Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Olanzapine As A Prn?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TemperaMental

TemperaMental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1/ADHD
  • Current Meds:Lithium 650mg; Lamotrigine 100mg; Quetiapine 50mg; Sertraline 100mg; Zopiclone PRN; Propranolol PRN

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:06 AM

Hi people. I've been a fan of crazymeds for a while, but this is the first time I've posted.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder, with psychotic symptoms and rapid--cycling course/devilish mixed states (trifecta - woo!), and my psychiatrist is keen to prescribe me olanzapine (Zyprexa) as a p.r.n to take when it all gets a bit too much. Apparently a p.r.n. is indicated because it avoids some of the nastier side-effects, and because I am a 'responsible patient' with good insight (gold star for me!).

Anyway, I couldn't find much info as to the usefulness/efficacy/safety of this method of administration for Zyprexa, so I was hoping that people could share their experiences or point me in the direction of some reading material. Does it work fast enough? Isn't it just a knock-out drop unless your body's had time to become accustomed to it?

Oh yeah, I'm a PhD-level neuroscientist, so feel free to hit me with the hard stuff :mad: . I had a brief trawl on Pubmed, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

FWIW, I currently take 1g valproate daily as a mood stabiliser and 7mg zopiclone as a prn sleep med. I've never taken an antipsychotic before, so I have no idea what to expect, though there's only one way to find out.

Thanks!
"Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact."

~ William James (1897)

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Glen

Glen

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

Anyway, I couldn't find much info as to the usefulness/efficacy/safety of this method of administration for Zyprexa, so I was hoping that people could share their experiences or point me in the direction of some reading material. Does it work fast enough? Isn't it just a knock-out drop unless your body's had time to become accustomed to it?

Is it really surprising that Eli Lilly does not fund research into prn use? Perhaps if it was to study zyprexa's use as a replacement for sprinkles on cupcakes we would have some good research.

Seriously, from my own observations (not experience though) and listening to others here, it is the best prn / emergency med there is. If you need to calmed down NOW it should be first the first choice. That being said if you respond very well to it, you and or your doctor may get comfortable with the idea of using it for prophylaxis. IMO, for that purpose it really should be one of the last choices.
Don't listen to me because chloride homeostasis is my Kevin Bacon.

#3 TemperaMental

TemperaMental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Current Meds:Lithium 650mg; Lamotrigine 100mg; Quetiapine 50mg; Sertraline 100mg; Zopiclone PRN; Propranolol PRN

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:07 AM

Is it really surprising that Eli Lilly does not fund research into prn use? Perhaps if it was to study zyprexa's use as a replacement for sprinkles on cupcakes we would have some good research.

Good point - I really must remember to be more cynical in future! :mad:

Thanks for the positive view though. I guess my doctor's clinical experience agrees with your observations, which is why he wants to go that route.

~ William James (1897)

#4 NOS

NOS

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, lots of other things, NOS
  • Current Meds:Klonopin, Adderall and some other stuff

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

I started out taking Zyprexa PRN. I was in a pretty depressed state, and my doc gave me a script for a few them to get me through until I could get started on another medication. It did work really well, really fast. Within a couple of hours of the first dose, I felt better. It didn't make me as tired as I had anticipated, but it definitely chilled me out. The goal was to get me started on another medication and just take the Zyprexa as needed to avoid the weight gain and all that comes along with that. Unfortunately, the other meds we tried didn't work out, and now I'm on Zyprexa daily. If it weren't for the weight gain, I'd have no complaints about this med. Best of luck to you!
-Lauren
Pertinent and probably some not so pertinent info:

DX: Not sure which of these are current or accurate anymore, but my money's on the last one to account for the symptoms...Generalized Anxiety Disorder, ADD, Depressive Disorder NOS, Bipolar Disorder NOS, Possible Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (doc has suggested this, prescribed accordingly, but has yet to do any sort of evaluation to determine...I'm uninsured), PTSD

RX: Adderall 40 mg, Klonopin 2-4 mg, Trazodone 150-300 mg, Soma up to 3x daily as needed

#5 In_Remission_aftermath

In_Remission_aftermath
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:32 AM

i am wondering what prn dose of zyprexa people are taking. I know doses vary a lot, but in general... what are you taking prn? thanks!

#6 TemperaMental

TemperaMental

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:17 AM

Thanks very much for all the responses.

Aftermath: I begged my doctor for the teeniest possible amount as a starter, so I've got the 2.5mg pills, and an instruction to take either 1 or 2 of them as needed. So far I've only had to use it once, and my God did I sleep beautifully that night, and was amazingly clear-headed the following day.

Having said that, I've seen some data that suggests that anything less than 10mg/day is just pissing in the wind as far as psychosis is concerned, but hey, whatever works for you ....

I came across another interesting paper on my travels too, this one a big meta-review suggesting that most of the benefits of antipsychotic treatment are apparent very early on in the course of treatment: http://archpsyc.ama-...ourcetype=HWCIT

So maybe PRN is going to be an optimal strategy in a lot of cases, especially with periodic psychoses, and a way of avoiding some of the harsher long-term side-effects (not to mention the outrageous costs) of these types of drugs. Obviously it won't be right for every patient, but it's something to think about.

~ William James (1897)

#7 In_Remission_aftermath

In_Remission_aftermath
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Thanks very much for all the responses.

Aftermath: I begged my doctor for the teeniest possible amount as a starter, so I've got the 2.5mg pills, and an instruction to take either 1 or 2 of them as needed. So far I've only had to use it once, and my God did I sleep beautifully that night, and was amazingly clear-headed the following day.

wow, 2.5 is a very small dose. I think the pills I have are 5 or 10mg? maybe I'm wrong. I can't keep em all straight! haha. But thanks for the reply, maybe i will try lower dose next time...

Having said that, I've seen some data that suggests that anything less than 10mg/day is just pissing in the wind as far as psychosis is concerned, but hey, whatever works for you ....

I came across another interesting paper on my travels too, this one a big meta-review suggesting that most of the benefits of antipsychotic treatment are apparent very early on in the course of treatment: http://archpsyc.ama-...ourcetype=HWCIT

So maybe PRN is going to be an optimal strategy in a lot of cases, especially with periodic psychoses, and a way of avoiding some of the harsher long-term side-effects (not to mention the outrageous costs) of these types of drugs. Obviously it won't be right for every patient, but it's something to think about.

ohh that is very interesting, especially the last paragraph of what you said. I had sort of come to this conclusion myself, re: my own care. It only makes sense for me to go prn since I have no insurance and dont accept side effects like huge weight gain or whatever else they decide to come up with next. Also the periodic nature of my psychotic states... as you said, it is good for me because even though there is pretty much always a low-level of symptoms, the overwhelming shit is periodic, so I can just take prn zyprexa when that happens.
cheers, TemperaMental.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog