Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Anyone Know Of A Good Cbt Workbook?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mj1127

mj1127

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
  • Current Meds:Lithium CR, Abilify, Latuda, Adderall, Wellbutrin

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

I need to work on anxiety and anger especially. My local bookstore had a bunch, but it's hard to tell just flipping through which are worth the paper they're printed on and which aren't.

Edited by mj1127, 09 January 2008 - 04:32 PM.

MJ

Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine

300mg Lithium CR, 7.5mg Abilify, 40mg Latuda, 20mg Adderall BID, 150mg Wellbutrin XL

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 Silver

Silver

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

The whole Treatments That Work series is pretty good. The treatment workbooks are supposed to be used as part of therapy. They are standalones, as well, IMO. You can get the therapist guides as well; I don't know that they would add a whole lot to the experience. I don't have a good one for anger, but, of course, the same techniques can be used, and a lot of anger is fear-based...

Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic

Mastery of Your Anxiety and Worry

David Burns' 10 Days To Self Esteem is also still a classic. Yeah, the title sets my teeth on edge (I'm not big on self-esteem, more about the self-confidence) but it is a good overall book.
Bipolar I

Science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. It is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good. --Terry Pratchett

#3 thief of light

thief of light

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Diagnoses:DSM: 296.89, 300.01, 300.02, 307.42, 309.81.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:37 PM

My tdoc recommended Edmund Bourne's The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. We've been working on some of the exercises in it, and it's worked pretty well so far.

Current DX: Bipolar II, GAD, panic disorder, PTSD, migraines, hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, and endometriosis.

Current RX: 5mg Saphris, 200mg Seroquel, 1mg Klonopin nightly with an extra .5mg prn

Potentially Revisiting RX: Zonegran - we shall see. 

Past RX: Amitryptiline, Ambien, BuSpar, Celexa, Clomipramine, Cymbalta, Doxepin, Effexor, Flexeril, Lamictal, Latuda, Lexapro, Lithium, Lunesta, Lyrica, Mirena IUD, Neurontin, Nortryptiline, Prazosin, Prozac, Paxil, Remeron, Risperdal, Soma, Tegretol, Topamax, Trazodone, Vistaril, Wellbutrin, Zoloft

#4 Blackbird

Blackbird

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP2
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Zyprexa, Mirena

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

I use Change Your Thinking, by Sarah Edelman. It is SO practical. She uses every day situations and explains the steps to challenge your thinking clearly and effectively.
For me, it was invaluable in learning the basics of CBT, but ultimately not all that helpful in dealing with a chronic mental illness. The presentation is very concise and easy to read, though and I'd definitely recommend it as a starting point for CBT.

Edited by katjhar, 09 January 2008 - 07:07 PM.

Blackbird
BPII
Seaze (Generic Lamotrigine)150 mg; Zyprexa 5 mg; Mirena IUS

"Human memory is a marvelous but fallacious instrument.... The memories which lie within us are not carved in stone; not only do they tend to become erased as the years go by, but often they change, or even increase by incorporating extraneous features."
Primo Levi (1919-1987)
[/size]

#5 Alie

Alie

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD&Dysthymia, PanicD, GAD, chronic migraines.

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

I know you asked for CBT and not DBT, but I'm really liking The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood, & Jeffrey Brantley. Other than that, I second the recommendation for Edmund Bourne's The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook.
Current Rx: Cymbalta 30mg, clonazepam 1mg prn. Mirena.
Benched: Ativan, Buspar, Celexa, Effexor, Lexapro, Provigil, Nuvigil, Valium. Abilify, Adderall, Buproprion SR/XL, Pristiq. (Probably more I can't remember.)
Current Dx: Major Depressive Disorder & Dysthymia, hints of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder. Chronic Migraines.
Retired Dx: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

#6 Bipolar Bear

Bipolar Bear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I or II, depending on who you ask
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 200, Ultram, Vyvanse 50 mg, klonopin .5 mg prn

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Add another vote for the anxiety and phobia workbook from me.

I REALLY liked it, and it was a fantastic supplement to my talk therapy. I got another one by the same company, the depression workbook or something, and found that I liked the anxiety one much better. It had a lot of good stuff that worked for my depression, too. Probably one of the best investments I made on this journey of mine.

Remember kids, Snape didn't kill Dumbledore, Michael Gambon did.

"Ah, war. God's way of making Americans learn geography." ~ Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

Dx: Bipolar Something (depends on who you ask...), ADHD- inattentive type, some anxiety stuff, PTSD
Alt Dx: "Nutty as squirrel poo." (quote from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
Rx:Seroquel- 200 mg at bedtime, Vyvanse 50 mg, Klonopin .5 mg prn

Favorite things: Harry Potter, Seroquel, flannel sheets, my Tempur-pedic bed, pajama pants, massage, music, reading, Coca-Cola, Starbucks, sleep

Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.

#7 medi

medi

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II, PTSD, Hypothyroidism, Migraine.
  • Current Meds:Li 600, Inderal 80, Synthroid 100, Trazodone 100.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:23 PM

The whole Treatments That Work series is pretty good. The treatment workbooks are supposed to be used as part of therapy. They are standalones, as well, IMO. You can get the therapist guides as well; I don't know that they would add a whole lot to the experience. I don't have a good one for anger, but, of course, the same techniques can be used, and a lot of anger is fear-based...

Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic

Mastery of Your Anxiety and Worry

David Burns' 10 Days To Self Esteem is also still a classic. Yeah, the title sets my teeth on edge (I'm not big on self-esteem, more about the self-confidence) but it is a good overall book.

Is that Oxford University Press series?

Dx Axis 1: BD II. Had been diagnosed with MDD. Am sometimes also diagnosed with PTSD.
Has undergone ECT in 2008.
Current Meds: Lithium 600 mg, Synthroid 75 mcg, Inderal 80 mgs, Ativan 2 mg or more, as needed, Zolpidem.
Have had experience with: Tricyclics (useless back then), Paxil, Celexa & Lexapro ( the three caused jitteriness&/or mixed states), Wellbutrin (also jitteriness, more severe), MAOI-B (Emsam patch)(hypomania, fun, but no way I could sit at my desk and think), Neurontin (innocuous), Depakote (too much weight gain, hair loss, sleepiness, lack of energy, and no noticeable benefit), Topamax (I'll only cite the suicidality obsession as of 75 mgs....), Lamictal (no benefit), Zyprexa (heart palpitations and shortness of breath at only 2.5 mgs), Abilify 2 mgs (serious GI pain), Calcium Channel Blockers (weak --- verrrry).

#8 medi

medi

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II, PTSD, Hypothyroidism, Migraine.
  • Current Meds:Li 600, Inderal 80, Synthroid 100, Trazodone 100.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

I know you asked for CBT and not DBT, but I'm really liking The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood, & Jeffrey Brantley. Other than that, I second the recommendation for Edmund Bourne's The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook.

Whoa... did not know there was a DBT book out there. I must get it. I hope it's not too expensive.

Dx Axis 1: BD II. Had been diagnosed with MDD. Am sometimes also diagnosed with PTSD.
Has undergone ECT in 2008.
Current Meds: Lithium 600 mg, Synthroid 75 mcg, Inderal 80 mgs, Ativan 2 mg or more, as needed, Zolpidem.
Have had experience with: Tricyclics (useless back then), Paxil, Celexa & Lexapro ( the three caused jitteriness&/or mixed states), Wellbutrin (also jitteriness, more severe), MAOI-B (Emsam patch)(hypomania, fun, but no way I could sit at my desk and think), Neurontin (innocuous), Depakote (too much weight gain, hair loss, sleepiness, lack of energy, and no noticeable benefit), Topamax (I'll only cite the suicidality obsession as of 75 mgs....), Lamictal (no benefit), Zyprexa (heart palpitations and shortness of breath at only 2.5 mgs), Abilify 2 mgs (serious GI pain), Calcium Channel Blockers (weak --- verrrry).

#9 aerialiste

aerialiste

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Diagnoses:296.90 (with a nice little helping of GAD/OCD)
  • Current Meds:Emsam 9 mg, Seroquel 50 mg, Klonopin .25 mg PRN

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

Whoa... did not know there was a DBT book out there. I must get it. I hope it's not too expensive.

There are in fact a bazillion of them! But I agree that the Brantley/McKay/Wood workbook is more approachable than Linehan's original manual--especially if you're working through it without the weekly DBT group training.

EDITED for link that actually works.... :mad:

Edited by the unreliable narrator, 09 October 2008 - 08:09 AM.

"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'!" Abe "Grandpa" Simpson

Experience with: Elavil, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Remeron, Effexor, Zyprexa, Lamictal, Lithobid, Emsam, Abilify, Seroquel, Deplin, Cymbalta, Trazodone, Risperdal, Saphris, Rozerem, Lunesta, Ambien, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin.

#10 gaia

gaia

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Diagnoses:borderline, add, bipolar 1
  • Current Meds:effexor, topamax

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

There's one by Marsha Linehan too. It's actually geared toward the clinician, but I found it helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts