Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Tcas And Umm Regularity

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP NOS, GAD, migraine, fibromyalgia
  • Current Meds:signature

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

So TCAs can kind of plug your gut. Is it safe to take something like Senokot (a "natural" mild laxative) once or twice a week to keep things...moving? I'm taking fiber supplements and probiotic yogurt drinks but it's not always enough. :mad:

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)
+ Fish Oil (800mg EPA 400mg DHA),Magnesium Oxide 750mg, Vitamin D3 2000 IU

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline
Benzos: Klonopin, Ativan, Tranxene
AAPs: Abilify
ACs: Lamictal, Neurontin (great for anxiety), Topamax (3 days)
Triptans: Zomig, Imitrex, Treximet
Others: Midrin, Nadolol, Propanolol, Clonidine, Strattera

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Tryn

Tryn

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Enabler
  • 390 posts
  • Diagnoses:who knows, and who really cares anyway...
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Quetiapine, and Sertraline.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

Before taking a laxative I'd try a stool softener first. I use Colace when I need to get things back on track. My pharmacist recommended it after going over my full list of meds.

You might be best served by asking your pharmacist's opinion. They usually know what will be the best for your situation while taking into account all your meds and possible side effects.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Posted Image

girrl88 is no more

I've peeled off layers

and exposed the core

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,319 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Colace is the place to start, not with a laxative.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#4 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 100mg, Bupropion 300mg

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:03 AM

In general the stimulant and irritant laxatives like Senokot, Ex-lax, et. al can be bad about fostering dependence.

Depending on how stopped up you have been and for how long you may want to take a single dose of Mag Citrate if you are really full and uncomfortable. It is the nuclear option, but it can offer you colon a chance to start over. I've done it all of twice in my life.

You may want to try colace first for a few days or do mag citrate and then start colace a few days later when you poop solids up again to prevent getting stopped up.

In contrast to the Senokot, colace and mag citrate work in an osmotic way pulling water into the stool. As far as strength though colace and mag citrate are opposite ends of the spectrum. Colace is great for maintenance, but Mag Citrate is king if you absolutely need to violently empty your colon.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#5 Kay8

Kay8

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Diagnoses:Major depression, recurrent
  • Current Meds:Parnate, Lamictal

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:40 AM

I'm pretty sure Miralax is an osmotic laxative too (polyethylene glycol), so that's another option to try as well before stimulant laxatives.

Edited by Kay8, 02 June 2011 - 05:40 AM.

#6 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

Make sure you're drinking enough water, too.

#7 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the input, everyone. And thanks for the warning about nuclear options, Mr West...I hope it will not come to that. :mad:

I don't know if I've seen Colace in the UK but there are other "stool softeners" I'm sure. Are they okay to take daily or several times a week long-ish term then? I'm gonna stop with the senokot.

As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naive and simple-hearted than we suppose. And we ourselves are, too.

Current Meds: Lyrica 75mg, lithium 600mg daily, Maxalt 10mg PRN, clonazepam 1mg PRN, Reclipsen .15/.03 (OCP)

Ex-Meds:
ADs: Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Celexa, amitriptyline, lofepramine (mostly awesome--wish it were in the US), Prozac, Nortryptyline

#8 DarkReflections

DarkReflections

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:See the About Me page

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Try lactulose. It's an osmotic stool softener, and it's safe to take every day, longterm. It's over the counter here in the UK, or you can get your GP to prescribe it.
Dark Reflections

from a twisted mind...

#9 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

I don't know if I've seen Colace in the UK but there are other "stool softeners" I'm sure.

In the UK it is called Docusol and DulcoEase. Generically it is docusate calcium or docusate potassium.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

#10 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's (primary), sensitive to medication
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, meds for Raynaud's

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

If you try a stool softener, follow the directions on the package.

#11 In_Remission_Anouk

In_Remission_Anouk
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

1000 mg of Vit C and at least 500 of magnesium makes a ginormous difference for me, as does a lot of fiber and good ol coffee in the AM.

#12 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Oh boy, this again. Sorry guys.

So I finally found a combination that works. 500mg magnesium and 200mg docusate sodium (stool softener) daily along with 72+ oz water/fluids.

I recently went to a community clinic GP who said to replace the docusate sodium with mineral oil daily. I don't have the greatest confidence in her; she seemed like she didn't even want to be there and literally googled docusate sodium, clicked through a few pages, and said "well, it doesn't say you can take it long term, so take mineral oil instead."

Anybody take mineral oil every day? Or take a stool softener every day with no horrendous health consequences?

Ex-Meds:

#13 Nurse Ratched

Nurse Ratched

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Migraines
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hammer, my surgeon said it was okay to take softeners long term.

Current Meds:  Ambien CR 12.5 mgs

Former meds: Topamax 200 mgs, Seroquel XR 300 mgs, Wellbutrin 300 mgs, Vistaril 50 mgs x4, Klonopin .5 mgs, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Abilify, Lamictal, Geodon, Zyprexa, BuSpar, Xanax, Depakote, Trazodone, Ambien, Lithium, Risperdal, Doxepin,  Cogentin, Haldol, Saphris, Latuda, Neurontin, Lexapro.

#14 VAL

VAL

Ready for the MCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPII
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

I was also told by a doctro it's ok to take them indefinitely.

Edited by VAL, 03 February 2012 - 04:11 PM.

Current Meds: Lamictal 300mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Neurontin 900mg, Klonopin 1.5mg,  Trazodone up to 300mg and Inderal 20mg PRN
Past Meds: Siniquan, Elavil, Imipramine, Zoloft, Seroquel, Abilify, Nardil, Emsam, Rozerem, Celexa and Ambien
Current Non-psych: Soma 350mg PRN, Norco 10mg/325 PRN, Percocet 10mg/325 PRN, Advair, Nasonex, Ventolin PRN, Allegra, Benicar, Dexilant, Levothroxine, Pravachol and Nexium. 

#15 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

mineral oil every day ? I would not, it is pretty violent in its effects. I took TCA's for years, it get better. I did not have to take colace for too long.

#16 Simba Cub

Simba Cub

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective disorder of the depressive type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks
  • Current Meds:Alprazolam, Clozapine, Sodium Valproate, TMS, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Yup, TCAs got me too. Imipramine worst of all. All I could do was take a herbal remedy. It kinda worked but since the TCAs weren't helping, I just kicked them all aside.

Mind you, one TCA was fine - Dosulepin.

Rich::
Diagnosed with: Schizoaffective Disorder of the Depressive Type; Panic; GAD; OCD; PTSD; Transient Ischaemic Attacks

Experience in: Alprazolam, Aripiprazole, Bupropion, Chlordiazepoxide, Citalopram, Clonazepam, Clozapine, Dothiepin, Duloxetine, ECT, EMDR, Fluoxetine, Imipramine, Lamotrigine, Lithium, Lorazepam, Mirtazapine, Moclobemide, Olanzapine, Paroxetine, Procyclidine, Propranolol, Quetiapine, Reboxetine, Risperidone, Sertraline, Sodium Valproate, TMS, Tranylcypromine, Trifluoperazine, Venlafaxine, Zolpidem, Zopiclone.

1365591961747s.jpg

#17 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Thanks everybody. I think I'm gonna pass on the mineral oil then.

Simba, do you remember what herbal thing you were taking? My pdoc's nurse suggested go to Ye Olde Naturopathic Shoppe and see what they recommend, which I still might do...

Ex-Meds:

#18 blart752

blart752

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mood disorder NOS

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

I think blue heron's and Mr. west's adice is the best, follow the directions on the package if you do end up with using colace.

#19 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

Avoid taking mineral oil, castor oil, or any oil laxative over extended periods of time if you can. This isn't because they aren't effective or you get tolerant, but because they are dangerous when they get in the airway. When I get stopped up I can get nauseous. Aspirating vomit is bad, but aspirating a lubricant that may irritate the lungs is worse.

Ducosate should be safe to take for pretty much ever, but Lexi (university housing rocks) is telling me it may be ineffective if taken long term. If that becomes a problem or if becomes concerning to you I'd check with your pharmacist to see what they reccomend.
________________________________________________________________________________
Not a medical professional. I have been asked whether I am a magician or scientist. Maybe I am neither, maybe I'm both. Take things I've written more than a year or two ago with more than a couple grains of salt, because people learn. I mean who thinks that when the house cat finally catches that bunny rabbit in the yard the bunny is going to kick the cat's ass, but once you see it you have to reconcile it with your existing view of the world.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#20 Cat_With_Wings

Cat_With_Wings

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Diagnoses:BPD, Bi-Polar II
  • Current Meds:wellbutrin XL, keppra xl, prozac

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

Okay, I've got a question. WHEN can you take a laxative, before or after you take your medications? (I take them in the AM and PM)
"Life loves the liver of it." -- Maya Angelou

#21 Mr_West

Mr_West

Would-be Neurologist

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Depends on the kind of laxative and whether or not the drug is extended release.

For immidiate release drugs a few hows after shouls be fine for most classes of laxative. Things get tricky with extended release drugs though. I've it's been a while since you've dropped a deuce and you are going for the Mag Citrate, your day is already going to be shitty so at least check with the pharmacist when you buy the Magnesium Citrate.

CYP 2D6 *10, *39

#22 Halberd of Hope

Halberd of Hope

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

How embarrassing that this is my territory.

Just wanted to share. I've tried all kinds of fiber supplements and most of them did nothing but give me stomach cramps. I found these Metamucil Multi-Grain Wafers (in the Gastric Distress area of your favorite supermarket or pharmacy) and basically they are 2 tasty cookies you eat with a glass of water, while in an upright position (the directions are quite clear that you must consume them in an upright position.)

I feel like an 80 year old woman buying them but...they are helpful. And no cramps.

Ex-Meds:

#23 blart752

blart752

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mood disorder NOS

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Haha good advice hammer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog