Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Lamictal And Energy

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 crazyinct

crazyinct

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, GAD/Panic, PTSD
  • Current Meds:lexapro, 5-htp

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

Is Lamictal an energizing medication, or is it more sedating, or is it neutral? For people with fatigue and lack of motivation as prominent symptoms, has anyone had a really energizing effect from lamictal? Did this happen at a high or low dose?
past rx: lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, seroquel, abilify, strattera, lamictal, wellbutrin

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Sasha

Sasha

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 200mg, Wellbutrin XR 450mg

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

Lamictal is usually a pretty activating med. For myself, I started feeling less apathetic and exhausted at around 75mg, I think, and now that I'm up to 125mg, I'm actually leaving the house and doing thiings, almost like a normal person.
"I tell you, if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman... S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what." - Edith Bouvier Beale

#3 NicScraps

NicScraps

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, OCD, Bipolar II???
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Prozac, BuSpar, Ambien

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

Like Sasha, I find that the Lamictal has had a positive effect on my energy level and ability to get motivated. I'm also at 125 mg/d now.

For me, though, I would not really describe it as activating. It's more like the med is helping with the depression and moodiness, which enables me to get back to a more "normal" level of activity and motivation. I'm still sleeping 9-12 hours/24, but I'm getting a lot more done in my waking hours, and getting re-interested in stuff I used to enjoy.

Nicole
Dx: Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, possibly bipolar II ???, plus hypertension
Rx: Lamictal 150 mg, Prozac 20mg, BuSpar 20 mg, Ambien 5 mg, plus Benicar for hypertension

"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." Mignon McLaughlin

#4 CER

CER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Diagnoses:I'm a clown
  • Current Meds:Too many
  • Location:Recently beat-up HP Pavilion (thanks to my 9-yr old son)

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

For me Lamictal was activating at lower doses when I first started, but it really hasn't been so much at the higher doses. I will have some more trouble falling asleep than normal if I take my evening dose too close to bedtime, but aside from that I really don't feel anything when I'm swallowing those little peach shields.
BPII / ADD

Current meds: Lamotrigine, Topamax, Seroquel, Mirtazapine, Adderall

One day I feel I'm on top of the world
And the next it's falling in on me...

#5 Sasha

Sasha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, ADHD
  • Current Meds:Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 200mg, Wellbutrin XR 450mg

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

Like Sasha, I find that the Lamictal has had a positive effect on my energy level and ability to get motivated. I'm also at 125 mg/d now.

For me, though, I would not really describe it as activating. It's more like the med is helping with the depression and moodiness, which enables me to get back to a more "normal" level of activity and motivation. I'm still sleeping 9-12 hours/24, but I'm getting a lot more done in my waking hours, and getting re-interested in stuff I used to enjoy.

Nicole

This, actually, is probably a better description of my experience than simply saying that lamictal'activating. Although I've always found that it's better to take in the morning than the evening, if I want to get any sleep.
"I tell you, if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman... S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what." - Edith Bouvier Beale

#6 Bipolar Bear

Bipolar Bear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I or II, depending on who you ask
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 200, Ultram, Vyvanse 50 mg, klonopin .5 mg prn

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

Yup. I'm in the "not so much activating but definitely helps with the mood" boat. More than anything it helped lift my depression, which in turn had a huge effect on my energy level. It does cause insomnia if I take it late, so it's a "first thing in the morning" drug for me.

Remember kids, Snape didn't kill Dumbledore, Michael Gambon did.

"Ah, war. God's way of making Americans learn geography." ~ Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

Dx: Bipolar Something (depends on who you ask...), ADHD- inattentive type, some anxiety stuff, PTSD
Alt Dx: "Nutty as squirrel poo." (quote from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows)
Rx:Seroquel- 200 mg at bedtime, Vyvanse 50 mg, Klonopin .5 mg prn

Favorite things: Harry Potter, Seroquel, flannel sheets, my Tempur-pedic bed, pajama pants, massage, music, reading, Coca-Cola, Starbucks, sleep

Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.

#7 NicScraps

NicScraps

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, OCD, Bipolar II???
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Prozac, BuSpar, Ambien

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

I actually take the Lamictal at bedtime. With my Ambien. LOL

(As an aside, I seem to be one of the few people here who has really good results with the Ambien. 5mg per night is giving me the best sleep of my life these days -- prompt, restful, dreamy. I don't notice any carryover effects in the morning, and I'm not doing any of the sleepwalking / sleep eating / sleep driving stuff.)

The Ambien was on board before I started the Lamictal, actually, and the PM dosing for the Lamictal is per my psyMD.

Just another example of YMMV... :mad:

Nicole
Dx: Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, possibly bipolar II ???, plus hypertension
Rx: Lamictal 150 mg, Prozac 20mg, BuSpar 20 mg, Ambien 5 mg, plus Benicar for hypertension

"The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next." Mignon McLaughlin

#8 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar ?, Asperger syndrome, OCD, ADHD

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

I actually take the Lamictal at bedtime. With my Ambien. LOL

(As an aside, I seem to be one of the few people here who has really good results with the Ambien. 5mg per night is giving me the best sleep of my life these days -- prompt, restful, dreamy. I don't notice any carryover effects in the morning, and I'm not doing any of the sleepwalking / sleep eating / sleep driving stuff.)

The Ambien was on board before I started the Lamictal, actually, and the PM dosing for the Lamictal is per my psyMD.

Just another example of YMMV... :mad:

Nicole

For the closest thing you'll ever see to an "Effects of zolpidem in bipolar disorder" article, click here.
Lamictal 350mg/day, Adderall 15mg/day, spironolactone 25mg/day, loxapine 15mg/day, metformin 500mg bid, Vitamin D 3,000 IU/day, Tri-Sprintec

#9 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, GAD,
  • Current Meds:Celexa, Ativan,

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

Nicole

I noticed that you are on Prozac and Lamictal. My pdoc wanted me to take Zyprexa with Prozac to make the Prozac work better but now he's thinking that Lamictal might be a better choice. Prozac does cause me to be hypomanic at times so I need something that will stop that.
Karen

#10 berry

berry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II rc
  • Current Meds:Effexor, Tegretol

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

I don't know, Lamictal is usually stimulating a bit according to most anecdotal evidence. For me it was a shade different. My moods went all over the place with Lamictal. At some doses I felt o.k. At others I had SI. Even had a psychotic break on it.

jook

This sounds like how i feel at the moment. I have energy, but SI, and appear to be bouncing around between 'nondescript weird feeling' and 'mixed'. seroquel zonks me for a few days and then i work my way back up again.

did you stop it because of that?
Ex rx: Valproate, Lithium, Lovan, Edronax, Seroquel, Propranolol, Neulactil, Ziprasidone

#11 lostanddelirious

lostanddelirious

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Mood Disorder NOS, Epilepsy

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

For me Lamictal was activating at lower doses when I first started, but it really hasn't been so much at the higher doses. I will have some more trouble falling asleep than normal if I take my evening dose too close to bedtime, but aside from that I really don't feel anything when I'm swallowing those little peach shields.

"little peach shields"...thats hilarious!
Current rx: Lamictal-500mg, Keppra-1500mg, Lithium-1200mg, Risperdal-1mg, Ativan-prn, Risperdal-prn, Geodon-20mg

Past rx: Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 yrs.), Zoloft, Abilify (3 trials), Celexa, Geodon, Topamax, Seroquel, Cogentin

#12 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

I take 300 mgs, I find it neutral. Not activating or sedating.

Helps a little with mood, but I am not a SSRI guy. I am not taking it for mood, though.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#13 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 500, CLZ 1.5-2, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 0.25-.5

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

I take 300 mgs, I find it neutral. Not activating or sedating.

Helps a little with mood, but I am not a SSRI guy. I am not taking it for mood, though.

nf

Yep.

My house gets really clean at 150, and dirty again at 300.

<sigh>

d

(also not taking it for mood)

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

#14 In_Remission_starry

In_Remission_starry
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

Actually, it makes me really exhausted/apathetic/unmovable. Weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog