Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs

Do I Have To Take Latuda With 350 Calories Each Day/night?

Latuda

14 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Jen615

In_Remission_Jen615
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

Hi,

I just started Latuda at 40 mg 3 nights ago. So far the only thing I notice is severe fatigue and maybe a little dizziness. I have a 6 month old daughter and the addtional fatigue isn't helping! I hope this side effect doesn't last. But I wanted to ask those of you who are on this med if you take it with 350 calories each time? I take it before bed and haven't taken it right after a meal and I wonder: 1. Why this is recommended? And 2. If I don't take it with the 350 calories will the medication still work?

Any insight to this recommendation is much appreciated. Also, I am always open to hearing comments from those of you whom Latuda has helped!

Thanks,
Jen

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

Yes, you do. The reason is here in the PI:

In a food effect study, lurasidone mean Cmax and AUC were about 3-times and 2-times,
respectively, when administered with food compared to the levels observed under
fasting conditions. Lurasidone exposure was not affected as meal size was increased
from 350 to 1000 calories and was independent of meal fat content [see Dosage and
Administration (2.2)].
In clinical studies, establishing the safety and efficacy of LATUDA, patients were
instructed to take their daily dose with food [see Dosage and Administration (2.2)].

Latuda needs food to be absorbed.

nf

Edited by notfred, 04 December 2011 - 09:35 PM.

Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder PI, Refractory Insomnia, CSA, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor
Psyc meds: Aplenzin 522 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Lunesta 6 mg, Levetiracetam 2000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
Other: Fenofibrate, Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Hctz, Asprin, Metformin, Januvia, Ranitidine, Cetirizine, Nasalide, Montelukast
PRN's: Lorazepam, Alprazolam, Dextroamphetamine, Propranolol, Cyproheptadine, Patanol, Prednisone, Ipratropium, Ondansetron, Hydrocodone, Doxepin
Supplements: Fish Oil 6 g, Multi-vitamin/mineral, vitamin D 1,500 IU

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. ADD, insomnia, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage.
Arthur Rimbaud, Les Illuminations, Parade

"I think you are on enough medications." --my pdoc

Dr. Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.

Igor: What hump?

#3 In_Remission_Jen615

In_Remission_Jen615
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to eat right before bed or take Latuda with dinner. I do wonder why more psychiatric meds don't require the calories for effectiveness...

#4 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

I do wonder why more psychiatric meds don't require the calories for effectiveness...

Why should all meds have the same absorbing and metabolism characteristics ?

Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder PI, Refractory Insomnia, CSA, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor
Psyc meds: Aplenzin 522 mg, Abilify 15 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Lunesta 6 mg, Levetiracetam 2000 mg, Propranolol ER 60 mg
Other: Fenofibrate, Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, Hctz, Asprin, Metformin, Januvia, Ranitidine, Cetirizine, Nasalide, Montelukast
PRN's: Lorazepam, Alprazolam, Dextroamphetamine, Propranolol, Cyproheptadine, Patanol, Prednisone, Ipratropium, Ondansetron, Hydrocodone, Doxepin
Supplements: Fish Oil 6 g, Multi-vitamin/mineral, vitamin D 1,500 IU

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. ADD, insomnia, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage.
Arthur Rimbaud, Les Illuminations, Parade

"I think you are on enough medications." --my pdoc

Dr. Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.

Igor: What hump?

#5 Sasha

Sasha

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 200mg, Wellbutrin XR 450mg

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, you absolutely have to take latuda with food. I take it whenever I have my largest meal, and I don't have any issues with doing it that way.
"I tell you, if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman... S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what." - Edith Bouvier Beale

#6 In_Remission_Jen615

In_Remission_Jen615
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Sasha, does the Latuda make you really tired? I'd like to take it with dinner but don't want to fall asleep soon after. Just wondering if you have fatigue with this med and if so, if it tends to subside?

Thanks for your time!

#7 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

Jen 615, et. al.

I've been on Latuda only a couple weeks, but notfred is absolutely right. The studies show it will lose up to half its effectiveness if not taken with a least 350 calories--which is a pain, as you say. So far, I'm really happy (literally) with Latuda. It doesn't fatigue me--so maybe that will go away for you. Only downside(s) is headaches, but not horrible, and an intermittent tic in my shoulder.

I haven't stopped the cogentin (for, first akathesia with Abilify, and then night muscle spasms with the Seroquel I just quit. I'm paranoid about EPS and the shoulder tic freaks me out a little. Can it be the first sign of EPS problems? In other words: tic=no problem, but I'm terrified of akathesia.

Thank you. I hope people will keep posting about their experiences with Latuda. It's so new, I think the real lowdown depends on what you guys report.

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Luvox 100mg;  Lamictal 200mg;  

For sleep (rotating):   trazadone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel, Abilify,  Ambien,  Wellbutrin, Viibryd

#8 nukesandchems

nukesandchems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I, PTSD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Seroquel XR, Depakote, Luvox, Requip, Prazosin, Lunesta, Klonopin

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Akathisia is horrible. I get a bad case of it with most antipsycotics to the point where I will refuse to use them anymore. A nurse once told me that drugs give you that reaction when you're taking too low of a dose. Not sure how true that is. Anyhow, I've been on 20mg of Latuda for almost a month now. Here are the side effects I've felt:
  • Fatigue/weakness, where it feels like my body just wants to crumple up in a puddle on the floor
  • Akathisia
  • Headache, but that was only the first two weeks
I do take the requip and cogentin for this, but I had to move up in both of those doses to properly address it. My greatest hope is that this will replace the AWFUL Seroquel XR, which messed up my blood sugar and blood pressure and made it impossible to lose any weight.

Hope that helps someone!

Diagnosis: Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorder, PTSD, OCD, Fibromyalgia
Meds Now: 300mg Lamictal, 1000mg Depakote ER, 200mg Luvox ER, 800mg Seroquel XR, 2mg Requip, 60mg Propranolol ER, 2mg Lunesta, 1mg Klonopin (at night), 1mg Klonopin prn
Meds Tried: Serzone, Paxil, Lexapro, Doxepin, Neurontin, Ativan, Seroquel, Tegretol, Topamax, Effexor XR, Geodon, Valium, Zyprexa, Abilify, Lyrica, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Ambien, Remeron, Cogentin, Latuda

#9 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

nooksandchems:

I've been on the Latuda about a month now. You were right about the headaches; they went away. I had quit my benztropine (Cogentin) and immediately fell into akathisia, which I also got with Abilify to the nth degree. Resuming the benztropine fixed that. But a few days ago I began getting overheated and flushed after only taking long walks with dog. It turns out that benztropine is an anticholinergic which worsens Latuda's body temperature disregulation. The danger, of course, is heatstroke (This is still technically winter in St. Louis!)

Next plan: my pdoc is calling my cardiologist to see if we can switch my betablocker (benign PVC) to a non-selective--namely Inderol. I've read that it helps akathisia. How much does the Requip help you?

And, yes, the whole idea for me too was to get off Seroquel with its gazillion side effects.

Also, your nurse's theory about too-low a dose sounds crazy to me. Most drug side-effects (certainly Latuda's) are dose-dependent: the more drugs, the more side effects.

Can you keep us posted? I don't know anyone on Latuda and neither does my pdoc. I don't like the idea of flying blind.

Thank you.

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Luvox 100mg;  Lamictal 200mg;  

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel, Abilify,  Ambien,  Wellbutrin, Viibryd

#10 nukesandchems

nukesandchems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar Disorder I, PTSD, OCD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Seroquel XR, Depakote, Luvox, Requip, Prazosin, Lunesta, Klonopin

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Wow I am so sad I let this post go. I have the worst memory for remembering things I've posted on forums. Hopefully me responding now will help someone!

Requip is okay. I think I'm too used to my dose, but when I go up the nausea is hellish. Almost like someone is choking me, and I'm on the edge of throwing up for hours. I'm not sure if it really did anything at all, because I still got the akathisia. I stopped Latuda because I couldn't take it any longer. But I really noticed how the Latuda made me feel, and it did so much for me, so now I'm giving it another try. I don't like how depressed I am.

My doctor put me on Inderol because I was having high blood pressure issues with the Seroquel and even that hasn't helped the akathisia. Cogentin hasn't done much. I don't know if I'm just a special case or if this happens to a lot of people. I don't know if I have many options left. I'm not interested in a benzo. Not sure what happens next.

I hope you read this and can fill me in with how you are doing, and how the Latuda is working for you!

Diagnosis: Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorder, PTSD, OCD, Fibromyalgia
Meds Now: 300mg Lamictal, 1000mg Depakote ER, 200mg Luvox ER, 800mg Seroquel XR, 2mg Requip, 60mg Propranolol ER, 2mg Lunesta, 1mg Klonopin (at night), 1mg Klonopin prn
Meds Tried: Serzone, Paxil, Lexapro, Doxepin, Neurontin, Ativan, Seroquel, Tegretol, Topamax, Effexor XR, Geodon, Valium, Zyprexa, Abilify, Lyrica, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Ambien, Remeron, Cogentin, Latuda

#11 sbrown1991

sbrown1991

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1, OCD
  • Current Meds:lamictal, latuda, viibryd

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

I've been taking latuda for over 2 months at 40mg and it usually makes me tired. If I don't eat enough with it won't make me tired and I'll get insomnia. Tonight I even took a higher dose, around 60mg and I don't feel tired at all. I wonder if this is the start of hypomania/mania for me. we'll see after tonight if I don't get any sleep

#12 StephenR

StephenR

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:Psychosis NOS
  • Current Meds:Latuda (60mg)

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Latuda gives me awful fatigue/weakness, taking it any time earlier than immediately before I go to sleep just ruins my day because it not only makes me the laziest person ever but it also makes me go into a zombie-like depression. Other than that it's a great drug for me. All of my voices are gone.

Edited by StephenR, 17 July 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#13 Knitty

Knitty

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar II ADHD GAD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Concerta, Cymbalta, Latuda, Xanax PRN

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm going to start dividing my dose 20am/20pm. If I take 40 w/ dinner I'm out for the night. But, if I take it in the morning, I'll get obsessed with counting calories to make sure I have the required 350. Sometimes I just eat yogurt for breakfast.
Will it really impact how well it works if it's not 350 calories?? I asked my pdoc, and he just told me to take it with food, nothing about the calories.

#14 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Yes, it's definitely inconvenient. But while the PI's for some medicines say just to take with food, the PI for Latuda is very specific about taking it with 350 calories--taking 20mg twice a day would mean scraping up two 350 calorie meals.

ETA: I take my 60mg with a late dinner, but Latuda certainly doesn't put me to sleep or even make me tired. Maybe, if you haven't been taking It for long that side effect will pass...?

Edited by baseru, 17 January 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#15 Bubbameister

Bubbameister

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar
  • Current Meds:Latuda, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Clonazepam, Seroquel

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

I have been taking Latuda for about a month now and I take it in the a.m. With 350 calories because if I don't I will feel extremely ill and I to have heard that the half life of this med is18 hours so if I take it at night before bed I feel I am losing out on the benefit of the med. I also take 450mg Wellbutrin, clonazepam twice daily, am titrating up to 300 mg Lamictal which I am only half way there, and Seroquel at night. Hope this helps you out

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts