Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

What Foods Or Beverages Have You Given Up For Your Treatment?

food interactions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

I was so excited to find ruby red Squirt! And I didn't give it any thought until halfway through the can I noticed the big picture of a grapefruit on the can. Duh. Checked the ingredients and there's actual grapefruit juice in it. :mad: So no more Squirt for me.

I gave up all caffeine for a while when my anxiety was really bad. I also tried the gluten free diet for a month to see if it would help MI symptoms.

Anyway, giving up Squirt isn't that much of a hardship. Let's share our sacrifices.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 drewinthebu

drewinthebu

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

I've had to completely overhaul my diet over the past few years because of meds in order to not gain a ton of weight.
Before, I was an average American eater. Now, I keep it raw, green, and alkaline as much as possible, though at first it took a level of discipline I didn't think I had (turns out, everyone has it, the trick is accessing it and overcoming programmed ideas about food and eating).

Also, alcohol, which I do sometimes miss. I still drink coffee, though.

Edited by drewinthebu, 23 October 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#3 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

For the most part, I've given up alcohol but that's it even though I should be giving up all sorts of things that have nothing to do with MI just in terms of trying to be healthier.

Current Meds: Lamictal 325mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg, Saphris 10mg, Trazodone up to 200mg, Prozosin 2mg, Zyprexa 5mg PRN and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Avalide, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol

#4 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 621 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, escitalopram

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

No coffee. One cup of decaffeinated tea per day max, and that only if I drink it before noon. No quantity of sugar greater than what you get eating about half a brownie. Can't touch white wine. Red wine is safe if drunk on rare occasions, and I can manage about three ounces. One beer now and again doesn't bother me.

I am such a cheap date.

Give us this day our daily meds:150 mgs lamotrigine, 75 mgs topiramate, 150 mgs Seroquel XR, 100 mgs Seroquel IR, 12.5 mgs Ambien CR, 15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3. Azelastine spray for allergies.

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN.

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#5 arieswmn

arieswmn

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 50 mg. Lamictal 150 mg. Fish Oil.

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

I went gluten-free and caffeine free for awhile to see if it would help. It didn't, and I'm happily dependent on coffee again.

previous drugs
Lexapro, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Keppra, Trileptal, Prozac.

#6 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.5-1

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:08 AM

I've always been told that gluten free won't help me ( idiopathic seizures ) but lately I've moved into a rather nasty wheat intolerance. Hubby grew​ into a lactose intolerance. I chalk it up to getting old & my body saying "yep - yer done with the good bread, missy."

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#7 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

Oh how I miss carbonation! I was so hooked on Diet Mt. Dew. I also miss tequila. I didn't drink often, but every couple of months, I loved 1800 tequila and lime.

Current Meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#8 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

I've cut down on my caffeine intake, and increased my water intake. I used to drink black tea made with fresh tea leaves throughout the day, but nowadays, I drink white tea. When brewed properly, it has less caffeine in it than black tea does, can be brewed multiple times if you use whole leaves, and contains less caffeine the more times you brew it. I also drink water warmed up in the microwave in place of some of the tea servings.

Note: I don't want to see anyone try to turn this into a detailed discussion of gluten intolerance. There are other sites on the Internet wholly devoted to that topic. Thanks in advance.

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

#9 notfred

notfred

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have not made a change in eating habits. I have never been a big drinker.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#10 inmyhead

inmyhead

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Diagnoses:schizoaffective (BP) type
  • Current Meds:lamictal 300mg qd, latuda 80mg qd, nuvigil 500bid, paxil 80mg,ativan,metformin.
  • Location:small town usa, where everybody knows your name and 'creative living' tactics are necessary.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

Paxil- i gave up all food/alcohol before and after taking Paxil. If Paxil mixes with food, i'm screwed the following day.
The rest of the cocktail- i gave up alcohol. i was never a series drinker, but even the slightest amount messes with all of my meds.
[I have lived so many lives...all in my head.]
[don't you tell me how i feel........you don't know just how i feel.]

#11 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

I've cut down on my caffeine intake, and increased my water intake. I used to drink black tea made with fresh tea leaves throughout the day, but nowadays, I drink white tea. When brewed properly, it has less caffeine in it than black tea does, can be brewed multiple times if you use whole leaves, and contains less caffeine the more times you brew it. I also drink water warmed up in the microwave in place of some of the tea servings.

I love tea, too. All kinds of tea. That was a plus side to getting major dry mouth, I guess. I'm sipping delicious tea all day :mad:

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

#12 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

I have yet to reduce my caffeine intake even with severe insomnia. Does getting off caffeine really improve sleep?

If you have severe insomnia, it'd behoove you to switch to water instead of caffeinated beverages midway through the afternoon each day. Yes, caffeine can have a big impact on your sleep patterns, if you're sensitive to it or you ingest a lot of it. The stuff can overexcite your brain, and has a variety of physiological effects that can make it hard to relax and sleep.

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

#13 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 621 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, escitalopram

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

I have yet to reduce my caffeine intake even with severe insomnia. Does getting off caffeine really improve sleep?

If you have severe insomnia, it'd behoove you to switch to water instead of caffeinated beverages midway through the afternoon each day. Yes, caffeine can have a big impact on your sleep patterns, if you're sensitive to it or you ingest a lot of it. The stuff can overexcite your brain, and has a variety of physiological effects that can make it hard to relax and sleep.

Yes. It really really effects your sleep. And there are other implications for psych patients, too:

http://apt.rcpsych.o...t/11/6/432.full

Edited by Her, 24 October 2011 - 03:55 PM.

Give us this day our daily meds:150 mgs lamotrigine, 75 mgs topiramate, 150 mgs Seroquel XR, 100 mgs Seroquel IR, 12.5 mgs Ambien CR, 15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3. Azelastine spray for allergies.

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN.

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#14 TenaciousE

TenaciousE

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD, Migraine, Cervical Dystonia

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

No caffeine - unless I want to take a ride on the anxiety highway.

No alcohol - I used to drink regularly, but now I realize I was self-medicating my GAD. However, drinking came with punishing migraines so I stopped. Now that I getting my GAD treated, I don't miss drinkng.

No sugar - I avoid sugar because I am terrified of gaining weight. I have been a 120 pounds most of my life except between 1997 and 2002 when I was on various cocktails which included ADs, Depakote and Zyprexa and I ended up 180 pounds. I had one coworker say to me "now you know what it is like to be a fat girl".
Current Meds: Klonopin 2mg, Inderal 10mg, Tramadol 400mg (as an AD), Valium 10mg PRN, Botox for Migraine Prevention and Nerve Block Injections for Neck Pain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog