Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Will Lexapro Cause Ongoing Fatigue?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 1roseburg1

1roseburg1

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, GAD, depression
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, lamotrigine

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

Has anyone taking Lexipro had ongoing fatigue or drowsiness AFTER tapering off the med-- becoming a long term problem? I have taken it very briefly, pdoc says to give it a try...but it does make me tired, and I typically have very good energy levels. I am really afraid of adding a problem that I don't already have, and I read a thread where a few have developed long term fatigue issues even after stopping the Lex. Yikes.
What have most people experienced with Lex? Thanks for any input.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Sasha

Sasha

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 200mg, Wellbutrin XR 450mg

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

Lex gave me all kinds of lethargyand apathy, but they went away once I stopped taking it. Don't worry about exceedingly unlikely long term side effects. Give it a chance to do its thing,
"I tell you, if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman... S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what." - Edith Bouvier Beale

#3 arieswmn

arieswmn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 195 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 100mg. Lamictal 150 mg. N-acetyl cysteine. Folic Acid 800 mcg.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

the fatigue is definitely worse when you're first taking it. after the first two weeks on it my tiredness lessened.

i

previous drugs
Lexapro, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Keppra, Trileptal, Prozac.

#4 arieswmn

arieswmn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 195 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 100mg. Lamictal 150 mg. N-acetyl cysteine. Folic Acid 800 mcg.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

also, imo long term fatigue from a drug when you're not on it is realllly unlikely. these folks prob have untreated depression, bc depression can make you excruciatingly tired. and it sucks that the drugs make this worse at first, but residual exhaustion post-lexapro is probably not from lexapro.

previous drugs
Lexapro, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Keppra, Trileptal, Prozac.

#5 lavender

lavender

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Abilify, Effexor, Neurontin, Provigil

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

I found that it made me so tired that I almost fell asleep driving. Had to sleep every day after I took it. Once I stopped it, the fatigue went away immediately.

DX: Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, Alcoholism-sober for 9 years
Other Medical Conditions: Hypothyroid, Graves Disease, Fibromyalgia, Sleep Apnea, Migraines, Heart Palpitations
Current Meds: Abilify 7.5 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Neurontin 1500 mg, Provigil 200 mg, Armour Thyroid 150 mg, Metoprolol 25 mg am&pm
Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D, Iron, Fish Oil
Failed Meds: Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Wellbutrin

#6 Demento

Demento

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Celexa 20 mg, Remeron 45 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Abilify 30 mg, Carbamazepine 800 mg, Ritalin 30 mg

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

Never had a problem with fatigue from it.

#7 In_Remission_hoodi90

In_Remission_hoodi90
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

anyone else have any views on whether Lexapro makes them feel tired/low on energy/fatigued?
I find myself really tired all the time and I'm on 20mg every night. I feel dizzy, tired, low motivation and am told with less depression (Lexapro's Job) I should have more energy but the side effects are outweighing the positives of using Lexapro.

#8 privacy2112

privacy2112

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, depression, ADD
  • Current Meds:Adderall, Lexapro

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

anyone else have any views on whether Lexapro makes them feel tired/low on energy/fatigued?
I find myself really tired all the time and I'm on 20mg every night. I feel dizzy, tired, low motivation and am told with less depression (Lexapro's Job) I should have more energy but the side effects are outweighing the positives of using Lexapro.

On 10 mg Lexapro I'm super-sleepy (like 12 hours a night plus a nap) and lack all motivation/energy to do anything. On 5 mg Lexapro I only(!) sleep 10-11 hours and don't need a nap, but I still have no motivation or energy, to the point where I can barely deal with the basic activities of life. Basically, I feel like I'm chronically sleep deprived, even though I'm sleeping a lot.

(I'm also on Adderall -- when I take my Adderall along with 5 mg Lexapro, I return to normal, useful levels of awakeness, motivation, and energy. But if I don't take my Adderall and just take the Lexapro, I can't get out of bed in the morning.)

However, every SSRI has been extremely sleepiness-inducing for me. On 5 mg Prozac (a dose so low it's not considered clinical, according to my doctor), I was still so painfully sleepy and drowsy that it wasn't safe for me to drive. On 20 mg Celexa, same thing. I've stuck with Lexapro for years because for me, the sleepiness is actually much less bad than the others, and it does do a good job of holding my really horrible anxiety/depression symptoms at bay.

How long have you been on Lexapro? Have you talked to your doctor about lowering the dose, and if you tried that, did it help?

If Lexapro is helping with the really nasty depression symptoms, it's worth sticking with it for a few months (if you haven't been on it long, to see whether this is a transient side effect) -- or tinkering (with your doctor's help) with a lower dose, to see if you can find a dose that controls your symptoms but reduces the side effect.

If those avenues don't lead anywhere, you could try adding something else -- like me and Adderall.

#9 Sissy Hankshaw

Sissy Hankshaw

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Diagnoses:ADHD overfocused. GAD, mild OCD
  • Current Meds:10 mg escitalopram, 150 mg welbutrin xl, 1 mg lorazepam.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm on week four I think and it makes me extremely sleepy. I nap for a few hours after my dose, I'd switch to taking it at night but worry it won't work as well.
DX: ADHD overfocused, GAD, mild OCD.
RX: 20 mg Escitalopram, .5 Lorazepam pn, 10 mg adderall.

“Normality is the Great Neurosis of civilization.”-Tom Robbins

#10 Mrs.Blue

Mrs.Blue

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression/anxiety
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 20mg 1poqd

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I've been on Lex (the generic) for about 8 weeks... the first Dr. who prescribed it started me @ 5mg, in the a.m., for the first week, then bump to 10mg. I noticed extreme fatigue with the 5mg dosage. I spoke with my pharmacist about switching to dosing in the p.m., but he was adamant about taking it in the a.m. Does anyone here know why???
I have since been bumped up to 20mg, (by a different physician). When I discussed the issue of my lethargy, she suggested that I start taking it mid-day. Today is the first time I followed that advice, and the first time since starting Lex that I haven't HAD to take a nap, (and by nap I mean HOURS long, out cold).
I have required a sleep aid for years, it seems to me that it should be safe to try taking the Lex at night & d/c ing the sleep aid!?! Any advice would be much appreciated.

#11 genebec

genebec

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Diagnoses:aspergers, PTSD (suspect complex), depression, SID, OCD
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 10mg, Abilify 5mg, Buspar 15mg

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

I've never heard anything against taking it at night. My psychiatrist told me to take it at whichever time worked best for me, and I take it at night. It works great to counter the insomnia I have from Abilify.

Becca

#12 Mrs.Blue

Mrs.Blue

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression/anxiety
  • Current Meds:Lexapro 20mg 1poqd

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

Thank you Genebec.

As I mentioned, I had taken my 20mg dose midday yesterday~ and I slept HORRIBLY lastnight! I'm not sure if it was just my expectation of that happening that made it come to fruition? I guess the only way to determine that is to try it for awhile, and see how it goes?

I must say; with the sleepiness issue aside, I'm VERY pleased with the results I've had on this drug. The first physician who initially prescribed it said that she wouldn't want me to go above 15mg poqd, but the 20mg dosage I've been taking (as prescribed by physician #2), has made a BIG difference. I don't understand the concerns of going over 15mg? Any thoughts?

My energy level is up, my irritability is down, tearfulness vanished, productivity up, etc. And with zero apathy.

If I could just work out the sleep issue~ it would be perfect! Again; any thoughts/comments/experiences with this issue would be much appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog