Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

How Long Will The Increased Libido Last?

sex libido bupropion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 m.pilar

m.pilar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Diagnoses:Psychotic Depression (perhaps Schizo'), ADHD, Low Testosterone
  • Current Meds:Test Cyp 150UI EOD, hCG 250UI EOD, Abilify 20mg, Mirtazapine 45mg, Suboxone 6mg, Dexedrine PRN

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

For those who experienced a positive sexual side effect from bupropion, was it a temporary shift or a treament-long uptick?

Please tell us the dose, and If it was temporary, the duration!

Background: I had moderately less interest in sex on sertraline. No trouble orgasming. Depression supresses sex drive to begin with - for me, at least. I'm trying to eliminate both inhibitors. Starting XL150.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 jackkgoeswilde

jackkgoeswilde

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Current Meds:wellbutrin

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

When I first started bupropion at 100mg and tapered up to 300mg, I had a really increased libido. After a few months at 300mg, it seemed to even out and I had a "normal" libido for 4-5 months. Then the med crapped out on me and I bumped up to 400mg and my libido went byebye. That's just my experience, I assume it's hit-or-miss and different for everyone.

However, I do know that bupropion is commonly prescribed as an add-on to SSRIs because of it's ability to reawaken libido. Good luck, I hope it works for you!

Edited by jackkgoeswilde, 30 December 2011 - 09:57 PM.

come as you are.

#3 In_Remission_phototkr

In_Remission_phototkr
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hello this is my first reply!
I have been on Welbutrin for about 5-6 years and at first there was an awesome spirt of higher libido and then it has leveled out & stayed about the same until i got a new doc & she dropped me from 300mg to 150...but it still it hasnt dropped it so low that i dont want to at all.

#4 m.pilar

m.pilar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Current Meds:Test Cyp 150UI EOD, hCG 250UI EOD, Abilify 20mg, Mirtazapine 45mg, Suboxone 6mg, Dexedrine PRN

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Interesting. It seems like one of those things where there's a 'just right' range and anything above or below is detrimental. (Based off of your responses and what I've read elsewhere.)

I'll update when I have a better idea - this is only day two for me.

Welcome, TKR!

#5 m.pilar

m.pilar

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

I always appreciate when people check back after they ask about something then try it:

Exactly four weeks on Wellbutrin so far. We started at 150mg and I quickly knew that wouldn't work - about 300mg for the other three weeks.

No negative side effects. Seriously. I'm a little short tempered but not much more than usual. Not enough to count as a side effect.

No manic sex drive either. I think my sex drive is attenuated by the dexedrine I take for ADD? I'm assuming that's why I didn't notice a positive effect from Wellbutrin.

It doesn't seem to be helping with depression, but it's only been four weeks. I chose Wellbutrin because I feel a lot of my depression could be mitigated with increased energy. That's my number one symptom; fatigue.

#6 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

No manic sex drive either. I think my sex drive is attenuated by the dexedrine I take for ADD? I'm assuming that's why I didn't notice a positive effect from Wellbutrin.

It doesn't seem to be helping with depression, but it's only been four weeks. I chose Wellbutrin because I feel a lot of my depression could be mitigated with increased energy. That's my number one symptom; fatigue.

There's a lot of overlap in how amphetamines and Wellbutrin work, so it's not surprising that Wellbutrin didn't do anything for you.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#7 forgetmenot

forgetmenot

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar type), GAD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Wellbutrin XL, Haldol, Saphris

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

the increase in libido lasted for me about a month and then dropped off..

*sigh*

current rx: wellbutrin xl 450 mg, lamictal 300 mg, Haldol 0.5 mg, Saphris 5 mg

celexa, prozac, navane, xanax, klonopin, vistaril, effexor xr, lithium, abilify, benztropine, buspar, risperidone, trazadone, cogentin, latuda

#8 zachdaddy

zachdaddy

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Diagnoses:Adult ADD / Anxiety
  • Current Meds:none

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

I'm getting worried ...   I started on Wellbutrin about a week ago - no other medication.  My erection issues have been on and off since my mid-40s and the reason I wouldn't take blood pressure meds or anything else were that pretty much anything that COULD affect my sexual performance DID affect it.  I thought Wellbutrin would be different based on everything that I've read up until now, but if it also has a negative sexual side effect I won't take it any longer. 

Wow - this sucks - I really thought I was on the right track.

#9 DontTryThisAtHomeKids

DontTryThisAtHomeKids

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Diagnoses:major depression, PTSD, anxiety, ADHD, insomia, EDNOS (atypical anorexia)
  • Current Meds:wellbutrin trazadone

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:22 AM

my libido took a while to pick up
it was non existent when i started it
and i was in the bin, and it didnt pick up there
once i got out and started talking to the boyfriend
it got back to normal. but my normal is also very high. My normal is fabulous

if you don't like me, CONGRATULATIONS, find the others and maybe you can start a club.

thumb.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog