Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Generic Remeron (mirtazapine)?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_rayovac

In_Remission_rayovac
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

I just got my first Rx for Remeron and got generic (Teva brand) mirtazapine. I know that Teva sucks for generic bupropion (wellbutrin), but I didn't even know that there was now a generic for remeron.

In either case, I'm new to remeron...so I probably wouldn't know one way or the other.

So, I'm wondering: Are there any remeron users who have switched to the generic and noticed any differences.

(For me, I've only been on it for 2 days...it already seems to be helping some but I'm not getting hungry like I expected...in either case, I'm sticking with it).

Rgrds,

Ray

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, Epilepsy NOS, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 250mg, protriptyline 40mg, MPH 5-10mg, buspirone 45mg EPA 600

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

Ray,

I just got my first Rx for Remeron and got generic (Teva brand) mirtazapine. I know that Teva sucks for generic bupropion (wellbutrin), but I didn't even know that there was now a generic for remeron.

If you read through some of the other topics you'll find the consensus to be that Teva is the go-to manufacturer of generics. Their XL form of bupropion is an aberration for some reason.

In either case, I'm new to remeron...so I probably wouldn't know one way or the other.

That's pretty much the case for all meds from a quality generics manufacturer.
Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.us
Keep up with Crazymeds and my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life via your preferred social media:

Wear my Straitjacket     Batshit Crazy Blog

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 300mg, topiramate 325mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, methylphenidate 5-10mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#3 In_Remission_rayovac

In_Remission_rayovac
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

Ray,

If you read through some of the other topics you'll find the consensus to be that Teva is the go-to manufacturer of generics. Their XL form of bupropion is an aberration for some reason.

That's pretty much the case for all meds from a quality generics manufacturer.

Jerod:

As always: Many thanks for the feedback. I am now definitely noticing "changes" associated with the (generic) remeron...so Teva must be doing *something* right.

In all seriousness, Teva does seem to have good product...I've had their gabapentin and it works just fine.

Regardless, thanks again for the feedback!

Rgrds,

Ray

#4 CER

CER

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Diagnoses:I'm a clown
  • Current Meds:Too many
  • Location:Recently beat-up HP Pavilion (thanks to my 9-yr old son)

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

I take generic mirtazapine (and started on generic).

I've never had a problem, but I don't take Teva. My pharmacy has Caraco.

If you are taking generic it's easier, I think, if you start on it rather than switching in midstream (most of the time anyway...)
BPII / ADD

Current meds: Lamotrigine, Topamax, Seroquel, Mirtazapine, Adderall

One day I feel I'm on top of the world
And the next it's falling in on me...

#5 laursmd

laursmd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Diagnoses:docs cant decide between BP II or Persistent Depression w/MDD, also PTSD, possibly OCD
  • Current Meds:LTG 150 mg, Brintellix 10 mg, Remeron 15 mg, Requip 0.5 mg, Klonopin 0.25 mg QAM, 0.5 mg QHS

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:01 AM

I did Teva's mirtazipine. Worked fine by me. Got brand in the hospital, notice no difference between brand and generic. I did have the remeron quick poop out though
dx: who the f knows? I've been told BP II or Persistent Depressive D/O with MDD.  Everyone agrees on PTSD and possible OCD, RLS, essential hypertension, severe seasonal allergies, asthma
ncurrent rx: Lamictal 150 mg, Brintellix 10 mg, Remeron 15 mg, Klonopin 0.25 mg QAM, 0.5 mg QHS, Requip 0.5 mg Diovan HCT 160/25 mg, Amlodipine 5 mg, Pulmicort 180 mcg 2 puffs BID, Albuterol sulfate 2 puffs PRN, Xyzal 5 mg, Azelastine 1 gtt each eye BID, Patanase 2 squirts each nare BID, Nasonex 2 squirts each nare QHS, Vit D 2000 IU, Omega 3,6,9, Calcium, Magnesium, prenatal vitamin, and the oddest of odd 12-24 oz coconut water daily the week of the full moon (something about water-lyte balance in the brain, and soon to star immunotherapy for my allergies
past meds: Prozac, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor XR, Lexapro, Abilify, Paxil CR, Ambien CR, Trileptal, Cymbalta,Amitriptyline, Zoloft

#6 In_Remission_technogiggle

In_Remission_technogiggle
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:31 AM

Teva worked fine for me, at least for as long as any other med I've responded to has; actually, come to think of it, only ritalin and clonazepam have worked longer...

teva is good stuff.

t

#7 Pillboxfox

Pillboxfox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:09 AM

I've only tried the generic Remeron and it works great. Even if I could get brand name meds at no higher cost if I asked my doctor, I still prefer taking generics. They are much cheaper and most work perfectly well. *Most*.

PBF
Diagnosis: Bipolar type 2 disorder and substance abuse disorder (working hard on staying clean)
Daily med combo: Lithium 600mg + Remeron 30mg + Zyprexa 5mg (all taken at bedtime)
Lithium level: 0.5
PRN meds: Librium 10mg capsules, Haldol 2mg tabs
Emergency/crisis meds: Xanax 0.5mg tabs, Prolixin (fluphenazine) long-acting injection
Previously tried: Seroquel, Risperdal, Nozinan (levopromazine), Depakote, Lamictal, Effexor, Serzone, Trazodone, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, Ativan, Restoril, Serax, Valium

#8 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:49 AM

I took remeron for 10 yrs, somewhere in there the generic came out. I found no difference, generally Teva was the maker.

It did take a while to get the generic on the market but I remember getting a big check
from this class action:

Class action

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#9 EFXR

EFXR

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Current Meds:Strattera

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

Branded or unbranded, prepare to get fatt, really, really fatt!

Studying psychology, i know more about this shit then you wannabes.

I hate whatever today is...

#10 builder

builder

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD
  • Current Meds:remeron(off 12/11) diazepam, buspar(off 12/11)

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

I'm glad I found this thread. I have been on generic Remeron for a little over 2 years. I take 22.5 mg daily (just before bed.) I also take 10 mg of diazepam daily. (Anixiety disorder) I do NOT want to increase teh diazepam.

The Remeron has been great. It actually seemed that the longer I take it, the better it gets. I sleep soundly (don't even have too many dreams anymore), and I actually feel normal during the rest of the day and evening. I haven't gained any wieght, or had any other side effects.

Ever since I started on the Remeron, I ws getting the generic (mirtazapine) manufactured by Apotex. But on my last refill, the pharmacist gave me the version from Sandoz. And it don't f'n work. Starting the first night i abruptly woke up at 4:30 AM, agitated, and couldn't get back to sleep. And I'm nervous and apprehensive all day. I even bumped my dosage up to 30 mg, but it didn't help.

It has been a week now, so I called my pharmacist this AM. He said he would see if he find an alternate source, but he was limited to whatever his wholesaler has available.

I realize that everyone has a different response to all these head meds, but has anyone else noticed a major change in performance from one generic to another? My drug plan (medicare part D) doesn't cover brand-name Remeron ( and I've never used it, so I'm not sure it would solve the problem) but I'm so miserble that I would pay out of pocket just to get some relief.

Edited by builder, 18 November 2009 - 12:13 PM.

#11 CER

CER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Diagnoses:I'm a clown
  • Current Meds:Too many
  • Location:Recently beat-up HP Pavilion (thanks to my 9-yr old son)

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

I realize that everyone has a different response to all these head meds, but has anyone else noticed a major change in performance from one generic to another? My drug plan (medicare part D) doesn't cover brand-name Remeron ( and I've never used it, so I'm not sure it would solve the problem) but I'm so miserble that I would pay out of pocket just to get some relief.

My pharmacy has switched back and forth at times between Caraco and Mylan for generic Remeron. I personally haven't noticed any difference between the two. I couldn't tell you about the ones you have been using. Sorry.
BPII / ADD

Current meds: Lamotrigine, Topamax, Seroquel, Mirtazapine, Adderall

One day I feel I'm on top of the world
And the next it's falling in on me...

#12 builder

builder

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD
  • Current Meds:remeron(off 12/11) diazepam, buspar(off 12/11)

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

My pharmacy has switched back and forth at times between Caraco and Mylan for generic Remeron. I personally haven't noticed any difference between the two. I couldn't tell you about the ones you have been using. Sorry.

Well, my local pharmacist has not found an alternate source, and the Sandoz brand is still not working.

I made some phone calls and did some research. The FDA has halted importation of Apotex Canadian products because of some manufacturing irregularities, so Apotex mirtazapine is not currently available in the US. I called several chain pharmacies and Teva and Mylan seem to be the most common sources. But most major chains have no local control over the source of supply, so even if I find an alternative that works, I have no assurance that the local pharmacy will continue to stock it.

Harris-Teeter (a major grocery chain here in the South) said they can over-ride the corporate supply chain at the local store level. So they are ordering a supply from Mylan and it will be in Friday. I am moving my scrip to them.

Really hope it works. Remeron (mirtazapine) has been great for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog