Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar
Brain Cooties Aren
Brain Cooties Aren't Contagious

Ambien Generic

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 In_Remission_Kevin

In_Remission_Kevin
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

Has anyone had any generic ambien that actually works as well as name brand. I've tried two different generics neither worked even close to as well as the name brand. I'm paying a lot for non-generic ambien since thats all that works. If anyone has had any success stories with certain ambien generics please reply so i can have the pharmacy order them and hopefully not be paying as much.

-Kevin

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts Some designs available in packs of 10 and 100
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills
Vaccines
Vaccines Cause Immunity
Medicated For Your Protection magnets at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting

#2 In_Remission_thedude

In_Remission_thedude
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:42 PM

I have 3 or 4 different ones right now. When I take a generic, my wife always knows because she reports that I snored like a freight train. Apparently, not with the brand name. Also, brand name seems to work better. Wake up more refreshed.

#3 GoldCoin

GoldCoin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:46 AM

In Australia, i got a generic called stilderm.

That worked just as well.... but the hallucination's were far more crazy.

Cheers
GoldCoin.
Past Diagnosis - MDD, Cluster A or B personality traits (doctors can not decide), cyclothymia and Borderline Personality Disorder, Bipolar 2,GAD, SAD.
Current Diagnosis - schizoaffective disorder

Past Medication- Lexepro, Effexor, Prozac, Diazepam, Mogodon, Temazepam, Sodium Valporate, Endronax, Seroquel, Lamactil, Ativan, Abilify, Zoloft, Thorazine, Halaparadol
Current Medication - Clozapine (400mg), Allegron (100mg), Xanax (prn), Clopixal (40mg)

#4 In_Remission_gia

In_Remission_gia
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

Hello,
I take a generic called zolpidem 10mg and it works just as well as the name brand for me.

#5 junky69

junky69

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Diagnoses:Missing in action.
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 400, dilantin 200, keppra 3500, valium 5+

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

Zolpidem is what I get because of insurance. Work's like crap compared to original. Before 5mg's did the job. Now 10mg's sill isn't as good. Next time I see the Dr. I'll con him into prescribing me the good stuff.

#6 firedancer

firedancer

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, SAD, GAD, Intractable Migraines
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Lamictal

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

the generic works better for me than the name brand, much better.
Please be nice to me, I'm a blood donor (conquering my fear of needles one pint at a time).

Dx: Bipolar, Intractable Migraines, Social & General Anxiety, Idiopathic Seizures

Current Rx: Lamictal, Xanax, Seroquel XR, Nuvigil, Ambien

Past Rx: Prozac, Paxil/CR, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Ambien/CR, Wellbutrin XL, Effexor/XR, Depakote/ER, Keppra, Topamax, Neurontin, Zonegran, Trazadone, Klonopin, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Lyrica, Trileptal, Risperal, Ablify, Geodon, Lunesta, Skelaxin, Doxepin, Flexiril, Zanaflex, Verapamil, Lithium Carb, amitiptylin, triptans (can't take 'em), pain meds

be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind - dr. seuss

#7 Anna

Anna

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar I, most recent episode Mixed
  • Current Meds:Seroquel, Risperdal, Depakote, Provigil, Neurontin.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

I took zolpidem in the hospital and on and off right after I got out. I found that it didn't work nearly as well, but I got some other generic at some point right afterward and it was like taking a sugar pill (it was from target).

Not taking any right now, thank goodness.

I think ambien is one of THOSE meds, where the name brand is way more potent.

Just my opinion, but it may be one that's worth paying the extra for.

Anna
Anna

Diagnosed Bipolar Type I, most recently Mixed.

Current Meds: Seroquel, Risperdal, Neurontin, Provigil.

#8 jill~

jill~

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Diagnoses:mood disorder,depression,eating disorder
  • Current Meds:zoloft,lamictal,topomax,klonopin,ambien

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

Zolpidem is what I get because of insurance. Work's like crap compared to original. Before 5mg's did the job. Now 10mg's sill isn't as good. Next time I see the Dr. I'll con him into prescribing me the good stuff.

#9 jill~

jill~

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

Has anyone had any generic ambien that actually works as well as name brand. I've tried two different generics neither worked even close to as well as the name brand. I'm paying a lot for non-generic ambien since thats all that works. If anyone has had any success stories with certain ambien generics please reply so i can have the pharmacy order them and hopefully not be paying as much.

-Kevin

[Hi Kevin...My psych forgot to write " DAW" on script and I filled it with the generic to give it a shot. It was like the real Ambien. In other words, I felt it "coming on",I got that smooth,hypnotic feel and slept!!! It is the generic name brand Zolpidem ( 10mg) Made By The "APOTEC" Company in Canada. I was lucky on the 1st shot otherwise I would have just paid like I have been for 10 yrs! 2yrs. back, I tried a generic put out by "Prasco" that is supposed to be a sister owned co. of the original makers of Ambien. I was up all night long! After 3 days of that I was done!! It's the Drug Manufacturer you have to check out who makes the generic version! it's an experiment in terror 1 brand at a time till u find 1 that works. good luck!

#10 Sara E A

Sara E A

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Diagnoses:marburg MS, depression
  • Current Meds:concerta, bupropion, zolpidem, Keppra

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

-Kevin

I've only ever used the generic zolpidem, and 10mg isn't as effective on me as it was to start with. It takes quite a lot to knock me out when my body is determined not to sleep. It works at least 90% of the time for me. Sometimes I'll take another 5mg, but if I don't take it all at once, it usually doesn't really make a difference.
Diagnoses: marburg multiple sclerosis, depression, seizures as a result of a surgery-created focus

Rx: Concerta 54 mg, Bupropion XL 300 mg, birth control, Keppra 500 mg 2x/day, Zolpidem 10 mg, Lamictal 25 mg

Supplements: Multivitamin, fish oil, calcium/vit d, occasional valerian, kava or melatonin.

#11 jill~

jill~

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

-Kevin

I've only ever used the generic zolpidem, and 10mg isn't as effective on me as it was to start with. It takes quite a lot to knock me out when my body is determined not to sleep. It works at least 90% of the time for me. Sometimes I'll take another 5mg, but if I don't take it all at once, it usually doesn't really make a difference.

#12 jill~

jill~

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

-Kevin

Sara~~~
Did you ask the pharmacy what company is distributing your generic Zolpidem?? It depends on the manufacturer. I'm using the generic distributed by "Apotec". There's nothing like the real thing, but this comes close enough for me.

#13 In_Remission_out-sane

In_Remission_out-sane
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

I went from regular Ambien to Ambien CR to generic. For me, the generic works just as well as the regular Ambien.

#14 sunny day

sunny day

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1
  • Current Meds:Depakote, Viibryd, Deplin

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

Has anyone had any generic ambien that actually works as well as name brand.

Not for me :-(. 10 mg zolpidem didn't do nearly as well as 5 mg Ambien. After much playing around with split pills, I paid for brand.
Any day above ground is a good day.

Bench warmers: Abilify, Ambien, Cymbalta, diazepam, Effexor, Gabapentin, hydrocodone, Invega, Lexapro, lithium carbonate, Lunesta, Lyrica, Prozac, Saphris, Seroquel, temazepam, tizinedine, torodol, topomax, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa

#15 In_Remission_Weather Geek

In_Remission_Weather Geek
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

I actually ended up here at the forums because of this exact issue. I took 10 mg of zolpidem 2 hours 45 mins ago, and feel NOTHING. Now given that I NEEDED to be asleep oh... about an hour and a hlf ago... Im not happy. I'm calling my doctor (not P-Doc) and seeing if he'll prescribe Ambien CR (what I NORMALLY take) IF it's insurance covered. If it's NOT, then I'm fighting for a DAW prescription for the ambien

#16 sunny day

sunny day

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP1
  • Current Meds:Depakote, Viibryd, Deplin

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

I'm calling my doctor (not P-Doc) and seeing if he'll prescribe Ambien CR (what I NORMALLY take) IF it's insurance covered. If it's NOT, then I'm fighting for a DAW prescription for the ambien

Best of luck. That's not fun stuff.
Any day above ground is a good day.

Bench warmers: Abilify, Ambien, Cymbalta, diazepam, Effexor, Gabapentin, hydrocodone, Invega, Lexapro, lithium carbonate, Lunesta, Lyrica, Prozac, Saphris, Seroquel, temazepam, tizinedine, torodol, topomax, Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa

#17 sg2028

sg2028

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Diagnoses:major depression, severe, recurrent

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

I've found that the generic zolpidem 10 worked the same for me as ambien 10. I found that the circle tablets (I'm sorry, I don't recall which company manufactured it) worked slightly faster (about 15 minutes or so) then the oval tablets, but otherwise I didn't notice a difference.

#18 Lotus97

Lotus97

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:Depression, Insomnia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

I've taken Qualitest generic Ambien. It doesn't work very well. I've also heard that Teva wasn't good so I haven't tried it. Someone in this thread mentioned Apotex Ambien. Apotex generally has a good reputation so I'll see if they carry that brand in my area, but in case they don't does anyone else know a good generic Ambien brand? 

#19 baseru

baseru

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar I

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I've never had a problem with Teva zolpidem.

Latuda 60mg;   propranolol 80mg;  benztropine 0.25mg (akathisia);   Lamictal 200mg;  Wellbutrin 150 mg;

For sleep (rotating):   trazodone 50-100mg;  Lunesta 3mg;  Seroquel 50mg  

Prn: Xanax up to 3mg;

Efffexor,  Cymbalta,  Zoloft,  Valium,  clonazepam, Seroquel,  Abilify,  Ambien, Viibryd, Chantix, Luvox

#20 benji39

benji39

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

it should work the same maybe placebo?

#21 notfred

notfred

Emergency Second Opinion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Diagnoses:see signature
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Binders, fillers, and preservatives comprise the majority of a pill and they are different in each generic. Only the active med is the same. These effect how the pill is broken down, where in the GI it happens and how quickly, to name a few.

I am in full remission (296.36) from Depression. Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, and the Pseudoparkinsonian tremor are well controlled.

Psyc Meds: Forfivo XL 450 mg (Wellbutrin XL), Abilify 15 mg, (Aripiprazole), Eszopiclone 6 mg (Lunesta), Vyvance 70 mg, (Dextroamphetamine) Levetiracetam 2,000 mg (Keppra), Propranolol ER 60 mg (Inderal)
PRN: Lorazepam 1-4 mg (Ativan), Alprazolam 1-2 mg (Xanax), Dextroamphetamine 10-40 mg (Dexedrine), Propranolol 20-40 mg (Inderal), Ondansetron 8 mg (Zofran)

Supps: Multi-vitamin/mineral, Vitamin D-3 2,000 IU, Omega-3-acid ethyl esters 4 g (Lovaza), Fish oil 1-4 g.

Dx: Depression, Insomnia, ADHD-PI, Epilepsy, Dyspraxia, Tremor

I also take allergy and diabetes + it's complications meds.

All doses are a daily total.

#22 SteveO516

SteveO516

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diagnoses:anxiety, depression, add
  • Current Meds:Celexa, remeron, klonopin, risperdal prn, suboxone

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:04 AM

I take the 10mg Qualitest/Vintage generic brand of Ambien. Qualitest and Vintage are made by the same manufacturer. They work well for me. It works best if u take it on an empty stomach. I sometimes take 2 if I have a late meal. To find this brand ur best luck would be to go to private mom n pop pharmacies. If u live on Long Island and need help finding a pharmacy that carries them, let me know

#23 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 657 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, Cymbalta

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

I've been on Ambien CR since...uh...about 2006, at least? I've tried the generics. None of them work like the name brand. Sad but true.

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,  60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3,

Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#24 Ill-Minded

Ill-Minded

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Insomnia, ADHD, GAD/PD, OCD, PTSD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal 200MG, Latuda 40mg, Vistaril 150mg, Ambien 10mg, Klonopin 1mg, Xanax .5mg, Vyvanse 40mg

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:51 PM

I take generic Ambien (zolpidem) @ 10mgs and I feel no difference. But I think I've only been on generics so I don't know if I'd feel any different when I take namebrand ambien.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shirts to swipe from Crazymeds' Clothes Line See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$51.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious shirts at Straitjacket T-shirts
Bipolar Is NOT Contagious
Also available for other brain cooties.

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog