Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Pregnancy And All The Meds! Plz Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wendi00

wendi00

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS
  • Current Meds:Lithium, Seroquel, Effexor and Synthroid

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hello everyone!!!
I just found out I am expecting #3!!!! SURPRISE!! Iím all kind of worried and scared. Iím currently taking 600 mg of Lithium, 150 mg of Effexor and 25mg of Seroquel. So once I found out I was pregnant I INSTANTLY got worried about all the meds. I called my p-dr and she said to cut Lithium and Effexor dose in Ĺ and still take the 25 of seroquelÖ Problem is Iím scared s***less to take them during pregnancy!!! My first prenatal visit is the end of next month. I donít know what to do. I donít want anything to happen to my baby so I really donít want to take any of these meds. Can anyone offer advice or has anyone been in a similar situation. Thanks so muchÖ
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them!!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 bipolar librarian

bipolar librarian

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Have you discussed this with your ob/gyn and pharmacist?
And has your pdoc given you a good explanation about the potential risks of staying on the meds vs. coming off of them?

Dx Bipolar II 11 years ago
Current meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, lithium 300 mg, latuda 40 mg, xanax .25 mg PRN, synthroid 200 mcg, fish oil
Meds used prior to now: Prozac, Buspar, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, mirapex, abilify, seroquel, NAC

#3 wendi00

wendi00

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

Have you discussed this with your ob/gyn and pharmacist?
And has your pdoc given you a good explanation about the potential risks of staying on the meds vs. coming off of them?

TY for your reply. I haven't talked to my ob yet. I go for my first appt Sept 26th, but I am going to call first thing in the morning and ask about these meds. I only talked to my p-dr's secretary since my dr is on vacation till the 12th. The p-dr also wants to see me as soon as she gets back. I didn't take ANY of these meds today just because I'm so scared. I'm just so worried about the withdrawal symptoms. :/

#4 bipolar librarian

bipolar librarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

I didn't take ANY of these meds today just because I'm so scared. I'm just so worried about the withdrawal symptoms. :/

Stopping your psych meds suddenly w/out doc's blessing can be a really bad idea. I'd recommend you inform yourself on the risks, but take a few deep breaths and calm yourself before you do and do not panic.

From the Drugs.com page on Seroquel (emphasis added):

FDA pregnancy category C. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication. Taking antipsychotic medication during the last 3 months of pregnancy may cause problems in the newborn, such as withdrawal symptoms, breathing problems, feeding problems, fussiness, tremors, and limp or stiff muscles. However, you may have withdrawal symptoms or other problems if you stop taking your medicine during pregnancy. If you become pregnant while taking Seroquel, do not stop taking it without your doctor's advice. It is not known whether quetiapine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are taking this medication. Do not give Seroquel to a child without a doctor's advice. Extended-release quetiapine (Seroquel XR) is for use only in adults and should not be given to anyone younger than 18 years old.

I found the definitions for pregnancy categories here:
http://depts.washing...y/Pregnancy.pdf
So "C" is not the scariest one.

Lithium and pregnancy from Drugs.com. It's a category D:
http://www.drugs.com...cy/lithium.html

Effexor is a category C, and what I see in Drugs.com is that the primary concern is if taken in the last 3 months of pregnancy, not at the beginning:
http://www.drugs.com...enlafaxine.html

If it were me, I'd be most worried about the lithium, but I'd be on the phone right away to the pdoc again and to the ob/gyn. I doubt that delaying or skipping your meds one day is the end of the world, but I'd definitely take that day to pin the docs down. Even if your pdoc is on vacation, they should be able to reach her where the situation warrants it -- and in my opinion, this one does.

Current meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, lithium 300 mg, latuda 40 mg, xanax .25 mg PRN, synthroid 200 mcg, fish oil
Meds used prior to now: Prozac, Buspar, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, mirapex, abilify, seroquel, NAC

#5 wendi00

wendi00

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

I did call my OB this morning and I'm waiting on a phone call back from the dr.. I'm a nervous wreck :mad: Skipping meds def didn't help....

#6 Sweetest1

Sweetest1

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1 rapid cycling , PTSD, Anxiety disorder NOS
  • Current Meds:clonazepam 1.5mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, ativan .5mg prn, Epival/Depakote 1250mg

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:12 AM

just remember that if you go through withdrawal the baby does too, and that's why it's better to taper off than to just stop your meds cold turkey.

I'd cut them in half like you were told to, and talk to your pdoc as soon as you can.

You're such a good Mom to want to put the baby first!

I am not a doctor - I am just an !diot.
Nothing I say should be considered as medical advice.
These are merely my personal opinions; of which there is a seemingly inexhaustible supply.

Previous Meds: Zeldox/geodon, risperidone, seroquel, effexor, topamax, lithium, zyprexa, cipralex, trazadone

#7 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Keep in mind having a baby with uncontrolled BP carries its own risks.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Fish oil 7.2 g

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#8 wendi00

wendi00

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

Ty so much!! Today I ended up taking LI/Effexor since I was so sick. I also spoke with a nurse from the OB office... She contacted a high risk Dr (who called me but I wasn't home) He pretty much said TAKE my meds and I need to get an appt with maternal fetal medicine ASAP to talk about my meds... I just have to wait and hear back from my OB since the nurse isn't sure if I need a referral to see them first, and my first OB appt isnt till the 26th. So hopefully they will move this appt alot closer! They will be getting back to me sometimes tomorrow, so hopefully I can get this all figured out soon to easy my nerves.

#9 bipolar librarian

bipolar librarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Just spotted this article and thought it relevant to this thread.

http://blogs.psychce...polar-disorder/

#10 wendi00

wendi00

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

Hi all,
Just wanted to drop a line here.. . I have been slowly coming down on my meds. Now taking 150 lithium, 75 effexor and 25 seroquel (Per p-dr). My first OB appt is Monday and I can't wait!!!!!! I was fighting a nasty sinus infection, now I just have been so out of it, little dizzy, headaches and nausea! I just don't know if it is from coming down on the meds or pregnancy! Either way it SUCKS and I hate feeling like this..... Hope Monday comes fast!!!!

#11 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

Wendi, I recommend you start a blog, so you can keep us abreast of how your pregnancy is going. Good luck with your OB appointment, and I hope you'll have a healthy baby!

"Note also how we don’t worry about taking medicine for pain the way we often do about taking 'happiness' pills like antidepressants. We worry that by artificially changing our mood we risk not being 'us.' But no one feels inauthentic because he took ibuprofen to relieve his back pain."

--"Happiness and Its Discontents," essay in the New York Times by Daniel M. Haybron, the author of the book, Happiness: A Very Short Introduction.

#12 go.ask.alice.

go.ask.alice.

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Diagnoses:c-ptsd, bipolar spectrum (i don't fit well in the box)
  • Current Meds:tegretol, klonopin, levothyroxine, armour thyroid

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

i receive TMS (transcranial magentic stimulation) treatments for my depression and recently added r-TMS http://en.wikipedia....tic_stimulation . r-TMS or repetitive TMS can also be used with pregnant patients as well as patients prone to seizure.

i am not pregnant nor trying, but i thought i would add this information here as an alternative idea to meds as it is working for me. TMS is costly and most insurance companies do not cover nor does it help everyone. just another idea.

i have written about it on my page and would be happy to share my experience if anyone wants it.

good luck with your health and a healthy delivery, wendi!
issues:                   bipolar spectrum, MDD , c-PTSD
MEDICATIONS:    lamictal 100mg, tegretol 400mg(for sleep), klonopin 2-4mg, armour thyroid 30mg, synthroid .050mg
SUPPLEMENTS:   fish oil, d3, magnesium, probiotic, melatonin
THERAPY:             CBT, TMS
trial & error: abilify, ambien, cymbalta, effexor, halcion, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, seroquel, silenor,trazadone, topamax, trofanil, wellbutrin, Zoloft, Geodon

"don't believe everything you think"

#13 wendi00

wendi00

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hi everyone!
It was a ruff 9 months. My "little" guy gave me a run for my money! But after all the sickness I delivered my 9.4lb HEALTHY, HANDSOME little boy!!! Love him more than anything! Truly blessed with 3 kids. I stayed on all my meds during the pregnancy, and was under close eye of my Dr/OB and MFM :) I just wanted to stop in and thank everyone for the support!

#14 KingContraryMan

KingContraryMan

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP2 - ADD

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hi everyone!
It was a ruff 9 months. My "little" guy gave me a run for my money! But after all the sickness I delivered my 9.4lb HEALTHY, HANDSOME little boy!!! Love him more than anything! Truly blessed with 3 kids. I stayed on all my meds during the pregnancy, and was under close eye of my Dr/OB and MFM :) I just wanted to stop in and thank everyone for the support!

From a husband with 4 kidlets Congrats Wendi!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren’t Contagious

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog