Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Some Crazymeds mugs to help you wash down your meds. Get mugged for at Straitjacket T-shirts for more. 11oz mugs are $13. 15oz mugs are $14.
Mentally Interesting mug
Mentally Interesting mugs
Medicated For Your Protection mug
Medicated For Your Protection mugs
Team Bipolar mug
Team Bipolar mugs
I <3 Wellbutrin mug
I <3 Wellbutrin mugs
Photo

Seroquel Vs Abilify

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lordrobin

lordrobin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Diagnoses:Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Occassional Panic Attacks
  • Current Meds:Zoloft 150, Ativan 1.5, Depakote 1500, Lithium 150.

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

Would there be any upside to me switching from Abilify to Seroquel? I think the abilify is making me feel wired etc.
Meds I've had experience with: Abilify, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon,Risperdal, Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor Xr, Prozac, Celexa, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Xanax, Adderall XR, Concerta, Provigil, Buspar, Welbutrin XL, Symbyax ,Depakote ER, Ativan.

Feel free to ask me how I liked each and how they worked for me!

Enable Crazymeds to keep ranting about being crazy and taking meds. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Stick to your treatment plan with buttons and magnets. 2.25″ $4 & 3.5″ $4.50 at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Pile of Pills buttons
Batshit Crazy buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Batshit Crazy buttons
Medicated For Your Protection buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Medicated For Your Protection buttons
Mentally Interesting buttons at Straitjacket T-shirts
Mentally Interesting buttons

#2 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Diagnoses:depression, anxiety
  • Current Meds:Viibryd, Abilify, lamotrigine, levothyroxine

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Would there be any upside to me switching from Abilify to Seroquel? I think the abilify is making me feel wired etc.

Are you ready to sleep?
HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg
Protonix 40mg qam for GERD

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#3 lordrobin

lordrobin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

Ready to sleep?
Meds I've had experience with: Abilify, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon,Risperdal, Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor Xr, Prozac, Celexa, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Xanax, Adderall XR, Concerta, Provigil, Buspar, Welbutrin XL, Symbyax ,Depakote ER, Ativan.

#4 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

Ready to sleep?

That seems to be the hallmark of lower dose seroquel. But then I see you've taken seroquel.

Edited by horselover, 12 April 2011 - 07:56 PM.

HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#5 bipolar librarian

bipolar librarian

Amateur Psychopharmacologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II
  • Current Meds:see signature

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:58 AM

Abilify made me more hypomanic than I'd ever been, so there was an advantage for me. I was on Seroquel and switched to Abilify a couple of years back to try to avoid the sedation, and BOY did I get more than I wished for. So had to switch back. I miss my mornings, but I'm in whatever works mode these days.

Dx Bipolar II 11 years ago
Current meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, lithium 300 mg, latuda 40 mg, xanax .25 mg PRN, synthroid 200 mcg, fish oil
Meds used prior to now: Prozac, Buspar, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, mirapex, abilify, seroquel, NAC

#6 lordrobin

lordrobin

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

I've been on the Abilify for many weeks and I still feel wired though, with racing thoughts. What are the pluses of Seroquel?

#7 horselover

horselover

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

I've been on the Abilify for many weeks and I still feel wired though, with racing thoughts. What are the pluses of Seroquel?

If you are bipolar II, are you sure that the lexapro is not feeding the problem somewhat? SSRI's are certainly known for pushing things upward with bipolar of any sort.

So are you looking for something to complement the lexapro and keep it under control? What is your history with this combo? Which did you start first?

Just curious--if you have experience with that long list of meds, including seroquel, what was your previous experience with seroquel?

And as I said before, seroquel will help you sleeeepppp . . .

Edited by horselover, 13 April 2011 - 05:15 PM.

HL

Current meds:
Viibryd 30mg
Abilify 10mg
Lamotrigine 100mg
levothyroxine 0.05mg

Previous meds.:
Lexapro
Pristiq
Ativan

#8 In_Remission_RxSchoolStudent

In_Remission_RxSchoolStudent
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

There is nothing more controversial than the use of antidepressants (Lexapro) in bipolar disorder, as you may know. I follow the school of thought that antidepressants should be used only as a last resort and only in combination with a mood stabilizer. I also hold to the strict definition of "mood stabilizer." Abilify isn't really a mood stabilizer in those terms. I think Seroquel would be a fantastic choice, there is evidence for its use in bipolar depression and for prevention of recurrence of any mood episode. It will make you sleepy, but many people adjust.

Lexapro and the Abilify could both be making you "wired." Perhaps you will find your panic and anxiety symptoms will diminish (and your need for the Xanax) if you eliminate those activating/destabilizing drugs.

Edited by RxSchoolStudent, 13 April 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#9 JLancastle

JLancastle

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar (with psychosis)
  • Current Meds:Seroquel 300 MG, Depakote 1500 MG, Wellbutrin 300 MG

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

I have been taking Seroquel since 2000 and it saved my life.  It cleared my head and handled my depression very well.  When I had to quit lithium for health reasons, the Seroquel kept me sane.  Yes, it is sedating, so my pdoc adjusted it from 400 MG to 300 MG.  He just tried me on Abilify.  I kind of liked it, but it was making it hard to sleep.  My wife said I was getting manic and irritable, which is my tendency...so I have stopped the Abilify.  I was taking 1 MG for a week, 2 MG for a week, then 5 MG this past week.  But like people have said, everybody is different.  

I am going to try taking Seroquel earlier in the evening to make it easier to get up in the morning, like someone said in this forum.  I couldn't before because it would knock me out, but now I am on a lower dosage.  Make sure your pdoc orders blood tests every few months because, like any med, Seroquel and Abilify are hard on your body.  No problems so far...good luck!

#10 xbmcx

xbmcx

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar, Anxiety, OCD, Eating Disorder
  • Current Meds:Saphris, lithium, Lamictal, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Klonopin

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

There is nothing more controversial than the use of antidepressants (Lexapro) in bipolar disorder, as you may know. I follow the school of thought that antidepressants should be used only as a last resort and only in combination with a mood stabilizer. I also hold to the strict definition of "mood stabilizer." Abilify isn't really a mood stabilizer in those terms. I think Seroquel would be a fantastic choice, there is evidence for its use in bipolar depression and for prevention of recurrence of any mood episode. It will make you sleepy, but many people adjust.

Lexapro and the Abilify could both be making you "wired." Perhaps you will find your panic and anxiety symptoms will diminish (and your need for the Xanax) if you eliminate those activating/destabilizing drugs.

I'm in agreeance with this wholeheartedly. Abilify can be activating and though it is indicated for the maintenance of bipolar, can very easily send people into mania (raises hand). I become very agitated and angry, unprovoked. Seroquel on the other hand is more likely to calm you down, get you some sleep (maybe more than you want, but hey, it feels good after being wired). Antidepressants are scary without mood stabilizers so before you continue with the Lex, you might want to get on Seroquel or a better mood stabilizer than Abilify.

Dx: Bipolar-NOS or I (depends who you talk to!), GAD, OCD, Eating Disorder - All, and possible ADD;

Rx: Saphris - 10mg, lithium ER 300mg, Lamictal - 100mg, Lyrica - 100mg TID, , Cymbalta - 60mg Klonopin - 1mg.

Past Rx (alone and in various combos): Zyprexa, Geodon, Risperdal, Abilify, Trileptal, Lithium, Neurontin, Luvox, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Strattera, Concerta, Trazadone, Xanax, Ativan, Buspar

#11 Viceman

Viceman

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Diagnoses:Mood disorder NOS with psychotic symptoms, OCD
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Depakote, Zyprexa, Klonopin

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

I was on Lexapro and it made me hypomanic at 10 mg and even more hypomanic at 20 mg (maybe manic? idk). Lexapro was bad, as stated without a mood stabilizer it can get funky.

I would suggest taking of Lexapro first... or adding Seroquel. Abilify can be activating too, as it is for me right now. Like the poster above me said, it makes me extremely irritable and agitated but I was on it before so I assume it will go away soon.

Sleep helps.

Current dx: Mood disorder NOS with psychotic features, OCD

Past dx: Bipolar NOS, Schizoaffective, Bipolar II, ADD

Current rx: Lamictal 200 mg, Depakote ER 500 mg, Klonopin 0.5 - 1 mg, Zyprexa 2.5 mg

Past rx: Lexapro, Seroquel, Abilify, Xanax IR and ER, Vyvanse, Risperdal, Celexa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Keep up with Crazymeds and and/or my slow descent into irreparable madness boring life. Pick your preferred social media target(s):
Follow Jerod Poore on Facebook
Wear my StraitjacketBatshit Crazy Blog
Crazymeds | Promote Your Page Too
Play Dress-Up with your Imaginary FriendsCrazymeds: The Blog

Just a few designs from our Crazymeds' Clothes Line. See more ways to let my meds express your feelings at Straitjacket T-shirts. Shirts, hoodies & more, $15-$43. Or search the Amazon for your retail Nirvana.
Batshit Crazy shirt
Batshit Crazy shirts
Mentally Interesting shirt
Mentally Interesting shirts
Medicated For Your Protection shirt
Medicated For Your Protection shirts
Breakfast of Champions shirt
Breakfast of Champions shirts