Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Vyvanse Crash

vyvanse crash side effects

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_meredith

In_Remission_meredith
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

Hi, I'm currently taking Vyvanse for my ADD/ADHD and the crash coming off of it is TERRIBLE. I started on 30 mg, but after a week they weren't working anymore so my doctor increased my dosage to 40 mg & 50 mg (she wrote me a prescription for both and told me to use whichever worked better). I wait until I get to work around 9 am to take them because I don't get off until around 6 and I can already tell that it's wearing off then so I don't want to take it any earlier. By the time 7:30 rolls around I can't do anything. I feel terrible; I don't want to move, eat, go anywhere. All I can do is watch TV or go to bed. Also, I consistently wake up around 2 am, especially if I try to go to bed early (before midnight), and can't get back to sleep. I've also noticed that when I take the 50 mg dose I become evil and irritable. I work with children so that's definitely not OK! Does anyone have any advice for another medication I should try? I've tried Adderall XR, but I moved and my new doctor thought that Vyvanse was a better, "smoother" alternative and with the current Adderall shortage I didn't mind. I've also tried Wellbutrin as a non-stimulant alternative, but that made me more irritable that you can imagine. I'm going back to the doctor next week, help please!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 bergsonisme

bergsonisme

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Diagnoses:F31, F44, F82, F90
  • Current Meds:LTG, CPZ, Li2CO3, MFL

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:19 AM

I hear the crashes from the amphetamines (which I never took) are worse, but the crash from Ritalin was still pretty bad for me. I found peace of mind with Provigil, even though it's quite less potent than Ritalin. But Provigil is a drug of wonder; I can forget to take it and feel nothing except being cognitively tired earlier in the afternoon (say, 15:30 rather than 17:30).
I'm off the bus. I randomized my password punching the keyboard and copying-and-pasting it.

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

Maybe a small dose of immediate acting amphetamine in the afternoon to carry you through the early evening ? That is what I do.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#4 bells

bells

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD-y, depression-y, social anxiety-ish nonsense

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

When your doctor tells you to take Vyvanse with a meal, they aren't fucking around and in my experience, should be saying AFTER a meal. Certainly I feel better taking the pill in the middle of a meal as opposed to before, but taking it 30-45min after eating hits a really, well, smooth spot for me. Taking it any other way just leads to varying degrees of feeling shitty.

I do drink black coffee in the morning and I can't tell if it screws with Vyvanse the way acidic foods do with Adderall.

Hope that helps. I'm not sure what your current routine is for taking it. Vyvanse can be a very smooth drug in my experience, but it can be hell trying to figure out precisely what it needs to get along with your body. It may not be worth it to take the time to figure that out as opposed to switching to something else.

Edited by bells, 08 January 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Current: Vyvanse 80mg, Lamictal 150mg, Cymbalta 30mg (discontinuing), nortriptyline 25mg 3x/day trazodone 25rmg, 0.5-1mg Klonopin, Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, propranalol 40mg 2x/day, Flonase.

Calcium/vitamin D, multivitamin, ~super B-complex~ (mostly for B6).

Past: Lexapro, Zoloft, Prozac, Abilify, Buspar, Ativan, doxepin, Adderall, Concerta, Ritalin, Lexapro.

#5 bluedog

bluedog

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 40 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP2
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine 75 mg

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

My pdoc wanted me to try Daytrana, a patch, instead of Vyvanse. I did not want to try it, but probably some people here can add their experience with Daytrana.

I just took a peek at their website and it says it's for children and adolescents...hmm.

#6 chiara

chiara

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I; ADHD
  • Current Meds:Pristiq (50), Topamax (100), Clonidine (.4), Lamictal (working up to 100), Adderall (30)

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

vyvanse has worked for some people but i got moody and felt violent at the end of the day. my pdoc told me that he had been hearing similar stories. ask your doctor about some other extended release medications. i think it has to do with vyvanse. i wasn't on that for more than a few weeks.
Past meds:
AD: Prozac, Zoloft, Serzone, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Strattera, Paxil
AP: Risperdal, Seroquel, Abilify, Saphris, Latuda
MS: Lamictal, Depakote, Trileptal, Lithium (gave me a rash)
Others: Ambien, Rozerem, Trazodone

#7 paralegal73

paralegal73

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, depression, anxiety, OCD, ADHD
  • Current Meds:50 mg Buspar, 150 mg Wellbutrin, 1 mg Xanax, 1 mg Klonopin, 40 mg Vyvanse, 25 mg nortriptyline

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

I've read that the halflife of Vyvanse is pretty long, like 16 hours. On days when I take it, I have trouble falling asleep, even with 40 mg of Buspar, and when I finally do, I only sleep for 5 hours. A few nights in a row like that and then I end up crashing out and sleeping for 10-12 hours to "catch up," I guess. If I definitely have to sleep (like have something to do the next day), I'll take 1/2 Saphris to get to sleep, but even then that only lasts about 6 1/2 hours.

I started Vyvanse last year. I was up to 60mg per day, but I felt like I was having a heart attack. I was also drinking every night (yea...don't do that) and there is a nasty reaction with alcohol and Vyvanse. The rebound anxiety was awful, so again, don't do what I did. I find that I can't tolerate wine or liquor with Vyvanse, but beer is okay, but only if I take the Vyvanse waaaaay early in the day and I drink a lot of water with my beer. So, again, don't recommend alcohol with amphetamines.

I now take 40mg per day as soon as I get up, before I eat. I feel the boost after about an hour. It helps with motivation and mood, but I can feel myself "fall off" by early afternoon. It keeps me awake, but I'm fidgety and I'm usually not tired at bedtime on the days I use it. I've even tried splitting the dose into 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 in the afternoon. I think I'll stick to using it "academically," as my therapist says.
Meds I've tried: Paxil (ineffective, couldn't sneeze), Zoloft (took for 10 years, little improvement, stopped working), Ambien (felt great, but I drew weird pictures, said strange things and scared my wife), Lunesta (did nothing), Sonata (did nothing), Viibryd (sexual side effects), Effexor (slight improvement, but sexual side effects), Abilify (did nothing), Lamictal (when they thought I was BPII)

#8 Bipolar Bear

Bipolar Bear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I or II, depending on who you ask
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 200, Ultram, Vyvanse 50 mg, klonopin .5 mg prn

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

I've had pretty awesome luck with it so far. WAY better than adderall, and worlds away from ritalin. The dramatic crash from ritalin, for me, was unbearable and erased any positives I was getting. Adderall was better, but I still felt a dramatic rise and fall from it. I've had much better luck with Vyvanse, personally. Depending on which shift I have, I either take it at 4:30 am or 7:00 am- either way, I set my alarm for 1 hour before having to get up, and that way I'm ready to go when I do get up. I guess I've never taken it with food- I wonder if that would change my experience, based on other people's input.

If you're liking it except for the crash, I second the idea of an immediate release, small dose of adderall or the like. That might just be enough to get you through the day.

I work in a preschool with 12-18 month olds and the biggest problem I had for the first week or two was I'd crash at the end of the day- because I was dehydrated and hungry. Now that I have built a meal and two snacks into my work day I do great. Is it possible that your body is hungry/thirsty when you "crash?"

Remember kids, Snape didn't kill Dumbledore, Michael Gambon did.

"Ah, war. God's way of making Americans learn geography." ~ Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

Dx: Bipolar Something (depends on who you ask...), ADHD- inattentive type, some anxiety stuff, PTSD
Alt Dx: "Nutty as squirrel poo." (quote from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
Rx:Seroquel- 200 mg at bedtime, Vyvanse 50 mg, Klonopin .5 mg prn

Favorite things: Harry Potter, Seroquel, flannel sheets, my Tempur-pedic bed, pajama pants, massage, music, reading, Coca-Cola, Starbucks, sleep

Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.

#9 pavement

pavement

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, ADHD-C
  • Current Meds:Lorazepam 0.5 lunch and bedtime, Vyvanse 30mg daily

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'd second the hungry. And the thirsty. The dry mouth came and went with the lorazepam. It's come to stay with the Vyvanse.

I carry a Contigo water bottle with me to work. It works great. Sippy cups for grownups.

I also second Bipolar Bear's idea of building snacks into your day, during breaks and such.

#10 Zoidberg

Zoidberg

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 75 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD-Primarily Inattentive, Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
  • Current Meds:See signature...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

As has been said a million times before, "Your mileage may vary." I recently got off Vyvanse because it just stopped working for me, but I had been on it for five years without any change in my appetite, weight, or sleep, and never once experienced the crashes you describe (which I'm sorry you had, btw, they sound crappy).

Current Meds: Lamotrigine (Initial Titration in Progress); Escitalopram 15 mg; Bupropion XL 300 mg; Dextroamphetamine 10 mg; Terazosin 5 mg
Previous Meds: Latuda, Zoloft, Diazepam, Ambien, Lexapro, Prozac, Paxil, Serzone, Buspar, Pristiq, Effexor, Seroquel, Remeron, Strattera, Wellbutrin, Geodon, Topamax, Dextroamphetamine, Desipramine, Ritalin, Adderall, Abilify, Concerta, Provigil, Lorazepam, Trazadone, Deplin, Clonazopam, Alprazolam

#11 promicarus

promicarus

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Agoraphobia, PTSD, ADD,
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 150mg,rcntly discont.xanax4mg,Depakote600mg,60mg Ritalin

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hi, I'm currently taking Vyvanse for my ADD/ADHD and the crash coming off of it is TERRIBLE. I started on 30 mg, but after a week they weren't working anymore so my doctor increased my dosage to 40 mg & 50 mg (she wrote me a prescription for both and told me to use whichever worked better). I wait until I get to work around 9 am to take them because I don't get off until around 6 and I can already tell that it's wearing off then so I don't want to take it any earlier. By the time 7:30 rolls around I can't do anything. I feel terrible; I don't want to move, eat, go anywhere. All I can do is watch TV or go to bed. Also, I consistently wake up around 2 am, especially if I try to go to bed early (before midnight), and can't get back to sleep. I've also noticed that when I take the 50 mg dose I become evil and irritable. I work with children so that's definitely not OK! Does anyone have any advice for another medication I should try? I've tried Adderall XR, but I moved and my new doctor thought that Vyvanse was a better, "smoother" alternative and with the current Adderall shortage I didn't mind. I've also tried Wellbutrin as a non-stimulant alternative, but that made me more irritable that you can imagine. I'm going back to the doctor next week, help please!

"only in fairy tales is the one-eyed man made king in the land of the blind. In  the real world he is burned as a witch"-me

#12 promicarus

promicarus

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Agoraphobia, PTSD, ADD,
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 150mg,rcntly discont.xanax4mg,Depakote600mg,60mg Ritalin

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

cHances are your add is more severe than average.People who really need a stimulant because of severe add really have a hard crash when its over. My suggestion would to be to take a regular low dose adderall right before your get off work.It should tide you over, mellow out the crash, and treat your symptoms without being xr and keeping you up all night.

"only in fairy tales is the one-eyed man made king in the land of the blind. In  the real world he is burned as a witch"-me

#13 botulismo

botulismo

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major Depressive Disorder, Panic Disorder, PTSD, ADHD-Hyperactive/Impulsive
  • Current Meds:Duloxetine 120mg, Clonazepam 5mg, Dexedrine ER 30mg, Guanfacine 1mg

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

You may want to ask for Dexedrine Spansules/Dextroamphetamine Extended Release. It's a harder med to get a hold of (you may have to order it at the pharmacy) but it seems to last all day and when it wears off it's gentle and I just want to sleep. The highest dose of capsule is 15mg. You could take 1 15mg capsule in the morning and another one at around noon.

Vyvanse is a prodrug for the active chemical in Dexedrine, so it will feel like the same thing, but the mechanism of extended release is far different. 25mg of Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine is the chemical name) is the equivalent of 10mg of Dexedrine, so 2 15mg capsules should be similar enough to your 50mg of Vyvanse.

I do not know everything and I am more than willing to find out I'm incorrect - but please correct me so I don't give bad advice out a second time! The best I can try to do is share my experiences with certain things and ask questions where needed. I know that everything everyone here says should be taken with a grain of salt (or a spice of your choice) and that as with every psych med, Your Mileage May Vary - every person has psych meds affect them in different ways and no two people will have the same exact outcome with every med!

Diagnoses: Major Depressive Disorder (Had all my life), Attenion Deficit Hyperactivity Disoder - Hyperactive/Impulsive (Had all my life, may be abbreviated by me as ADHD or ADHD-HI), Panic Disorder (Had since I was a teenager), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (Had for the last 2-3 years or so, may be abbreviated by me as PTSD, as is common)

Medications I am currently taking (US Brand Names in Parentheses): Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 120mg (for depression & possible help with anxiety, but I'm not holding out for that one), Clonazepam (Klonopin) 5mg (for panic attacks), Dextroamphetamine Extended Release (Dexedrine Spansules) 30mg (for ADHD-HI), Guanfacine (Tenex) tablet 1mg (for ADHD-HI & possibly PTSD)

Other treatment-related things: I have weekly 1:1 therapy sessions with a therapist who specializes in Trauma. I also supplement with Fish Oil ( I have low HDL (good cholesterol) - I'm allergic to Flax Seeds & Oils so can't even try that!), have been trying to exercise, and I take a multivitamin

Medications I have had 0 response from or possibly nasty side effects (US Brand Names in Parentheses): Lamotrigine  (Lamictal - Made my brain foggy, did nothing, I'm not even Bipolar), Paroxetine (Paxil), Fluoextine (Prozac), Citalopram (Celexa), Escitalopram (Lexapro), Sertraline (Zoloft) (All the SSRIs made me numb to life and had the sex drive of a Walnut), Velafaxine XR (Effexor XR) (All the same bad parts of the SSRIs plus terrible side effects if I was late a dose!) , Amitryptiline, Methylphenidate IR & XR (Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Metadate CD - increased my panic attack symptoms like nothing else in the world!), Queitiapine (Seroquel - possibly the worst medicine (for me) I've ever taken), Haloperidol (Haldol - Second to worst (for me) after Seroquel, they gave it to me at the psych ward for sleep - terrible idea), Lorazepam (Ativan - made me sleep for 12 hours at a time and when I woke up I woke up with a heart rate of 144bpm and a BP of 160/100), Buspirone (Buspar - did absolutely nothing!), Prazosin (Minipress - made my sleep terrible and the next day even worse)

Medications I have had partial response to but quit due to side effects (US Brand Names in Parentheses) : Bupropion (Wellbutrin - increased my anxiety, have never taken with my increased clonazepam dose), Atomoxetine (Strattera - worked on my depression way more than my ADHD, side effects were sweating and difficulty sleeping, but I could put up with it), Amphetamine Salts IR/XR (Adderall IR/XR - The IR works for 4-5 hours then comes crashing down to a depressed state for hours and the XR puts me on edge all day - I think it's the levoamphetamine))

Medications that work but I'm not taking (US Brand Names in Parentheses) : Diazepam (Valium), Alprazolam (Xanax), Propanalol (Inderal - worked on some of the physical symptoms of my panic disorder but Dr. & I agreed that Guanfacine was a better overall blood pressure medicine for my needs)

And there you have it, my whole history of medicine!

P.S. I talk too much, and I know I do. It's kind of because I have a fear that if I'm not thorough enough what I'm saying won't be understood properly.

#14 Sid

Sid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADD-I, PD, GAD
  • Current Meds:Dextroamphetamine

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

I have taken Vyvanse, and I now take dextroamphetamine, and for me they do not feel similar whatsoever.  Do not let a bad Vyvanse experience keep you from trying Dex IR or Dex Spansules.

#15 mrstardust

mrstardust

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD, Paranoid Schizophrenia
  • Current Meds:Zyprexa, Prozac, Vyvanse, Adderall

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

you'll get used to it. it just takes time.

#16 brazilian30

brazilian30

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

I had crashes after one month of vyvanse 40mg all my doctor did was increasing my dosage to 60 mg and it's working fine ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 hollydid

hollydid

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diagnoses:PD NOS, MDD, PTSD
  • Current Meds:I'll have what you're having.

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

I'm surprised there isn't more info provided to you here. The Vyvanse stresses your adrenals, increases your basal temperature and makes you excrete more [sweat and urine primarily]. So the thirst is logical. Drink more water throughout the day. Avoid high caffeine and high tannin beverages (coffee and tea), diuretics and alcohol, obviously. Because the drug alters your electrolytes, you may want to get some magnesium citrate powder for your water/juice or magnesium glycinate in capsules. You can get the expensive CALM, moderately priced Natural Tranquillity (Vitacost) or a variety of other chelated magnesiums in whatever form. However, avoid magnesium ascorbate during the day. See below: 

You cannot consume vitamin C while 'on' Vyvanse. It speeds the elimination by a lot. So vitamin C containing juice, fruit and ascorbic acid supplements are all out until you are ready to come off it. Alkalizing your stomach with a pinch of baking soda in water or taking a cal/mag supplement simultaneously is a great way to ensure proper absorption. The drug's decline in serum will happen naturally after about 6 hours, so 8 hours is a good time to start consuming the C and B vitamins. C is essential for your health, so do not avoid it entirely, and you need the complete range of B with folic acid in moderate amounts both morning and evening. In combination, those complexes will make coming down much smoother and maintain your natural energy level after the drop off. 

I take magnesium citrate in the morning in mineral water with a good B complex and my A, D, K, CoQ10, ALA and a trypsin-containing enzyme supplement.

In the evening I take B with mag ascorbate and lemon juice (you need the complete C complex and bioflavonoids), an amino acid supplement I make myself, chlorella and 4 mg of astaxanthin. About 6 oz of green tea and a guarana capsule are my emergency reinforcements. So...

AM: complete vitamin and mineral range -C, + electrolytes. 

PM: B, C, electrolytes and antioxidants with complete nutrition. 

I can promise you that will help. You can get a good 16 hours out of a day, 6 of which should require less focus and applied energy. I'll recommend specific supplement brands if you like. Also, because the drug taxes your endocrine system, you do require more rest. Don't do caffeine or anything unless you absolutely need the extra hours. That or insomnia will cause adrenal exhaustion over time. The normal reduction in energy is a signal to allow rest and repair. For good sleep you can take skullcap and valerian w/ 1.5 mg of melatonin one hour before bed, or the hardcore route of Silenor, a repurposed old tricyclic AD. Very effective for sleep at 3mg. I really can't recommend the extreme sleep medications at all, but especially not in combination with a stimulant. That's just too much for one brain. 

P.S The nutritional factors can all be taken in naturally and fairly cheaply with a bit of research. Supplements are best taken with food. Vyvanse is not. Take it first on an alkalized stomach, then eat ten minutes later. Don't neglect your good buddy H2O.

Edited by hollydid, 09 April 2014 - 04:13 PM.

Put on a happy face. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog