Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious
Photo

Help! Generic Wellbutrin Xl Side Effects !

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ~Tricia~

~Tricia~

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin XL, Topomax, Klonopin

Posted 21 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

I have been on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg (generics) for a year now and I have lost 53 pounds.(I had gained the weight by taking prozac for the previous 5 years, so I'm not concerned with the weight loss) It has taken care of my depression, thank goodness. However in October of 2010 the pharmacy changed to the Teva brand and I started getting dry mouth. I then got a canker sore in my mouth that was huge and I took Keflex for 10 days to clear it up. Again in February I got the pain in my mouth and was given another prescription of Keflex, but it didn't work this time. I was sent to an ENT who checked me for throat cancer because I had had oral pain for such a long time, and my father died of oral cancer. (I have never smoked) I was given 10 days of Augmentin to take and the pain went away. I STILL have the dry mouth. The past two refills of the Wellbutrin XL have been a generic from a company named Global, and the dry mouth is even worse. I have only recently become aware that this is all connected. I plan to talk to the pharmacist on Monday and try to find out what company the generic was made by that I started out on and see if I can find a pharmacy in this area that stocks it. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The dry mouth is driving me crazy, my mouth hurts all the time and my lips hurt too.

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 Ophelia

Ophelia

Would-be Neurologist

• Illegal
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Lamotrigine, Seroquel, Bupropion

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

Ouch!

Dry mouth is one of the typical side effects of Wellbutrin and most other antidepressants. I am guessing that the dry mouth led to the canker sore, which then got infected, which is why you had to be on antibiotics. You could check with your doctor to see if that's the case and what to do about it. It's not a side effect to tolerate because it's not good for your oral health.

Drink lots of water! It will probably help, and it won't hurt unless you drink something like 8 gallons a day (I heard of a woman who did exactly that and had to be in hospital; apparently even water, in excessive quantities, is toxic).

I just googled on "dry mouth treatment" (without the quotes) and got tons of hits, including an article on WebMD which could be helpful. They mention a drug called Salagen but also offer a number of non-drug alternatives.
Ophelia

Current Diagnosis: Bipolar disorder + PTSD
Current cocktail: Lamotrigine 287.5 mg, Seroquel XR 50 mg, Seroqel IR 50mg & PRN as needed, Wellbutrin SR 225 mg, Abilify 0.5 mg, Estradiol 1 mg, Aspirin 81 mg, Tegretol + Wellbutrin + Celexa, Methylin, Provigil, Depakote, Prozac, Pamelor, Dilantin, Tofranil, Elavil, Stelazine, lithium, Haldol, Desyrel, Valium, Nardil, and fish oil (for crying out loud! It threw me into a mixed episode)....
..........and others I can't remember
Supps: Calcium with Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Iron, Multi-Vitamin, Glucosamine with Chondroitin

#3 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,105 posts
  • Diagnoses:check out signature
  • Current Meds:check out signature

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:12 AM

I have the same problem with Vyvanse, dry mouth. I find the Biotine products for dry mouth to be excellent. Biotine products are in the toothpaste section at Walgreens and other stores.

nf

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#4 ~Tricia~

~Tricia~

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Anxiety, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Wellbutrin XL, Topomax, Klonopin

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:29 AM

Thank you so much for your responses! It's so nice to know I'm not alone.

#5 In_Remission_chutesandladders

In_Remission_chutesandladders
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

If you find what generic gives you the least side effects/works the best you can ask your doctor to write "must use ___brand" on the prescription. Or if that doesn't work, you can ask the pharmacy before you fill your prescription what generic they use (different pharmacies use different generics) and then only fill your prescription at the pharmacy that has the generic that works for you. Watson generic doesn't work at all for me, it's like not taking the meds at all. But the teva generic is a world of difference. Also, I agree with Notfred, the Biotine toothpaste really helps my dry mouth and it's over the counter. Good luck. :mad:

#6 Classically_James

Classically_James

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:See signature

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

I'm pretty sure Global is a subsidiary of Teva or is somehow related to Teva. Both brands of bupropion are trash. Try to get them to order another generic, I've heard the Watson one is good. I had Global and compared it to my Teva (which I had stopped taking due to side-effects) and both were the same pill. Big oval yellow pills. The Global made me sick as well.

James

Edited by egodystonic_james, 18 June 2011 - 09:52 PM.

Diagnoses:

1. Major Depressive Disorder (MDD - atypical type)

2. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

3. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)(in partial remission)

4. Cotard's Delusion (removed prior to DSM IV in 1994(in partial remission)  

Medications:

1  Luvox (fluvoxamine) 100 mg BID 

2. Abilify (aripiprazole) 10 mg QAM 

3. Forfivo XL (bupropion) 450 QAM

4. Seroquel (quetiapine) 100 mg QHS

5. Xanax (alprazolam) 2 mg TID

6. Desyrel  (trazodone) 150 mg QHS 

7. Lunesta (eszopiclone) 3 mg QHS

8. Soma (carisoprodol) 350 mg TID

#7 fairymonkey

fairymonkey

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Diagnoses:PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Migraines, Severe Memory Loss
  • Current Meds:Adderall 10mg,Valium 10mg, Klonopin .5 mg ,Melatonin 1.5, Rozeram 8,Atarax 50, Maxalt, Celebrex

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have the same experience except its from a brand called Anche. I am immediately going to get the brand name stuff, since I heard from people that they had bad reactions from the generic stuff. My question is, why would this be approved since a lot of people have been having bad reactions from it? I seriously feel crazy and sick at the same time.
My actual diagnosis: It's still a debate. Psychologists can't seem to diagnose me. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder w/ Depression and anxiety. co-dependency issues.
Past meds: Effexor, Lexapro, Fluoxetine , Bupropion XL ,Klonopin, Ativan, Nortriptyline ,Remeron
Supplements: Melatonin
Diet: Strictly Vegetarian

“Sometimes fate is like a small sand-storm that keeps changing directions. You change direction, but the sand-storm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before death. Why? Because this storm isn't something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you.”
Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

#8 forgetmenot

forgetmenot

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar type), GAD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Wellbutrin XL, Haldol, Saphris

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

I had the same effect at first but it went away. I've taken the Watson brand and loved it. I was switched the some other generic brand, budprion (I know I'm spelling that wrong) when I started getting mail order, and just switched back. The new generic lacked the "oomph" the Watson brand had for me.

current rx: wellbutrin xl 450 mg, lamictal 300 mg, Haldol 0.5 mg, Saphris 5 mg

celexa, prozac, navane, xanax, klonopin, vistaril, effexor xr, lithium, abilify, benztropine, buspar, risperidone, trazadone, cogentin, latuda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog