Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Lexapro And Increased Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Rock

In_Remission_Rock
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Since the doc upped my lexapro from 10 mg to 20 mg because I was a bag of anxiety, the first week or so I had the usual SE, headache, nausea, and so on. But going into week two, my anxiety is sometimes through the roof! The doc did give me Xanax .5 for anxiety, I've been hesitant to take it, not wanting to become dependent on it. When I do take it it does calm me down to the point where I can function somewhat normally. Although a bit 'doped'.

From what I gather, increased anxiety could be a SE, but I assumed it would be when I upped the dosage, not the following week. I guess what I need here is some assurance that this is normal and will pass eventually.

Edit: I forgot to mention that intermittently throughout the day I get glimpses of my old self, be it for an hour or two, then anxiety in-between. I keep telling myself there may be a light at the end of the tunnel!

Edited by Rock, 04 September 2011 - 08:57 AM.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 ellorie

ellorie

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, prazosin

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

Well, when I started Celexa, I had a great deal of anxiety on it. I added some Seroquel to take care of it, so I don't know if it would have faded on its own.
Meds I've taken (italics = current):

ADs: Remeron, Wellbutrin XL, Celexa, Zoloft
Benzos: Ativan, Klonopin
Mood Stabilizers: valproic acid, Lamictal
AAPs: Seroquel
Misc: Imovane
Alternative Stuff: Melatonin, Fish Oil, Light Box, N-acetyl cysteine

#3 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Viibryd, Abilify, lamotrigine, levothyroxine

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

Increased anxiety is apparently a severe side effect, and you should contact your pdoc about it. Before finding this list of SE's, I kept thinking it should not be making worse the symptom that you are taking it for. Maybe it is just not the right med for you.

Also, take the xanax!! Benzos are great anti-anxiety meds and are often rx'd to give some relief until your other meds have time to start working. Short term use will not be addictive if you take your prescribed amount.

Do call your pdoc!!
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg
Protonix 40mg qam for GERD

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#4 In_Remission_Rock

In_Remission_Rock
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

I apologize for not making myself clearer. The anxiety has not increased in intensity from what I experienced prior to upping my dosage, but nonetheless it's still there intermittently during the second week. Just when I think it's subsiding it's back to where it was. Using the phrase "through the roof" was a bad one on my part. Again I apologize.

I will take the Xanax as needed and hope It gets me through this.

#5 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

I apologize for not making myself clearer. The anxiety has not increased in intensity from what I experienced prior to upping my dosage, but nonetheless it's still there intermittently during the second week. Just when I think it's subsiding it's back to where it was. Using the phrase "through the roof" was a bad one on my part. Again I apologize.

I will take the Xanax as needed and hope It gets me through this.

Well in that case, maybe more time with Lexapro will change things for the better. Glad you are not getting worse, although I guess sometimes it seems worse when things don't seem to be getting any better.

I would suggest that you keep in touch with your pdoc if things don't start improving in a couple more weeks, or if your anxiety truly gets worse. I hope the xanax helps in the short term.
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#6 faith_tx

faith_tx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, GAD, Panic disorder
  • Current Meds:Citalopram, Clonazepam

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

I just wanted to say I'm wondering the same thing. I was on 15 of celexa for two years doing relatively well. Then I started having panic again a few months ago. So my pdoc told me to go up to 20. I did that and had some weird side effects so after 2 months my pdoc had me switch to 5 of Lex. The first 14 days were better other than crazy dreams and some insomnia. I also noticed I seemed to crave junk food more.

During this time a friend of mine 47 died suddenly and several family members were effected by the hurricane as well as my brother calling me in crisis mode from trying to quit drinking.

I'm having anxiety again the last couple days thinking up all sorts of things to worry about. I'm not sure if this medicine just isn't working as well, if I need more, or if it's just life. It's bad timing to start something new especially since I am so afraid of medication. My husband says I seem more myself on this than Celexa. Not sure why he didn't tell me I wasn't myself for the last two years ...

I'm hoping I can get by on 5mg to avoid the confusion of going up tona higherbdose and SE. Will it continue to improve over the next couple weeks even though I was on celexa before? I was hoping I could get on this and also get off the klonopin.

#7 In_Remission_Rock

In_Remission_Rock
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

As an update to my original post.

Last week which was the beginning of week 3 at 20mg of Lexapro, up from 10mg. Four consecutive days I felt almost normal. This past Sunday I had a bit of anxiety. Took .25 of Xanax which helped. Yesterday and today I felt like I did in my first post. Jittery and anxious. Called the doc today and he says to cut down to 15mg and see how that goes for two weeks. Most of my jitteriness comes when I wake up in the morning. Like I drank a pot of coffee.

My question is: can I expect some heavy withdrawal symptoms after taking 20mg for 3 weeks and cutting back by 5mg?

Plus I'm going to have a bitch of a time cutting those 20mg into quarters. I already ruined 5 tabs.

#8 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

Plus I'm going to have a bitch of a time cutting those 20mg into quarters. I already ruined 5 tabs.

Have any 10mg left? Or can you afford to ask pdoc to call some in? Or invest in a pill cutter?

Edited by horselover, 13 September 2011 - 05:16 PM.

HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#9 In_Remission_Rock

In_Remission_Rock
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Never had 10mg tabs. Doc gave me a script for 20's to save me a few dollars by cutting them in half. I order prescriptions through my insurance's online pharmacy. So I just got 90 days worth of 20's.

I am using a pill cutter. It's a cheapo one though. Guess I'll invest in a decent one.

#10 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

Never had 10mg tabs. Doc gave me a script for 20's to save me a few dollars by cutting them in half. I order prescriptions through my insurance's online pharmacy. So I just got 90 days worth of 20's.

I am using a pill cutter. It's a cheapo one though. Guess I'll invest in a decent one.

You might still consider getting some 10's if it gets too crumbly and inconsistent.

Insurance won't necessarily balk on a new script if the dose has changed. I have done that quite a few times.

Just a suggestion.
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#11 In_Remission_Rock

In_Remission_Rock
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for your input horselover. Will ask the doc for 10mg.

Today is the first day on 15mg. We'll see how it goes.

#12 In_Remission_Rock

In_Remission_Rock
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:52 AM

Well, it's been two weeks on 15mg, and I'm feeling better. Not 100%, but better nonetheless. Of course I most likely just jinxed myself.

Took a few days after reducing the dosage to feel any positive effect, and about a week to get to where I am right now. Still using Xanax, but much less frequently.

Sleep on the other hand sucks. Can't get more than 4 to 6 hrs of sleep a night where I normally get 8-9. Night sweats are pretty bad. Tried taking in the a.m. and at night with same results. Was thinking of asking doc for a sleeping pill, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

One thing I did notice is a sensitivity to caffeine. One cup of coffee now makes me want to crawl out of my skin. As if i drank 2 espressos. So as nasty as it tastes, decaf is my choice.

#13 Longshort

Longshort

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Diagnoses:Vertigo
  • Current Meds:Lexapro, baby Valium

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Lexapro at 7mg is making me very anxious and is actually raising my blood pressure.

The celexa did not have this effect, and was a good medicine, but it gave me a rash when I went to 20mg.

#14 faith_tx

faith_tx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Diagnoses:OCD, GAD, Panic disorder
  • Current Meds:Citalopram, Clonazepam

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

It's so strange how medication that should be so similar can react so differently. I'm back on Celexa. Still having anxiety but not feeling that crawling out of my skin feeling as much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog