric. What is the different between the generic and the name brand? Is it the inactive ingredients? I want to be happy me again and stop all this itching nonsense!

Oh and when switched from prozac to Lexapro, my blood pressure came down so much I had to get off the bp meds. without bp meds my bp with Lexapro was about 112/78 and now it is rising again, I don't want back on the bp meds......

Anybody else having these problems or can answer the question of why?

#8 springacres

springacres

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Really glad to know I am not the only one having issues with switching to Escalitopram from Lexapro. I had been on Lexapro for years and my GAD was very much under control. Midway through last week, I refilled my prescription and they gave me a 3 month supply of the generic, made by Mylan. The difference is so noticeable that within a day or two I was wondering if I had skipped a dose - anxiety was back, I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and the worst part was that when I spoke to the pharmacist about my concerns today he gave me the runaround.

I then called my doctor about the issues, asking to be switched back to brand-name Lexapro. I hope they can do it quickly - the last thing I want is to spend the next 3 months in an anxiety-ridden, sleep-deprived state.

#9 springacres

springacres

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Interesting... I have no idea how recently this information has been updated, but here's what I found on the FDA site with regards to therapeutic equivalents of Lexapro: (screenshots linked due to size)
http://www.diigo.com...6mp/avkb?size=o

Information on Mylan's generic version:
http://www.diigo.com...6mp/e6ab?size=o

This may or may not still be relevant, as I have no idea when the site was last updated or what studies may have been completed since then, but it does make me wonder about the possible efficacy or lack thereof of Mylan's version at least.

#10 itsalisap

itsalisap

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

yeah, my problem was that I cannot digest lactose and covers the medication I so desperately needed. I'm back on the Lexapro, but only for a few days now...Hang in there my doc says...she was amazed about the differences...at least in the generic made by TEVA that I was on. this little tiny warning saved me:

The coating of Escitalopram contains lactose monohydrate. If you have been told by your doctor that

you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.

This warning was no where on the bottle...good greif it almost did me in. I believe because a lot of people have this common allergy this warning should be sprayed all over the bottle! At least my doctor is working with me and when i showed her the pamphlet I found on the FDA website and this little small print blurb hidden, she was amazed. I went without any of the active ingredients of lexapro for about 6 weeks and I litterly thought I was going insane until I found this.

This is a total list of the ingrediant in the generic from Mylan:

The active substance is escitalopram

One tablet contains 5/10/15 or 20 mg of escitalopram (as oxalate). The other ingredients are:

Tablet core:

microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal anhydrous silica, talc, croscarmellose sodium and magnesium

stearate.

The coating contains lactose monohydrate, macrogol 4000, titanium dioxide (E171) and

hypromellose.

Worst case senario, maybe if you are lactose intollerant, if you cannot afford the name brand you could take a lactaid pill with it...at least the enzymes will be there to dissolve the crazy tablet.

#11 springacres

springacres

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Wow, thanks for that information itsallsap. That could definitely be it as I am lactose intolerant. The warning was not on my prescription bottle anywhere and you're right, it should definitely be there. I'm not severely intolerant but that could definitely be why I'm not getting the effects.

[Edit] And thanks for the tip, though lactaid pills are far more expensive than the price difference between the name brand and generic, it's definitely something worth trying if I can't get my insurance to cover a new prescription.

Edited by springacres, 15 May 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#12 martasi2

martasi2

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

And thanks for the tip, though lactaid pills are far more expensive than the price difference between the name brand and generic, it's definitely something worth trying if I can't get my insurance to cover a new prescription.

Some retailers (like Target and CVS) sell their own lactase supplements. .They're the same as Lactaid and a lot cheaper.

#13 medinfoseeker

medinfoseeker

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:PMDD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

I was recently switched to the Escitalopram and experienced HORRIBLE side effects. I was freaking out at first because I had been on Lexapro for probably 4 1/2 years with NO anxiety/depression issues (I suffer from PMDD and my cycle issues and depression were pretty much gone). The Escitalopram made by Mylan cannot be the same! I had worse issues that I originally had when I wasn't on Lexapro. I am now back on Leaxpro and its slowly getting better. I wish the pharmacy was better aware of the issues. I have recently been looking for others who have had the same issues just to know that I am not alone!

#14 itsalisap

itsalisap

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

You are definitely not alone! I'm back on Lexapro and after 7 days, I notice a little difference and I'm hopeful all will be back to normal soon. In addition to the coating being different on the two pills the name brand has two suspension agents and the generic one. Everyone's body is different and on some people, the generic just doesn't work. I've been leery of inactive ingredients and they role with medications when I asked my vet the difference between the generic Frontline and the one I get from him. He said the active ingredient is the same but the extra money you pay is for the inactive ingredient which spreads the medication all over the dogs coat evenly. So small dogs or ones who are not as sensitive to tics and flees were fine, but bigger dogs like mine, well their head didn't each but their behind sure did. Basically they are not the same because every ingredient and how the ingredients interact with each other are different. Im my case I couldn't even get there because I could digest the coating, but I bet even if I didn't it wouldn't work the same...too many differences in the inactive ingredients.

#15 ArizonaMan

ArizonaMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Diagnoses:Combined Adult ADHD secondary to Anxiety NOS
  • Current Meds:Buspar 15mg 3x day

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

From Teva's PI:

What are the ingredients in escitalopram?
Active ingredient: escitalopram oxalate, USP
Inactive ingredients: corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, mannitol, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol and titanium dioxide.
This Medication Guide has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Manufactured In India By:
CIPLA LTD.
Kurkumbh, India
Manufactured For:
TEVA PHARMACEUTICALS USA
Sellersville, PA 18960

I am allergic to corn so no Teva. Mylan and Forest Lab's Escitalopram have identical ingredients according to each of their PI's.

From Forest Labs PI:
What are the ingredients in Lexapro?
Active ingredient: escitalopram oxalate
Inactive ingredients:
Tablets: talc, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose/colloidal silicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate.
The film coating contains hypromellose, titanium dioxide, and polyethylene glycol.

From Mylan's PI:
What are the ingredients in escitalopram tablets?
Active ingredient: escitalopram oxalate
Inactive ingredients:
Tablets: talc, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose/colloidal silicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate.
The film coating contains hypromellose, titanium dioxide, and polyethylene glycol.

WalMart. $413 vs. $316 for 90 days so I may try the Mylan to save $100 month. Getting a new script on Monday. Wish me luck!
:smiley:

#16 modestman240

modestman240

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD,Anxiety Disorder NOS, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Zoloft, Clonazepam, Seroquel

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Isn't brand name cipralex pretty cheap? I remember when I was on it, it was around 16$ or so for 20 MG tablets.

Current psych Meds: Zoloft 100 MG, Seroquel 150MG, Clonazepam 1MGX3 daily (2 MG more as needed)

Non Psych Meds: Percocet 5/325, UltramER (Tramadol 100MG)

Previous AD's: Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR, Cymbalta,Sertraline

Previous Benzos & Anxiolytics: Lorazepam, Alprazolam, Buspar

AAPS: Seroquel XR, Rispidone,Abilify

Gradually, then suddenly.' That's how depression hits. You wake up one morning, afraid that you're gonna live.

#17 ArizonaMan

ArizonaMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Isn't brand name cipralex pretty cheap? I remember when I was on it, it was around 16$ or so for 20 MG tablets.

Cipralex is certainly cheaper but after I ordered it from a Canadian Pharmacy, faxed them my Rx and received a call the next day from some pharmacy not of the same name telling me my Cipralex would be coming from Turkey, not 90 but 82 tabs and I had to re-fax my Rx to a number not at all listed from my original pharmacy, I cancelled. Trust me, I would have worried even 2 months into taking it. I like the good old U.S. NDC numbers on my bottles Walmart instead of packets from Turkey that look like samples of only God knows what (even if the Walmart ones are made in Turkey!) Plus, I can't be having my meds sitting in a hot Arizona sun mailbox until I pick them up.

#18 Ink

Ink

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:Generalized anxiety, panic disorder
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, Atenolol, Ativan PRN

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I've been on Lexapro for years and thus am very familiar with how I feel on it. I switched to the generic about 2 months ago. I had no problems the first month. The second month my pharmacy switched from one generic supplier to another. I only noticed this because the pills look different - I don't know who the first manufacturer was but the current one is Teva. In the last week or two I've started to feel like I do when I try to quit Lexapro. Anxious, rushes of overwhelming adrenaline, hopeless, nightmares, feeling bleak. I don't feel like this when I'm on Lexapro.

I feel like it must be a coincidence since the active ingredient is the same, but I'm really starting to get suspicious that the generic isn't helping me.

Edit: I just spoke with my psychiatrist who says he can't rule out that the generic is affecting me differently. He called in a script for brand name only. We shall see what happens.

Edited by Ink, 08 June 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#19 itsalisap

itsalisap

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

The inactive ingrediants play a huge role in how the drug works or fails to work. The TVA generic has only one of the two suspension ingrediants as the name brand. After I have been back on the name brand Lexapro for 12 days everything went back to normal, but 6 weeks of not being able to get to the Lexapro (thus the lactose coating I couldn't digest) has ran a tole on me. The sooner you ask to be placed back on the name brand, the sooner you will feel better. i know from before I started Lexapro and then from being on it, life doesn't have to be so rough, you don't have to feel that way. Ask your doctor, if it isn't working you are doing yourself more harm than good.

#20 arieswmn

arieswmn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 50 mg. Lamictal 150 mg. Fish Oil.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

recently switched back to brand name from generic and feeling a whole lot better. generic was very very different, and subpar, in my experience.

previous drugs
Lexapro, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Keppra, Trileptal, Prozac.

#21 meems1997

meems1997

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy, PMDD, GAD NOS
  • Current Meds:Depakote, Topamax, Lexapro, Deplin

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

My pharmacy automagically switched me to escitalopram two months ago when it first became available. Even my pdoc wasn't aware it was out quite yet. Anyhow, the first month went ok. The second month didn't. I didn't have any breakthough psychiatric symptoms -- I don't think -- but the drug side effects were back with a vengeance, especially the midday munchies and overall sluggishness that my pdoc had worked so hard to eliminate by tweaking my dosage.

So, just today, when I refilled my prescription, I switched back to brand name. When I see the doc, I'll ask her to write the script as brand name medically necessary. It's extremely frustrating, though -- I'm paying $135/mo more in copays because my insurance considers brand name as "off formulary" when there's an available generic. I love generics as much as the next person, but I can't afford to put my seizure control or my anxiety/depression control at risk.

Also, I didn't think to look into the lactose inactive ingredient in the escitalopram, but it makes a lot of sense. I am lactose intolerant to the point where lactase does absolutely nothing for me. Topamax also has lactose as an inactive ingredient but I have to deal with that one... the escitalopram was -- no doubt -- pushing my entire system over the edge.

Edited by meems1997, 01 July 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#22 meems1997

meems1997

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy, PMDD, GAD NOS
  • Current Meds:Depakote, Topamax, Lexapro, Deplin

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

4 days back on brand name and I feel normal again -- sleeping ok, eating better, and yes, my mood is better. I guess I was feeling a little more out of things than I thought I was.

#23 hiltonusa

hiltonusa

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro now Escitalopram

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Oh sweet relief!

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes because I thought it was just me.
I had been on Lexapro for about 1 1/2 years and it was life changing. From parenting to starting a new job. Then when I became pregnant with my third child I weaned off of the meds. Apparently the generic became available somewhere in there because when I picked up my first prescript after the birth of my son I was delighted to hear her say $10 compared to the $40 it previously cost me. My delight has turned to despair, I just haven't got back to where I was. I keep saying it has only been 6 months give it time. But I never had the headaches that I have been getting and someone mentioned about the itchiness. I never would have put that together. I am 34 years old and I had my mother check me for lice because of how itchy my head is. Thank you to all who posted about this. I will be making the call to my Dr today to get switched back. Perhaps I can start my transition back to human now!

#24 ArizonaMan

ArizonaMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

The research I discovered was that there are hundreds of reports where the Mylan and Teva generics of Lexapro causes problems with patients. The most common with Teva is a gradual worsening of anxiety *and* panic symptoms that do not go away after 2 months on the generic. Mylan's most common are exactly what I am having, an almost 24 hour tiredness, lack of motivation, hot flashes, more sweating than with the original Lexapro, brain fog and weight gain. The explanation that makes most sense to me is that the generics, although supposedly the same amount of the same ingredient, are not manufactured the same and therefore are processed by the liver in a different way than the brand name drug. The people whose symptoms are the same on the generic as they were before starting any form of Lexapro, are actually experiencing withdrawal symptoms before the generic "kicks in." In my case, even after a full 2 months on the Mylan generic, I had only a few of my old symptoms and I have managed them well but I have been working on managing with new techniques. However, I was never this continually tired and un-motivated, never. :lipsrsealed:

On good notes, it seems just a bit easier to orgasm than on brand Lex but still takes a long time. The build up is longer but the orgasm itself does not seem as strong. Also, I seem to be actually listening to people instead of wanting to butt in with what is running through my mind and afterwards I don't seem to obsess over what I did or did not say. :smiley:

I guess with Psych Drugs it seems we are forced to choose which type of hell we prefer. :o

:dankk2:

#25 maxz7

maxz7

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Lexapro

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

I was recently switched, "without notice" from my regular Lexapro to the Mylan generic version due to my Insurance companies policy guidelines. I really did not think about it at first and actually was not concerned when it happened. After about two weeks I started to have odd feelings and ab occasional return of panic as well as a bit of dizziness. It is not a good a feeling! No matter what the cost is, I am going back to my regular Lexapro next week and I am hopeful that it will result in a return to feeling normal? At least normal for me.

#26 drjhix

drjhix

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 10mg

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

I may be the first to say I love how I feel taking the new generic Lexapro from Mylan. I knew something was different after about 7-10 days on the generic. I have had almost the complete opposite effect as most people posting. In the last month I have gotten out and did things I would never have done before, made a couple new friends, and am overall a happier person. I have lost about 8 pounds and my sex life went from non-existent to great, my husband thinks he is married to a new woman.

I have felt just a little anxious or panicky but not enough that a deep breath won't help. Do they ever recall new generics? I surely hope not, I never want to go back to the original Lexapro.

#27 ArizonaMan

ArizonaMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

I may be the first to say I love how I feel taking the new generic Lexapro from Mylan. I knew something was different after about 7-10 days on the generic. I have had almost the complete opposite effect as most people posting. In the last month I have gotten out and did things I would never have done before, made a couple new friends, and am overall a happier person. I have lost about 8 pounds and my sex life went from non-existent to great, my husband thinks he is married to a new woman.

I have felt just a little anxious or panicky but not enough that a deep breath won't help. Do they ever recall new generics? I surely hope not, I never want to go back to the original Lexapro.

Good to hear it (Mylan) is working for some people.
I thought what I was experiencing was withdrawal and then having to wait until the generic kicked in. For me, with any dose increase, it takes 6-8 weeks. After 8 1/2 weeks on Mylan, I finally had to admit to myself that it is SHIT. Nearly all my symptoms came back, to a lesser degree but they continued to get worse. PLUS, my blood pressure had gone up, I was sweating more than usual, gained weight, had diarrhea continually, and although I thought I was sleeping better, I really was not.
Back on name-brand Forest Labs Lex, it took a full week and a half to start feeling better again. BP is down, diarrhea has stopped, dreams are not as vivid (I don't remember them and therefore don't feel like I did not sleep), I am laughing again and don't feel like a zombie. I get up out of bed and go.
I swear, as i put in previous posts in this topic and others, Mylan has exactly the same ingredients as Forest Labs but they clearly are *not* equalivalent and/or their manufacturing facilities are also shit!

I still have one of the original bottles of the Mylan and it has all of the official U.S. stuff on it but it sure is shit.

Although their corporate headquarters are in the U.S. from http://www.mylan.com...ngredients.aspx

Based in Hyderabad, India, Mylan Laboratories Limited has several operating units, including a network of API and intermediate manufacturing facilities in India and China. Its subsidiaries include Matrix Laboratories N.V., Matrix Pharma Group (Xiamen) Limited and Astrix Laboratories LTD.

Again, I am glad it worked for a few people and I hope it continues to do so but we all have to do what we have to do.

Edited by ArizonaMan, 04 August 2012 - 05:05 AM.

#28 walkercks

walkercks

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:Clinical depression, anxiety, and migraines
  • Current Meds:Dexedrine, generic Lexapro, clonazepam, verapamil

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

I am so glad to find that I found this website and am not the only one having problems with the generic form of Lexapro! I have been taking Lexapro for so long I can't remember when I started it but switched to the generic by Mylan in April. In June, my migraines started to increase and I have had a migraine for 47 days and counting. I finally got in to see my neurologist and she felt that the depression and anxiety weren't under control and that's why I couldn't get rid of the migraine.
After I left her office, I was talking with my daughter who has bi-polar disorder and was also switched from Lexapro to the generic form and she mentioned that she has really been struggling since Spring to keep her moods balanced. That's when I realized both of our problems had begun about a month after we switched to the generic; I'm calling our doctor in the morning and having him switch it back to Lexapro! It will cost more but I would rather pay that than spend most of my life in bed with migraines and making life more difficult for my daughter than it already is!!!

I'm really glad the generic is working for some of you

#29 ArizonaMan

ArizonaMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

I am so glad to find that I found this website and am not the only one having problems with the generic form of Lexapro! I have been taking Lexapro for so long I can't remember when I started it but switched to the generic by Mylan in April. In June, my migraines started to increase and I have had a migraine for 47 days and counting. I finally got in to see my neurologist and she felt that the depression and anxiety weren't under control and that's why I couldn't get rid of the migraine.
After I left her office, I was talking with my daughter who has bi-polar disorder and was also switched from Lexapro to the generic form and she mentioned that she has really been struggling since Spring to keep her moods balanced. That's when I realized both of our problems had begun about a month after we switched to the generic; I'm calling our doctor in the morning and having him switch it back to Lexapro! It will cost more but I would rather pay that than spend most of my life in bed with migraines and making life more difficult for my daughter than it already is!!!

I'm really glad the generic is working for some of you

Welcome to crazymeds!
That reminded me that I have been almost headache free my entire life except for the occasional sinus headache that forces me to bed for the day, maybe once every 2 or 3 years. On Mylan Lex, I had constant headaches. They were minor headaches but constant.
Thanks for your post.

#30 sircuit

sircuit

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1 and ADD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 300mg, Seroquel 50mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 200mg

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm in Canada and get Cipralex from Lundbeck in Montreal. I assume this is the original....same as Lexapro. Am I correct?

Edited by sircuit, 29 August 2012 - 04:36 PM.

• Tried; Parnate, Celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Pristiq, Nardil, Manerix, Tegratol, Lamictal, Seroquel, Lithum, Zyprexa, Tofranil, Cipralex, Serzone, Remeron, Norpramin,Luvox, Pamelor, Topamax, etc., etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"If all the world's a stage, where does the audience sit?" George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions