Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Ruminating Obsessive Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ugh

ugh

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, PTSD, GAD, hx of TBI

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

anyone gotten any relief from any medication for ruminating thoughts? i am bipolar with anxiety and ptsd and i cant stand the constant negative merry-go-round of thoughts. not that i want to be too dumb for school, but i am just curious what's helped people.

i am on geodon which helps my depression and maybe some of my paranoia... ive tried EVERYTHING, but wondering what i should maybe retry... and the weight gainers are a no-no. i'd rather be insane than gain more weight.

current meds:  Abilify 4mg, Cogentin 1.5mg daily, Xanax 0.25-0.5 prn, Lyrica 100mg, Opana ER 7.5mg bid, Metformin ER 1000mg bid, Nexium 40mg bid, adderal IR 5mg 2 daily, Topamax 25mg

the abilify and topamax are the new meds.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

You say you've tried "everything"...have you tried gabapentin or buspirone? If your ruminating thoughts are from the anxiety, getting that under control might clear them away. Neurontin (gabapentin) is what works for me. I could barely follow a thought through with all the negative clutter spinning around in my head before I started taking it.

You list Lyrica in your current meds...how has that been affecting you? What dosage are you at?

Have you tried longer acting benzos like Klonopin or Valium? What was your experience with those?

What about any SSRIs like paxil or zoloft, or any of the TCAs?

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

#3 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Viibryd, Abilify, lamotrigine, levothyroxine

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

SSRI's and SNRI's might be a more than a little risky for one with bipolar.
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg
Protonix 40mg qam for GERD

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#4 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

SSRI's and SNRI's might be a more than a little risky for one with bipolar.

I am bipolar and have been combatting OCD for a long time. I have been on SSRIs and SNRIs and I admit its tricky, but most breakthrough bipolar symptoms can easily be treated by adding an antipsychotic (which also treats the OCD) along with the mood stabilizer and the AD.

I think it is great that you have had that experience, but I wouldn't agree that "easily treated" applies to everyone. As we say on the boards, YMMV.
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#5 ugh

ugh

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, PTSD, GAD, hx of TBI

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

yeah, people tend to disagree about the AD's, but you are right horselover- i can not take antidepressants.
as far as antipsychotics go- i am on geodon, which in the past has helped with my depression. it helps to be at a higher dosage but then i get akesthesia and dystonia.
yes, of course i've tried buspar and neurontin.
lyrica dose is at 300mg/day, and i am tired all the time so i'm going to taper off that. it has helped in the fact that it makes me talkative, which is nice and all, but its not helping my pain and i'm too tired to do anything. i cannot add something like provigil bc i am on too much meds.
yes ive tried klonopin and valium and they actually cause me anxiety, unlike my xanax.

i am quite the lunatic right now and i believe i have discovered the culprit. i started birth control almost 2 weeks ago. Seasonique. i can bet money that i feel better once i cut that out.

current meds:  Abilify 4mg, Cogentin 1.5mg daily, Xanax 0.25-0.5 prn, Lyrica 100mg, Opana ER 7.5mg bid, Metformin ER 1000mg bid, Nexium 40mg bid, adderal IR 5mg 2 daily, Topamax 25mg

the abilify and topamax are the new meds.

#6 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

Ugh, I hope you find some relief.
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#7 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hey. I never even thought about having obsessive thoughts until my doc suggested a trial of Luvox (fluvoxamine), and then my mind was actually silent and I realized I DO have obsessive thoughts that I just didn't notice because they were so pervasive. The luvox kicks ass! It's worth a trial IMO. Very good for anxiety....it has been the only thing that even touched my social anxiety, and I've been on all the SSRI's, Klonopin/Valium/Xanax, gabapentin, among many more. The generic immediate-release, which works just as well or better than the Luvox CR brand version, is also very cheap. I would give it a try before clomipramine as the side-effects aren't probably going to be as harsh. A skilled doctor can even add clomipramine to luvox if it isn't enough. If you do try an AD and you've had trouble in the past with breakthrough mania/hypomania, you will probably have to up the dose of your mood stabilizer or add another. YMMV. Good luck!

James

Diagnoses:

1. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD - atypical type)

2. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

3. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)(in partial remission)

4. Cotard's Delusion (removed prior to DSM IV in 1994(in partial remission)  

Medications:

1  Cymbalta (duloxetine DR) 60 mg QAM

2. BuSpar (buspirone) 15 mg QID

3. Desyrel  (trazodone) 150 mg QHS 

4. Xanax (alprazolam) 2 mg TID

5. Lunesta (eszopiclone) 3 mg QHS

6. Soma (carisoprodol) 350 mg TID

#8 PaisleyHalo

PaisleyHalo

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Diagnoses:mad
  • Current Meds:Cymbalta, Pregablin,

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

Try 15 mins of meditation twice a day.

Edited by Blue Heron, 30 September 2011 - 03:26 PM.
removed the smiley, because they turn angry on here nowadays for some reason

Diagnosed Bi Polar/ADD
Meds Ive tried : Sertraline, Prozac, Celexa, Paroxetine, Lamyctal, Seroquel, diazepam, Lorazepam (few doses of respiridal,depakote)
Current Meds: Lyrica, Cymbalta.

"From childhood's hour I have not been. As others were, I have not seen. As others saw, I could not awaken. My heart to joy at the same tone. And all I loved, I loved alone."
Edgar Allan Poe

#9 faith_tx

faith_tx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, GAD, Panic disorder
  • Current Meds:Citalopram, Clonazepam

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hey. I never even thought about having obsessive thoughts until my doc suggested a trial of Luvox (fluvoxamine), and then my mind was actually silent and I realized I DO have obsessive thoughts that I just didn't notice because they were so pervasive. The luvox kicks ass! It's worth a trial IMO. Very good for anxiety....it has been the only thing that even touched my social anxiety, and I've been on all the SSRI's, Klonopin/Valium/Xanax, gabapentin, among many more. The generic immediate-release, which works just as well or better than the Luvox CR brand version, is also very cheap. I would give it a try before clomipramine as the side-effects aren't probably going to be as harsh. A skilled doctor can even add clomipramine to luvox if it isn't enough. If you do try an AD and you've had trouble in the past with breakthrough mania/hypomania, you will probably have to up the dose of your mood stabilizer or add another. YMMV. Good luck!

James

I'm so glad you posted this!! I have basically GAD SA and some OCD (mainly obsessive thoughts) and I tried Celexa which worked for two years, but then it pooped out. I switched to Lexapro about 6 weeks ago and it made me really agitated and I couldn't sleep well. It actually made my thoughts more obsessive than they'd been in a long time.

Doctor just put me on Luvox and this is day 3. Of course I'm obsessed about if it is going to work or if I'll have to try something else. My mind gets away with me and then I have panic attacks. I'm trying to decide right now if I should try switching it to night because I'm pretty tired. And if I do decide to switch from morning to night how do I do that? Do I take it tonight or wait until tomorrow night and just skip my morning dose?

#10 faith_tx

faith_tx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, GAD, Panic disorder
  • Current Meds:Citalopram, Clonazepam

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

i am quite the lunatic right now and i believe i have discovered the culprit. i started birth control almost 2 weeks ago. Seasonique. i can bet money that i feel better once i cut that out.

I'm not bipolar but birth control pill really messed me up last time I tried it!!

#11 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

I'm not bipolar but birth control pill really messed me up last time I tried it!!

Birth control can make a big difference, good or bad, it seems. It's a matter of finding the right one, and maybe some of us just don't tolerate any of them well. The first one I went on made me more depressed. I went on the mini-pill for quite a while and was doing well, but when I went off it I started going super crazy the week before my period, to the extent that my pdoc said to go back on it.

I think the mini-pill is a good option if several combined pills have not been well-tolerated, but it's a bit more of a pain because you have to be really exact with when you take it.

Being female can be such a hassle.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

#12 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

i am on geodon

Have you tried Prazosin or Memantine?

I'm surprised you'd recommend a drug used for Alzheimer's Disease (Memantine). Are you using it off-label for another condition? If not, do you have a citation describing its off-label use?

Crazy Meds Talk is different from other medical discussion boards, CCC, in that you need to back up what you post, with details about your personal experiences, or links to citations from trustworthy sources that back up your assertions/suggestions. Anyone who doesn't go along with this is going to find him- or herself repeatedly asked to provide the other board members with that information. So, it'd behoove you to start being more forthcoming here about how you've come by your medical knowledge.That's how you build a good reputation on CMT. If you can't be bothered to back up what you post on a consistent basis, this site isn't going to be a good fit for you, and you'll be asked to move on. We don't clown around on here!

Thanks,
BH
(one of the site moderators)

#13 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have no problem with that, I just didn't want to bog down my posts.

Okay, good. We don't view backing up the advice in your posts as going on too long here. Brevity may be the soul of wit, but there's such a thing as being too brief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog